As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Steam] Fight the good fight, join the S-Team today!

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    So guys, I've never bought a physical object from steam before. Is there a way to set up my mailing address and everything prior to the index release so my checkout will go faster? I don't see any options like that in the account preferences beyond email and phone number.

I honestly don't remember how it worked with them when I bought my Steam Link a couple years ago, but I use PayPal for a lot of my online purchases, and that typically autofills the shipping info. Not ideal, but it could help you snipe one when Valve next has some inventory.

I seem to remember Steam uses "Amazon Pay" as another option, but I could be confusing that with another game discounter (i.e. Humble).

• SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    So I started Metro Exodus a few days ago, and I have to ask... was the writing always this bad? It's been forever since I've played the first two games so I don't remember if they were as bad, but the dialog is pretty terrible, in terms of both the script and delivery. Characters will talk over each other, but not in a way that sounds organic, it just feels like the scripting fired off someone else's lines before the first was done. I don't know if it's a translation issue with the original lines being shorter or what, but it's really unnatural.

Also, while hiding on a roof from some bandits, I heard pretty close to the following repeated ad nauseam within the space of a minute:

"There's a bitch up there!"
    "Find the bitch!"
    "We'll get you, bitch!"
    "Where did the bitch go?!"

Terrible.

5gsowHm.png
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    The writing in Metro has never been great, yeah, though I think Exodus is probably the best of the bunch.
    I think the reason all the enemies say "bitch" all the time is a sort of translation thing, at least. Either "cyka" or "blyat", I forget which, literally means "bitch" but is more of a catch all swear like "fucker" or somesuch. So it sounds a bit less weird in Russian.

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    "Cyka" means "bitch", "Blyat" means "whore", "Cyka Blyat" means "Counter Strike".

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    qgz03qn5mpoo.jpg

Another year, another medal. Thank you everyone who supported my Extra-Life this year and helped me get it. I love you all <3.

Be on the look out for year #10 in October or November.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Hey, quick question: is my steam signature thing displaying a game, or the message about privacy settings? For some reason on my browser it's often stuck displaying my Dawn of War II time and not whatever I've actually been playing recently, but just the other day I saw that message briefly, even though my Steam profile settings haven't been changed lately.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Hey, quick question: is my steam signature thing displaying a game, or the message about privacy settings? For some reason on my browser it's often stuck displaying my Dawn of War II time and not whatever I've actually been playing recently, but just the other day I saw that message briefly, even though my Steam profile settings haven't been changed lately.

Dawn of War II currently.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Talus9952Talus9952 Registered User regular

It's displaying Dawn of war II.

steam_sig.png
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Okay, as long as it's not indicating that there's something off with my profile settings then we're good. Thanks!

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    So I tried out Dying Light due to the free weekend, it's pretty solid.

Problem is it's mainly first person platforming. Mirror's Edge didn't gel with me and while Dying Light is more approachable and free form, I was doing a lot of searching around trying to get to that map marker that is somewhere in this vicinity but you're not quite sure where. The breaking point was a jump that needed far more precision than I was willing to give fairly on in the game and I bowed out.

So overall for me it was just an alright to frustrating experience. But if you desire a solid parkour zombie game then you should definitely check it out.

• BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I've been enjoying Dying Light so far. It was always a game which basically interested me, but by the time it was announced, I thought zombies were already so passe that I passed it over (get it? huh? huh?). To this day I think it would have been cooler if they had gotten more creative with their apocalypse. Give me aliens, ghosts, more interesting mutants, something.

Anyway I think it's taking me a while to get a hang of the combat, but in general principle I really like how it feels actually quite difficult to "destroy the brain," as it were. One of my favorite moments so far has been dropping in behind two zombies that were trying to break into someone's shelter, sneaking up behind them and braining one with a pipe. It immediately fell down as I engaged with the other one, which I was surprised to find out wasn't simply dying as I mashed it in the face a few times... and then I saw in the corner of my eye that the first one was slowly getting back to its feet, and I was like "oh I'm actually in trouble." It was great.

Boy do I hate this main character, though. He's such a bog standard, lantern-jawed, special-forces-cool white dude protagonist that I thought at first they were going to be playing him as a joke, but there are no laughs.

BloodySloth on
    Yeah, after I watched the intro which was the most boggy of bog standard zombie starts I skipped all the conversations and scenes I could since which seems to be a benefit.

Unfortunately I was still on the extended tutorial and the game just really wants to make sure it has held your hand long enough so I lost my patience with it.

I think games like Batman Arkham City where they put advanced technique lessons as optional (though it does unlock stuff) is a smart move. Let the player ignore it if they want but give them more than "now you know how to play the game" by the end of it.

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Dying Light was not fun in any way.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Dying Light was super fun.

You can walk up behind zombies and shove them off tall buildings!

The parkour is about as advanced as Assassin's Creed.

edited February 2020
    Karoz wrote: »
    Yeah, after I watched the intro which was the most boggy of bog standard zombie starts I skipped all the conversations and scenes I could since which seems to be a benefit.

Unfortunately I was still on the extended tutorial and the game just really wants to make sure it has held your hand long enough so I lost my patience with it.

I think games like Batman Arkham City where they put advanced technique lessons as optional (though it does unlock stuff) is a smart move. Let the player ignore it if they want but give them more than "now you know how to play the game" by the end of it.

The weird thing about the tutorial is that it's very long and padded out but also doesn't teach you a bunch of stuff. I found myself checking the keybindings a lot to see what sorts of things I was even capable of doing.

BloodySloth on
  • QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I think Dying Light is super fun too. That first mission where you have to go outside at night* is never gonna leave me. Leveling up quickly gives you more parkour abilities to help with that jankiness.

Really looking forward to 2.

Qanamil on
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    The parkour is about as advanced as Assassin's Creed.

Sure, but I lose my situational awareness by having to look at ledges while I parkour.

AssCreed takes care of the minutia while I look where I need to go on my minimap.

It's still a good game, just not for me. Give me glue fingered assassins any day.

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Dying Light ruined most open world climb-em-ups for me until Breath of the Wild. Not having to figure out where a designer placed a colored ledge and having chases feel more free flowing instead of relying on a specific route was amazing. Combat against zombies generally felt really good too though the challenge did drop significantly after a while. But for a long time needing to plan how I would winnow down a group by fighting at a location that let me kick some off a ledge was a great change from the usual stand and bang combat of the likes of Assassin's Creed at the time.
    I've been enjoying Dying Light so far. It was always a game which basically interested me, but by the time it was announced, I thought zombies were already so passe that I passed it over (get it? huh? huh?). To this day I think it would have been cooler if they had gotten more creative with their apocalypse. Give me aliens, ghosts, more interesting mutants, something.

Anyway I think it's taking me a while to get a hang of the combat, but in general principle I really like how it feels actually quite difficult to "destroy the brain," as it were. One of my favorite moments so far has been dropping in behind two zombies that were trying to break into someone's shelter, sneaking up behind them and braining one with a pipe. It immediately fell down as I engaged with the other one, which I was surprised to find out wasn't simply dying as I mashed it in the face a few times... and then I saw in the corner of my eye that the first one was slowly getting back to its feet, and I was like "oh I'm actually in trouble." It was great.

Boy do I hate this main character, though. He's such a bog standard, lantern-jawed, special-forces-cool white dude protagonist that I thought at first they were going to be playing him as a joke, but there are no laughs.

I suspect part of the reason they went with zombies is that they could get away with simpler enemy AI and just use numbers while being easy to understand. They need an enemy that could be a threat if you get swarmed but mostly is there to turn parts of the game into "The floor is lava." Some of the non-zombie enemies are challenging to fight but don't have the best scripting or design.

And the writing is pretty damn bad. I tried to just treat it as a b-movie. The parts of the expansion I played were better as they abandoned their bad attempt at an action movie script.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    First person put me off Dying Light. It’s two core gameplay features - melee combat and platforming, I just do not like from a first person perspective.

For me the first person works fine, but I really had to crank the FOV before it felt ok. I do really like the element of being in a brawl with a person and backing up to bait them into making a mistake, and the whole time you're making noise, so zombies are slowly being drawn in, and one time you might dodge backwards and all of a sudden you dodge into a zombie you swear wasn't there a second ago. It feels very true to the setting and is something that'd be much less likely in third person.

• ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    I’ve been sick in the hospital this past week, luckily finally back home and on the road of recovery. Just wanted to say that being able to pop up in Steam Chat this past week to chat with some of you helped keep my sanity. Love all of you and this community of gracious monsters <3<3<3

• SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Daemon x Machina is really fucking fun. I really do wish Armoured Core 4 would be ported over, but this is great in and of itself.

Port is great - runs on a toaster but makes use of a good PC's FPS, and has all the expected graphical options. HUD is customisable (which is kinda recommended as it is very busy by default), mech customisation is good, and the characters are fun and somewhat endearing. The missions vary, but most are quite bite-size. That, in addition to short load times, leads to a really short time between thinking "I want to go stomp some fools" and getting your fill. Very easy game to pop into for a few missions in some spare moments.

One neat aspect is that skilling up your character is done via cybernetic upgrades, most of which are visible. Want to become a flying machine of war outside of your mech, and get all possible upgrades to how you perform? You're going to look like an inhuman robot. It's a really nice touch that forces you to think a little about upgrades instead of mashing a level-up button.

gi65pdzesrin.jpg

Suriko on
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    See, you say that makes you think about upgrades but I am totally down to become an inhuman robot so give me all of the upgrades

• JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    ...and now I want to try an AC or other mecha game. I have Battletech, but I'd be up for a eastern take on the genre.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
    edited February 2020
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    ...and now I want to try an AC or other mecha game. I have Battletech, but I'd be up for a eastern take on the genre.

If you like tactical games like Battletech, see if you can get a one of the main series entries of Front Mission by Square Enix. If you want something more along the lines of a 'vehicle-simulator', try Armored Core by From Software (sort of a 3rd-person Mechwarrior). If you want goofy, smashy fun, see if you can get Metal Wolf Chaos, also by From Software. If you want the mecha equivalent of a Devil May Cry or Bayonetta game, play Zone of the Enders by Konami.

Edit: there's also a lot of Gundam games, but despite being a fan of the IP, I've completely slept on the videogame adaptations, so someone else will have to chime in.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

If you like tactical games (like Battletech), see if you can get a Front Mission game (by Square Enix). If you want a 'vehicle-simulator' approach (think 3rd-person Mechwarrior), go for Armored Core (by From Software). If you want the mecha equivalent of a Devil May Cry or Bayonetta game, play Zone of the Enders (by Konami). If you want goofy, smashy fun, see if you can get Metal Wolf Chaos (also by From Software).

Edit: there's also a lot of Gundam games, but despite being a fan of the IP, I've completely slept on the videogame adaptations, so someone else will have to chime in.

If you want Shinji Ikari fighting Char Aznable, get a Super Robot Wars game.

Madican wrote: »
    See, you say that makes you think about upgrades but I am totally down to become an inhuman robot so give me all of the upgrades

...how many tentacles can my mecha have?

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

If you like tactical games (like Battletech), see if you can get a Front Mission game (by Square Enix). If you want a 'vehicle-simulator' approach (think 3rd-person Mechwarrior), go for Armored Core (by From Software). If you want the mecha equivalent of a Devil May Cry or Bayonetta game, play Zone of the Enders (by Konami). If you want goofy, smashy fun, see if you can get Metal Wolf Chaos (also by From Software).

Super Robot wars X can be obtained on Steam (though it might need some hoops because regions), is in English (the translation is fairly decent, too), and seems to mostly have pretty decent series (and sadly also Cross Ange, but it can't be all good). I'm playing it right now and it's being pretty neat.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Play more BATTLETECH. :wink:

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »

...how many tentacles can my mecha have?
    It Will Take Ten Tickles Before He Laughs.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Holy shit I actually finished a game in a reasonable timeframe. First game of 2020, Code Vein is now complete!

This was a fun game. I remember hearing about it years before as an anime Dark Souls and wondered if it would turn out to be a good Soulsborne game. I am happy to say that yes it is very much a good Soulsborne game, and in fact stands up there with Dark Souls itself in terms of fun. Heck, there's things it does even better than Soulsborne, like the ability to change builds on demand to suit whatever playstyle you like by equipping different Blood Codes. The only downside is some Codes are only gotten later in the game, so you might need to wait a bit to get that perfect balance of stats and abilities you want for your playstyle. Or you might be happy with one you get in the first couple of hours and carry it through the entire game. Personally I started as a spellcaster and about a quarter through the game decided I liked being a user of heavy weapons for its ability to block and punish.

The story was also decent, well above Dark Souls in that there's actual characters and a plot. There's world building through dialogue, observation, and lore to further expand why things are the way they are and why some characters are working towards their goals. Or against that of others. I got the Best Ending apparently, because I collected and restored every Vestige. There's apparently still four Blood Codes I'm missing though, but that's because they're only on the Bad Ending route and I got four others that were exclusive to my route. I could replay and get those other four Codes, but I'm not really one for replaying games. Maybe if I did co-op, but I played this on PS4 and I don't pay for PS+ so that was right out. Also because the Platinum trophy either demands multi or farming a low drop-rate enemy, just like Dark Souls! Maybe don't copy that part too next time but fine whatever rest of the game was fun as hell even when I was getting frustrated with a couple enemies.

9/10 game would recommend anime nanotech revenant vampires.

