As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - Lobsterian

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited March 2020 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Lobsterian

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• OctoberRavenOctoberRaven Plays fighting games for the story Skyeline Hotel Apartment 4ARegistered User regular
    Gabe: I AM GOD HERE!

Currently Most Hype For: VTMB2, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Alan Wake 2 (Wake Harder)Currently Playin: Guilty Gear XX AC+R, Gat Out Of Hell
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Gabe: I DO NOT CONTROL MY WORDS!

Enlong on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Man that lobster po'boy or whatever that middle thing is supposed to be is terrifying. It's very Lovecraftian.

Lucascraft on
  • LazyDogJumperLazyDogJumper Registered User regular
    Talking about a topic Tycho talks about in his post: writers block is an interesting thing that happens to most people. Like he says, Carpenters don't get "table block" or something where they can't think of how a table goes. However, its not hard to imagine a person who carves special parts for furniture may have a time where they can't come up with a good design. In the same vein, while i'm sure it's difficult to make a make strip I am fairly sure if you asked Gabe to "draw a strip" or ask Tycho to "write a comic" and emphasized that there was no other pre-requisite than functionally working as a "comic strip" they could rattle something off the same way a carpenter can build a table without having to remember HOW or spending significant time thinking it over (besides the obvious "over-thinking" which is a possibility).

• lrigknatlrigknat Registered User new member
    This's inspired. Please have more panels where:

- Gabe stands up to tycho
    - Clam chowder eats people

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Is this the first time they've built the 3rd panel around the con fairy instead of squeezing them into whatever space is available?

steam_sig.png
  • IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Anyone else bothered by the "I draw that for charity" line? In context of the comic it really seems like "I drew that for charity" would make more sense.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
    Panel 2 comes before panel 3 so the fairy hasn't been drawn yet. That's just science.

steam_sig.png
  • bsctgodbsctgod Registered User regular
    I don't know, if Tycho could get that Lobster Roll alone, I think he could have a chance.

• zeromhzeromh Registered User regular
    @lazydogjumper: I agree with you. I don't think Jerry is comparing apples and oranges here.

The crux of the difference (I think) is that humans have access to the mental levers we need to pull to measure wood to a certain length and assemble it into a certain shape. We *don't* have access to the mental levers we need to pull to "come up with a good idea." We can't control that the way we control our appendages.

Because we can't control ideas, artists typically have a process/drill/ritual they go through - such as going for a walk - that probabilistically encourages good ideas to happen. Mike and Jerry (it seems) have their process of riffing jokes with each other until a comic can be made from their jokes. They have little-to-no access to the algorithm in their heads that generates these ideas; they only know that their process works. Likewise, a carpenter can just "build a table," but a carpenter can't just "come up with good ideas for a table."

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Fyi, this strip garnered just over $25,000 in donations for Child’s Play during the 90-minute Make-a-Strip panel! A staggering sum, quite literally, as Jerry was visibly blown back upon hearing the final total.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Sterica wrote: »
    Fyi, this strip garnered just over $25,000 in donations for Child’s Play during the 90-minute Make-a-Strip panel! A staggering sum, quite literally, as Jerry was visibly blown back upon hearing the final total.

I didn't notice the counter tick up, so when everyone started applauding I legit thought it was for the Tron name drop.

Oh brilliant

How did his shock compare to finding out his fly had been down for half the South panel?

steam_sig.png
  • dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    edited March 2020

How did his shock compare to finding out his fly had been down for half the South panel?

In both cases, it was a revelation.

dennis on
  • Anon von ZilchAnon von Zilch Registered User regular
    Incindium wrote: »
    Anyone else bothered by the "I draw that for charity" line? In context of the comic it really seems like "I drew that for charity" would make more sense.

They're still in panel two, he hasn't drawn it yet.

I was going to say it's present continuous tense, but that appears the follow a pattern: be verb + present participle
    Which this doesn't.

But it's some grammar thing like that.

steam_sig.png
  • RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular

I was going to say it's present continuous tense, but that appears the follow a pattern: be verb + present participle
    Which this doesn't.

The tense would be present simple: "I do". He's not talking about drawing this panel specifically: he's talking about drawing the fairies in general. "This is something I draw for charity". So while the tense is technically present simple, the action implied is progressive: "I continually (or regularly, or periodically) draw that for charity".

Which this doesn't.

The tense would be present simple: "I do". He's not talking about drawing this panel specifically: he's talking about drawing the fairies in general. "This is something I draw for charity". So while the tense is technically present simple, the action implied is progressive: "I continually (or regularly, or periodically) draw that for charity".

Thank you for remembering how words work for me. English classes were longer ago than I like to think about, so I never remember how to explain why anything is the way it is other than "it feels correct to me. "

steam_sig.png