As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Any sufficiently advanced [tech] thread is indistinguishable from a magic thread

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2020
    Heffling wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Daimar wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    The datacenter mineral oil setups are fucking crazy.

Just like 30 servers in this weird ass tub-esque vat filled with mineral oil. Imaging having to maintain it... clean room is definitely the way to go with that shit.

I'm just picturing a tub with computer parts and right next to it a cylinder of bacta fluid with a person in it like Luke on Hoth.
    That's right, boys, mondo cool
    Not Lando cool?
    Nobody can be that cool.

Edit: totp perfection.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I don't know why this took me forever but I finally took the 30 seconds to google and install the stylish extension for chrome
    Hello darkness...

Tesla Cybertruck is now a $400 Toy 2:49
    https://youtu.be/B5z_gc5TWl0

The smaller one is $20

Peas on
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Hacking my arm prosthesis to output CV so that it plugs into my synth: Thought-controlled music! 9:06
    https://youtu.be/qSKBtEBRWi4
    Together with Chrisi from KOMA Elektronik and my husband Daniel, I am in the process of building a device (the "SynLimb") that attaches to my arm prosthesis instead of the prosthetic hand. The SynLimb converts the electrode signals that my prosthesis picks up from my residual limb into control voltages (CV) for controlling my modular synthesizer. The SynLimb thus allows me to plug my prosthesis directly into my snythesizer so that I can control its parameters with the signals from my body that normally control the hand. For me, this feels like controlling the synth with my thoughts. I show the prototype(s), explain how we put it together and how it works, and do a little demo.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    biometric control over electronic devices is so cool and something I want to near more about

but at the same time I am desperately afraid of getting anything implanted in my body

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Man, I would get one of those stupid magnet beads implanted in my finger today if I could find someone doing it locally. I will become a cyborg for the dumbest of all possible reasons.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    biometric control over electronic devices is so cool and something I want to near more about

but at the same time I am desperately afraid of getting anything implanted in my body

what if it's doing surface reading of nerve signals rather than an invasive probe? that's what I expect to take off more than implants

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    What about just sewing some magnets into a glove? It's a *little* less invasive. Just saying.

• Options
    Brolo wrote: »

what if it's doing surface reading of nerve signals rather than an invasive probe? that's what I expect to take off more than implants

A few years back I tried some of that stuff and none of it is quite good enough - consumer-level external EEGs pick up too many false positives that make them too cumbersome, which in turn makes the entire process far less efficient than just using your hands and buttons instead.

YqX8Ain.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg

both the Emotiv and the NIA are barely functional at the best of times as brain-computer interfaces, if you sit absolutely still, and are lucky enough to have no electrical interference, and you have the headset tight on your head, and you're lucky enough to have a) no hair and b) a big head, you can:

slowly control a cursor on the screen, with very little accuracy

you have to focus on it constantly and it will sometimes just not move at all for no reason
    if you sneeze, talk, eat, breathe too heavily or really move/tense any muscle in your head the system will go haywire and your mouse will fly off the screen

like there's probably way better tech when you're actually paying tens of thousands of dollars for research-level equipment, but below that threshold it's been pretty disappointing, and for the kind of accessiblity work I want to do the hardware is barely supported on any OS

• Options
    I'm more thinking of things like sensors that detect motor nerve activations through the skin for things like motor control of a prosthetic hand. That sort of control-your-computer-with-your-mind thing does seem pretty far-fetched.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    godmode wrote: »
    I have a suspicion that certain advertisers on Facebook have some kind of special deal they can pay for, where when you click the ellipses button the ad with the intent to block it, or hide the ad, you only get a spinning wheel icon and the menu won't load.

Yeah, I'm convinced Facebook intentionally makes that dialogue sloooow. After I click to block the ad I just get a spinner for five seconds before I get the next modal confirming the block.

• Options
    3eatw5ys0z5g.png
    a team of scientists from osaka university in japan have developed a blade runner-esque robot that can ‘feel pain’. the robot is programmed to wince when an electric charge is applied to its skin, in hopes to teach empathy to artificial intelligence.

the artificial pain system was unveiled at the recent american assocation for the advancement of science meeting in seattle. asada and his team hope that by coding pain sensors into machines will help them develop empathy to human suffering, so they can act as more compassionate companions. he and his team are focusing the use of these robots on japan’s growing aging society, as they might be able to offer ‘physical and emotional assistance’ to elders who live alone.

https://www.designboom.com/technology/japanese-scientists-develop-hyper-realistic-robot-that-can-feel-pain-02-24-2020/

• Options
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    AI revolution in.....20 years?

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    And by that I mean Skynet cleanses the planet.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    ho2zlmfkn2b01.png

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    "Yeah? Well I made a robot that poops, and it hates it."

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Why did they make it a 'hyper-realistic child robot'?

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

Michael Reeves is the literal definition of mad scientist, creating things like Taser Tag, a device that makes short people taller in photos (by electrocuting the ever-loving shit out of the tall people), a floor that zaps people if they don't walk quietly, and a device that shocks you if it heard a swear.

He has a slight thing for electricity.

