As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - Lilygilding

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited February 2020 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Lilygilding

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Anon von ZilchAnon von Zilch Registered User regular
    Well it's probably good for a Jedi to be able to put others at ease.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    But, like, they've already done this (the High Republic) before, in multiple separate time periods. The EU is no longer canon, but even so, I guess I don't get the point of it? Like, this is an old problem for the IP, because they kept retreading the same several conflicts over and over in different time periods. Which is dumb, because it's a whole galaxy. If they want to keep retelling the Old Republic vs Sith over and over, just set the stories up in parallel during one era. Show us different fronts of the same war. This is a symptom of how small the galaxy is often made to feel, that they feel like they need to keep redoing these particular star wars, so that the newest protagonist can be the protagonist for the whole galaxy, every time. But the net result is that the overall timeline felt stupid, because it is so absurdly cyclical, as well as technologically stagnant (that last one I blame Bioware for, at least Dark Horse's Tales of the Jedi series tried to make the Republic thousands of years before the original film trilogy look like a ancient era of interstellar tech in comparison).

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • KaitensatsumaKaitensatsuma Registered User regular
    I seem to recall, long, long, LONG ago we established that Wookies can use....other...limbs to knock people's heads off.

The Lightsaber would be a mercy

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I hard disagree with the sentiment of this comic.

I saw the wookie with the lightsaber, and it was love at first sight. I was ready to go all in and give Disney all my money and sign up for the Wookie Jedi newsletter.

• MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    The Clone Wars series had a Wookie youngling, so it isn't entirely unprecedented.

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
    You know what kind of wookies use lightsabers? Refined, gentlemanly wookies who don't want to get their paws and fur all bloody.

Same with bears with katanas. Why risk chipping a claw or breaking a tooth, when you could dispatch your foe with a katana? Also: Bears wearing full samurai gear sounds pretty rad to me. I am now also fully on board the katana bear train as well as the wookie lightsaber train.

Side note: Anybody remember Dino-Riders from the late 80s? Dinosaurs are ferocious on their own, with the claws and teeth and horns and spikes and armored carapaces and what not. But add missile launchers, lasers, and heavy munitions to dinosaurs, and it makes them even more awesome. Seriously though. How has this not made a resurgence in recent years? A full CGI Dino Riders movie with explosions galore would be the greatest thing ever.
    ZZ58047C89-700x438.jpg

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    MarcinMN wrote: »
    The Clone Wars series had a Wookie youngling, so it isn't entirely unprecedented.

Also Lowbacca in the Young Jedi series, though I never read them. I don't mind wookiee jedi, but I do think putting one in the robes feels kind of silly, somehow.
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    You know what kind of wookies use lightsabers? Refined, gentlemanly wookies who don't want to get their paws and fur all bloody.

Same with bears with katanas. Why risk chipping a claw or breaking a tooth, when you could dispatch your foe with a katana? Also: Bears wearing full samurai gear sounds pretty rad to me. I am now also fully on board the katana bear train as well as the wookie lightsaber train.

Side note: Anybody remember Dino-Riders from the late 80s? Dinosaurs are ferocious on their own, with the claws and teeth and horns and spikes and armored carapaces and what not. But add missile launchers, lasers, and heavy munitions to dinosaurs, and it makes them even more awesome. Seriously though. How has this not made a resurgence in recent years? A full CGI Dino Riders movie with explosions galore would be the greatest thing ever.
    ZZ58047C89-700x438.jpg

I dunno, I think bears would fit better as knights or barbarians. Samurai seem like they should be a more agile animal. Dog people would make sense with their loyalty and a samurai's sense of duty.

As for dino-riders, I had a bunch of their toys as a kid, and they were pretty great. Every now and then I have to remind myself that the really cool themesong was for dinosaucers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy7fO2i9y94

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I got no issue with a Wookie using a light saber or wearing clothes that mark them as a Jedi.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    "Shhh! I'm trying to watch the movie!"

• zeromhzeromh Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    It bothers me that people talk about "gilding the lily," when the original quote from King John was a more apt metaphor for pointless adornment. The original:

"Therefore, to be possess'd with double pomp, To guard a title that was rich before, To gild refined gold, to paint the lily, to throw a perfume on the violet, to smooth the ice, or add another hue unto the rainbow, or with taper-light to seek the beauteous eye of heaven to garnish, is wasteful and ridiculous excess."

Each example of excess mirrors the thing it is an excess of. I like this better.

@h3knuckles, thank you for reminding me about Dinosaucers. As I hear it now it's a ridiculous name, but it hits that nostalgia button.

zeromh on
    Yes, but specifically with wookies, I don't think there's such a thing as "too much."

One cannot over-adorn a wookie. One can only make a wookie more awesome.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    I got no issue with a Wookie using a light saber or wearing clothes that mark them as a Jedi.

Yeah seriously. If anything it would be nice for wookies to not all have to be chewbacca. Maybe chewbacca was weird and breathed through his fur and the rest of the wookies wore clothes.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • PyrianPyrian Registered User regular
    Maybe he uses the lightsaber defensively? Blocking blaster bolts and, well, other lightsabers.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    What if, and I'm just spitballing here, lightsaber claws.

steam_sig.png
  • T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    ZZ58047C89-700x438.jpg

Then boy have I got a movie for you!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaWwugEXwyU

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    The comic's point is bad and it should feel bad. Saying Wookies "can't" or "shouldn't" be Jedi unavoidably comes off as space racist. Kind of like how the new movies casually fell into treating Chewie like the team dog instead of a sentient person who was a hero of the Rebellion the same as Han, Luke, and Leia. Yes, Wookies are good at murder with their bare hands (or other appendages, ha ha). They also carry the largest, most dangerous guns out of any race we've ever seen because uh... it's very easy to get killed by other people's guns, even if you're very very strong. Carrying a Lightsaber that can cut through anything and block laser blasts seems just smart to do?

shoeboxjeddy on
  • LieutenantDanLieutenantDan Registered User regular
    If you overthink it, everyone should have lightsabers.

• RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    Kind of like how the new movies casually fell into treating Chewie like the team dog instead of a sentient person who was a hero of the Rebellion the same as Han, Luke, and Leia.

To be fair the original movies absolutely treated Chewie like the dog or the dumb friend, just like it was pretty much taken as an assumption that droids didn't matter.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    NGL if I had a luxurious pelt I probably wouldn't wear a lot of clothing

steam_sig.png
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular

"Why don't they make armor out of lightsaber handle material?"

H9f4bVe.png
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »

Why would you do that when you can project lightsaber blades around yourself and laser beams bounce off every which way.

edited February 2020
    Hevach wrote: »
    Golden Yak wrote: »

Why would you do that when you can project lightsaber blades around yourself and laser beams bounce off every which way.

Same reason you wouldn't try to survive a zombie apocalypse by wearing a suit made of chainsaws.
    t8cldihz59x9.gif

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    Chewie is a dog

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Han is the dog!

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    edited February 2020
    Ringo wrote: »
    Han is the dog!

I understood that reference.gif

Edit: wait, double reference. It also works as an actor joke because of Indiana Jones.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    and Barf is a mawg - half man, half dog. (He's his own best friend!)

• GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular
    NGL if I had a luxurious pelt I probably wouldn't wear a lot of clothing

In a similar vein, if I had a six(or eight) pack, I would be shirtless a lot more.

• BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I think we're all guilty of assuming that the Wookiee Jedi is a normal Wookiee wearing robes. We don't know if he's actually hairless due to some strange Jedi cult business (like the opposite of a hair shirt or something), and we're all being spared the sight of shaved Wookiee.

But, well, to quote the Six-Million-Dollar Man: "Sasquatch ain't got nothin' you haven't seen before."

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    ...why the heck would Wookiees not be able to be Jedi? What, if you're big and hairy you're no longer allowed to have force powers and a sword?

Steam ID: Right here.
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    ...why the heck would Wookiees not be able to be Jedi? What, if you're big and hairy you're no longer allowed to have force powers and a sword?

The Midi-chlorians get all caught up in the fur, can't do their thing.

because they're just dumb dogs

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Honestly, I can't help but think the worst part about a wookiee jedi would be the smell of burnt hair whenever a lightsaber got a bit too close to that glorious pelt.

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

Yeah, fuck that, honestly. Wookiees are cool.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular

They thought it was best, what with all the butt scooting. Those poor floor cleaning droids...

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Chewie is a dog

Actually Chewbacca is the scientist, you're thinking of Chewbacca's monster

Yeah, fuck that, honestly. Wookiees are cool.

Dogs are cool too.

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    So are you saying Beethoven shouldn't be a Jedi?

I'm not sure I follow

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    I wonder if it's still canon that using your claws to fight is taboo for wookiees?

• dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Well, shit. I just got word that they checked the jedi rulebook, and ain't no rule says a dog can't be a jedi.

WHEN WILL THEY LEARN?

• MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »
    Well, shit. I just got word that they checked the jedi rulebook, and ain't no rule says a dog can't be a jedi.

WHEN WILL THEY LEARN?

Well, we've already established that a cat can be a Jedi, so why not a dog?

tf0h69nnik0p.jpg

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe