As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The First Rule of [Cook Club] (Cook-along Week 46: Okonomyaki)

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Ah curry, I tried a simple coconut chicken curry for the first time. Simple recipe and it tasted pretty good but a little too sweet, maybe I'd cut out the brown sugar next time. As always my curry is served over a bed of riced cauliflower

http://imgur.com/a/N7cl4K0

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I'll do some regional-to-where-I-live curry recipes people could pick from (gotta rep SEA):

Massaman curry

Sayur lodeh - Indonesian vegetable curry (I have a different recipe for this that I can type out if anyone wants)

Three types of laksa (ditto here, I can transcribe the recipes I've used but these look like they're turn out correct more or less)

Nyonya chicken curry

Sri Lankan mutton curry I've never made this myself, only eaten it, so... ymmv

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I made Chicken Tikka Masala last night!

Mostly based on Chris Morocco's blind recreation of Madhur Jaffrey's Chicken Tikka Masala, which is an odd way to go about a recipe but his method seemed really good
    xnf4CSnh.png

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    no "coriander leaves" sprinkled on top because cilantro can go to hell

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    no "coriander leaves" sprinkled on top because cilantro can go to hell

use fenugreek leaves instead

it makes the dish!

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    fenugreek leaves are hard to find it turns out.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    maybe I should get a bunch of addresses and send some out

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Week 7: Butter Chicken Curry!

xz3UQFFl.jpg

With secret second recipe - Naan!

Process / Recipe(s):
    https://imgur.com/a/gu2Twvr

Doodmann on
    I like to ART
  • Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    I'll do some regional-to-where-I-live curry recipes people could pick from (gotta rep SEA):

Massaman curry

Sayur lodeh - Indonesian vegetable curry (I have a different recipe for this that I can type out if anyone wants)

Three types of laksa (ditto here, I can transcribe the recipes I've used but these look like they're turn out correct more or less)

Nyonya chicken curry

Sri Lankan mutton curry I've never made this myself, only eaten it, so... ymmv

Amazing, thank you! <3

Also Fearghaill I had the same thought occur when I watched that BA episode so it's definitely not odd at all!

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Aw yeah, it's curry time!!

fyv8bew4kl2j.jpg

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    So I'll be at PAX this weekend, so no cooking.

I can probably find some curry and eat it in solidarity, though.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Oh look at that, another curry?!

http://imgur.com/a/NxGdh3B

This is my modified boxed curry, I call it Bachelor Curry.

• Options
    Bachelor curry is a staple in our household.

I like to ART
  • Options
    I just got my mom's curry recipe!! I can't wait!

• Options
    Ah dang, due to an unexpected last minute weekend travel I may not be able to do this (or at least, not until later next week). Gonna write up my gnocchi post so that there's no delay though!

signature.png
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    I really wanted to make chicken tikka masala for curry week but Mrs Mittens 1) isn't a big fan of Indian food and 2) is lactose intolerant so I need to avoid making dishes with cream and butter (and even yogurt). This means either I just make a nice hot Indian curry for me and let her fend for herself or we go farther east and do a Thai curry with coconut milk (delicious, but a dish we make with some frequency).

The two best Indian restaurants near me are both vegetarian (and one of them has a vegan-only menu one day a week) so I very rarely get to eat any Indian meat dishes. Alas.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

This is not based on any recipe because I'm really bad at recipes apparently.

Made a curry paste:
    Toasted fennel seeds, red pepper flakes, and sesame seeds in a dry pan. Added to the mortar and pestle with curry powder, garam masala, cumin, fresh coriander leaves, nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon, minced garlic, minced ginger, and fresh chili, and salt and then mixed in a little oil.
    Grated an onion into some oil in the bottom of a large pot, sauteed that a bit and then added in the curry paste to toast it off.

Mixed in capsicum, mushrooms, broccoli, a can of diced tomatoes, and a can of chickpeas, added in some veggie boullion and water, then more curry powder and garam masala and then cooked it down. Mixed in cream right before serving.

Served with some basmati rice, store bought garlic naan, and some fresh store bought paneer, and coriander grown in the garden.

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I was planning on making Japanese style curry because I have a couple of packages of curry roux.

jlFvFWw.jpg

But it turned out that one of my Hello Fresh meals this week was lamb curry with mango chutney. So I figured I would make that instead and save the Japanese curry for another day.

n4uR61T.jpg

• Options
    I'm making curry tonight!

and also guacamole because if I don't the avocados will go bad and no one wants that

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    All avocados are bad!!!!!!

