As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Outer Wilds - Space Exploration, 22 Minutes At A Time

• Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    Hopefully I can join in all the spoiler fun soon! I had a really productive day tonight.
    I think I finished up the Interloper, having reached the center of the comet and found the bodies of the two poor bastard Nomai that were there, plus the remnants of what I assume is the source of ghost matter.

Heartened, I headed back to the Sunless City, figuring out the way to the Eye Temple, the Anglerfish room (more on that in a minute) and the High Energy Lab, which means I finally have a decentish idea of what's going on in this game. The notes are still saying there is more to explore here, though, and I'm not sure what it is, unless it involves some experiment I can do at the Lab, or possibly the missing projection tile near the outside entrance.

With the Twins more or less done for now, I finally bit the bullet and went to ... sigh ... the Dark Bramble. Let me tell you something. I've played a lot of survival horror games in my time. I am nonetheless not proud of my reaction the first time one of them woke up and chomped on my ship. I think I'm about 2/3-3/4 done with the Bramble now, having found Feldspar, Escape Pod 3, and the Vessel, though there seems to be a password lock on the bridge and a broken warp core I may need to replace? Not sure about that, and I'm not about to go through that hellish anglerfish minefield again until I am certain.

On the plus side, visiting Feldspar meant I figured out that Giant's Deep center puzzle. These are my favorite "gates" in this game, no weird item or password needed, just a completely out of context solution that you could theoretically solve on your first try.

Now that I explored all of the obvious planets, I'm kind of stymied about my next plan? Finally hit the Quantum Moon? I could, but I still didn't figure out a way to get to the Tower of Quantum Knowledge in time to fully explore it, and I have to find the Quantum signal on the Twins still. Another attempt at the Southern Observatory? Doable, if annoying, and I'm sure I missed at least a few notes there. Back to the orbital cannon remains? I think I was supposed to do something with the module with the cracked airlock before. And there's still that Black Hole Lab, which I still don't know how to get into. Unless....maybe once it's connected up top again, I could get it from the White Fountain Lab?

I'll probably get back to the game again in a day or two. Is my line of thought at the end there correct? If not, I could appreciate maybe a slight nudge in which direction I should explore next at my stage of the game.
    Right idea on the black hole lab, I’d say to follow that strand about Giant’s Deep Center first though

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Nudge below:
    If you worked out all of Ash Twins you'd have an idea how to proceed for sure.

But if you haven't been everywhere else you may want to do that still.

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Hopefully I can join in all the spoiler fun soon! I had a really productive day tonight.
    I think I finished up the Interloper, having reached the center of the comet and found the bodies of the two poor bastard Nomai that were there, plus the remnants of what I assume is the source of ghost matter.

Heartened, I headed back to the Sunless City, figuring out the way to the Eye Temple, the Anglerfish room (more on that in a minute) and the High Energy Lab, which means I finally have a decentish idea of what's going on in this game. The notes are still saying there is more to explore here, though, and I'm not sure what it is, unless it involves some experiment I can do at the Lab, or possibly the missing projection tile near the outside entrance.

With the Twins more or less done for now, I finally bit the bullet and went to ... sigh ... the Dark Bramble. Let me tell you something. I've played a lot of survival horror games in my time. I am nonetheless not proud of my reaction the first time one of them woke up and chomped on my ship. I think I'm about 2/3-3/4 done with the Bramble now, having found Feldspar, Escape Pod 3, and the Vessel, though there seems to be a password lock on the bridge and a broken warp core I may need to replace? Not sure about that, and I'm not about to go through that hellish anglerfish minefield again until I am certain.

On the plus side, visiting Feldspar meant I figured out that Giant's Deep center puzzle. These are my favorite "gates" in this game, no weird item or password needed, just a completely out of context solution that you could theoretically solve on your first try.

Now that I explored all of the obvious planets, I'm kind of stymied about my next plan? Finally hit the Quantum Moon? I could, but I still didn't figure out a way to get to the Tower of Quantum Knowledge in time to fully explore it, and I have to find the Quantum signal on the Twins still. Another attempt at the Southern Observatory? Doable, if annoying, and I'm sure I missed at least a few notes there. Back to the orbital cannon remains? I think I was supposed to do something with the module with the cracked airlock before. And there's still that Black Hole Lab, which I still don't know how to get into. Unless....maybe once it's connected up top again, I could get it from the White Fountain Lab?

