As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Elder Scrolls Online] It's the 2nd Era, so is this Oblivion 2, or Oblivion -1?

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Kamar wrote: »
    You know...I feel like I'd enjoy a DK tank quite a bit, if I didn't aggressively dislike the aesthetic of the armor skill.

Which is sort of a consistent problem I have across a few different classes, now that I think about it.

I realize they want easy to process visual information for PvP reasons, but like...give me skins or toggles for PvE, guys.

Do you mean the spiked armor / magma armor type skills?

Pixie - I've never leveled up a Sorc (mine is 12), but my Necro is a stamina/dual-wield and it's a good time. First time I've ever done a stam build. I mostly enjoy the side perk of being able to sprint for sooooo long =p.
    Sorc is what I THINK I will level of next, but I want to do a heal sorc, which seems a ridiculous idea since I don't think they have any heal skills.

...or maybe my Warden...

vamen on
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Yeah, I have a dual-wield stam necro... a dual-wield stam warden... a dual-wield stam DK... a dual-wield stam NB...

There's a pattern here, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    vamen wrote: »
    Kamar wrote: »
    You know...I feel like I'd enjoy a DK tank quite a bit, if I didn't aggressively dislike the aesthetic of the armor skill.

Which is sort of a consistent problem I have across a few different classes, now that I think about it.

I realize they want easy to process visual information for PvP reasons, but like...give me skins or toggles for PvE, guys.

Do you mean the spiked armor / magma armor type skills?

Yeah, that.

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    I'd like to be able to customize a lot of our skills. I feel like to this day only Champions Online and CoH really did that (to my knowledge).
    Even just let me tweak the colors a little, SOME thing.

Pixie - is the pattern that you make a lot of alts?

vamen on
  • Options
    Yeah, I have a dual-wield stam necro... a dual-wield stam warden... a dual-wield stam DK... a dual-wield stam NB...

There's a pattern here, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

DW always feels worse to me than 2H for stamina. Or even S&B.

Though I pretty much always play Magicka, and thus stave now that DW magicka is dead, because in the back of my head I know that if I ever do run group content I'll want to be a healer like I am in every game.

• Options
    2H is a lot of fun, but the attacks feel sluggish. S&B I can never get far with. It just takes too long to kill things.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I have a 2H Warden that I never really got off the ground. Not sure if it's the Warden part or the 2H part.

Necro require Elswyier correct?

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I have a 2H Warden that I never really got off the ground. Not sure if it's the Warden part or the 2H part.

Necro require Elswyier correct?

Yes, it's part of Elsweyr for now. I assume eventually it'll be available on its own.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I gave VMA a shot as a non-sorc character and managed to get in the top 10 of the dragonknight weekly leaderboard!
    EPKeRZgh.png

405 points. I'm both proud and deeply ashamed.

• Options
    So I'm leveling my stam Sorc right now, having a good time. I'm still trying to figure out the overall structure of the game a bit. I just did the main line Morrowind story but skipped a lot of the side quests. Is it viable to level by doing just the mainline stories of the different zones? Or should I be finishing off side quests? XP doesn't seem to be coming terribly fast at level 27, but also not unbearably slow?

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    So I'm leveling my stam Sorc right now, having a good time. I'm still trying to figure out the overall structure of the game a bit. I just did the main line Morrowind story but skipped a lot of the side quests. Is it viable to level by doing just the mainline stories of the different zones? Or should I be finishing off side quests? XP doesn't seem to be coming terribly fast at level 27, but also not unbearably slow?

The way the game is structured you can basically do it however you want. There's still reasons to get experience after max level, but yeah, you can pretty easily get to 50 without touching much of the side stuff. The game is basically "do whatever you want in any order you want really" so if you want to be a completionist later there's nothing stopping you from coming back and doing the side quests, really. I will note that mainline quests do give more XP than side quests do, generally.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Yeah, I pretty much figured this out through play at this point. I'm level 42 now, making my way to 50. I did do most of the Summerset content, side and main, and now I'm on to Elswyr.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    Got level 50 yesterday. Up to CP 25 or so. Trying to decide if I get some gear crafted for me now or wait until I'm CP 160 before I worry about gear too much.

I'm still not a huge fan of how you appear to get less powerful as you level or gain CP. I know it's just the way the scaling works, but it really does make you feel like leveling up backslides your power level instead of increases it.

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Apparently ESO's joining in on the "hey, want something to do? Come play our game!" club due to fucking COVID-19.

Starting Wednesday, the 1st, and continuing for two weeks (until the 13th), all content will be unlocked for all players. This includes expansions, but it didn't say if you would get anything else, like free crates or crafting bag or whatever.

Sounds like a great time to jump back in or check things out!