• Options
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Week 9 will be witch soup

• Options
    Fortunately I live less than 5 miles from Burkittsville so I have a great supply of naturally sourced mountain range child fed witches

• Options
    Yeah I can't do Avacados. I dunno they just taste...off to me. I have to poke em out of the sushi I eat and avoid guac but thats about it, My dad eats em with a spoon and I know their good fat but man I just can't do it.

• Options
    Platy wrote: »
    Week 9 will be witch soup

Gonna need to stock up on Dead Man Chungs

• Options
    love this curry! simple and delicious =)

also, to give me the recipe, my mom wrote it on paper, took a picture of it, embedded it in a word document, and emailed it as an attachment

Love my mom

e246ohzw8zey.jpg

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I will he making the curry tomorrow.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular

I actually made this earlier in the week but am only just now getting around to posting it. Used the leftover fish in my freezer (+ some fresh shrimp) and made a Thai-style coconut seafood curry. Turned out extremely tasty if not super visually appealing. The black mixture in the measuring cup is soy sauce, fish sauce, rice vinegar, Hangar 1 makrut lime vodka, and a little brown sugar. I also totally blanked and forgot to grab a bunch of cilantro!

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    BEHOLD: BUTTER CHICKEN

h0pilr4yh7yv.png

Made with this recipe: https://twosleevers.com/instant-pot-butter-chicken/

but we used like 1.75 pounds of chicken and also doubled the cayenne. It's not too spicy but has a nice little tingle and it's delicious.
    @wafflesmagee made the Naan from scratch and we put a little bit of brown basmati rice in the bowls first. It's delicious and I'm absolutely making this more often, especially because I have all the spices now.

• Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    I am. So full of Chicken Tikka Masala right now, you guys. Send a hearse with a reinforced suspension.

g1yacqy0c8ze.jpg

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    That all looks faaaantastic <3

signature.png
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    So I don't work on Fridays, so I have extra time.

It turns out I've been doing most of these dinners on Friday nights.

I think I've stumbled on a new Shabbat tradition, y'all.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    It's so rewarding to see all the Curry Converts

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I made the curry.

Thai. It is real damn good.

No photos because ever since getting involved with this wonderful woman I have no time left, so. Yeah, it was delicious and we both loved it.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Sing, muse, of the chicken tikka masala given to us by the wise sage Xaquin.

jpdpg5ddqe60.png

I was unable to source Kashmiri chili powder, but the lady at the spice shop assured me that paprika and cayenne was a very similar flavor profile. And I've never been mad at cayenne so far. Also, I was very careful to get my hands on some fenugreek leaves. Which leaves, I am assured, Make the Dish.

0xccjkip1ap1.png

Man, dumping a bunch of spices in a little glass bowl is probably my favorite part of cooking. Makes me feel like I'm on a network morning show. Bam!

apbvz81vrwk5.png

Hell yeah.

7zn4jiol47wj.png

Hell yeah!

Anyway, it turned out super tasty. I'm already excited for the leftovers.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    damn that looks good!

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Been away from here for a bit, but I did make a curry tonight!

f8OlvJZ.jpg

Chicken thigh with salt, pepper, garam masala, and curry powder. A shitload of vegetables (onion, bell pepper, carrot, bak choy, spinach). And a sauce made with green Thai chili paste, coconut milk, garlic, and grated ginger.

Tasted delicious, though I think I’d add more lime and ginger next time. Turns out coconut milk is a secret weapon for making a really nice curry sauce.

Side note: I love that curry bowl.

Enlong on
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    I was doing really well earlier in the year cooking for myself, but things got busy and I have not been able to do this nearly as often (read: ever) as I wanted to. Got some time this week and put together a butter chicken as I did curry, bunny chow, and tikka masala earlier this year. Despite the name, the recipe used heavy cream instead of butter.

XQMexnw.jpg?3

Also made flatbread with the rest of the leftover plain yogurt I mentioned in the cooking thread some weeks back.

Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    I've just landed back home; apologies, I'll update this tomorrow. It's gnocchi this week! Suggest recipes <3

signature.png
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Leftover curry for lunch: still delicious. Definitely a recipe that keeps giving.