I'll probably get back to the game again in a day or two. Is my line of thought at the end there correct? If not, I could appreciate maybe a slight nudge in which direction I should explore next at my stage of the game.
    Tower of Quantum Knowledge, should be safe for you to click
    The way you found into it, waiting for it to fall through the black hole and exploring it in zero G, is the intended way. If you really want more time to explore it, you can do some bullshit with slingshotting yourself around the black hole and up into the tower, but that's very hard and definitely not the intended method. I think the time that the tower falls is a bit RNG, related to how many rocks from hollow's lantern hit the chunk of the surface it's tethered to, so you might be able to get more time to explore in zero G than you got last time.

• pookapooka Registered User regular
    what a game

lfchwLd.jpg
  • EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Well, that took a bit longer tha planned! I had less chances for decent playing sessions than I expected, but I was up until 2 am finally finishing the game last night!
    Out of curiosity, how many tries did the end game run take everyone? I think I died like 4-5 times to fish chomps...and once to flying into the sun. Whoops!

I was a bit relieved but annoyed that dying in the end game just brings you to tour last save, but in retrospect, it makes sense. After all, the Eye is pure quantum possibility, so it could just disentangle itself to the universes where you die and entangle to the one where you win.

I admit I had to look up hints for some of the Ash Twin puzzles, but overall I was quite satisfied with the ending. The whole "Artificial Deep Crunch/Big Bang Cycle to Prevent the Heat Death of the Universe" is one if my favorite scifi concepts, and one I find plausible in the real world.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Well, that took a bit longer tha planned! I had less chances for decent playing sessions than I expected, but I was up until 2 am finally finishing the game last night!
    Out of curiosity, how many tries did the end game run take everyone? I think I died like 4-5 times to fish chomps...and once to flying into the sun. Whoops!

I was a bit relieved but annoyed that dying in the end game just brings you to tour last save, but in retrospect, it makes sense. After all, the Eye is pure quantum possibility, so it could just disentangle itself to the universes where you die and entangle to the one where you win.

I admit I had to look up hints for some of the Ash Twin puzzles, but overall I was quite satisfied with the ending. The whole "Artificial Deep Crunch/Big Bang Cycle to Prevent the Heat Death of the Universe" is one if my favorite scifi concepts, and one I find plausible in the real world.
    It probably took me over a dozen tries, but that was because I had 3 or 4 times where I actually got there, but thought I had to use the room teleporter to get to the eye and I guess I never tried putting the system in forward after I had input the coordinates, so I thought it did nothing. Finally had to look up the answer because I didn't want to spend another loop trying to figure out what Iwas doing wrong.

Undead Scottsman on
  • DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    This game made me suuuuuper motion sick, so I ended up having to watch the ending on youtube instead of playing it through myself.
    oh no, finding meaning through connections with loved ones in the face of an uncaring universe is my kryptonite

I'm crying

Oh noooooo

Didgeridoo on
  • LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    i'd managed to get the ending run down on my second run (the first one failed because i commenced too late and got supernovaed in the brambles)

by that point i'd managed to get the
    engines off before you enter the room and coasting by just on a tiny bit of momentum past that room with the 3 fish

strategy pretty much mastered

i understand it's super frustrating for some people but gosh that single room is amazing once i figured out that whole deal. You just get out of the pilot seat and look around.

Lalabox wrote: »
    i'd managed to get the ending run down on my second run (the first one failed because i commenced too late and got supernovaed in the brambles)

by that point i'd managed to get the
    engines off before you enter the room and coasting by just on a tiny bit of momentum past that room with the 3 fish

strategy pretty much mastered

i understand it's super frustrating for some people but gosh that single room is amazing once i figured out that whole deal. You just get out of the pilot seat and look around.

How do you see beyond your viewscreen, though? Do you just leap out of the hatch? I would assume that they would hear that.

So, two quick other questions. First, does anyone know any good let's players for this game? Ideally, they would be mostly blind, talkative and emotive but not too annoying about it, you know? I'd hope the Grumps would play it, but they haven't done so yet.

Second,
    In your opinions, is the reason the planets and solar system are so tiny due to the story, or just a concession to gameplay? I was thinking that being so close to the end of the universe might have caused things to degrade to these tiny planets and whatnot. Which also might explain the permanent damage to Brittle Hollow and Hollow's Lantern.

AngriestPat did a playthrough of it, that should be on his youtube archive channel.

