As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WH40K] Big Preview Tomorrow!

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »
    The commentary on Master of Ambush is basically just, "We didn't think about Assault Centurions when we wrote this."

To paraphrase Ian Malcolm, they were too busy wonder if it was cool enough to stop to think if it was OP enough.
    Munchkinism will, after all, find a way…

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    In other news, the rules preview for the black library special characters confirms that there'll be a PA book with sisters of silence and custodes that might even fold them both into a Talons of the Emperor faction.

Yeah, that seems pretty explicit...

From the article:
    If you’re up to speed with all the latest rules developments in Chapter Approved 2019, you’ll notice that, by only having the Imperium Faction Keyword on their combined datasheet, Valerian and Aleya cannot currently join an Adeptus Custodes Detachment without the latter losing their Battle-forged bonus. However, you need not worry, for it won’t be long before both factions will be able to fight as one once more, when the Talons of the Emperor join the epic battles of the Psychic Awakening…

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    ...I wonder if my lgs still has that sisters box.....

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    I don't currently run a Custodes army, but I always kind of wanted to. Going to have to make a decision Saturday. I hate decisionmaking.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Khraul wrote: »

Just making sure here, but bear in mind Sisters of Silence ≠ Sisters of Battle

• TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Reading the FAQs they seem like well reasoned changes and not punishment style nerf batting.

I expect marines will still be great but stuff like invincible IH dreads being gone is a great move

Which is positive. Is fine that Marines are strong and have solid Troop choices. But unkillable Chaplain Dreads? Super Centurion rush? Getting to be the shootiest army of the game AND having great CC/staying power? Yeah, nah.

TryCatcher on
    honovere wrote: »
    In other news, the rules preview for the black library special characters confirms that there'll be a PA book with sisters of silence and custodes that might even fold them both into a Talons of the Emperor faction.

Yeah, that seems pretty explicit...

From the article:
    If you’re up to speed with all the latest rules developments in Chapter Approved 2019, you’ll notice that, by only having the Imperium Faction Keyword on their combined datasheet, Valerian and Aleya cannot currently join an Adeptus Custodes Detachment without the latter losing their Battle-forged bonus. However, you need not worry, for it won’t be long before both factions will be able to fight as one once more, when the Talons of the Emperor join the epic battles of the Psychic Awakening…

Unfortunately that could also mean “here we made this stupid custom force org. chart that makes Adeptus custards and Quiet Girls work together as it’s only benefit! Not even strategy points! Are we not awesome to you guys?”

Burnage wrote: »

Just making sure here, but bear in mind Sisters of Silence ≠ Sisters of Battle

Booooooo (but also, fair point)

I'd love to see a unified inquisition/assassins/sisters/custodes codex.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    Yeah, Codex Agents of the Emperor would be pretty nice. Especially if they finally got around to giving Inquisitors some actual customisation options. Like, copy the Kharadron Code mechanic as the “Lex Imperialis” so your champion of Law above all else, even Order, can be big-fancy-hat-man or sneaky-sneaky-catchy-mousie or anything in between as you please. More fancy toys too, pls., like the Null Rod from the SoB codex rather than the weaksauce baby version in the WD list.

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Speaking of sisters (of battle).

Even with the new changes, I'm still kind of bored of my Tau. I want to fight things! I want more interaction.

What's this, an almost all melee sisters list doing pretty well at tournaments?

So, yeah. Now I have a box of battle sisters to start building.

I've been leafing through the Sisters Codex and I'm seriously impressed by the amount of bullshit they can pull off. On paper they've got some really interesting combos, and their early results in tournaments certainly support that.

Sisters kinda out outshined by IH lists with Chappy Dreads, but they are a farily decent army.

Burnage wrote: »
    I've been leafing through the Sisters Codex and I'm seriously impressed by the amount of bullshit they can pull off. On paper they've got some really interesting combos, and their early results in tournaments certainly support that.

Repentia are something truly horrific if they can charge. 4 attacks each, hitting on 4's rerolling, strength 8, +1 to wound, ap -4 2 dmg, rerolling the ones to wound. It's something like 28 saves at that ap against anything t7 or lower. 117 points, plus support characters, but you're taking those characters anyway to buff zephyrim and seraphim.

The general gameplan is to do something like this.

Repentia unit one disembarks 3" (within, so to the back of the base. So add that distance as well), moves 6, advances seven automatically through miracle dice (and your warlord trait guarantees the 6 value dice.) So we're at 16" already. So assuming your opponent deployed on the line for dawn of war, you need a 7" charge (+1" for melee range). You already have a +1 to roll. The dilogoues means that you just need two miracle dice who total at least four to get that charge.

