As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This is the old Star Citizen thread

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Campy wrote: »
    Axen wrote: »
    So in regards to servers, ultimately what they are going for (and with 3.8 they can start on it proper) is not servers based on locations, but on clusters of players.

As the cluster grows the server expands, as the cluster shrinks the server shrinks. If two clusters of players from different servers overlap the servers merge. Explorers in a Carrack out in the deep nothingness of space are on their own server. Pirates on a Kraken looking for prey in the deep nothingness of space are on their own server. If the two meet they are on one server. The servers can spin up or wind down depending on need. More servers can be brought on live or taken down live as the need requires. The "player cap" would potentially be in the thousands, but the Devs expect more like hundreds in a cluster.

Now in places like cities and stations the clusters will have a much, much smaller cap if only so people can actually do things while in the stations/cities, but outside of locations like those it is free game.

edit- Although in situations where there is a smaller cap on the cluster the game will prioritize putting you with people on your Friends List, your Org-mates or Bounties.

edit 2- Another thing to keep in mind is that when people are on another server you are still getting the state updates for them. For example, if you are on a station and it is at capacity you can look out the window and you will still see other players' ships coming and going. Everyone on every instance of that station will see all the same ships, at the same time, doing the same things. If you got in to your ship, took off and flew towards one of those ships you would then be on their server.

edit 3- Or a more exciting example would be a space battle with lots and lots of people. The system could split all those players up in to multiple clusters (servers) and the players would still see all the ships in the battle doing what they do. You could even fire off a torpedo from your cluster and hit a ship in another cluster.

This is pretty mind blowing tech if they manage to pull this off, probably more so than anything else going on in the game. Do you have a link to the source of this info so I can have a peruse?

This Reddit thread from about a year ago has one of the Devs answering some questions about it. They’ve also talked a bit about it in a number of videos.

The 3.8 patch introduced the thing that is a key component of this, among other things it does.

I expect we’ll start to hear more about it in the coming months. I’m sure Digital Foundry will do a whole video on it.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Hey, so I'm playing on a 3700x and rtx 2070 right now, and at 1080p I get some pretty big dips in framerate. When starting on the planet and making my way to the elevator in the apartments it drops down to about 20fps.

Seems pretty drastic to me, even RDR2 ran better then that. Is that kinda common for everyone?

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Dixon wrote: »
    Hey, so I'm playing on a 3700x and rtx 2070 right now, and at 1080p I get some pretty big dips in framerate. When starting on the planet and making my way to the elevator in the apartments it drops down to about 20fps.

Seems pretty drastic to me, even RDR2 ran better then that. Is that kinda common for everyone?

Arc Corp is pretty system intensive no matter what, but if you don't have it Star Citizen really needs 16+GB of RAM and an SSD.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    3.8.2 is live. Long Term Persistence is enabled.

Keep in mind they will still need to wipe from time to time, but now they no longer have to wipe with each patch.

Axen on
  • Options
    The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular

I'm also running a 3700x and an rtx 2070, along with 32gb of 3600mhz ram and running the game off an SSD. The majority of the time the game runs fine on high settings at 1440p, but Area 18 and Hurston can occasionally dip. I don't think I've ever seen something as low as 20fps though since I upgraded to this hardware. SC really needs a lot of ram and an SSD. Trying to run it off a spinning disk is going to be a bad time. Doubly so if you don't have a ton of ram and it has to re-stream stuff more often.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    So are they not selling certain ships anymore? For instance, I've been really impressed with everything I've seen of the Carrack, and I'd honestly consider buying that, but I can't find a place to purchase that ship online.

I'd think that right when they release a ship into the game world to be actually playable would be a great time to put it on offer.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    They restrict sales of certain ship so that they keep certain ratios in the system. IE they wait until there are 200k of one ship sold before they allow 50k of ship 2

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    So are they not selling certain ships anymore? For instance, I've been really impressed with everything I've seen of the Carrack, and I'd honestly consider buying that, but I can't find a place to purchase that ship online.

I'd think that right when they release a ship into the game world to be actually playable would be a great time to put it on offer.

My theory is they try to control rarity via cost/availability. Like how the Vanduul and AOPOA ships are priced well above other ships in their class.

• Options
    edited February 2020

I'm also running a 3700x and an rtx 2070, along with 32gb of 3600mhz ram and running the game off an SSD. The majority of the time the game runs fine on high settings at 1440p, but Area 18 and Hurston can occasionally dip. I don't think I've ever seen something as low as 20fps though since I upgraded to this hardware. SC really needs a lot of ram and an SSD. Trying to run it off a spinning disk is going to be a bad time. Doubly so if you don't have a ton of ram and it has to re-stream stuff more often.

Ah okay, that's actually good feedback. I'm running off an nvme and using 32gb of ram so seems our systems are identical.

At least I know Im not crazy, especially if you are at 1440p. I tried 4k and 1440p but it was really bad.

EDIT: Is your name from Death Rally?

Dixon on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    so many posts holy shit, must be exciting game news update, maybe something came out!

oh wait

*Tear*

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Gotta be honest, though - the performance improvements in the last patch or so have been fantastic. I'm getting smooth sailing. I was even able to log in very, very briefly, hop in my Space BMW, and tool around for a bit.

Setting up control schemes is, like, the absolute worst, though.

• Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Gotta be honest, though - the performance improvements in the last patch or so have been fantastic. I'm getting smooth sailing. I was even able to log in very, very briefly, hop in my Space BMW, and tool around for a bit.

At least you don't have to worry about setting up a button to use your turn signals.

• Options
    The Stanton system is close to completion. Up next is the Pyro system.

The Devs have said they went with Stanton first because it contains most all of the assets that players will encounter in other star systems. Once Stanton is complete they figure other systems should come at a lot faster pace. Especially with there planet tech being at v4 and apparently to their liking.

• Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »

At least you don't have to worry about setting up a button to use your turn signals.

Wait until they implement vehicles modes as an abstraction layer for unique ship controls then add that weird knob to your space BMW.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Carrack is up for sale now.

It's...

Well, it's a bit pricier than I'm comfortable dropping on the game (again).

Warbond version: $500 (standard), $525 (Expedition variant) (can add the little dockable shuttle for an extra $20)
    Non-warbond version: $600 (standard), $625 (Expedition variant) (can also add the little dockable shuttle for the same extra $20)

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/17495-Anvil-Carrack-Flyable-Now

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    mastertheheromasterthehero Professional Video Editor & Book Author Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Carrack is up for sale now.

It's...

Well, it's a bit pricier than I'm comfortable dropping on the game (again).

Warbond version: $500 (standard), $525 (Expedition variant) (can add the little dockable shuttle for an extra $20)
    Non-warbond version: $600 (standard), $625 (Expedition variant) (can also add the little dockable shuttle for the same extra $20)

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/17495-Anvil-Carrack-Flyable-Now

Umm... yikes.

hk52krrtzsf6.gif
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    So is the dockable shuttle actually dockable right now?

Just wondering because the Connie has had that Merlin welded to its ass since forever, and presumably that will finally be able do dock/undock once they work on it with ships like the Carrack. As funny as it is to have what amounts to a big useless chair waaaaay in the back of the Connie, I'd like to be able to actually fly off with that Merlin at some point.

• Options
    LJDouglasLJDouglas Registered User regular
    Issue for the Merlin is it has to actually physically merge with the Connie, same for ship docking collars. For the Carrack it's just got a big room on the top deck that can fit most snub sized ships. People have even managed to get Auroras landed in it. Pisces is just the Star Trek style shuttle craft that the Carrack's been marketed as coming with since concept. Noteworthy that it has enough seating for 3 people (pilot and 2 passengers) which is relatively high for ships of its size. So Carrack doesn't dock with its shuttle, just has a big enough room to park it inside.

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    LJDouglas wrote: »
    Issue for the Merlin is it has to actually physically merge with the Connie, same for ship docking collars. For the Carrack it's just got a big room on the top deck that can fit most snub sized ships. People have even managed to get Auroras landed in it. Pisces is just the Star Trek style shuttle craft that the Carrack's been marketed as coming with since concept. Noteworthy that it has enough seating for 3 people (pilot and 2 passengers) which is relatively high for ships of its size. So Carrack doesn't dock with its shuttle, just has a big enough room to park it inside.

This. They're also apparently close to having "ship in a ship" spawning working, so that you can, for instance, spawn a Carrack or an 890 Jump with a ship or rover already in it. Ship-to-ship docking is going to be necessary for the Connie's snub fighter to be operational, and is one of those features that keeps getting pushed back over and over again. Along with anything related to the FPS AI, which will remain dumb as bricks for the foreseeable future, since they just pushed back the improvements that were supposed to be coming in 4.0 AGAIN.

Buuuut on the bright side, some of you might remember me mentioning a while back that some data-miners had discovered that Miles Ekhart's mission chain is supposed to end with you taking down a hijacked Idris. Well, apparently that mission is now coming with 3.9:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/spectrum-dispatch/17500-Roadmap-Roundup-February-28th-2020

It'll be nice to finally have some content that needs a proper team to take on. The Hijacked 890 Jump mission was supposed to need a team of four, but it turns out its easily soloable (which might change if the FPS AI ever becomes an actual threat), but the sheer amount of shields the Idris is going to have should mean that its going to take a lot of firepower to do any damage at all.

• Options
    GokerzGokerz Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    The Hijacked 890 Jump mission was supposed to need a team of four, but it turns out its easily soloable (which might change if the FPS AI ever becomes an actual threat)

I have tried that mission three times now and disagree with easily! We were two on the first two tries.
    They shoot at you all right and heavy armour does jack all.
    We may just be really bad though.

Gokerz on
    causality.png
  • Options
    jinkumabutajinkumabuta Registered User regular
    The trick to solo that mission reliably is to stay around a corner and use the tactical loudener (stabilizer) on one of the LMGs which triggers all the AIs to run towards you on rails to be mowed down instead of standing in place, forcing you to find an angle and headshot them before they aimbot you. Early on, I used grenades to have the same effect but they are pretty bugged and randomly just stick to your feet instead of being thrown.

• Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Nice, for those of us who picked up a carrack years ago you can upgrade it and get the shuttle for 20$. The value the carrack you already have at the new price point and not what was originally paid.

Edit: Oh cool after upgrading I got this listed in my hangar "Carrack Expedition Plushie "

Handkor on
  • Options
    The trick to soloing the 890 Jump mission is to git gud, but if that doesn't work you can also sneak in from the side doors, then take the elevator down to the medbay, and then set the ICU table there as your spawn point.

After that it just becomes a game of attrition.

• Options
    Upgraded my Aurora to a Cutlass, it's a lot more fun.

Haven't really played more then 30 minutes at a time since I originally bought in, so it was kinda cool to see it in action.

Took a bounty where I needed to land on some planet and enter a base, was fun just getting there.

Unfortunately, the npcs inside I guess were broken, bullets from my pistol didn't seem to hit them, so I dead.

• Options
    Gokerz wrote: »
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    The Hijacked 890 Jump mission was supposed to need a team of four, but it turns out its easily soloable (which might change if the FPS AI ever becomes an actual threat)

I have tried that mission three times now and disagree with easily! We were two on the first two tries.
    They shoot at you all right and heavy armour does jack all.
    We may just be really bad though.

The thing is, it really depends on the state of the specific server you're on. If the server isn't under too much load, they respond a lot better. If its under heavy load, they will stand there while you headshot them one at a time. They're a lot better lately though, its been a while since I've seen them outright ignore me, but there have definitely been moments where they've taken several seconds to acknowledge that there is in fact somebody shooting at them.
    The trick to soloing the 890 Jump mission is to git gud, but if that doesn't work you can also sneak in from the side doors, then take the elevator down to the medbay, and then set the ICU table there as your spawn point.

After that it just becomes a game of attrition.

This. If you dive right into the cargo bay (which I'll admit is the most obvious entry point) there's a good chance you'll get ventilated, but if you enter via the side doors at the back you're in a much better position to take them down one by one. And one by one they're not really much of a threat, its only when a couple of them surround you that you're in any danger. One day they will actually take cover, but that particular feature has been pushed back for I think three patches in a row now.

• Options
    Man, I haven't been able to complete the 'destroy stash' merc quest.

The most common issues are the npcs bug out, or the button for the elevator disappears lol.

One time though I landed, destroyed the stash and running towards my ship, the base turrets just unloaded on my ship, went up in flames in less then 5 seconds. I should of left it running for the shields i guess.

• Options
    Man, I haven't been able to complete the 'destroy stash' merc quest.

The most common issues are the npcs bug out, or the button for the elevator disappears lol.

One time though I landed, destroyed the stash and running towards my ship, the base turrets just unloaded on my ship, went up in flames in less then 5 seconds. I should of left it running for the shields i guess.

Last two times I've tried it the elevator button has been clipped into the panel so I can't actually press it.

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    Reason #572 not to internet before the caffeine has kicked in:

I misread this as
    The SR-71 has seats for 13 and several standing consoles in it's main command area alone, not including ship's doctor, engineers, or marine team.

And it blew my half-functioning mind so hard I automatically allowed the possibility that a two-seat aircraft, which I have physically seen, could possibly house that much crew, stay on station long enough to require a doctor, and began to speculate on what the role of the Marines on a USAF spy plane could possibly have been.

I only became aware of the absurdity of the rabbit hole I was sliding down somewhere around wondering if they were meant to parachute out and scuttle the crash site, or plant the charges on the way down.

This sounds awesome. I’m imagining a team jumping out of an SR-71. I want that adrenaline rush.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    A team jumping out of an SR-71 would be dead before they could appreciate the adrenaline rush. At higher SR-71 speeds, the impact of the wind would be equivalent to an explosion several times strong enough to knock down concrete and steel structures, and people aren't made of either of those things.

Though an interesting note about the SR-71: there was a version that could launch a really old-school high-speed analog drone that would be carried on top of the plane and launched at high speed, fly straight over a target, take pictures on a timer, then be retrieved after leaving enemy airspace. It was problematic, though, and never had a successful run before the project was cancelled.

• Options
    CornucopiistCornucopiist Registered User regular
    Once wrote a really Gary Stu story where the zombie/golem 'asset' is carried in the camera bay of an Oxcart (SR-71 variant).

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    A team jumping out of an SR-71 would be dead before they could appreciate the adrenaline rush. At higher SR-71 speeds, the impact of the wind would be equivalent to an explosion several times strong enough to knock down concrete and steel structures, and people aren't made of either of those things.

Though an interesting note about the SR-71: there was a version that could launch a really old-school high-speed analog drone that would be carried on top of the plane and launched at high speed, fly straight over a target, take pictures on a timer, then be retrieved after leaving enemy airspace. It was problematic, though, and never had a successful run before the project was cancelled.

I remember that GI Joe Cobra plane.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SwampFoxSwampFox Registered User regular
    I finally broke the million credit mark. That's after spending about 700k to max out my Freelancer Max. Got a lot easier to make credits when I started using my Carrack for trades. Anyway, I've been having a lot of fun with 3.8 and I can't wait to see 3.9. The game still has a lot of work ahead of it, but I'm really impressed with the things they're trying to accomplish. Anyone else on here play on a semi regular basis? Would like to see what a fully crewed Carrack can do.

"It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required." - Sir. Winston Churchill
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    The Stanton system is close to completion. Up next is the Pyro system.

The Devs have said they went with Stanton first because it contains most all of the assets that players will encounter in other star systems. Once Stanton is complete they figure other systems should come at a lot faster pace. Especially with there planet tech being at v4 and apparently to their liking.

banzehh6h5lj.png

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    3.9 dropped, MicroTech and New Babbage are in. New moons are in.

It's easy to forget sometimes how stunningly beautiful this game can be.
    Star-Citizen-2020-04-29-11-07-38-14.png
    Star-Citizen-2020-04-29-11-42-17-48.png
    Star-Citizen-2020-04-29-11-45-31-34.png

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    I forget, was 3.9 when the Reclaimer was finally gonna start having its salvage mechanics implemented? Is it time to blow the dust off my install?

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    I forget, was 3.9 when the Reclaimer was finally gonna start having its salvage mechanics implemented? Is it time to blow the dust off my install?

Salvage was pushed off the roadmap pending something or other; so you'll have at least six more months of dust when the time comes.

• Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    These weather effects. God damn.

and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    The_InfidelThe_Infidel Registered User regular
    God I hope this game winds up working out....

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Systems seem to be coming together, albeit slowly. But there is the framework of a game there, now.

They kind of really need to start the Pyro system, though.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    Dusda wrote: »
    These weather effects. God damn.

This sort of scenery is just begging for something to come scrabbling at you from the edge of your vision and launch itself at your face.

How many people would respond to the automated distress call, come flying close to take a look, see a guy on the ground with something on his face, and just blow that shit the fuck up before marking the planet down as "DO NOT LAND".

This discussion has been closed.