As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Yakuza: Like a Thread

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Diarmuid wrote: »
    It's entirely my own fault, but I already know way too much about Yakuza 7.

Let's just say there are videos on YouTube that have some serious spoilers in them.

Some of them have spoilers right in the title, which I don't think is cool.

I have one with a spoiler in the title thrown right in my face every time I open the YouTube app for any reason, and it sucks.

I have no idea what to do about that other than just...not use YouTube? I can't figure out how to mute things or having it stop suggest things to me.

The plus side is I am planning on finally starting Yakuza 4 next week when I get the physical copy, then play 5, then 6, then Judgement, then 7, and I drink a fair amount so by the time I get to Y7 I'll completely have forgotten it.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Ya there are def Youtube videos out there with spoilers in both title and thumbnail image. Stuff that would have been pretty cool to find out myself.

There should be a Youtube jail to send people who do that to.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    I did myself some big spoilers yesterday but they only got me hype so

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    The Physical Remaster collection of 3-5 came out today and I gotta say it's weird having a case for a game on a console I never owned and that doesn't physically exist.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    The Physical Remaster collection of 3-5 came out today and I gotta say it's weird having a case for a game on a console I never owned and that doesn't physically exist.

It does feel weird.

Bought it anyway.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I, for one, appreciate it. Collection Complete* (*Missing the two PSP games and, technically, the Fist of the North Star spinoff.)

nF46lta.jpg

But feels good to have Yakuza 5 not missing on my game shelf after all this time.
    Also the western boxarts for the first few Yakuza games are terrible, holy crap.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Diarmuid wrote: »
    It's entirely my own fault, but I already know way too much about Yakuza 7.

Let's just say there are videos on YouTube that have some serious spoilers in them.

Some of them have spoilers right in the title, which I don't think is cool.

I have one with a spoiler in the title thrown right in my face every time I open the YouTube app for any reason, and it sucks.

I have no idea what to do about that other than just...not use YouTube? I can't figure out how to mute things or having it stop suggest things to me.

The plus side is I am planning on finally starting Yakuza 4 next week when I get the physical copy, then play 5, then 6, then Judgement, then 7, and I drink a fair amount so by the time I get to Y7 I'll completely have forgotten it.

Oh, I can help with this! Under a video is the three vertical dots button, which opens options for the video such as share and download. Towards the bottom, you can select Not Interested or Don't Recommend Channel.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-02-17-yakuza-7-has-some-of-the-best-rpg-combat-in-a-long-time

A cool article about the gameplay.

This game just keeps sounding better.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Decided to finish up Judgment cause I'd stopped playing after getting Yakuza fatigue after playing Kiwami 1 and 2 back to back.

Actually enjoying it quite a bit.

The combat was still a bit unpolished in some ways and the whole disguise system was on ever really used for like a handful of missions.

But the plot was actually pretty good once it got going.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    The disguise system in Judgement has been bumming me out, because I just want to wear anything that doesn't have a wallet chain, and all of these outfits are so close, but so far

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Decided to finish up Judgment cause I'd stopped playing after getting Yakuza fatigue after playing Kiwami 1 and 2 back to back.

Actually enjoying it quite a bit.

The combat was still a bit unpolished in some ways and the whole disguise system was on ever really used for like a handful of missions.

But the plot was actually pretty good once it got going.

I really dug the plot of Judgment, and the escalation to the climax is fantastic.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I think Judgment may have been my favorite Yakuza game story actually.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Holy shit the Shin Amon fight in Judgment was annoying

• Options
    Finally finished Judgment. Probably my favorite main plot of any of the Yakuza games. Were it not for the egregiously annoying Keihin Gang mechanic, it would probably be my favorite game in the whole series.

I then jumped straight to Yakuza 3. Going back to the phone booth save was brutal, but the transition wasn't as rough as I was fearing.

I know this one has a reputation as The Bad One, but I am really digging how... Optimistic it is. It's just Kiryu dadding around, helping orphans, being kind to small animals. It is Nice in a way that I appreciate.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Alright motherfucks it's time for Eighteen-Count Saejima to do his thing

• Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    I think my biggest problem with Judgment might actually be the Mortal Wounds mechanic, moreso that the Kehin Gang. It was just not fun to deal with and always ended up being an annoying chore to fix afterwards (or a money sink to buy medkits).

• Options
    Decided I finally wanna get caught up on the Yakuza games before 7 makes its way west so I went back to Kiwami 2 and actually finished it this time.

The Majima bomb defusing scene might be one of my favorite cutscenes in video games.

I haven't played 3-6 yet, but from what I've heard (spoilers for one of the Yakuza 2 characters)
    They kinda just memory hole Sayama which seems really odd. She was a major character and showed that Kiryu could move on past Yumi dying and love somebody again and then just... a bunch of nothing for the rest of the series I guess. Like so far this series is constantly pulling back characters from earlier in the story to have some role, but not this time apparently.

