As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - A New Metric

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited February 2020 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - A New Metric

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    Anon von ZilchAnon von Zilch Registered User regular
    Wait, are teraflops a real thing? I've heard of them but assumed it was a joke.

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    A Bathing Geralt is much more useful than a teraflop.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular

They are exactly what Jerry describes in the news post. A measure of how many floating point operations a cpu or GPU can perform in a second. It follows the standard SI prefix system so tera- is trillion or 10^12.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    The Series X can render 1000 dongs per second.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    okay I was about to start Witching for the first time but now I'm wondering if I should wait for this revolutionary dong technology

• Options
    ironheadironhead Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    okay I was about to start Witching for the first time but now I'm wondering if I should wait for this revolutionary dong technology

Play it on PC. There's probably a mod that gives Geralt (and others) a giant mutant dong.

• Options
    AmygaAmyga Registered User new member
    ironhead wrote: »
    KalTorak wrote: »

Play it on PC. There's probably a mod that gives Geralt (and others) a giant mutant dong.

And if using Lucascraft's proposed metric of a 1000 dongs/sec, that would mean a 100 million floating points (i.e. 0.1 gigaflops) per dong per seconds, assuming the dong is 10x the rendering volume and no loss in resolutions. This last bit is important because those modders are pretty good. So it's safe to assume that the texture pack probably even improves on this aspect, which may end up requiring more floating points to achieve the same numerical precision... But that shouldn't distract your attention one bit on just handling getting down with that game, instead of waiting.

• Options
    TheSchaefTheSchaef Registered User regular
    Toss a coin...

• Options
    Train DodgerTrain Dodger Registered User regular
    edited February 2020

FLOP = floating point operations per second.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floating-point_arithmetic

Many high-end CPUs and GPUs these days are well into the teraflop range. In other words, they're as powerful as (but not as high-throughput as) a supercomputer cluster from the late 90s.

Train Dodger on
  • Options
    AfterHoursAfterHours Registered User new member
    Thanks for breaking my brain this morning with that last sentence, guys. Just about shot the coffee out of my nose. GGWP

• Options
    Anon von ZilchAnon von Zilch Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »

They are exactly what Jerry describes in the news post. A measure of how many floating point operations a cpu or GPU can perform in a second. It follows the standard SI prefix system so tera- is trillion or 10^12.

Huh. Weird thing is, I actually knew about the concept, just not what it's called in English. "Teraflop" sounded like a joke about man's eternal thirst for specs.

• Options
    BinChickenEnthusiastBinChickenEnthusiast Registered User new member
    "Alchemically enhanced dong that, like the kraken, hungers below the waves" is my new catchphrase. Thanks for the early morning laughing fit :)

• Options
    shadowysea07shadowysea07 Registered User regular
    I thought teraflops were a joke. I never expected that would be the actual name.

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Okay, since my brain just isn't going to remember it after thinking about it for days and totally failed googling: does anyone remember the term for "fake FLOPS"? I feel like it was during linux bootup that it would tell you this number, but it's utterly failing to come to mind exactly what it is I'm remembering. It's not "pseudoflops" but it was something like that.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Are you thinking of the "reticulating splines" fake start-up step from Maxis' old Sim games?

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Are you thinking of the "reticulating splines" fake start-up step from Maxis' old Sim games?

Now, this specifically was of the form ______flops.

I really feel like it was in an old linux startup. Doesn't mean it's true, though...

• Options
    edited March 2020
    dennis wrote: »

I really feel like it was in an old linux startup. Doesn't mean it's true, though...

AAAAHHH, I just figured it out! It was BogoMips!

BogoMips (from "bogus" and MIPS) is a crude measurement of CPU speed made by the Linux kernel when it boots to calibrate an internal busy-loop.[1] An often-quoted definition of the term is "the number of million times per second a processor can do absolutely nothing".
    [...]
    Hence, the kernel measures at boot time how fast a certain kind of busy loop runs on a computer. "Bogo" comes from "bogus", i.e, something which is a fake. Hence, the BogoMips value gives some indication of the processor speed, but it is way too unscientific to be called anything but BogoMips.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BogoMips

Few sweeter feelings than when that info nugget finally works its way loose in your brain. Amazing how often you can "know that you know" something, while at he same time being totally unable to recall the something.

dennis on
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular

BogoMips (from "bogus" and MIPS) is a crude measurement of CPU speed made by the Linux kernel when it boots to calibrate an internal busy-loop.[1] An often-quoted definition of the term is "the number of million times per second a processor can do absolutely nothing".
    [...]
    Hence, the kernel measures at boot time how fast a certain kind of busy loop runs on a computer. "Bogo" comes from "bogus", i.e, something which is a fake. Hence, the BogoMips value gives some indication of the processor speed, but it is way too unscientific to be called anything but BogoMips.

Few sweeter feelings than when that info nugget finally works its way loose in your brain. Amazing how often you can "know that you know" something, while at he same time being totally unable to recall the something.

I'm sad it didn't turn out to be fauxps (pronounced foe-ps).

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    I thought teraflops were a joke. I never expected that would be the actual name.

To be fair we had to beat on the abbreviation for a while to get flops out of FLoating point Operations Per Second. Somebody really wanted a cute little word to for in with bits and bytes and nibbles and bops.

• Options
    Hevach wrote: »

To be fair we had to beat on the abbreviation for a while to get flops out of FLoating point Operations Per Second. Somebody really wanted a cute little word to for in with bits and bytes and nibbles and bops.

I don't know, I think it would be pretty cute to measure how many fops your CPU could produce.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    When the term flops was defined, there was an attempt to get fops (Fixed point Operations Per Second) and bops (Boolean Operations Per Second) to catch on as well. Those are both basically a function of CPU hertz where floating point math is a more complex problem, so they were useless terms and went the way of the nibble.

I haven't even seen either term used in a post-1990 book except for the old COBOL textbook nobody will steal from the free box at my annual garage sale.

Hevach on
  • Options
    I haven't even seen either term used in a post-1990 book except for the old COBOL textbook nobody will steal from the free box at my annual garage sale.

Maybe glue a dollar bill to the front?

• Options

It's kind of useful because it's big and colorful and draws attention to the pile of old screwdrivers and USB cables that people actually take by the handful.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

It's kind of useful because it's big and colorful and draws attention to the pile of old screwdrivers and USB cables that people actually take by the handful.

Glue all the cables to it. Sure it's a loss leader, but you wouldn't believe the attach rate.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

[...]

This reminds me of Bogons, a particle emitted by people in suits that cause computers to stop working.

Or at least that's what I thought, but now it's a networking term for bogus packets.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bogon_filtering

steam_sig.png