As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Buying retro console hardware/software

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Jazz wrote: »
    @Handsome Costanza Nice. That N64 got an Expansion Pak in it?

Sadly no, but I don't think I need it for SotE. I'm not sure about Podracer.

IIRC, Racer doesn't need it but it does use it if it's there.

Dang. I'll go see if they have one for sale. I've gotta go up there today to pick up a rumble pak anyway.

Well, a rumble pak is definitely a necessity! But yeah, the expansion pak is worth having.

Especially if you dig into other N64 games. Perfect Dark requires it for single-player, for example.

Fake edit: I found a list.

Games that are enhanced but not required to play with expansion pak are:

Aidyn Chronicles: The First Mage
    Gauntlet Legends
    Hybrid Heaven
    Pokémon Stadium 2
    Resident Evil 2
    Road Rash 64
    Shadow Man
    Star Wars: Episode I Racer
    Turok 2: Seeds Of Evil
    San Francisco Rush 2049
    South Park

Games that require the Expansion pak to play are:

Donkey Kong 64
    Single-Player Mode Of Perfect Dark
    Multiplayer Mode Of Starcraft 64
    The Legend Of Zelda: Majora’s Mask

So yeah, the discerning Star Wars collector is gonna need one :)

They were charging $40 for one. I told him I wasn't gonna pay that much just to make podracer look a little nicer. I'll get one down the line eventually. Did pick up an OEM Rumble Pak tho.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    $40? That's daylight robbery. Don't blame you!

OEM rumble pak is the way to go. I never found a third-party one that was half as good.

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    OHHHH MYYYYYY GOOOOOOOOOD

TJXK9iR.jpg

bV9Ty2P.jpg

*Ascends to a higher plane of nerd existence*

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I like these restoration videos.
    https://youtu.be/2BmGMi0IEx4

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    MY DARK ALCHEMY IS COMPLETE

umtfxtO.png

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    They really need to make an HD N64. Even have a way to swap in better textures like on an emulator.

edited February 2020
    Aight so I got some updates.

@Betsuni I got my carded shadows.. they packed it awfully and it was completely screwed, even worse than yours. The good news is I've sent a report ticket in and I've been informed by LRG staff on Discord that they will most likely replace it. I even got them to let me buy a protective case to ship it in so it doesnt happen again.

Also Josh from LRG said "to expect wavyness" which leads me to believe he has no idea what his audience is, or how to ship something like that. All you have to do is put it on a piece of cardboard and wrap it in saran wrap. They freaking wrapped it in packing paper (which made the card mold to the papers form) and then wrapped that in bubble wrap (for absolutely no reason... except to maybe guarantee that the card warps?) Ah well, they are fixing it now but it's too late for me to order a case for podracer and I am not hopeful that they will figure it out before it ships.

Anyways here is a shot of all my shadows stuff:

Edit: + a Jedi Revan that I got yesterday because the box is purple and I figured why not?

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Oh wow, that sucks that they really have no idea about their customers... At least yours was in bubble wrap, mine was just in the paper filler. I had to load your post on my phone since FF on the desktop doesn't like to load instagram photos. When it loaded I almost freaked out that they somehow re-released all the SotE toys again, then realized that they were from your personal collection and not re-releases. Glad to hear that they will replace yours and let you purchase the case to keep it safe from their crappy shipping.

In a way I'm glad that they did not ship it in the bubble mailer like they do with the other games. I know it is safe, but man does it make me worry that the case will be smashed when I get them.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    I got my Mr. Do! SNES cartridge in the mail.

edited February 2020
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Oh wow, that sucks that they really have no idea about their customers... At least yours was in bubble wrap, mine was just in the paper filler. I had to load your post on my phone since FF on the desktop doesn't like to load instagram photos. When it loaded I almost freaked out that they somehow re-released all the SotE toys again, then realized that they were from your personal collection and not re-releases. Glad to hear that they will replace yours and let you purchase the case to keep it safe from their crappy shipping.

In a way I'm glad that they did not ship it in the bubble mailer like they do with the other games. I know it is safe, but man does it make me worry that the case will be smashed when I get them.

Lol @ freaking out at the pic. Everyones been congratulating me on my "haul" and I'm like... no.. I've already had all this it's just the games... hah...

Edit: btw a crapload of people are reporting bent cards on LRGs discord for all the Star Wars stuff. Yeah they really dropped the ball on this. As long as they fix it IDC though.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Hahaha, well that and Revan since he's at least new. I'm now know that my sacrifice for other collectors to get their pristine cards was not done in vain. At least I know of one who will get a nice card.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Part of me wants to buy that Christmas Neo Geo Mini, but I already got two of the other versions.

Krathoon wrote: »
    Part of me wants to buy that Christmas Neo Geo Mini, but I already got two of the other versions.

Which two did you buy? I only have the first US(?) release.

oosik_betsuni.png

Which two did you buy? I only have the first US(?) release.

I got the international one and the clear white Samurai Showdown one.

Ah so then the Christmas one would at least have a different game lineup... So it would be worth it for that right?

oosik_betsuni.png
    Ah so then the Christmas one would at least have a different game lineup... So it would be worth it for that right?

It has some different games and they are the Japanese ones. So, you can get all of the Metal Slugs uncensored.

edited February 2020
    I had a third party rumble pack with a memory card. Needed the memory card for Castlevania 64.

Krathoon on

It has some different games and they are the Japanese ones. So, you can get all of the Metal Slugs uncensored.

I did not know that MS was censored... Now I need to go research this.

oosik_betsuni.png

The US versions have sweat instead of blood. I think there is a way to hack the mini and enable the blood.

The US versions have sweat instead of blood. I think there is a way to hack the mini and enable the blood.

Oh ok. Eh, not worth it to me then. Besides, I die way too fast in any of those games to notice.

oosik_betsuni.png
    edited February 2020
    Hahaha, well that and Revan since he's at least new. I'm now know that my sacrifice for other collectors to get their pristine cards was not done in vain. At least I know of one who will get a nice card.

Maybe, we will see. They still haven't responded to my ticket but they sent me an email apologizing for the delay. I have a feeling there's a lot of people trying to exchange. All I know is if they don't replace it I'll never do business with them again and I will just get all the cool SW stuff second hand on Ebay.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Hmm, yeah sounds like they have no idea about serious collectors.

oosik_betsuni.png
    I got the pc version of Shadows of the Empire.

I got the pc version of Shadows of the Empire.

Not the Limited Run though, right? IIRC they didnt do a PC ver.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    b6WOTC4.jpg
    Here's mine. Packaging isn't as fancy but it's complete!

I haven't ran my N64 in like ten years. I wonder if it still works.

I tried getting Shadows of the Empire to run on Win10 with no luck. Then, I remembered I had it on gog.

As a rule of thumb, always check if you have it on gog before trying to install an old game.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

No moving parts so it's pretty likely to work.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    edited February 2020
    Shadowfire wrote: »

No moving parts so it's pretty likely to work.

Also it's Nintendo hardware, and everything after the NES is practically indestructible, doubly so the ones with no moving parts.

(May not apply to controllers, mind.)

Jazz on
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Y'all forgetting about capacitors.

No idea if that's an N64 problem but, it is for many, many systems.

Also clock batteries but those aren't so hard to recover from.

rahkeesh2000 on
    Yeah. I wonder if my old Xbox has one of those ruptured clock capacitors. I also have a Halo edition that I think is recent enough to not have that problem.

edited February 2020
    I was just reading an article someone wrote about refurbishing a Spectrum 128K (nicknamed the "toastrack" for its distinctive external heatsink). Naturally one of the things he did was fully recap it.

At least on one of those it doesn't look too hard if you're okay with a soldering iron and some patience.

Edited to add the link.

Jazz on
    Should I get Equinox for the SNES?

Rebel Assault!

On Sega CD.....

Uhhh How much are Sega CD's?

Resident 8bitdo expert.
    When I play it on PC, I find the crosshairs in Rebel Assault to be really floaty. When I play sequel, they are fine.

Rebel Assault!

On Sega CD.....

What the heck????? Why... So... Wait... What the.... I want it, but not for the Sega CD.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Was Robocop for the nes good?

Rebel Assault!

On Sega CD.....

What the heck????? Why... So... Wait... What the.... I want it, but not for the Sega CD.

Same boat. Here's hoping they do a PC version.

Resident 8bitdo expert.

Rebel Assault!

On Sega CD.....

Same boat. Here's hoping they do a PC version.

I'm beginning to think that with the games being on Steam and GoG might be blocking the LRG PC releases. Mainly because last year they announced RA was going to be for the PC and now it is Sega CD. The other PC games never materialized either...

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Was Robocop for the nes good?

Not really good....but interesting.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!