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    I also really liked the main plot in Judgement. It had way too many roving battle folks in town. Like nearly two times more than it should have, and the Kehin gang stuff fed into all that.
    The fact that they amped up the street battles that far in Judgement which called for them less than other Yakuza games made me nervous for Y7's turn based mode, but I'm hoping it's fine. Plus I still really liked Judgement, it's not like it killed it for me or anything.
    I started the series with 3 & 4 and one of the things that run does well is callback to the previous games. While the main plots still remain fairly stand alone, there's alot of references that carry through from there on.

I didn;t play 2 until Kiwami 2, and I'm surprised how much they jettisoned from that going into 3.
    The love interest in that is at the start of 3 is there briefly, but I guess they really cooled off when not in a life or death situation. Don't call me, I'll call you.

akajaybay on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I think they want to keep that whole roaming samurai thing going for Kiryu no matter how little sense it makes.

Why I honestly don't mind having a new MC.

• Options
    Ya I like Kiryu, but I'm cool with them changing main characters. Especially since they set most games in the year it releases in Japan so Kiryu is starting to get pretty old for all the shenanigans he gets into.

They need to make him like Komaki for the new main characters. This old dude who just wants to pass on his bicycle based martial arts.

• Options
    The best part of Judgment was getting to have a new protag.

Like I enjoy Kiryu for who he is but it was nice having a character with more personality that actually acted like a human.

And the new guy seems like a doofus but a fun doofus who definitely has lots of personality to spare.

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Finally finished Judgment. Probably my favorite main plot of any of the Yakuza games. Were it not for the egregiously annoying Keihin Gang mechanic, it would probably be my favorite game in the whole series.

I then jumped straight to Yakuza 3. Going back to the phone booth save was brutal, but the transition wasn't as rough as I was fearing.

I know this one has a reputation as The Bad One, but I am really digging how... Optimistic it is. It's just Kiryu dadding around, helping orphans, being kind to small animals. It is Nice in a way that I appreciate.

The original Western release of Yakuza 3 had a lot of stuff cut out, which kinda annoyed a lot of people at the time.
    For me, it's also the point where things started to feel a bit stale in the main gameplay loop.

I played the remaster not too long ago myself and I probably like it more now than when it was originally released.
    But I also think, mostly for mechanical reasons, it's still probably the weakest game in the series.

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    I'm not sure if the remaster changed it, but I remember 3 as having old school random battles as you crossed town. Like the fight would randomly trigger, you'd get a load screen, fight, load back to town etc.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Alright motherfucks it's time for Eighteen-Count Saejima to do his thing

such a fucking good cutscene
    such a fucking DUMB twist

it's amazing

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Just started Yakuza 3
    Dang Tojo Clan Chairman is the Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher of Yakuza.

I don't know who would want that job. Dude is getting gunned down in every game.

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Saejima's end of first act sequence in 5 is an amazing series of events

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Saejima's chapter in 5 is one of the most ridiculous things that's ever been in a video game.

I love it.

• Options
    Workin' my way through these dang things. No single game makes it into my personal Top 5 of Games, but I'm preeeeetty sure the franchise as a whole is my favorite game series ever? It's neck and neck with Assassin's Creed, at any rate.

My Yakuza power rankings, thus far:

Judgment
    1 (Kiwami)
    2 (Kiwami)

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    You ranked 2 that low? Shocking to me. I thought it has, still, one of the best villains in the series.
    But hey, if you're about to start 4 there's a whole new group of characters to love.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    Ok so while I did concuss a bear with a scooter as Saejima, I'm really enjoying idol dance battles as Haruka

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    I need an entire game of Uncle Kaz Orphanage Simulator

• Options
  • Options
    Starting Yakuza 4

I'm diggin' this kicky boi

• Options
    Starting Yakuza 4

I'm diggin' this kicky boi

They start you off with the best new character.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I been saying

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Akiyama
    his weird moral attitude about loaning the money started to grate on me by the end of his segment

• Options
    I failed to mention this when going through Yakuza 3, but since it is still true in Yakuza 4:

Holy shit the hostess stuff is interminably dull

• Options
    I failed to mention this when going through Yakuza 3, but since it is still true in Yakuza 4:

Holy shit the hostess stuff is interminably dull

When it comes back in Zero it's entirely overhauled and much faster paced, and a lot of people (not me) love it

I think everyone agrees the old version is garbage though

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    The best hostess club game is management. Actually dating them, not so much.
    (Just like real life!)

And my power ranking:
    4 > 0 > 1 > 2 > 5 > Dead Souls > 6

wVEsyIc.png
This discussion has been closed.