[Kerbal Space Program] Will You Go to Space Today?

1235»

• TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Can anyone here recommend me a planet pack? I've been feeling that space exploration bug recently but I've been to every planet in vanilla KSP multiple times. I tried the Galileo Planet Pack a few years ago and that was really cool, but it's also not updated for the newest version of KSP. Basically just a good mod that replaces the stock solar system with a new one. Or if not that, perhaps a mod that adds an extra, separate solar system to explore as well?

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Surreal. Immersive. Earth.Registered User regular

Skidzilla360.jpg | NH844lc.png | GACSALB.jpg My Blog | Gravatar | PSN | 72INGtl.jpg | HkSlskT.png
    Dac
    Anyone got any experience with the ResearchBodies / Tarsier Space Technology mod? I installed it alongside a new planet mod (adds an extra solar system beyond the Kerbol system) with the intention that I'd have to discover the new planets. Cool, right? But I'm having trouble identifying planets in the Kerbol system. Ike, for example, I've managed to snap a photo with a small telescope (basically by pointing into the dark and spamming the button) but I can't find it with the Tarsier telescope to photograph and learn more about. Basically I know it exists, but I can't take the photos I need to identify its orbit or anything so it just looks like a gray blob.

I've heard the Distant Object Enhancement mod helps a lot with this, should I give that a try? Otherwise I might just disable this mod. It's a cool idea, but I've launched several space telescopes now and haven't really gotten much from them.

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    DOE helps a ton with both of those mods, and is a really good mod in general. You can essentially have iridium flares from satellites in space with it, and it really makes the actual planets really pop out against the background due to their brightness and color (Eve is purple, Duna red, Jool green, etc), which can be adjusted. I believe Tarsier without DOE just puts up an essentially fake image of what you are zooming in on, while with DOE it literally zooms in like it is a telescope and shows you the planet (or ships) as it exists at that moment in the game space. I remember it being pretty cool to watch one of the Jool's moons transit it.

Also, Research Bodies has to be configured for each mod pack individually. It may or may not work with the planet pack you have without setting up the config file. Hopefully you're using one of the planet mods it is set to recognize.

Veevee on
    Zilla360SynthesisTerrendos
    edited December 2019
    Thanks for the advice. I installed DOE and instantly found Ike.

Based on the planets I can see, it looks like Jool, Duna, and Eve (plus Mun/Minmus) start fully explored, and I have to find everything else myself. Since I've seen contracts for sending satellites to planets whose names I don't recognize, I have to assume that the mods are playing reasonably well together.

This career has been a lot of fun so far. Since USI Life Support has time limits for cramped quarters, I couldn't just send Jeb in a Lander Can out to Minmus and back. I got around it by establishing a little outpost space station in low Minmus orbit with a reusable lander. I send a crew to dock there, and two go down for a landing. Plus there's a Science Lab on board, so my Scientists can get a little extra juice out of those experiments.

It's enjoyable enough that I'm doing the same thing for the Mun, even though it's not necessary. I only did a couple of Mun landings before gearing up for Minmus, so there's a lot of science left there. It's also made tourism contracts much easier, since I typically have an open seat or two anyway.

I think my next major project will probably be a surface base. Both of Kerbin's moons have valuable ExoticMinerals and RareMetals available for extraction, and that would help me pay for more extensive surface operations leading to extraplanetary rocket construction. And if I'm lucky, Ike will have a similar bounty of resources. I've always wanted to build a self sufficient MKS Ike base.

Terrendos on
    SynthesisElvenshaeZilla360IanatorGiantGeek2020Gnome-Interruptus
    Can anyone recommend a good explanation of SSTO flight paths? I've never been good at getting them into orbit and I feel like flight path has to be the problem. I built one last night in my test save with 4x Whiplashes and a single LV-N (it was otherwise pretty small). I took it up to 20km to try and build up speed, and I got to around 1100-1200 m/s, but I couldn't ever get my apoapsis up any higher without my engine performance cratering. I even tried taking the plane back down a bit to 17km or so and got a little more speed, but not enough to change anything. Long-term, I'd like to use an SSTO for transferring crew and extra supplies into orbit, as well as possibly to start recovering extraplanetary resources like RareMetals and ExoticMinerals from MKS.

I suppose if it came down to it, I could do some sort of SSTO rocket sort of thing. Still, spaceplanes are probably the one skill in KSP I haven't mastered, so I very much want to improve.

Zilla360
  • webguy20webguy20 I Spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good explanation of SSTO flight paths? I've never been good at getting them into orbit and I feel like flight path has to be the problem. I built one last night in my test save with 4x Whiplashes and a single LV-N (it was otherwise pretty small). I took it up to 20km to try and build up speed, and I got to around 1100-1200 m/s, but I couldn't ever get my apoapsis up any higher without my engine performance cratering. I even tried taking the plane back down a bit to 17km or so and got a little more speed, but not enough to change anything. Long-term, I'd like to use an SSTO for transferring crew and extra supplies into orbit, as well as possibly to start recovering extraplanetary resources like RareMetals and ExoticMinerals from MKS.

I suppose if it came down to it, I could do some sort of SSTO rocket sort of thing. Still, spaceplanes are probably the one skill in KSP I haven't mastered, so I very much want to improve.

I watch Matt Lowne on youtube and he has a bunch of SSTO content. He does lots of fun projects.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited February 20
    New KSP2 video on the advanced rocket types they're adding

...metallic hydrogen engines. And here I thought Orion engines were dangerous.

Also a new status update video. Which seems like stuff we already knew?

Phoenix-D on
    Commander ZoomElvenshaeZilla360FiendishrabbitHandkorInfamyDeferredcrimsoncoyote
    So, I'm playing with both expansion packs on for the first time, and I tried out the new deployable experiments on Mun. Now I get a message every few minutes telling me I've received 0.002 Science. Is there a way to stop those things? A single trip to Minmus and back and I've got 300 messages to clear out, it's a huge pain.

Zilla360
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »
    So, I'm playing with both expansion packs on for the first time, and I tried out the new deployable experiments on Mun. Now I get a message every few minutes telling me I've received 0.002 Science. Is there a way to stop those things? A single trip to Minmus and back and I've got 300 messages to clear out, it's a huge pain.

a. KSP 1.8 update was suppsoed to fix that. So make sure you're on the latest version (only generating science report every 30 days for deployables).
    b. If you have the latest version, go into options so that you have advanced messages enabled (this should have been enabled by default). It adds lovely options such as
    JElEk0w.jpg
    c. If none of this works it's time for some savefile editing and adjusting your savefiles ScienceTimeDelay (note, this is an old-fix used when Breaking Ground first came out).
    In "\saves\default\persistent.sfs" (your main save) and in "\GameData\SquadExpansion\Serenity\Resources\DeployedScience.cfg", change the line
    "ScienceTimeDelay" to "ScienceTimeDelay = 3000000".

The ScienceTimeDelay number is in seconds, 3000000 is about 25 days which is kinda close to the 30 day default for new and updated KSP savefiles. You can alter it whatever number you like (I don't recommend making it arbitrarily large).

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
    Commander ZoomElvenshaeZilla360
    Yeah, I'm on an old version because mods. I'll try that last solution. Thanks for the fix though, my Google-fu was weak.

Zilla360