The planets actually being tiny and that not being just a gameplay thing would make sense with how the Hearthians are able to go interplanetary with ships made out of wood, and reach orbit by accident in some previous incident. A full size planet would take too much ∆v to get to orbit for either of those to normally make sense, but it might make sense if they actually are those little tiny planets with correspondingly weaker gravity wells.

Are we ... cool with Pat? That's former Super Best Friend, right? I remember a lot of issues around him and his girlfriend when that channel broke up.

Unrelated, but Masi Okay founded this game's developer?! Wow, hell of a second career path.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I finally finished the Reed/Adelaide thing at Edgewater. I only have a couple hours a week to play videogames these days. Good stuff, great writing. Parvati is a fun character.

The game is gorgeous, aside from the really tiny font size in the menus

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I finally finished the Reed/Adelaide thing at Edgewater. I only have a couple hours a week to play videogames these days. Good stuff, great writing. Parvati is a fun character.

The game is gorgeous, aside from the really tiny font size in the menus

If you're not making a joke- wrong thread!

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    The threads shoulda just been merged at some point without telling anybody.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Has someone here experienced horrendous, recurring slowdown while playing this, and solved the issue? I love the game but the performance hiccups (heavy slowdown with no seeming reason) are too much. Fullscreen or no, Vsync or no.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Absalon wrote: »
    Has someone here experienced horrendous, recurring slowdown while playing this, and solved the issue? I love the game but the performance hiccups (heavy slowdown with no seeming reason) are too much. Fullscreen or no, Vsync or no.

What's your hardware spec?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

I'm playing at a humble resolution on an HP laptop with a 1060 and an i7-8750H processor.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

I'm playing at a humble resolution on an HP laptop with a 1060 and an i7-8750H processor.

got the latest and greatest video drivers? Running an SSD? Is your storage device out of space? How much RAM? Over 8gb? Could be having RAM cache. a 1060 mobile might be on the low end, still should run though.

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    I finished this a few days ago, and the story of the Nomai has been dominating my thoughts since.

Very spoilery question:
    Can anyone explain to me how the Ash Twin Project works? I have a vague understanding of it. The fact that it involves time travel is messing with my head though. I'll try to put my understanding down, and I would appreciate some feedback or a link to an explainer. I haven't found one that covers everything.

At the time the game starts, the player comes across the mask, pairs with it, the sun goes supernova naturally, the project initiates, and the information you've learned gets sent back 22 minutes to a previous (possibly also alternate?) version of yourself. You don't time travel, but knowledge of your experience does. Is all that accurate?

A few things are unclear: The project states that it has fired the cannon over 9000 times. This means that at some point in the "timeline" the sun went supernova for the first time (notably not the first cycle) and sent data back (to no living creatures) 22 minutes, and has been doing so for 9000+ cycles. At some point, the Orbital Probe found the Eye. No way to know when among those 9000+ times. You just happen to have entered the cycle by walking near the mask in this version of reality. Otherwise you would have been in on the cycles since cycle #1 or some other arbitrary number. That seems fuzzy, so if I'm wrong, I'd love to be corrected.

The other thing concerns the vector of the Orbital Probe Cannon every cycle. It's different. How is that possible? Should I also chalk that up to parallel realities?

How did the cannon know to fire right before the sun going supernova? Is it because the sun going nova starts the project and sends info back in time? Including to the cannon?

Renzo on
    Renzo wrote: »
    I finished this a few days ago, and the story of the Nomai has been dominating my thoughts since.

Very spoilery question:
    Can anyone explain to me how the Ash Twin Project works? I have a vague understanding of it. The fact that it involves time travel is messing with my head though. I'll try to put my understanding down, and I would appreciate some feedback or a link to an explainer. I haven't found one that covers everything.

At the time the game starts, the player comes across the mask, pairs with it, the sun goes supernova naturally, the project initiates, and the information you've learned gets sent back 22 minutes to a previous (possibly also alternate?) version of yourself. You don't time travel, but knowledge of your experience does. Is all that accurate?

A few things are unclear: The project states that it has fired the cannon over 9000 times. This means that at some point in the "timeline" the sun went supernova for the first time (notably not the first cycle) and sent data back (to no living creatures) 22 minutes, and has been doing so for 9000+ cycles. At some point, the Orbital Probe found the Eye. No way to know when among those 9000+ times. You just happen to have entered the cycle by walking near the mask in this version of reality. Otherwise you would have been in on the cycles since cycle #1 or some other arbitrary number. That seems fuzzy, so if I'm wrong, I'd love to be corrected.

