As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Removed.

CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
edited September 2023 in Help / Advice Forum
Removed.

Caedwyr on

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    I'm assuming since you are looking for paper in 2020, you are not looking for simple directions (i.e. GPS) but rather since sort of cool things to see and do + advice book?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    Something like this: https://en.aventurenordique.com/gt-road-atlas-finland.html ?

I would assume you can get one in any large bookstore, and possibly some gas stations, or at least they will be able to point you in the right direction. Price will probably be the same as indicated on that site.

• Options
    edited September 2023
    Removed.

Caedwyr on
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Removed.

Caedwyr on
  • Options
    SiskaSiska Shorty Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Not sure about Finland but Sweden is decently google mapped. At least in densely populated areas. My favorite pizza place, 20 years ago. When I lived there.

My guess is that Finland should be pretty well covered, as well.

Siska on
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    In the UK, rural areas have cell service dead zones. I assume that Finland would as well since it has some very remote areas. Good to have a paper atlas.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Finland actually has almost no cellular dead zones. I know this because a Finish remote sensor station company tried to break into the Canadian market and was surprised that anyone would use satellite modem connections for remote locations.

The paper atlas is more for the tourist part of the trip. It is something tactile to connect to the memories and photos (enhanced by use), goes well on the bookshelf, and is a great prop when talking about the trip with others afterwards in a way that digital doesn't quite work.

Caedwyr on
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    In the UK, rural areas have cell service dead zones. I assume that Finland would as well since it has some very remote areas. Good to have a paper atlas.

That's what downloaded maps on your phone are for.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Historically I’ve had a lot of success finding cheap road atlases in second hand bookstores. It requires you to be in the country, though, so hard to prepare for in advance.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    If you're just looking for a roadatlas and nothing else I'd recommend buying Michelins fold-out atlases.
    They have one for Finland+Scandinavia (map 711) or you can buy separate ones for Sweden(Map 753) and Finland(map 754) at a slightly higher resolution.

I've included the map numbers, because that's the easiest way to search for them if you want to buy them from somewhere else.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    For a simple fold out map, can't go wrong with the michelin maps or guide. Saw us through many a holiday. Would very much trigger the nostalgic response in me, at least. Well updated and pretty cheap - although the simplest way to get a road atlas would probably be in a tourist-souvenir shop or gas station in finland, if probably pricier.

4uvn3am.png
    https://travel.michelin.co.uk/?subcats=Y&pcode_from_q=Y&pshort=Y&pfull=Y&pname=Y&pkeywords=Y&search_performed=Y&q=finland&dispatch=products.search&security_hash=9ce174d9d56455a6802957f9a270e274

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Caedwyr, are you in Canada? I've had surprising luck finding fold out maps at CAA locations.