As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Lilygilding

2»

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    MarcinMN wrote: »
    dennis wrote: »
    Well, shit. I just got word that they checked the jedi rulebook, and ain't no rule says a dog can't be a jedi.

WHEN WILL THEY LEARN?

Well, we've already established that a cat can be a Jedi, so why not a dog?

tf0h69nnik0p.jpg

Wait, how do we know Boba Fett isn't gay?

The EU version had a wife at one point (so presumably straight or bi), but that was all thrown out. Modern canon Boba could be.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    MarcinMN wrote: »
    Well, shit. I just got word that they checked the jedi rulebook, and ain't no rule says a dog can't be a jedi.

WHEN WILL THEY LEARN?

Well, we've already established that a cat can be a Jedi, so why not a dog?

tf0h69nnik0p.jpg

Wait, how do we know Boba Fett isn't gay?

The EU at least had a wife at one point (so bi at most), but that was all thrown out. Modern canon Boba could be.

But why make one of the biggest losers in the OT gay?

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Eh, I'll agree that going solely by what happens in the OT, Fett never really did much to earn all the hype. But on the other hand, I think the 'let's trash on Boba Fett because of how he died' trend smacks of hipsterism.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Maybe it does. But the only thing going for him in the OT is a sort of cool armor. But he is mostly standing next to Vader, who has cooler armor. He has no great fights, no development. He just isn't a cool character.

edit: It is less trashing him because of how he dies and more I think he is trash and am happy his death is also lame.

Geddoe on
  • Options
    MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Eh, I'll agree that going solely by what happens in the OT, Fett never really did much to earn all the hype. But on the other hand, I think the 'let's trash on Boba Fett because of how he died' trend smacks of hipsterism.

Having recently watched all of the Clone Wars series for the first time, I can say the younger Boba seems fairly competent, but still is far from the perfect bounty hunter. :)

I mean, sure, he ends up locked in a giant chest at one point, but I don't expect him to be good enough to best Ventress at that point in his career. lol

MarcinMN on
    "It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    I was pretty uninterested in the character as a kid, until I started getting into the EU in the 90's. There were some real fun short stories and a fairly good book trilogy about Boba Fett that made me like him. Then the prequels came out, the EU moved onto the New Jedi Order stuff with the extra-galactic alien invasion, and I kinda checked out of Star Wars until Rebels and the new movies (both of which I enjoyed a lot). Mandalorian's pretty great too.

I get not liking him, but it often seems like people go out of their way to talk shit about him as a reaction to how much attention and hype he used to get. Just feels weirdly contrarian to me. Like, people don't really seem to bother to do that with other Star Wars characters. I see more jabs at Fett than I do Jar-Jar and the latter's almost universally reviled.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    You knew Boba Fett was awesome before he ever did anything, before he even spoke. Because Darth Vader, a man defined by cold ruthless brutality, had to tell Fett to tone it down. While none of the other bounty hunter scum got any special notice at all. Boba was exceptional to them and to Darth Vader. And then he outwits and tails Han, one of the best pilot around. And Boba Fett doesn't have special powers like Darth Vader. He doesn't have a vast navy to do his bidding. He's a rogue on his own. He's like a dark version of Han.

Sure he had a dumb pointless death in Return of the Jedi, but that film has other problems. Its treatment of Boba Fett is hardly the only one.

• Options
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    You knew Boba Fett was awesome before he ever did anything, before he even spoke. Because Darth Vader, a man defined by cold ruthless brutality, had to tell Fett to tone it down. While none of the other bounty hunter scum got any special notice at all. Boba was exceptional to them and to Darth Vader. And then he outwits and tails Han, one of the best pilot around. And Boba Fett doesn't have special powers like Darth Vader. He doesn't have a vast navy to do his bidding. He's a rogue on his own. He's like a dark version of Han.

Sure he had a dumb pointless death in Return of the Jedi, but that film has other problems. Its treatment of Boba Fett is hardly the only one.

Eh, disintegration seems like the chump way of winning a fight. Now if Vader had said, "But I want them alive, not as an unrecognizable bloody pulp this time!" then I would respect Boba more. ;)

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    edited March 2020

It feels like what you're talking about is simple contrarianism and/or getting old. I associate "hipsterism" more with "I was into that thing before everyone thought it was cool." This is more "I don't like that thing everyone thinks is cool." It seems like people just say something is "hipsterism" because hipsters are silly geese, so therefore transitively you must be too if you're being hipsterish.

Could be off base, though. "Hipster" is a term that has become somewhat nebulous.

dennis on
  • Options
    edited March 2020

It feels like what you're talking about is simple contrarianism and/or getting old. I associate "hipsterism" more with "I was into that thing before everyone thought it was cool." This is more "I don't like that thing everyone thinks is cool." It seems like people just say something is "hipsterism" because hipsters are silly geese, so therefore transitively you must be too if you're being hipsterish.

Could be off base, though. "Hipster" is a term that has become somewhat nebulous.

No, you have a point. I guess 'indie-kid' would be the appropriate term. I think I tend to conflate the two because in terms of music scenes I feel like there was a lot of overlap.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Wait. Is “no disintegrations” just the “let’s use way too much fancy ‘future’ phrasing because it’s Star Wars” version of “I want him alive”?

• Options
    Enlong wrote: »
    Wait. Is “no disintegrations” just the “let’s use way too much fancy ‘future’ phrasing because it’s Star Wars” version of “I want him alive”?

To be honest, my own personal take on that line was always that George Lucas thought it was time to throw a little of his infamous humor into the scene.

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Enlong wrote: »

Sort of? Blasters don't disintegrate people, that's a whole other class of directed energy weapon in Star Wars called disruptors. So while that may have been the intended implication, 'no disintegrations' by itself could just mean that if you do end up killing a target, the client wants to see the body.

In the old EU disruptors were highly illegal under both the Republic and the Empire, not that it stopped outlaws and bounty hunters from using them, and the Empire never met a weapon they weren't prepared to give their own forces an exemption to use.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I just feel like pointing out that someone born when that strip was drawn would be in high school now.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    tumblr_m3dqhkdd8e1r7mvdfo1_500.jpg

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Drascin wrote: »
    ...why the heck would Wookiees not be able to be Jedi? What, if you're big and hairy you're no longer allowed to have force powers and a sword?

Standard thing in both fantasy and science fiction (so whichever one you want to argue Star Wars is primarily) is that different races have different levels of magical or psionic or other similar potential. It's a less creative standard thing for that potential to be inverse of physical strength. So Wookies can't be Jedi for the same reason Yoda's race usually is.

Hevach on
  • Options
    Hevach wrote: »
    ...why the heck would Wookiees not be able to be Jedi? What, if you're big and hairy you're no longer allowed to have force powers and a sword?

Standard thing in both fantasy and science fiction (so whichever one you want to argue Star Wars is primarily) is that different races have different levels of magical or psionic or other similar potential. It's a less creative standard thing for that potential to be inverse of physical strength. So Wookies can't be Jedi for the same reason Yoda's race usually is.

And if you're a regular "human" then you are probably just average at most everything. :)

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options

Let's just call it what it is: Space Rascism. "Wookies are too savage to be jedi." "Yoda-rians talk funny." "Twi'lek women are always sexy." "Hutts are all criminals."

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    The comic's point is bad and it should feel bad. Saying Wookies "can't" or "shouldn't" be Jedi unavoidably comes off as space racist. Kind of like how the new movies casually fell into treating Chewie like the team dog instead of a sentient person who was a hero of the Rebellion the same as Han, Luke, and Leia. Yes, Wookies are good at murder with their bare hands (or other appendages, ha ha). They also carry the largest, most dangerous guns out of any race we've ever seen because uh... it's very easy to get killed by other people's guns, even if you're very very strong. Carrying a Lightsaber that can cut through anything and block laser blasts seems just smart to do?

I believe the term you're looking for is "speciesist."

Renegade Commander Shepard approves.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Geddoe wrote: »

Let's just call it what it is: Space Rascism. "Wookies are too savage to be jedi." "Yoda-rians talk funny." "Twi'lek women are always sexy." "Hutts are all criminals."

Thanks to Disney+, I recently watched all of the Clone Wars series and I saw more than one scene that reinforced that Twi'lek stereotype. Now, as I rewatch the Rebels series, I have even greater respect for Hera Syndulla because I assume at some point she made the brave decision to follow her dreams of being a pilot rather than being a pole dancer like 99% of all Twi'lek women.

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    I think the old canon was that most Twi'lek never leave their homeworld for cultural reasons, but they can and do sell slaves to aliens. Hence, most Twi'lek off Ryloth (I think that's the right name) didn't have a lot of agency in what they were doing, at least at first.

No excuse anymore, though.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    The comic is not saying that wookies are too "savage" to be Jedi. It's saying it's weird seeing them in clothing since we never see them wearing more than an ammo belt in the movies, and that one having a lightsaber doesn't appreciably change how dangerous they are in melee combat. Hence gilding the lily.

steam_sig.png