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    Apparently ESO's joining in on the "hey, want something to do? Come play our game!" club due to fucking COVID-19.

Starting Wednesday, the 1st, and continuing for two weeks (until the 13th), all content will be unlocked for all players. This includes expansions, but it didn't say if you would get anything else, like free crates or crafting bag or whatever.

Newly created accounts also get 500 funpoints. I don't think returning accounts do.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    ok i started playing this game quick what do I need to know

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    JaysonFour wrote: »

... GUESS IM REINSTALLING

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    Which in turn means HEY!!! Did you want in on the guilds? Apil 1 --- 13 would be the time to pester me about it.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I guess I didn't realize there was an ESO thread about.
    I don't think I can play with anyone, because on the XBox version. :(
    I've been playing since they had a free premium week back in November, I want to say. Been running through all the things all over the place, having fun.

Is anyone else on the Xbox, or is everyone here pretty much just on PC?

• Options
    ESO points are on sale.

I might have just dropped $90 on a pack of 21,000 points... >.>

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    T4CT wrote: »
    Get a mount and upgrade it every day.

Join the Mages Guild and Fighters Guild to get those skill lines and access to the Pursuade and Intimidate options in conversations.

If you have access to the (edit) Dark Brotherhood DLC, do the first quest to unlock the Blade of Woe, useful for stealth killing NPCs.

If you own a "chapter" DLC, the game will start you off in a DLC zone instead of the main zone. I recommend instead starting the main quest (Soul Shriven in Coldharbour) which will eventually take you to the "starting island" for your faction. After that's done, go explore the world as you see fit.

Arteen on
  • Options
    Arteen wrote: »
    T4CT wrote: »
    Get a mount and upgrade it every day.

Join the Mages Guild and Fighters Guild to get those skill lines and access to the Pursuade and Intimidate options in conversations.

If you have access to the Thieves Guild DLC, do the first quest to unlock the Blade of Woe, useful for stealth killing NPCs.

If you own a "chapter" DLC, the game will start you off in a DLC zone instead of the main zone. I recommend instead starting the main quest (Soul Shriven in Coldharbour) which will eventually take you to the "starting island" for your faction. After that's done, go explore the world as you see fit.

You mean Dark Brotherhood DLC :)

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    So I recently picked this up after eyeing it for a while and it’s a lot more fun than I was expecting? It definitely does things in a very different way from anything out there, it feels like they bolted an MMO onto Skyrim and it works way better than it should.

That said, a lot of the systems are super unintuitive? And any guide I’ve looked at really seems focused on the end game play and not helping people learn basic mechanics. Like I picked a nightblade because I generally like stealthy classes. I started dual wielding daggers because it seemed like that’s what the abilities were tailored to (at least thematically?). I was putting points in magicka because my abilities all seemed to use magicka, and then wearing medium armor because it seemed appropriate. But then guides said as a magicka nightblade I should actually be using wands and light armor instead, and that magicka abilities actually scale with spell damage and not weapon damage. But then my spell damage is higher with my daggers equipped than with a wand equipped?

I’m just super confused and not sure how best to start understanding what the deal is.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    So the first major and unintuitive thing you're bumping up against is how the primary stats work. Your damage with a particular kind of ability is directly based on your maximum value in that stat. So by dumping all your points in magicka you are bumping up your mana pool, but also adding no damage to the style of abilities you want to use. It sounds like you want to build a Stamina Nightblade. Here's a guide to get you started: https://dottzgaming.com/build/eso-nightblade-leveling-build/#stamina

Along those lines for a lot of classes you will get morphs that change the resource/damage type of an ability. My main is a Stamina Sorcerer that uses DW/bow and a lot of my morphs are changing my abilities from being Magicka based to Stamina based. I still use Magicka abilities, especially for things like sustain and buffing, but almost all my DPS comes from stamina abilities (which the weapon abilities for DW and bow are).

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    I misread. ESO+ is NOT on trial :(

• Options
    So I recently picked this up after eyeing it for a while and it’s a lot more fun than I was expecting? It definitely does things in a very different way from anything out there, it feels like they bolted an MMO onto Skyrim and it works way better than it should.

That said, a lot of the systems are super unintuitive? And any guide I’ve looked at really seems focused on the end game play and not helping people learn basic mechanics. Like I picked a nightblade because I generally like stealthy classes. I started dual wielding daggers because it seemed like that’s what the abilities were tailored to (at least thematically?). I was putting points in magicka because my abilities all seemed to use magicka, and then wearing medium armor because it seemed appropriate. But then guides said as a magicka nightblade I should actually be using wands and light armor instead, and that magicka abilities actually scale with spell damage and not weapon damage. But then my spell damage is higher with my daggers equipped than with a wand equipped?

I’m just super confused and not sure how best to start understanding what the deal is.

When you level up, and you're looking at skills, there should be a thing at the top that says "Skills Advisor".
    If you select that, you can review different suggestions. By default it must have chosen a magicka stealth build. There is pretty much one choice of each role (damage, healing and tanking) and I think it lets you choose between Stamina or Magicka as your primary resource stat. That way, when you level up, the skills advisor will help you choose its recommended one. Or you can even just turn it off, if you so choose (it took me waaaay too long to figure that out).

GnomeTank's link is also pretty good.

• Options
    So I have this Delve that's become my nemesis. I swear to god I've covered every inch of this place, and I can't complete it. To be fair, I went through there 3 times before I realized there was a quest outside I'd never picked up. 4th time through, finally have the quest, awesome! Right before I finish my dungeon queue pops. Get in there a 5th time, clear it, complete the quest, thank god.

It's still showing as incomplete on my map.

!@#$#@$%$#@$%@#$

• Options
    You have to kill the boss for the delve to be considered clear. Make sure you're killing them.
    Which delve in which zone is it?

• Options
    Sometimes the named monster will be dead when you pass though, but they respawn quick. Generally they are going to be in predictable places in the delve.

• Options
    The UESP website has a map of each delve. It will show you the location of the boss, skyshard, and any related quest.
    http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Delves

• Options
    I really wish the beast races didn't have serious Dark Helmet vibes with a lot of (mostly older) headgear.

I also wish that I weren't 99% sure the necromancer scythe morphs are outclassed by something else on any and all builds, but hey it has a self-heal so I can pretend it isn't and use it for questing and soloing stuff.

• Options
    Sometimes the named monster will be dead when you pass though, but they respawn quick. Generally they are going to be in predictable places in the delve.

Yeah it turns out that it was just dead every time I went through. I got it finally. It’s weird that delves seem to be set aside as “single player content” but aren’t instanced? Not sure how I feel about that. On a similar note, how does loot in containers work? Is it player specific, shared, or first come first serve with a respawn?

It’s a super interesting decision to make everything max level and just scale the player to content; nothing is ever “dead content,” and you could level multiple characters in different areas and not repeat content for a very long time. Kind of loving that.

• Options

Yeah it turns out that it was just dead every time I went through. I got it finally. It’s weird that delves seem to be set aside as “single player content” but aren’t instanced? Not sure how I feel about that. On a similar note, how does loot in containers work? Is it player specific, shared, or first come first serve with a respawn?

It’s a super interesting decision to make everything max level and just scale the player to content; nothing is ever “dead content,” and you could level multiple characters in different areas and not repeat content for a very long time. Kind of loving that.

Almost all of it is first come, first served, with respawn. Exceptions are rewards for group events that will spawn one chest with instanced loot for everyone.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    I see a lot of tips to have a single character dedicated to crafting; if I'm not planning to super hardcore min/max or anything, is it a huge issue if my character puts points in 1-2 crafting skills? Or will that crush me in the endgame?

• Options
    Just again as an FYI: the "all content for all players" crap is a lie. I can't access DLC dungeons or zones :\

• Options
    I see a lot of tips to have a single character dedicated to crafting; if I'm not planning to super hardcore min/max or anything, is it a huge issue if my character puts points in 1-2 crafting skills? Or will that crush me in the endgame?

you'll honestly have enough points to fill out ALL The crafting skills. My current main has a full DPS setup (as a dragonknight magicka DPS) *and* everything but Jewelcrafting, the latter ONLY bc it released late so it's taking me longer to level it.

• Options
    You should have plenty of SP to max crafting on your main character. There are nearly 400 available in the game, with 135 being sky shards. Here's a reasonably recent break down of the SP available in the game: https://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/8ao7zz/does_anybody_know_the_max_number_of_possible/

My personal plan is to max crafting on my stam sorc, and sort of use him as my "hub" character. He's going to have a relatively SP light, very PvE/solo focused build, with maxed crafting. I'll use him to do a lot of general/solo content, and then use him to craft gear for more specialized characters I create who will have no points in crafting. That way they can have more flexibility to have multiple skill and gear builds and hone in on whatever I want that character to be focused on (PvP, dungeons, etc).

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Trying to get the hang of this game again, this time with a controller.

Anyone know how the hell to sheathe your weapon? All google results mention holding left on the D-Pad but it does nothing for me aside from weapon swapping.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    If you press it, you just switch weapons.
    If you hold it for a second or so, you'll sheath it. That's just what I use on the Xbox.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Giving this a whirl and it seems to be running a lot worse than I'd expect for the horsepower I've got (2080 Super/Ryzen 3900X). Did not expect a 6 year old MMO to be the one I might have to drop the resolution on :bigfrown: