As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Painting Thread a retrospective

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Khraul wrote: »
    Hit it with a red glaze or ink instead of red paint and it should bring everything back to red without losing the shading you've done

I can try though the paint I used was a bit odd. It is the purple heat paint from secret weapons. I'm not sure using a red would give me the same look. Either way I'm doing more work so I could just load up the airbrush and throw down some more paint.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    I might have made this slightly easier. Still the same amount of work buy less effort with the pink.

It looks like the previous layer, the purple heat paint that ends up as a dark red over purple tints the pink to where I want it, at least on the initial coat. I'm letting it dry now to see if I like it. If it works I'll hit all the pink parts and then go over with purple heat to tint the pink and touch up it's own layer.

I forgot this is basically a glaze paint which is why I usually do a lot of thin layers to build it up and since it dries the way it does it works well with the pink so far.

Before
    fWWkAxf.jpg

After
    5IsAPP3.jpg

Stragint on
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    j13c2abfcbxd.jpeg

More bone bro progress! These dudes are done.

Thinking I’m gonna knock out the Boneshaper next

• Options
    I am constantly surprised that I can still make out fine details with almost no trouble still on some of these terrain pieces.

• Options
    I like where it is all going so far but I'm definitely feeling stressed about fine details. I feel like I've lost detail on the roses and some other parts. It probably isn't as bad as I think it is but it still stresses me out a ton. I still have to do white on the front of each rose and then a fluorescent paint for the glow and then I have two oranges, white, and fluorescent paint to put on the skulls as well.

This is going to take fucking forever.
    5xgy4pa.jpg
    gF9TyHi.jpg
    uHyrt05.jpg
    ajpwkkA.jpg
    8dH7svD.jpg
    gylAOso.jpg
    U94jPdl.jpg
    32PhQnA.jpg
    ZYr4jvi.jpg
    I4TVkne.jpg
    HARMszy.jpg
    ULEFwHt.jpg
    fht2hsw.jpg
    sL4P5ZJ.jpg
    8tvY8Jv.jpg
    jtskFF5.jpg

• Options
    KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    Ok, I give you a Dog Cleric

ggxwcwwxxpmo.jpg

7jw3n1em6qfc.jpg

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Of course it'd be a saint bernard, lol. That's perfect in more ways than one.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    I like where it is all going so far but I'm definitely feeling stressed about fine details. I feel like I've lost detail on the roses and some other parts. It probably isn't as bad as I think it is but it still stresses me out a ton. I still have to do white on the front of each rose and then a fluorescent paint for the glow and then I have two oranges, white, and fluorescent paint to put on the skulls as well.
    At the moment this is true, you have. There's no definition to those parts as they're blended into the surrounding. Look how much more the one patch of flowers you seem to have hand-painted/masked/over-painted stand out from their surroundings and maintain their prominence. You're going to have to balance things back out if you don't want them to get lost.

• Options
    Stragint wrote: »
    At the moment this is true, you have. There's no definition to those parts as they're blended into the surrounding. Look how much more the one patch of flowers you seem to have hand-painted/masked/over-painted stand out from their surroundings and maintain their prominence. You're going to have to balance things back out if you don't want them to get lost.

The hand brushed one annoys me so much. I missed it with the pass of pink in the airbrush and I switched over to purple heat and then realized it. I'm basically out of purple heat though so I couldn't dump it and I had nothing to put it into for the mean time.

The plan with the roses and skulls though is they are giving off light so all the ones but the hand painted one are going as planned.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Any recommendations on Death Guard bone and teeth bits. I was thinking just the skeleton contrast paint with some argax added on

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Any recommendations on Death Guard bone and teeth bits. I was thinking just the skeleton contrast paint with some argax added on

you can also highlight with rakarth flesh for a rotted bone look

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Whatever the contrast bone is called. Use that.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    93wl3kp94u8e.png

Kissable, right.

• Options
    I made the mistake of counting the skulls on the terrain instead of just painting them.

I'm gonna start on this tomorrow.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Aw come on, you can't post that and not tell us how many there were.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Aw come on, you can't post that and not tell us how many there were.

Sorry, I was crying.

There are 424 skulls. From the smallest to he largest.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Khorne will be pleased.

In all seriousness, I hope you feel better. I know things don't always work out like you'd planned, but it's been fun seeing what you come up with. I admire your ambition and creative drive.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    After all my dark fantasy/sci-fi horror 3D printing, I decided to sculpt some pure fantasy stuff; test printed this dwarf lady, based on Warhammer's Fyreslayers.
    OYuduJS.png
    I've wanted to create my own Warhammer minis since like forever, but it was an impossible dream until 3D printing. Now I'm basically a god.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    DocSamsonDocSamson Registered User regular
    Prepping for a Titanicus game in a few weeks so I wanted a new weapon loadout for the Warlord, make him a more mid-range threat. Also finished up the third Warhound for the planned Nemesis Titan maniple. Now on to the Nemesis itself, got lucky with some good priming weather in the middle of winter.

Transfers will happen once this big guy is ready too.

pYs2I9t.jpg

• Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    Question how how you guys have your painting setups.. well set up. At the moment I currently use a small bookshelf and my computer desk but I just don't have the room to comfortably have everything accessible and what not.
    Do you guys set up a separate station to paint at? I'm thinking of getting a separate desk that abuts my desk with painting gear on it that's also a few inches higher (current desk is short enough that hurts my back when i put both elbows down.)

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I just paint in front of my computer because it's the only space I have {and where the lamp is right now}
    I am looking at the various furniture that people toss out for a table I can use [it's usually just old couches}

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Botznoy wrote: »
    Question how how you guys have your painting setups.. well set up. At the moment I currently use a small bookshelf and my computer desk but I just don't have the room to comfortably have everything accessible and what not.
    Do you guys set up a separate station to paint at? I'm thinking of getting a separate desk that abuts my desk with painting gear on it that's also a few inches higher (current desk is short enough that hurts my back when i put both elbows down.)

Not sure what your budget and space is like, but here's my repost from upthread. I recently reorganized my workspace entirely when my wife and I repainted our den. Installed some cheap ikea shelves that I had elsewhere in the house, got my monitor and speakers up on one to free up space for paint storage. I'm looking at building a cheap wallrack for all my paints presently just so I can look up and see all of them at once and free up even more desk space. I could still use a little more space, but I also have a ton of stuff in my little area and could probably use the space I have more efficiently for brush and paint storage.

3a1ihte4rwul.png

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    I need to buy more racks for my paints. I picked up a handful of Scale 75 paints and I quite enjoy how they flow.

• Options
    I've got clear plastic nailpolish racks for mine, but I want something that's more vertical that I can attach to the wall that will hold more stuff and free up more diskspace.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    I've got clear plastic nailpolish racks for mine, but I want something that's more vertical that I can attach to the wall that will hold more stuff and free up more diskspace.

After my "buy MDF and a bunch of electric hardware tools and just make my own" experiment(they turned out fine but its a bunch of effort), I ended up picking up a bunch of nailpolish racks as well and I have to say they work really well for this purpose.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Have you tried running disk defragmentation? Or do you have an SSD?

;P

• Options
    I've always done paint storage a bit weirder than most here, I believe. I keep mine in a toolbox which happens to fit dropper bottles pretty nicely in a 6x19 (IIRC) configuration. Cross-post from the 3D-printing thread where I improved this slightly: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/42119128/#Comment_42119128

Workspace-wise I've never felt I needed much and tried to keep the sprawl down. I'm definitely worse about this when BUILDING the model/figure than I am when painting it. Honestly, the last photo you could find of my workspace was that I was essentially painting inside of the spray-hood for my airbrush, which is plenty of space for most of my projects.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Just did the best wash I've ever done on a mini. I'm very pleased. Letting it dry for the next hour or so and then doing the dry brushing. Wish me luck folks.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    First unit of the year done:
    HOq0mKI.jpg?2
    NIaHWGD.jpg?1
    gOmSA7Q.jpg?2

These lovely chaps are Cutthroats from House Bolton, known cool dudes who would never turn their cloaks and stab anyone at a wedding ever! They've been a staple part of some of my Lannister lists and (due to somewhat generous list building rules) have also featured in my Targaryen list!

Also I'm not big into Resolutions, but I have thought about what some of my projects are for this year and I've come up with the following list so far.

Finish my AoS Nurgle army to 1k/1.5k/2k/completion
    Finish 1/2/3/ALL of my Blood Bowl teams
    Finish all the Lannisters I use regularly/Full stop.
    Paint up some Marvel Crisis Protocol Minis.

So a few projects, but I've decided to give myself multiple tiers of achievement so I don't feel lashed down but still have a few things to work towards.

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    Man Asher... wanna work on my backlog too?

Excellent looking models btw

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    what do folks recommend for a good paint on gloss varnish? I want to try the whole matte model, but glossy bits technique.

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    what do folks recommend for a good paint on gloss varnish? I want to try the whole matte model, but glossy bits technique.

Vallejo's my go-to for the gloss acrylic varnish, and I think that's pretty common.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    So here's my puppers before final gloss touch up. I need to get a new background for my photobooth, white doesn't work for minis. At least with this cheap little thing.

rn9wzrth2rnn.gif

• Options
    DocSamsonDocSamson Registered User regular
    Botznoy wrote: »

I've been poking around looking for similar inspiration on my setup. I had the whole right side of this desk filled with small drawers and boxes and stuff and decided I wanted a cleaner space but it's maybe too sparse now? I need some organization for all the tools and bits for the 'assembly' side of the desk, at least.

Either way, having a dedicated table just for hobby stuff is probably the best thing I've done for hobby productivity. It's nice to not have to make space every time I want to do something. The lights are a recent addition and similarly a huge help having two of them.
    wMzsGmx.jpg

• Options
    So here's my puppers before final gloss touch up. I need to get a new background for my photobooth, white doesn't work for minis. At least with this cheap little thing.

rn9wzrth2rnn.gif

I literally just finished this guy too and used basically the exact same painting scheme!

• Options
    Koreg wrote: »

rn9wzrth2rnn.gif

I literally just finished this guy too and used basically the exact same painting scheme!

Who sells these?

• Options
    Just google Dungeons and Doggies and it pops up. It's a fully set up fan made expansion for DnD where you get to be a dog. They have like 12-18 minis so far.

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I painted up some more Underworlds warbands!
    The pictures are kind of naff, but you can get the gist. I was trying something a little different with the nurgle armour, experimenting with contrast and stuff, but I'm not sure I really like it, I may go back and try something else later on.

xzqwbwmysmn1.jpg

5bl55x1fjnap.jpg

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    The tiger/dog/wolf thing in the first pic looks great. The striping and the mane are really nice

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    I really dislike the nurgle aesthetic. But I will give GW a lot of credit for making the leader a woman (not a lady, though :P ). I did not think they would ever make a female figure from an ugly race.

Also, that is a great paintjob.

Sic transit gloria mundi.