Meanwhile, repentia unit two moved up in its rhino, unit three got into the empty rhino and also moved up.

So you missile the first unit turn one. Kill what you can touch, basically, potentially fighting twice so you can carve through the screen to the meat behind. Then you launch the next unit next turn, then the third.

Of course, if you go second or are on hammer and anvil, you play they "do you want to take the middle objectives? Go on. Do it." game and just have these absurd bullies ready to come screaming out of rhinos. (who otherwise live outside of LOS).

You back this up with being able to near guarantee zephyrim charges from deepstrike, or having serpahim inferno pistoling armour from deepstrike, and it seems fun as hell.

It's cool.

TryCatcher wrote: »
    Sisters kinda out outshined by IH lists with Chappy Dreads, but they are a farily decent army.

With the doctrine nerf, there isn't actually much preventing you from combining Sisters chaff with Marine firepower - some tournament players were already running that kind of list to some success. Good luck taking out the big guns when you've got 60 3+/4++/6+++ ignore AP-2 bodies in the way.

• LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Why would that prevent you from taking out the big guns? Exorcists don't ignore line of sight and are T8 3+ 6++ (and 6+++, ignore AP -1 in that order) which isn't bad, but anyone ready for fancy dreadnoughts and titanic crap can blow them away.

I like Sisters for casual play but the competitive options are pretty limited, and even those feel like they just happen to take advantage of the current meta.

edited February 2020
    Speaking off, GW just confirmed that we are getting Codex: Talons of the Emperor with both Custodes and Sisters of Silence.

Is a small note on the post of the new models based on some novels that I haven't read:
    f5821275.jpg

So that's cool.

TryCatcher on
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Codex SM errata seems fine. Hurts me a tiny bit as Ultramarines because I can't just keep my castle in tactical doctrine forever, but it's minor. Nothing about the current list I'm running changes.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    Why would that prevent you from taking out the big guns? Exorcists don't ignore line of sight and are T8 3+ 6++ (and 6+++, ignore AP -1 in that order) which isn't bad, but anyone ready for fancy dreadnoughts and titanic crap can blow them away.

I like Sisters for casual play but the competitive options are pretty limited, and even those feel like they just happen to take advantage of the current meta.

I don't mean running Exorcists (although maybe?), I mean souping Sisters infantry with Marines. Sisters' Sacred Rites aren't a huge loss and now Marines might not value Doctrines quite as highly, so running both together can substantially shore up each others' weaknesses.

I think it's going to be a combination to watch out for, at the very least.

• No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Hooray, I can finally maybe possibly conceivably within reason take vehicles against my friend's Imperial Fists again!

I will once again be able to move my tanks around the board while making rumbly engines sounds.

VRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOMMMMM GRAAUUUUUAAGGHRRRRRRAAAUUUUUUUNNNNGH!

• ArdolArdol Registered User regular
    I haven't played in a while and I've got a couple rule questions: the +1 to hit from My Will Be Done does NOT apply on overwatch correct? tesla 6's still explode though yes? If I have something which does d6 damage, do I roll one die and apply the result to every wound? or roll one die for each wound?

• LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Overwatch is only ever natural sixes unless the rule specifically says it improves Overwatch, but yes anything that happens on a 6 to hit still happens.

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Ardol wrote: »
    I haven't played in a while and I've got a couple rule questions: the +1 to hit from My Will Be Done does NOT apply on overwatch correct? tesla 6's still explode though yes? If I have something which does d6 damage, do I roll one die and apply the result to every wound? or roll one die for each wound?

Tesla is one of my favorite parts of playing Necrons and doing overwatch. Any 6's double the actual amount of hits. It is great.

For D6 damage you would roll 1 dice after successful unsaved wounds and that is how much damage that model receives. So if it is a model with 4 wounds and you roll a 5 that model takes 5 wounds.

If you are shooting a unit of 5 models that each have 1 wound with a weapon that does D6 damage and you roll a 5 for the damage you only kill 1 model from that unit because wounds do not carry over unless that weapon has a special ability that allows it which is very uncommon. Same goes for a unit of 5 models that each have two wounds and your roll for you D6 damage weapon is a 5. Still only 1 model dies.

Mortal wounds don't follow this rule though I think. Pretty sure mortal wounds are the only type of wound that will carry over.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.

The rules are structured so that you only ever roll one attack at a time. Normally you would never end up in a situation where you were rolling multiple dice for damage unless the weapon’s damage characteristic was 2d3 or whatever.

There is, however, an optional extra rule that allows you to roll multiple attacks with similar characteristics together but regardless they remain individual attacks and, technically, the damage is always resolved one attack at a time anyway, even using the fast rolling rule.

You have it bang on for Overwatch and MWBD and Tesla.

• ArdolArdol Registered User regular
    So if I'm shooting three shots at D6 damage I would roll separate dice to determine D for each wound that gets through? Or do you roll once before any shooting to determine D for that round or phase?

So if I'm shooting three shots at D6 damage I would roll separate dice to determine D for each wound that gets through? Or do you roll once before any shooting to determine D for that round or phase?

You roll for damage on each individual shot after wounding. So if I've shot a D6 damage gun at a delicious tank, the order of operations is

Roll to hit -> roll to wound -> roll save -> roll to determine damage -> roll to ignore wounds

edited February 2020
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

The rules are structured so that you only ever roll one attack at a time. Normally you would never end up in a situation where you were rolling multiple dice for damage unless the weapon’s damage characteristic was 2d3 or whatever.

There is, however, an optional extra rule that allows you to roll multiple attacks with similar characteristics together but regardless they remain individual attacks and, technically, the damage is always resolved one attack at a time anyway, even using the fast rolling rule.

You have it bang on for Overwatch and MWBD and Tesla.

Huggggeee huge caveat here.

Whilst a natural six is the only shot that hits in overwatch, your modifiers still apply. This doesn’t effect the actual shots but it does effect abilities and is extremely important to necrons.

If I have a unit with -1 to hit charging Tesla immortals, whilst natural sixes will hit me, it won’t trigger Tesla because those hits are still modified to 5’s

My will be done will counter this, because it’s +1 is still in effect.

Edit: This used to be an “edge case” think but with the volume of possessed running round with negatives to hit, it’s going to come up if you play necrons and face chaos.

Norgoth on
    Another fun note about Necrons and Tesla.

The Stratagem Talent for Annihilation (Unmodified rolls of 6s allow one additional hit roll) stack with Tesla in amusing ways since those additional attacks you get to roll for rolling an unmodified 6 can then themselves explode in Tesla glory.

Great for Doomscythes.

Bizazedo wrote: »
    Another fun note about Necrons and Tesla.

The Stratagem Talent for Annihilation (Unmodified rolls of 6s allow one additional hit roll) stack with Tesla in amusing ways since those additional attacks you get to roll for rolling an unmodified 6 can then themselves explode in Tesla glory.

Great for Doomscythes.

I thought extra hits couldn't generate extra hits? Or is it because it is a different method of mote hits?

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

Stragint wrote: »

I thought extra hits couldn't generate extra hits? Or is it because it is a different method of mote hits?
    They're different methods. So you roll a 6, boom, 3 hits instead of one. You still get to roll one additional attack because of the initial 6.

And if that rolls a 6, well, that hit becomes 3 hits too.

You can't roll AGAIN, obviously, but it is separate.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Are Falchions still the way and the light for strike squads and paladins? I ordered the GK PA book and I figure I might as well do something with all these GK models I have. They are currently unarmed so I can choose whatever I want at this point.

Doubt I'm going to build a full army, just enough to do a detachment for fun and smaller games since I already own a set of Paladins, two strike squads, a walker and Kaldor Draigo.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    Been building some battlesisters. Got a few thoughts on the kit

First, it might as well be mono-pose. It’s extremly like the plague marine kit where there is one torso that matches each set of legs and arms. There is a lot of heads (more on that in a moment) but that’s basically it. Choice of melee weapon on the squad leader.

The trade off is each one is incredibly detailed. There’s a lot going on with each of these which is great.

Buuutt the moldlines are horrific. Each helmeted head (and there are a bunch, again I’ll get to it) has a massive mold line running right down the centre. Every torso connects to the sprue by the delicate shoulder pad detail. It’s a nightmare. It’s taken me hours to build 5 of them.

And finally the heads. Oh god the heads.
    So, the kit also builds the elite sisters squads. The only difference? The helmets have a fluer-de-lys on them. This means every single part that has a helmet, including hilarious an arm holding one tucked and several unattached visors, are doubled up. Literally copy and pasted next to each other. There’s something like 20 helmets and 10 bare heads in this kit. It’s weird as hell.

Still, if you don’t mind the locked poses in exchange for more detail (and I don’t) it’s fine. I do think that if you’re looking to play the elite sisters squads, you get away with using the banner bearers in the kits as imagifiers to save some cash.

• italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Are Falchions still the way and the light for strike squads and paladins? I ordered the GK PA book and I figure I might as well do something with all these GK models I have. They are currently unarmed so I can choose whatever I want at this point.

Doubt I'm going to build a full army, just enough to do a detachment for fun and smaller games since I already own a set of Paladins, two strike squads, a walker and Kaldor Draigo.

There’s definite uses for each in 40k. Falchions are the way to go for Kill Team. My solution is to buy a ton and have lots of options!

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »
    Been building some battlesisters. Got a few thoughts on the kit

First, it might as well be mono-pose. It’s extremly like the plague marine kit where there is one torso that matches each set of legs and arms. There is a lot of heads (more on that in a moment) but that’s basically it. Choice of melee weapon on the squad leader.

The trade off is each one is incredibly detailed. There’s a lot going on with each of these which is great.

Buuutt the moldlines are horrific. Each helmeted head (and there are a bunch, again I’ll get to it) has a massive mold line running right down the centre. Every torso connects to the sprue by the delicate shoulder pad detail. It’s a nightmare. It’s taken me hours to build 5 of them.

And finally the heads. Oh god the heads.
    So, the kit also builds the elite sisters squads. The only difference? The helmets have a fluer-de-lys on them. This means every single part that has a helmet, including hilarious an arm holding one tucked and several unattached visors, are doubled up. Literally copy and pasted next to each other. There’s something like 20 helmets and 10 bare heads in this kit. It’s weird as hell.

Still, if you don’t mind the locked poses in exchange for more detail (and I don’t) it’s fine. I do think that if you’re looking to play the elite sisters squads, you get away with using the banner bearers in the kits as imagifiers to save some cash.

This feels similar to how I find Ad Mech. And a bit with the new csm. Bonuses with detail but feel way less flexible on the whole customization thing.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Speaking of heads. Looking at the banshee sprue it looks like the copy pasted single face 5 times for the maskless heads and then another 2 different identical heads for some reason? The kit is getting more and more disappointing. The incubi kit at least uses the standard shoulder connection that the other drukhari kits use. The Banshees have monopose arms.

To be more positive for a change, I really like the stylings of the heresy era dark angels. Probably the best looking legion right now. Also plasma flamers! Probably actually more realistic than plasma guns.

Now give me MK3 looking primaris Marines please.

honovere on
  • NechriahNechriah Chookity!Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Since I decided to get back into 40K last year I’ve done a lot of research, bought a couple of model kits, and been very indecisive about which faction I want to play. I got in a lot of hobby practice last weekend, and today I assembled the first model I feel okay about posting a picture of online - no gaps, no scratches where I’ve slipped with the modelling knife, no pools of glue...I’m actually pretty happy with this one! I know this probably doesn’t seem like a big achievement but I wanted to share my progress toward being okay at something I enjoy

3wau68fxewwi.jpeg

Nechriah on
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Cross posting from the painting thread
    Just in time for coronavirus, its the Death Guard
    hubd906mg6gd.jpg
    j6f74rwcm77f.jpg
    krby9amkoux6.jpg
    mpdpp2h1bwiw.jpg
    lw10r8n6tgkd.jpg

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    edited March 2020
    After clearing out, selling off, and swapping a bunch of 40k stuff this year I'm down to a couple of armies. The one I'm most excited about is a reasonably sized space Wolves Army that I'm super stoked to be playing... My local game shop has a talons or morkai box. I can use more intercessors, wulfen are awesome, I can probably use the iron priest....

But how's the ship that comes with it?

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    After clearing out, selling off, and swapping a bunch of 40k stuff this year I'm down to a couple of armies. The one I'm most excited about is a reasonably sized space Wolves Army that I'm super stoked to be playing... My local game shop has a talons or morkai box. I can use more intercessors, wulfen are awesome, I can probably use the iron priest....

But how's the ship that comes with it?

The ship is fun. It is basically a flying land raider one 1 less toughness and 2 less wounds. It can transport 8 wulfen which is nice but it is also expensive. The gunship version is also fun to use.

I've been considering buying the two morkai boxes my LGS has.

I didn't even know it could be built as two things :lol:

The gunship looks pretty cool

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • AsherAsher Registered User regular
    Alright, I've got a pile of Primaris marines sitting in my cupboard and friends who keep bugging me to play 40k again. I'm currently thinking of doing them up as Blood Angels just so I can run stupid Sexy mephiston and bright red seems like fun. Are Primaris only Blangels okish? I mean I'm not going to try to win any tournaments here, I just want to be able to play games without sucking shit 100% of the time.

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints