As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hades] is King of the Scythe and the Sword

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    I think my biggest issue is that I’m not making use of my cast or calls enough.

I just... forget I have them

just wait until you unlock the legendary keepsakes

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »

I still sometimes get to the last boss and realise ive forgotten to use it all.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Minotaur's normal attack pattern is almost always swing-swing-leap(-leap-leap). Hang back and let him swing twice and then dodge into him any time he leaps and burn his face off. He might do a shockwave on occasion after half health instead of leaping but not frequently enough to matter. Try not to hang back so far that he's tempted to charge you instead.

Theseus us always going to be slow because he spends a lot of time facing the shield towards you. Safest way I deal with him is just let him throw and then burn his rear, because he always turns around to take a few steps away right after his throw.

• Options
    I suspect this game has some sort of weighting in its boon RNG at higher levels, I'm seeing more and more runs where I'll primarily see 2-3 different gods worth of boons the entire run(not counting Hermes) and others might only come up once or twice in total that run.

That being said I just ran through pact 1 with Poseidon's blade with a Demeter/Artemis/Athena-heavy run. Apparently Athena's special buff(+%damage + deflect) stacks with crystal beam rather than replaces it, so with the double projectiles boon and crystal beam, I was dropping down 10 beams at a time on bosses - Hades was losing a third of his health bar every time he stopped moving. Maybe try an Ares blade-heavy setup next because blades with tracking + consecutive damage is absurd by themselves.

• Options
    I think you are generally more likely to see boons from gods you've already picked. otherwise it'd be extremely difficult to stack effectively.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Pact 7 done with the Chiron bow, standard Artemis bullshit. The pact penalty to give enemies the 2-hit absorb shield means nothing to a spread build so that was an easy way to add a few levels. While it's a powerful aspect I'm still not convinced it's the most powerful, I really think that honor goes to an Aspect of Poseidon cast build. Even with just 1-2 blood ranks I was chunking bosses for a third of their life per volley with a solid cast boon and the Artemis double-shot boon. I just finished capping that so I'm going to check out ranking up the Chaos shield next.

I still have yet to unlock any other alternate aspects besides the Guan Yu literally everyone gets, hoping I'll see a new one soon.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Pact 7 done with the Chiron bow, standard Artemis bullshit. The pact penalty to give enemies the 2-hit absorb shield means nothing to a spread build so that was an easy way to add a few levels. While it's a powerful aspect I'm still not convinced it's the most powerful, I really think that honor goes to an Aspect of Poseidon cast build. Even with just 1-2 blood ranks I was chunking bosses for a third of their life per volley with a solid cast boon and the Artemis double-shot boon. I just finished capping that so I'm going to check out ranking up the Chaos shield next.

I still have yet to unlock any other alternate aspects besides the Guan Yu literally everyone gets, hoping I'll see a new one soon.

I can't remember where I ranked it before, but the basic aspect of the spear is actually my favourite now, when combined with a good special boon. The Achilles one can feel amazing with the right Cast build, but "better throws" is just good in general.

I'm up to 8-9 pacts depending on the weapon. I've settled on Forced Overtime (+enemy speed) and Convenience Fee (+cost in shops) as my main penalties. The speed is something I can get used to, and the cost just means I prioritize non-coin rooms/reroll coin rooms to something else, and only buy stuff when forced to go to a shop/in Styx

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    the shield is just too good. I've beat hades with every weapon once, but am on heat 8 with the shield. Step 1) athena trinket to start, get deflect on dash. Step 2, get doom on special or attack. Step 3, attack or dash-attack buff damage, and if lucky get the heal if you dash after damage...and + number of dashs. then on bosses you basically just go back and forth over top the boss until its dead.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »

I still sometimes get to the last boss and realise ive forgotten to use it all.

I've cleared the game on 4-5 heat now about...seven times? And every time I realize I have not used the summon. I've still never used it outside of my testing it one time. I will probably never remember I have it.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    I try to remember to pop it on the Theseus fight right off the bat cause if you can take off about 20% of their life in a couple seconds it makes the fight a lot shorter.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I finally made it past the hydra once.

• Options
    wow Theseus and the Minotaur are a huge jump in difficulty.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Theseus and Minotaur are so much easier compared to when they were first released and were the final bosses

So nice not dealing with never ending charging chariot enemies after clearing the first one out anymore

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    Yeah when they were the final bosses i beat them once and then put the game down for months cause it wasn't worth dealing with them.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I finally made it past thesues and the minotaur, twice actually, and actually got halfway through the next boss but I was out of death defiance uses from elysium, those shield shades suck.

• Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    Okay, I beat the final boss with every weapon except for the shield. Now im uninstalling the game until one, two more upgrades are released, because I am already afraid of getting burned out on Hades too soon, and I want to leave something to do for myself when it gets released out of early access.

Spear is still my favourite weapon.

• Options
    Wtf

He just stood back up and I died

• Options
    figures the first time I beat the boss is with the adamant rail and not a weapon I like haha.

• Options
    Uriel wrote: »
    Wtf

You didnt think the 'final' boss would only have one stage did you?

• Options
    Oh man, I remember my first time getting there with like 20 hp and no death defiance left. I take my hands off the controls and sit back for my hard earned cutscene.

Then suddenly enough talking! Laser time!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I made it there with all three death defiance left this time which was the main reason I won.

Well I also had decent damage output with the triple shot, poseiden attack boon plus rupture, triple bombs plus chill and the thing that makes enough chill stacks cash out for big damage, among other things. Like hermes' two extra dash healing by dashing, and Athena's deflect dash.

• Options
    I made it there with all three death defiance left this time which was the main reason I won.

Well I also had decent damage output with the triple shot, poseiden attack boon plus rupture, triple bombs plus chill and the thing that makes enough chill stacks cash out for big damage, among other things. Like hermes' two extra dash healing by dashing, and Athena's deflect dash.

Furies fight is fairly easy no matter how you play.
    hydra you kinda need to be playing offensively and dashing all the time.

Hades with most builds is a more defensive fight. I've wrecked him with the shield and proper loadouts playing offensively, but with most of the weapons you want to not be greedy with the number of hits you get, and really focus on dodging and using the environment to block. deflect while dashing is really good, letting you bounce the skulls back at him so they dont even hit the ground and need to be killed.

• Options
    GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    Wtf

Yeah, his opening shot is a personal shockwave, so if you're just standing there rubbernecking you're going to get pasted.

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    kdqfyryc4e0j.png
    There we go! Rare Crop and all that crit damage together with the constantly Doom-applying, free-roaming Aegis with aspect of Zeus was nuts.

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    I've finally cleared with all but one weapon............the sword.

• Options
    yeah the sword feels the most different from the other weapons. I suggest a dash on deflect, +# of dashes, + dash-attack damage build to finish it with the sword. that way you can get up in hades face and just keep dashing back and forth over him getting some hits in and staying invuln through most of his attacks.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Poseidon aspect is broke as hell

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    I just had a great sword run that just lost three defiances in one Styx room because I lacked ranged damage and crowd control. Also the cure fountain was in an awful spot.

• Options
    If you can up your special speed, in some styx rooms I just ran up and spammed special knocking dudes into a corner forever.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    If you can up your special speed, in some styx rooms I just ran up and spammed special knocking dudes into a corner forever.

The thing about that is knockbacks don't matter with hades. I think his difficulty is a bit overtuned to the high end because hes currently the end boss. the game all the way up to hades at least for me has gotten ...if not easy, doable without using my DD's, but unless im using full ranged and playing defensively on him, i lose most of my DD's dealing with him in close quarters.

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Picking against Athena in Elysium feels like one of those 'things you only need to learn once' sorts of deals.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    The Judge wrote: »
    Picking against Athena in Elysium feels like one of those 'things you only need to learn once' sorts of deals.

yeah i hate invuln monsters. dyonisys is also kinda annoying.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    god fucking damn it
    Got a bug where all the codex text was stuck on screen no matter what I did, opening and closing it, changing resolution, whatever. I tried to quit, it only gave me the Give Up option like I was in combat, but I was just in the room right before the Elysium boss fight, no combat. So I had to task manager to quit since it wasn't responding to Alt-F4 and I wasn't gonna quit the run. I boot the game back up, I'm back in the House of Hades with NONE of anything I picked up or did in that run saved. Lost one of my strongest ever shield runs, still 2 death defiances, was probably going to be the first time I beat Elysium, for no fucking reason.

yes I know, early access, whatever I don't care, I'm just really fucking mad

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    thats not always a thing to be fixed outside of early access. Runs for games like this usually don't always have save points within the randomized environment so people cant cheat the system.

Even more so for this game cause if you start a run, and the first boon isnt what you want, restart, you get the same boon choices.

• Options
    10 days until next patch. very eager to see what gets added.

• Options
    I'm betting on the teaser image to be hermes, and the patch has expanded his gameplay/boons. (Winged helmet).

• Options
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Hera, maybe? That hair makes me think Hera.

• Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Hera, maybe? That hair makes me think Hera.

I read somewhere that devs do not intend to add more gods (hopefully, they change their mind, it will be weird to not have at least Haphaestus there). What's shown in the teaser is probably new art for Nyx.

• Options
    Hephaestus would have a lot of overlap with the Daedalus hammers

to me Apollo is the weirdest omission