As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - Michael Crichton’s Twitter

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited February 2020 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Michael Crichton’s Twitter

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• shadowysea07shadowysea07 Registered User regular
    Is there a piece of dialogue missing between panel 1 and 2 for gabe? It feels like Tycho's balloon came out of nowhere.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    No, Tycho just immediately picked up on the concept and went with it.

Also, Gabe's right. Twitter is terrible for humanity.

I use Twitter, but only for news. I follow pretty much official things only, and I never read the comments. It's healthier that way. No need for all that negativity.

• Anon von ZilchAnon von Zilch Registered User regular
    Knowing this really makes me appreciate every response I get from the guys.

• ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Twitter is terrible for humanity....I use Twitter...

And this is the problem, just quoting the example, not trying to pick on you directly. If you need news, pay for a newspaper. I pay a few cents a day to access the New York Times online, and specifically STOPPED getting my news from a social media platform. Not only has the quality of the news and breadth of stories increased exponentially, me going to work pissed off because something pushed my buttons on social media has decreased to near 0.

People can talk about how terrible and destructive these things are. But unless they stop using the platform, it persists.

ironzerg on
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Twitter is terrible for humanity....I use Twitter...

And this is the problem, just quoting the example, not trying to pick on you directly. If you need news, pay for a newspaper. I pay a few cents a day to access the New York Times online, and specifically STOPPED getting my news from a social media platform. Not only has the quality of the news and breadth of stories increased exponentially, me going to work pissed off because something pushed my buttons on social media has decreased to near 0.

People can talk about how terrible and destructive these things are. But unless they stop using the platform, it persists.

Well. I guess I should have specified. I use Twitter for news, but specifically for video game news. Anymore, announcements and things usually hit official Twitter pages long before they get uploaded to websites.

I don't use Twitter for like news news.

• MercadeMercade Registered User regular
    How far we’ve come since “okay poop is coming out”

Switch: SW-1909-0466-9585
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    I can't tell you how often I have to actually stop typing, remind myself not to engage with MAGA chuds, and close the window while on Twitter. Life was easier when I had a browser plugin that blocked trending hashtags.

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Is there a piece of dialogue missing between panel 1 and 2 for gabe? It feels like Tycho's balloon came out of nowhere.

Yes: the history of "Gabe's" tweets.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Mercade wrote: »
    How far we’ve come since “okay poop is coming out”
    Really, that should have been a red flag.

YL9WnCY.png
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    One of the first responses to this on twitter is someone complaining that they got banned from the forums

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    One of the first responses to this on twitter is someone complaining that they got banned from the forums

Absolutely delicious.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

The guy who thinks Morrissey is 0.9% good must be sweating bullets.

steam_sig.png
  • MercadeMercade Registered User regular
    Also, deleting Twitter was a positive thing that I highly recommend to almost anyone.

Twitter is, to use the parlance of our times, butt.

Switch: SW-1909-0466-9585
  • dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    I don't use twitter, but I do find I often miss out on people I like announcing things. Namely Penny Arcade and Shut Up and Sit Down. Often people/companies will only announce things on twitter, or when they do announce them elsewhere it's often too late for me to notice in time.

• RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    I know we're in a grumpy-old-man-off here but honestly, I tried to use Twitter one time because my friend got one and I wanted to read it. I cannot for the life of me figure it out at all. Facebook is dumb and annoying but it makes sense. I can't parse info on Twitter at all. Who said what and who is replying to who and how do I just look at a chronological list of someone's posts? It's a mess and most importantly, something different and I don't like it.

• NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I have a twitter, but:

1. It's a locked down/private account
    2. I don't tweet anything myself
    3. I only use it to follow a few interests, mostly tech/programming stuff (and none of the toxic masculinity/alt-right bullshit that surrounds a lot of it)

I am thinking of ditching Facebook. I really only talk to like 5 people on it.

• MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I was on Twitter for a brief time. I never really tweeted myself and just used it to follow interesting people/things. I never found a good way to weed out all the stuff that annoyed me, so I ended up leaving entirely. I like my Facebook because between the unfollow option and a handy Chrome extension, I'm able to ignore the things that annoy me. I don't care what stupid things are trending, if I want the latest headlines I'll go to a newspaper or news site, and while I don't fault my favorite celebrities for having opinions on the world, I certainly don't want to read about them all the time. When I come to social media I want to see vacation pictures, funny memes, cat videos, etc. That's just my preferred use of these platforms.

Heck, I unfollow friends if they prove to be completely incapable of shutting the hell up about politics for 5 minutes (regardless of their particular political leanings), so why would I endlessly tolerate it from famous people and strangers on Twitter?