The other thing concerns the vector of the Orbital Probe Cannon every cycle. It's different. How is that possible? Should I also chalk that up to parallel realities?

How did the cannon know to fire right before the sun going supernova? Is it because the sun going nova starts the project and sends info back in time? Including to the cannon?

1. Yes, your initial hypothesis is correct.

2. You actually do know when it found the eye, the cycle right before you pair with the mask. The system doesn't turn on the masks until it finds the eye, that way the Naiomi aren't trapped in the cycle. They just wake up, and turn off the super nova system on the sun station, and bam, location of the eye. They made the mistake of dying off though, so woops, you get paired and have no idea how to stop things! It took 9000+ cycles, but it could have taken a million and drove a person mad, reliving 22 minutes, a million times over.

3. The probe cannon knows to change vectors every time because the data of where it fired is sent back, and for each failure it knows to target a different area of sky.

4. You are correct. The cannon is programmed to fire 22 minutes before the super nova, so when the sun goes nova the first time it starts the sequence.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I did my first run tonight

It was unnerving

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular

Very spoilery question:

2. You actually do know when it found the eye, the cycle right before you pair with the mask. The system doesn't turn on the masks until it finds the eye, that way the Naiomi aren't trapped in the cycle. They just wake up, and turn off the super nova system on the sun station, and bam, location of the eye. They made the mistake of dying off though, so woops, you get paired and have no idea how to stop things! It took 9000+ cycles, but it could have taken a million and drove a person mad, reliving 22 minutes, a million times over.

3. The probe cannon knows to change vectors every time because the data of where it fired is sent back, and for each failure it knows to target a different area of sky.

4. You are correct. The cannon is programmed to fire 22 minutes before the super nova, so when the sun goes nova the first time it starts the sequence.
    Thanks, that's very helpful.

I hadn't thought to consider the cannon/info systems and the mask system as different things. The info system sent info back for 9000+ cycles, but the masks weren't active until the Eye was found. So the game starts as 2 connected happenstances occur The Probe finds the Eye, which activates the masks/statues, AND you walk near the statue.

Concerning the cannon again. Why don't we see it reorient after the time travel info dump? It's always already pointing in a new direction as we wake up. Shouldn't it have to find a new vector?

Very spoilery question:

I hadn't thought to consider the cannon/info systems and the mask system as different things. The info system sent info back for 9000+ cycles, but the masks weren't active until the Eye was found. So the game starts as 2 connected happenstances occur The Probe finds the Eye, which activates the masks/statues, AND you walk near the statue.

Concerning the cannon again. Why don't we see it reorient after the time travel info dump? It's always already pointing in a new direction as we wake up. Shouldn't it have to find a new vector?
    Maybe it reorients before you wake up?

cB557 wrote: »

Very spoilery question:

Maybe it reorients before you wake up?
    This. The probe always flys off on a new trajectory every time you wake up. I believe there are videos of you waking up and the probe flying towards you and killing you.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Well! I just finished the game. I’m really proud of myself for completing it start to finish with no hints or anything. I actively avoided this thread and even reviews until I finished the game. I was tempted to once or twice, especially right near the very end but I refrained.

The last piece of the puzzle for me was...

***Huge spoiler!***
    figuring out how to warp into the Ash Twin core.

This is one of the best games I’ve ever played. I absolutely loved it. It had a gentle beauty to it, too.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    edited March 2020
    Drez wrote: »
    Well! I just finished the game. I’m really proud of myself for completing it start to finish with no hints or anything. I was tempted to once or twice, especially right near the very end.
    The last piece of the puzzle for me was figuring out how to warp into the Ash Twin core.

This is one of the best games I’ve ever played. I absolutely loved it. It had a gentle beauty to it, too.

Did you do all the quantum stuff? Did you get the special ending?

webguy20 on
    I also never turned on the “point out logical relationships automatically” option or whatever it’s called. What does that do? I did have the game alert me whenever the ships log was updated but that was pretty obvious anyway.

Massive endgame spoilers:
    It took me just the one try but I was super paranoid that removing the advanced warp core meant the time loop would stop so that if I failed the loop would no longer occur. I was very jittery during my float toward the Vessel and in fact I had to outrun an anglerfish (sorta) because I entered one of the Dark Bramble seeds at the wrong angle, had to adjust, and attracted an anglerfish.

THEN I almost died in the...erm...afterlife? Beforelife? Because I jumped into the final crevice on the quantum moon before I entered the eye and almost killed myself. I took like 50% damage. I’m assuming you can restart your save at that point?

I actually died once before the game even saved at all when I first started playing. I fell off a cliff or something before I even activated the statue at the beginning of the game! That feels like forever ago, now.

Well! I just finished the game. I’m really proud of myself for completing it start to finish with no hints or anything. I was tempted to once or twice, especially right near the very end.
    The last piece of the puzzle for me was figuring out how to warp into the Ash Twin core.

Huge ending spoilers:
    I...assume so...?

Is the special ending the 14.3 billion years later stinger?

Basically, my ending was: Bring warp core from Ash Twin to Vessel, launch Vessel, warp to quantum moon, jump into the eye, find the Outer Wilds folks plus Solanium, collapse the infinite...credits and then stinger.

Did I miss something?

Huge ending spoilers:
    I...assume so...?

Basically, my ending was: Bring warp core from Ash Twin to Vessel, launch Vessel, warp to quantum moon, jump into the eye, find the Outer Wilds folks plus Solanium, collapse the infinite...credits and then stinger.

Did I miss something?
    If you don't meet Solanum on the moon, she doesn't show up at the end.

Huge ending spoilers:
    I...assume so...?

Did I miss something?

Ah, okay.

Huge spoilers again!
    So I guess I did get the special/best ending?

I did do one questionable thing.

I knew that to access the top level of the Hanging City, I was supposed to warp there somehow because I saw the white hole core “landing pad” up above. But I hadn’t yet figured out the relationships between the towers and the accompanying destination attunements.

The way the Hanging City works...allows you to flip your ship upside down and land on the 4th level walkway.

After that I figured out that I needed to wrap there from Ash Twin but I may not have if I didn’t land there with my upside down trick first.

It’s not that big a deal but it’s the only blemish on my playthough since you’re not really supposed to do what I did to progress there.

Huge ending spoilers:
    I...assume so...?

Did I miss something?

Ah, okay.

Huge spoilers again!
    So I guess I did get the special/best ending?

I did do one questionable thing.

I knew that to access the top level of the Hanging City, I was supposed to warp there somehow because I saw the white hole core “landing pad” up above. But I hadn’t yet figured out the relationships between the towers and the accompanying destination attunements.

The way the Hanging City works...allows you to flip your ship upside down and land on the 4th level walkway.

After that I figured out that I needed to wrap there from Ash Twin but I may not have if I didn’t land there with my upside down trick first.

It’s not that big a deal but it’s the only blemish on my playthough since you’re not really supposed to do what I did to progress there.
    Hey, what works works. I got to the tower of quantum knowledge by slingshotting myself around the black hole and up into the tower.

Question: What does that Rumor Mode do exactly? I guess I could go reload my save and turn it on to check but what does it do? Is it in addition to the ship’s log?

Statement: My only regret is that I got the game for 25% off. I wish I had paid full price. Honestly, it’s such a damn good game. Have these devs ever made anything else or are they working on anything else right now?

• Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Question: What does that Rumor Mode do exactly? I guess I could go reload my save and turn it on to check but what does it do? Is it in addition to the ship’s log?

Statement: My only regret is that I got the game for 25% off. I wish I had paid full price. Honestly, it’s such a damn good game. Have these devs ever made anything else or are they working on anything else right now?

Rumour mode arranges the log items in a Pepe Silvia chart, it's really useful for seeing how the pieces relate to each other and choosing which thread to explore next.

Much like Portal, the prototype of the game was the dev team's student project that was amazing and they got funding and some new talent for, so they haven't made anything else yet. If they're working on something else, it's probably way too early to be announced.

broken image link
    Okay thanks,

• GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure the reason why the solar system is so tiny is absolutely a concession to gameplay to allow them to use simplified physics models so all the calculations the game constantly has to make burn out folks computers.

You know what they say

Tiny ship, tiny universe

I wonder whether the white hole and white hole station are programmed to just be at fixed points in space, or if the white hole has an orbit and the station is at its first Lagrangian point with the sun.

Did anyone else, when they first started the game, get really immersed in the intro sequence and end up grinning ear to ear as they went through the museum because they were so excited and proud to be an astronaut?