Madican on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Diarmuid wrote: »
    Why did they make it a 'hyper-realistic child robot'?

why not?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    I have a suspicion that certain advertisers on Facebook have some kind of special deal they can pay for, where when you click the ellipses button the ad with the intent to block it, or hide the ad, you only get a spinning wheel icon and the menu won't load. Therefore, in order to block the advertiser, first you have to click through to their page (giving them A Click that they can count as a page view) before you can click the block button.
    Anyway, I'm sick and fucking tired of every other ad being some kickstarter reposting service. I'm blocking a new one every day
    ze0ev7zzfyfz.png

Seeing Ben Shapiro in that list reminds me that Youtube seems hugely insistent on recommending me alt-right shitfuckery.

V1m: OK I want dinosaurs, cooking, science, history, linux, PC hardware and music from when I still had a sub-36" waistline

Youtube: Sounds like you'd enjoy WHY ENTITLED MILLENNIAL WHORES DESERVE TO DIE LONELY from the Admiral-Incel channel!

I recently discovered how to ask YouTube to stop recommending anything from a given channel, and that seems to have helped a bit, but jfc, just because I accidentally clicked one video out of the 50 goddamb channels I blocked doesn't mean you should keep trying, YouTube.

They're pushing this bullshit on me real hard. Anyone else get this or have I just tainted my history too badly?

• Options
    That's how the algorithm is designed. It's like six degrees of Kevin Bacon except replace Kevin Bacon with alt right indoctrination. Especially for children

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    There also talk of the alt right assholes gaming the system somehow, there was something Cody "Some More News" Johnston talked about last year, I think

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Nah I get that bullshit too and it's infuriating. No I don't want to hear a 2 hour long screed about how *female lead* ruined *franchise*. Fuck off.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    That's how the algorithm is designed. It's like six degrees of Kevin Bacon except replace Kevin Bacon with alt right indoctrination. Especially for children

Excellent, I'll add that to the list of things to worry about when I can't sleep.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    D-BFw-I9-XUAMF7-Oz.jpg

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    The important thing to remember about these "algorithms" is they're largely a crock of shit. Facebook and Google employ tens of thousands of remote workers worldwide to do moderation and curation labor on the cheap. Their algorithms can't yet perform nearly as many tasks as they let on and a significant portion of it likely never will be.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    The important thing to remember about these "algorithms" is they're largely a crock of shit. Facebook and Google employ tens of thousands of remote workers worldwide to do moderation and curation labor on the cheap. Their algorithms can't yet perform nearly as many tasks as they let on and a significant portion of it likely never will be.

it's actually just al gore, locked in a booth full of levers. always pulling levers, but he can't get in a rhythm to do it. thus our current state of affairs

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular

OTOH, they'd argue that the algorithms are the only reason that the job of screening some of the stuff that falls through can even be done by that many people. The scales involved here are insane.

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    I have a suspicion that certain advertisers on Facebook have some kind of special deal they can pay for, where when you click the ellipses button the ad with the intent to block it, or hide the ad, you only get a spinning wheel icon and the menu won't load. Therefore, in order to block the advertiser, first you have to click through to their page (giving them A Click that they can count as a page view) before you can click the block button.
    Anyway, I'm sick and fucking tired of every other ad being some kickstarter reposting service. I'm blocking a new one every day
    ze0ev7zzfyfz.png

Seeing Ben Shapiro in that list reminds me that Youtube seems hugely insistent on recommending me alt-right shitfuckery.

V1m: OK I want dinosaurs, cooking, science, history, linux, PC hardware and music from when I still had a sub-36" waistline

Youtube: Sounds like you'd enjoy WHY ENTITLED MILLENNIAL WHORES DESERVE TO DIE LONELY from the Admiral-Incel channel!

I recently discovered how to ask YouTube to stop recommending anything from a given channel, and that seems to have helped a bit, but jfc, just because I accidentally clicked one video out of the 50 goddamb channels I blocked doesn't mean you should keep trying, YouTube.

They're pushing this bullshit on me real hard. Anyone else get this or have I just tainted my history too badly?

This is probably a little unkind of me toward the playerbase, but I believe you're heavily into EVE Online, so it may be saying, hey, you're interested in EVE, here's a bunch of things other EVE players like to look up.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular

and IIRC from that Verge (?) article from a while ago, those remote workers (usually 3rd-party contracted) are treated pretty poorly and suffer pretty serious mental damage from having to constantly look at horrific content all day.

• Options
    https://youtu.be/qMsH_3cRKeI

This is what I know about algorithms

• Options

this seems like it might be a good idea, while the US is on the topic of "actually nationalizing certain things makes a lot of sense"

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Allow me to be the first to say I don't want the government running our cell phones because the fifth amendment still exists and they will likely find some way to worm everything that happens over the cell network admissible and potentially prosecutable if they feel like digging into shit using AI to find suspicious terms or whatever. When the NSA did it everyone had a fit, I don't see how giving that control directly to the government is a good thing.

If there was a way to nationalize it, keep it cost-effective, and keep information private, like it should be, I'm for it, but I don't trust that to happen.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Everyone had a fit for like a week and then forgot about it and nothing has actually improved on that front?

The government already has access to whatever phone records of yours they want, also loads of social media info

EDIT: Basically I just also don't trust corporations any more than the government

Maddoc on
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    It needs to be like the USPS. Some kind of constitutional-level agency that must be non partisan and all communication must be trusted.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    yeah I am sure the telecoms are all feeding the NSA all of their data without disclosing it already

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I've been taking more nude selfies hoping that I'll catch the eye of a lonely NSA employee.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    yeah I am sure the telecoms are all feeding the NSA all of their data without disclosing it already

Yep. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Room_641A

This discussion has been closed.