As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I was supposed to leave my [job] at noon

QuidQuid Definitely not a bananaRegistered User regular
And I did. To go to do work at another job. I have too many jobs.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    It's 20 minutes till lunch break. Productivity is dropping every minute.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited March 2020
    I'm on vacation, losers, sitting in an airport on my way to California answering emails and triaging support for a project I manage

Tube on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I don't wanna be at work today. Surprising, I know.

On the plus side, I did ask for and get Thursday off.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Tube you are bad at vacation

• Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I'm on vacation, losers, sitting in an airport on my way to California answering emails and triaging support for a project I manage

I awesome'd this but then read it again and was like wait no that's the opposite of awesome!

• Options
    I just replied to an email with "sorry for the delay, I'm on vacation" and then checked the timestamp and I had responded within 3 minutes.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    You are working during your vacation in the one place more miserable then the DMV during the Corona virus outbreak.

May the rest of your vacation be better.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    So is it like, the reverse hedgehog's dilemma? You want to get away but the emails and work demands keep needling their way towards you? And the only escape is the sweet embrace of a rogue-ai controlled giant mecha that ends the world?

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Started my week by hotfixing a bug introduced in last night's release. Feels good :cool:

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I get back to work from vacation on Wednesday and I'm dreading going into a coronavirus panic hellscape. The college my girlfriend just started working at is closed down because their nursing students were interning at the assisted living facility where the current outbreak is.

In the meantime this is my last night here so we're gonna grill out tonight.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    We're looking for a new hire to be Business Support, which is great. We've included HR in this, which is... fine, the person assigned to help has really spiffed up the ad graphically. English skills are fairly important for the job, so important that it's been decided to do the listing entirely in English. This is problematic because the HR person doesn't really speak it, but still converted it from Danish to English. Or at least was responsible for running it through Google Translate.

Which is how I ended up in a conversation today that went "Hey David, you're probably the best person in the office when it comes to communicating in English, would you mind--" "Tweaking this listing a little?" "--rewriting it from scratch?". And it ended up being sent back to HR practically sight unseen.

I really hope we end up getting someone good, not just because we need someone but also because I feel slightly responsible now.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Shit I don't even respond for 3-4 days even when I'm in the office.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

Weird flex, but ok

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    bowen wrote: »

My rule of thumb is thus:

Email comes in Monday - Wednesday: "Sorry for the delayed response, still catching up from the weekend"
    Email comes in Thursday - Friday: "Sorry for the delayed response, didn't get to this before the weekend."
    Email comes in Saturday - Sunday: "What email?"

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    But for real, last week I was auditing the email records for our office and found out I had sent more email than anyone else here over the last 5 years. I did the math and it came out to 51 emails per day over 5 years. Roughly double the next closest person in the office.

Then I realized I didn't account for being off weekends, which adjusted the per-day email average up to almost 72 per working day.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    I'm applying for a job that would be 1/3rd of the work I do now, pays about 5-8k more, and is run by people who have talked about poaching me before.

I feel conflicted. But It's on hard money and I'm sick of sitting on quicksand.

• Options
    They just sent an email out asking about people's capabilities to work from home in case we have to shut the office down due to the coronavirus.

I... probably could, but I wonder if they'd be able to give me a firm laptop to work from because I don't have a lot of the stuff we'd use.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    They just sent an email out asking about people's capabilities to work from home in case we have to shut the office down due to the coronavirus.

I... probably could, but I wonder if they'd be able to give me a firm laptop to work from because I don't have a lot of the stuff we'd use.

That should be a no-brainer on their part. No company wants its sensitive data exposed to a filthy personal computer :razz:

• Options
    Calica wrote: »

That should be a no-brainer on their part. No company wants its sensitive data exposed to a filthy personal computer :razz:

Yeah, true enough! My only concern is access to a printer, since I don't have one at home, and I easily have the longest commute of anyone here so just being able to take one home is... unlikely.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Could you print to the office and do whatever needs doing with the printouts when you do go in?

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    I'm applying for a job that would be 1/3rd of the work I do now, pays about 5-8k more, and is run by people who have talked about poaching me before.

Just on that last fact alone Enc, I'd say go for it. The fact that you'd potentially have a less stressful and, more importantly, stable working environment is worth it just from that alone. The difference I feel in my work now from my previous job is night and day, and a whole lot less of Acid Reflux.

• Options
    Hm, possibly, I guess that would really depend on how soon it'd need to go out.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Two nopes and a posting cancelled, so I'm 0/3 on jobs with a complete process with 5 still outstanding right now. Still applying to about two a week though.

• Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular

You're not on vacation then.

oh h*ck
  • Options
    Back from lunch I should be motivated till about 4:30 or so.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Just on that last fact alone Enc, I'd say go for it. The fact that you'd potentially have a less stressful and, more importantly, stable working environment is worth it just from that alone. The difference I feel in my work now from my previous job is night and day, and a whole lot less of Acid Reflux.

I'd need to get my current boss's blessing... today. Which means broaching the topic today.

Which is not great. If I don't, I'm not going to have solid references.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I can only imagine what will happen at my work if we get hit with corona. There are so many shared surfaces we are forced to touch. Many (hundreds, thousands) of people in/out every day. People who work in offices could maybe work from home, I don't really know. But essential plant personnel must work in the plant. If a sizable portion of essential personnel get corona I'm not sure how my company will deal. It is feasible we wouldn't be able to maintain the minimum complement of essential staff. Safety wise I think it would be fine, we could go into basically "quiet mode", possibly shut down a reactor if we didn't have enough staff to run them all.

One thing I do know is any essential staff who can stay healthy might make fuckloads of OT money

• Options

I'd need to get my current boss's blessing... today. Which means broaching the topic today.

Which is not great. If I don't, I'm not going to have solid references.

Sending all the good moo juju and :bro: your way.

• Options
    Thankfully our support staff and I should be able to easily work from home as we're all on laptops and VOIP, but I can't see how some of our product and critical gov dev groups would be able to work from home without some rapid VPN jiggering. And I can't see that happening at government response time. Everyone's watching new case developments like a hawk since Washington now reported the first official Corona deaths in the US now. :( (and we're up to 6 confirmed deaths on top of it too)

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

Southern or Northern?

• Options
    Looks like they'd set us up with a VPN into our work computers?

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

For printing could you possibly just print to PDF them while at home?

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I had a two day event on the weekend, asked to come in late monday. Fine. Went great.

Tuesday comes around, i have not reset my alarms and I'm late for work. Whoooops. It's not too big a hassle, but its annoying for past me to betray me like that.

• Options

For printing could you possibly just print to PDF them while at home?

Totally! Some counties still require you to mail in an actual physical document for their filing system, though. But I think stuff like that could probably wait until we got back to work?

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    I want to have as much fun at work as these advertisers clearly did:

https://youtu.be/LUg9zGZxFv4

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Once again fuck the person who left a leaky red ink cartridge in first aid kit.

This was a decade sgo but the last thread made me angry.

There was a friendly dog there, so its good

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

Why would you be conflicted about this?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Doodmann wrote: »

Why would you be conflicted about this?

Many reasons I don't want on the internet, but the short version is the new boss would be one of the people I've talked about in previous examples.

• Options
    Madican wrote: »

Southern or Northern?

Southern, I’m taking a vacation, not visiting someone in prison.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

Southern or Northern?

Southern, I’m taking a vacation, not visiting someone in prison.

If you're in the Los Angeles area enjoy the weather. It can't seem to make up its mind whether it's summer or winter. Well, "winter".

This discussion has been closed.