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    Donnicton wrote: »

Super Robot wars X can be obtained on Steam (though it might need some hoops because regions), is in English (the translation is fairly decent, too), and seems to mostly have pretty decent series (and sadly also Cross Ange, but it can't be all good). I'm playing it right now and it's being pretty neat.

There is a Cross Rays game (Full name SD GUNDAM G GENERATION CROSS RAYS), the Bandai Gundam-centric take on SRW, available on Steam in the US since November that people have said is solid.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Holy shit I actually finished a game in a reasonable timeframe. First game of 2020, Code Vein is now complete!

This was a fun game. I remember hearing about it years before as an anime Dark Souls and wondered if it would turn out to be a good Soulsborne game. I am happy to say that yes it is very much a good Soulsborne game, and in fact stands up there with Dark Souls itself in terms of fun. Heck, there's things it does even better than Soulsborne, like the ability to change builds on demand to suit whatever playstyle you like by equipping different Blood Codes. The only downside is some Codes are only gotten later in the game, so you might need to wait a bit to get that perfect balance of stats and abilities you want for your playstyle. Or you might be happy with one you get in the first couple of hours and carry it through the entire game. Personally I started as a spellcaster and about a quarter through the game decided I liked being a user of heavy weapons for its ability to block and punish.

The story was also decent, well above Dark Souls in that there's actual characters and a plot. There's world building through dialogue, observation, and lore to further expand why things are the way they are and why some characters are working towards their goals. Or against that of others. I got the Best Ending apparently, because I collected and restored every Vestige. There's apparently still four Blood Codes I'm missing though, but that's because they're only on the Bad Ending route and I got four others that were exclusive to my route. I could replay and get those other four Codes, but I'm not really one for replaying games. Maybe if I did co-op, but I played this on PS4 and I don't pay for PS+ so that was right out. Also because the Platinum trophy either demands multi or farming a low drop-rate enemy, just like Dark Souls! Maybe don't copy that part too next time but fine whatever rest of the game was fun as hell even when I was getting frustrated with a couple enemies.

9/10 game would recommend anime nanotech revenant vampires.

Yeah, code vein is legit good.

*sigh* Fine.

I guess it can live on my wishlist.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Not sure how I feel about Baldurs Gate 3 being Steam Early Access. I’d think Larian have enough confidence to just make their game by now.

On the plus side, it’s nice confirmation it’s not going EGS exclusive.

• CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Yes, as some of more meticulous monsters may know, Tomorrow is my birthday. However with good news always comes terrible news. I found out early this morning that a very good friend of mine passed away last week and I am absolutely devastated. His family asked that in lieu of flowers or anything people donate to the Juvenile Diabetes Research Fund. So I ask that if you wanted to send me a birthday game, or whatever, just send me a happy "Happy Birthday" message. If you insist on wanting to do something for me, instead just donate to https://www.jdrf.org/

To bring this back to steam/pc related, make sure your family knows how to access your friends lists and let people know. Its heartbreaking when people pass, but even worse if they just disappear and no one knows. Let your online friends know what happens to you, please. If anyone in the thread were to pass i'd be devastated, but I'd want to know. <3 The friendships we make online and through gaming are super strong and amazing. I love all you guys.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    :bro:

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Love you bro!

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Syngyne wrote: »
    So I started Metro Exodus a few days ago, and I have to ask... was the writing always this bad? It's been forever since I've played the first two games so I don't remember if they were as bad, but the dialog is pretty terrible, in terms of both the script and delivery. Characters will talk over each other, but not in a way that sounds organic, it just feels like the scripting fired off someone else's lines before the first was done. I don't know if it's a translation issue with the original lines being shorter or what, but it's really unnatural.

Also, while hiding on a roof from some bandits, I heard pretty close to the following repeated ad nauseam within the space of a minute:

"Find the bitch!"
    "We'll get you, bitch!"

Terrible.

Every time I hear repetitive generated dialog like this, my brain replaces it with, "Don't forget to reload Dr. Freeman." "Reload Dr. Freeman." "Dr. Freeman, you need to reload."

I remember a scifi themed dungeon crawler years ago that did this. All the best weapons were gated behind cybernetic upgrades and the doctor kept telling you that if you kept installing upgrades you'd lose your humanity and why would you do that? "Bitch, so I can get rid of this assault rifle and equip that tank turret the weapon vendor has at the bottom of the list!"

Hevach on
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    Syngyne wrote: »

"Find the bitch!"
    "We'll get you, bitch!"

Terrible.

Every time I hear repetitive generated dialog like this, my brain replaces it with, "Don't forget to reload Dr. Freeman." "Reload Dr. Freeman." "Dr. Freeman, you need to reload."

HEY LISTEN

This discussion has been closed.