MarcinMN on
    "It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • SyzygySyzygy Registered User regular
    Facebook was poison and I deleted that, never even bothered with Twitter because I saw the writing on the wall. Plus all the childish snaps of people getting into twitter arguments just sealed the deal. How does ANYONE stand it?

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    It takes me 20 minutes to tweet too, but usually because I have a probably unreasonable amount of anxiety about everything I post. I have to go through an exhaustive checklist every time:

-Did I misspell something? If I make a spelling mistake, the entire world will think less of me for it.
    -Did someone else tweet this already? Probably not, since I pretty much only tweet my own art, but I still worry that someone somewhere may have tweeted something that's too much like what I'm about to tweet.
    -Have I tweeted too much already? I don't want to 'spam' twitter. (I tweet once every 2-3 days).
    -Did I tag it correctly? Are the tags in the right order?(!!?!!?) Are there too many tags? Are they the right tags? If I use the wrong tags, the entire world will think less of me for it.
    -50% of the time at this point: You're doing it wrong. Shut it all down. Delete everything you've written. Then start over again.

So, Twitter might be bad in different ways for different people.

H9f4bVe.png
  • V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Mercade wrote: »
    Also, deleting Twitter was a positive thing that I highly recommend to almost anyone.

Twitter is, to use the parlance of our times, butt.

See also: Facebook

• SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    So I saw the title and I'm like "Hmmm I bet Michael Crichton said something particularly nutso on twitter."

Then I found out it wasn't about that and was pleasantly surprised.

Then I thought maybe I could check to see if Michael Crichton actually had a twitter account, because it's probably a goldmine of crazy.

But no. No, I will stay blissfully uninformed.

I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    Solvent wrote: »
    So I saw the title and I'm like "Hmmm I bet Michael Crichton said something particularly nutso on twitter."

Then I thought maybe I could check to see if Michael Crichton actually had a twitter account, because it's probably a goldmine of crazy.

I'm pretty sure it's a joke about the kind of books Michael Crichton writes

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited February 2020

Just so I know, did you find out along the way that Michael Crichton has been dead for 11 years?

YoungFrey on
  • SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Hahaha no I didn't know. Here I am, speaking ill of the dead. Life's weird when you don't immediately Google every question that pops into your head, isn't it?

Ok I'm also getting old.

Edit: Should probably add that I quite like a number of Crichton's books, just, y'know, he also became a bit of a crank.

Solvent on
    I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
    Hahaha no I didn't know. Here I am, speaking ill of the dead. Life's weird when you don't immediately Google every question that pops into your head, isn't it?

Ok I'm also getting old.

Edit: Should probably add that I quite like a number of Crichton's books, just, y'know, he also became a bit of a crank.

Yeah same I liked his early stuff but he went off the deep end in his later years. Just like David Mamet.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Preacher wrote: »

Ok I'm also getting old.

Yeah same I liked his early stuff but he went off the deep end in his later years. Just like David Mamet.

Sometimes they don't go off the deep end so much as you finally realize, "Ohhhhh, you actually have a small, bitter, soul, don't you?"

e.g. Orson Scott Card

I'm pretty sure the visual in panel 3 is a direct reference to The Andromeda Strain.

dennis wrote: »

Ok I'm also getting old.

Sometimes they don't go off the deep end so much as you finally realize, "Ohhhhh, you actually have a small, bitter, soul, don't you?"

e.g. Orson Scott Card

There is that, but with Crichton's earlier books I at least didn't pick up on the dumb conservative bias he'd later let the freak flag fly on. Like his climate change denial book.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • oh3fiftyoneoh3fiftyone Registered User regular

Ok I'm also getting old.

Yeah same I liked his early s

e.g. Orson Scott Card

I felt the same after reading the Hyperion series only to find that out about Dan Simmons.

• MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular

Ok I'm also getting old.

e.g. Orson Scott Card

There is that, but with Crichton's earlier books I at least didn't pick up on the dumb conservative bias he'd later let the freak flag fly on. Like his climate change denial book.

Add Stephen King to the list too. I love his early work, but not so much the stuff from the last couple decades. I think this just happens with many authors as they gain larger audiences. In the beginning, they're just out to tell a good story, but eventually they throw more and more of their own opinions into it, or they want to make all kinds of grand messages about the world. Meaningful messages in literature aren't necessarily a bad thing, but some authors I read just for a good story.

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
    I actually had a conversation with a coworker (with the opposite politics of mine) this week. I came down on it being a combination of two things. As an author gets more popular, they have more control over their editor and can eventually overrule them or fire them. Second, as we all get older, we tend to pay more attention to and have stronger opinions about politics. I've seen this in most people.

Getting an old, successful author is pretty much a guarantee for a certain amount of ideology shining through.