As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Finally, a video game about the best part of [Star Wars]

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    LAUGH AT THEIR SCREAMING THE ONLY REAL MIRTH

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Hell of a totp.

• Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    TROS doesn't have ideas

It has an elbow that's constantly nudging you and going "Eh? Eh? Remember that?"

It absolutely has ideas. The idea that Finn was the first of a group of child soldiers gifted empathy and the ability to rebel is great.

So why didn’t they have anything for them to do?

The weirder part than having a faction of rebel ex-stormtroopers with nothing to do was having that faction and also having the main characters absolutely slaughter their way across a star destroyer.

Like fuckin, they introduced these new red Sith Troopers who are apparently true believers in Palpatine's nonsense so they could have a bunch of mooks it was okay to kill but they kept going with blasting the brainwashed children anyway.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    That was one thing that stood out to me. During that rampage every single shot they fired killed a Stormtrooper. It was effortless and felt like they were never in any danger.

• Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    That was one thing that stood out to me. During that rampage every single shot they fired killed a Stormtrooper. It was effortless and felt like they were never in any danger.

yeah, they were fighting stormtroopers

• Options
    painfulPleasancepainfulPleasance The First RepublicRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Magell wrote: »
    TROS doesn't have ideas

It has an elbow that's constantly nudging you and going "Eh? Eh? Remember that?"

It absolutely has ideas. The idea that Finn was the first of a group of child soldiers gifted empathy and the ability to rebel is great.

So why didn’t they have anything for them to do?

The movie didn't really have that as an idea. You had to want to interpret it that way.

I feel like people at Disney and LucasArts had ideas, but not anyone with actual power, just the costume and set people who got put in front of cameras for the making-of features and material that were modeled after Talking Dead or Game of Thrones.

painfulPleasance on
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

Despite the Stormtroopers shooting back at them the whole time, later they get surrounded by troops who do not fire and kill them for some reason? Then, they're taken to a special execution room where they are allowed to escape. It is a dumpster fire of a scene, start to finish.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    What
    Fuck off

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    Attack of the Clones but its ten million Palpatines cackling overeachother

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Why the hell would he have been so fucked up if he were a clone?
    I thought the point of him being so decrepit and needing to be connected to the giant robot arm keeping him alive was because he somehow survived the fall down the chute

• Options
    Man Palpatine actually is bad at clones I was just joking before, Snoke was all fucked up for no reason and Palpaclone was also fucked up for no reason

• Options
    OdinOdin Registered User regular
    Maybe they left the cloning oven set at 90 years old, happens all the time

• Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    Why the hell would he have been so fucked up if he were a clone?
    I thought the point of him being so decrepit and needing to be connected to the giant robot arm keeping him alive was because he somehow survived the fall down the chute

I also thought that made no sense considered "the draining life to become younger" thing, but apparently the explanation is that his dark side power is just tooooo big to be contained in an imperfect clone and it's messing him up.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Turns out It's long-established that The Dark Side Fucks You Up, what with being "unnatural" and all.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    This is just like with TFA where they had the novelization fill in a bunch of the gaps that should have been in the fucking film, except that instead of being things that are just background set dressing like "what's the political landscape between the Republic, Resistance, and First Order, anyway?" it's dealing with major plot points and major characters.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    JJ, this is not what they mean when they say “we’ll fix it in post”

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Turns out It's long-established that The Dark Side Fucks You Up, what with being "unnatural" and all.

That plus I'm sure the cloning done at Exegol's not as great as Kamino. Probably a lot harder to build a body there strong enough to hold Palpatine's bloated Dark Side energy. Honestly, the idea that he's using a clone body to show up in Rise is not that surprising or a big deal. Hell, he's done it before in Legends material.

• Options
    Owenashi wrote: »

That plus I'm sure the cloning done at Exegol's not as great as Kamino. Probably a lot harder to build a body there strong enough to hold Palpatine's bloated Dark Side energy. Honestly, the idea that he's using a clone body to show up in Rise is not that surprising or a big deal. Hell, he's done it before in Legends material.

Yeah and the Legends material was super explicit that he was in a clone body and that the clones weren't good enough and that was part and parcel to the drama of the storyline. They even did a later storyline about a guy in the Empire who had deliberately made the clones worse than they would have been otherwise because he didn't WANT the Emperor to return.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    So last night my roommates and I watched the Phantom Menace for the Nth time because why not.

I mean, its still an enjoyable film to yell at and trash talk, so it has that going for it.

But I continued to ask the very same question from the beginning of the film all the way till the end:

What does a Jedi do? What is their role? Why are they sent by the Senate to act as diplomats on a trade dispute?

I think this film, more than any others, presents the Jedi as close to the samurai as possible.

But, again, what is their job!?!?

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Seems like they are somewhat like the US Marshalls, except they serve the Senate instead of the Judiciary because there is no such thing as Separation of Powers in Star Wars

They say they are there to be diplomats, but if that were true Palpatine or Padmé or someone from Naboo would be with them. Really they are there to tell the Trade Federation to stop being dinguses.

Joolander on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Because I watched all the Clones Wars I purchased the Star Wars: Legion Clone Wars starter set to paint some clones and droids. Today I went to a game store to get some tan colored spray for the droids and walked out with a stupid Clone hover tank thing from the battlefront games? I even forgot to get the spray paint, my fascination with this dumb tank consumed me.

Also I need a Captain Rex mini.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Clone Tank update: As someone who, in the past, has purchased and assembled twenty or so Leman Russ and Chimera 40k kits, this was a nice model. Well designed and detailed. Many parts are built to pivot and rotate if desired and it gives optional helmets for a Phase 1 or Phase 2 clone gunner in the turret hatch.

This has been your dumb Star Wars purchase of the day update.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Palpatine returning rubs me the wrong way because now it feels like he can never die and he'll always be back because he’s the “ultimate bad guy” or whatever, so no matter what the current bad guy is they will always be overshadowed by him.

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Hey did you think Reylo was dumb? Well don't worry cause that kiss was totally non-romantic.

https://screenrant.com/star-wars-confirms-rey-bens-kiss-wasnt-romantic/
    "His heart was full as Rey reached for his face, let her fingers linger against his cheek. And then, wonder of wonders, she leaned forward and kissed him. A kiss of gratitude, acknowledgement of their connection, celebration that they'd found each other at last.

But then she drew back, concern on her face. She could feel him growing cold.

Ben smiled at her.

He had given Rey back to the galaxy. It wouldn't atone for the darkness he'd wrought, but it was what he could do."

I don't even know what to say at this point. Everything about this movie just keeps getting dumber and dumber.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    oh then the movie is good now

Shorty on
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular

We thought that but then the prequels show it's lightning which will fuck you up

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    But, again, what is their job!?!?

Their job is to wage war against people who want self-governance

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2020

I'd have maybe covered thst in the movie, but whatever.

Somebody said they killed off the expanded universe to make a crappier version of the expanded universe full of post-film rewrites and I laughed.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »

Somebody said they killed off the expanded universe to make a crappier version of the expanded universe full of post-film rewrites and I laughed.

I mean

Not crappier but yeah.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »

I mean

Not crappier but yeah.

Parts of the old EU set a very low bar indeed.

I never expected (or wanted) a movie, a numbered movie, to approach that bar, but here we are.

• Options
    i bought silver plastic today to serve as the base for the remainder of my armor pieces and my printer is printing Large Piece 7/8 for the Mando helmet

things are progressing WELL, Star Wars Thread

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    the rise of skywalker is worse than the Legacy comics, which are mostly known for showing one of luke skywalker's descendants doing hella space drugs

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular

Hi this is Star Wars from the 80s, we've heard this one before.

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »
    the rise of skywalker is worse than the Legacy comics, which are mostly known for showing one of luke skywalker's descendants doing hella space drugs

The Legacy comic series is not even CLOSE to the low bar of the EU. That series actually had a BUNCH of really interesting ideas, but sometimes the execution was just lacking. Like, yeah, they demystified the "Skywalker legacy" and showed how one descendant was just a subpar Jedi (Cade's dad) and how Cade himself was a total mess, folding under the pressure of his famous name and traumatic backstory. That's actually a really good idea and much better than the current "The Force is the property of two uber powerful families" TRASH that the current Disney series just vomited out. If you want trash EU, there's always:
    -Death Troopers and its somehow MUCH worse prequel, Red Harvest that tries to introduce zombies into the Star Wars verse in a terrible way, written even worse than the ideas would suggest.
    -The Crystal Star, where a giant... alien quiche from another dimension tries to eat Leia's kids??
    -The end of Karen Traviss' work in both the Clone Wars and Legacy of the Force series, where Traviss informs the readers that the Jedi are all dumb and bad and she's going to kill them all one by one and also Mandalorians are real and her boyfriend and she will be marrying one.
    -Some would say everything KJA wrote but honestly I found it extremely fast paced and entertaining, despite being as dumb as a bag of hammers.
    -The Dark Nest Trilogy where the Jedi face their fiercest foe yet. BUGS. They're... they're just bugs from every sci-fi series that has had bug aliens. It's obnoxious and the timing couldn't be worse after the EXTREME drama of New Jedi Order had just ended. We really needed the downtime trilogy instead of this.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    The OT heroes miss all the time while fighting stormtroopers what are you all talking about. They are constantly running away and taking hurried shots over their shoulders.

The whole running forward and annihilating everything in their path thing is new and stupid.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    The OT heroes miss all the time while fighting stormtroopers what are you all talking about. They are constantly running away and taking hurried shots over their shoulders.

The whole running forward and annihilating everything in their path thing is new and stupid.

It’s like if Han’s crazy charge on the Death Star actually worked, instead of the stormtroopers hitting a dead end* and stopping and regrouping.

* Yes, the original version. Stupid SE.

• Options
    It's just like a brutal massacre, Han Solo butchers a full regiment with a pistol, its like John Wick if John Wick was kind of a graceless doof and his opponents all have buckets on their heads and their guns shoot sideways

• Options
    It's just like a brutal massacre, Han Solo butchers a full regiment with a pistol, its like John Wick if John Wick was kind of a graceless doof and his opponents all have buckets on their heads and their guns shoot sideways

let's be perfectly clear that I agree with you but would also absolutely watch Star Wars John Wick

This discussion has been closed.