As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board Games] Cardboard Action at a Distance

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    The one house rule we have with betrayal is we ignore the first three haunt rolls. Lets tge mansion get fleshed out a bit.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »
    Our shared group memories are more along the lines of "Remember the last 3 games where the traitor missed one rule, couldn't ask others any questions, and it turns out it broke the scenario and rendered the whole thing a waste of time? Let's never play that again."

Yeah we played one game that lasted more than an hour and left someone without a decision post-haunt. We've never considered playing again really. Very poor fit for our group.

Yeah or another time when some witch turned someone into a toad who could only hop one space each turn. He failed two once per turn rolls to change back, then just checked out and went over to lie on the couch and play with his phone, telling us to just move and roll for him each turn. Couldn't blame him at all.

I understand the niche the game is meant to fill, but Mansions of Madness fills it just fine and is a MUCH better game. It technically has a lot fewer scenarios, but what's better: half a dozen decent scenarios, or 40 scenarios where you have to hope you randomly hit one of the half dozen that aren't crap, imbalanced, or poorly written?

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    JonBob wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    We played In The Hall Of The Mountain King last night. It's a real good game! A hell of a brain burner. Pity the production is kinds crappy.

I haven't seen a finished copy, but the prototype I played was already pretty nice and the publisher has a good track record. What are the issues in the production version?

Lots of character pieces are the same color (white and blue are both pale green), some of the printing tables for scoring have black numbers on dark grey background, the statues don't stand up well or fit in the pedestals and most copies are missing 1 or 2 cards.

Madpoet wrote: »
    Man you all suck at Betrayal! :P

But seriously, that game is a blast. I've never had a bad instance of it. Some are certainly better than others but they've all been fun. It's easily one of my top 10 games.
    Betrayal is like Munchkin in that it's a terrible game that I have no trouble getting to the table because the experience is great even if the actual game is rubbish.

I think I can safely say Betrayal is not at all like Munchkin. Betrayal is quite a bit better than Munchkin.

God Munchkin is awful.

• FryFry Registered User regular
    edited March 2020

But seriously, that game is a blast. I've never had a bad instance of it. Some are certainly better than others but they've all been fun. It's easily one of my top 10 games.
    Betrayal is like Munchkin in that it's a terrible game that I have no trouble getting to the table because the experience is great even if the actual game is rubbish.
    Betrayal is like Munchkin in that it's a terrible game that is terrible because the experience is terrible because the actual game is rubbish.

Fixed that for you

edit: the one virtue I will grant to Betrayal is that it ends in a timely fashion, which is more than I can say for Munchkin

Fry on
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Mint Control just went live on KS and is only $10.

https://youtu.be/8HnTJv-OoFs

Looks like an easy way to introduce people to area control games.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Mint Works was decent. We didn't particularly care for Mint Delivery. This one looks even less appealing. Thanks for pointing it out though.

NNID = Zepp914
  • A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular

I think I can safely say Betrayal is not at all like Munchkin. Betrayal is quite a bit better than Munchkin.

God Munchkin is awful.

I think Betrayal is a flawed but often fun experience. All my Munchkin experiences have been a miserable slug that took way too long until it staggers to an end to most’s relief.

• HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    The one house rule we have with betrayal is we ignore the first three haunt rolls. Lets tge mansion get fleshed out a bit.

That's effectively the haunt rule as it is in Betrayal: Legacy and in Betrayal at Baldur's Gate. (I think the actual rule in those games is you roll dice equal to the number of omens revealed, and you start the haunt when you roll at least a 5. So it's impossible to get a haunt until the third omen is revealed, and the expected value is that the haunt happens after the 5th omen.)

• DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    I was recently in St. Louis, and their science center had a whole section on games. One game on display was from a local company. It was Champions of Midgard. I've been mulling that one recently, so now I'm even more tempted. :3

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Speaking of kickstarter, good lord the Dark Tower remake raised four million dollars

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/restorationgames/return-to-dark-tower

MrBody on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I got to pick up Life Siphon this weekend at PAX East, as well as talk to the artist and one of the creators for the game.

There's something special about playing the game, having a rules dispute, and realizing you can just ask the people who made the game.

YL9WnCY.png
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Sterica wrote: »
    I got to pick up Life Siphon this weekend at PAX East, as well as talk to the artist and one of the creators for the game.

There's something special about playing the game, having a rules dispute, and realizing you can just ask the people who made the game.

For all of its numerous faults, this is occasionally also one of BGG's most useful features.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

I meant to post about this. Oops.

I backed it, mostly because I have the rest of them and I like games I can easily pocket and play. Rachael was at PAXU and showed me the prototype and it seemed neat. I don't know that any other game I have it very similar.

Though my kids lost the bits for mint delivery, so I may need to order a new copy.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    Speaking of heavy, I tried Maracaibo tonight. 4p new players took us 4.5 hours. It was exhausting, but I enjoyed it. Probably not a play all the time kind of game. It's by the same guy as Great Western Trail and uses a similar kind of rondel, but replaces the deck building with a giant deck of multiuse cards and tableau building and some majority scoring stuff. It's neat if you're in the market for a beastly euro game.

I got to play this recently as well. Its fun, but a lot more complex then Great Western Trail which I am in freaking love with lately. Borrowed it from a friend two weeks ago and played it ten times in two weeks. Lots of 2 player games with the wife. Now I had to give it back and my life is bereft of cows. And of course its between prints because why would I like a game that is available. I would pretty much always be up for a game of it.

Maracaibo has the stock track from Mombasa, but the cards aren't as interesting as picking up a stack. The books are so hard to teach in that game. I think Alexander Pfister might be one of my favorite designers.
    Dashui wrote: »
    I was recently in St. Louis, and their science center had a whole section on games. One game on display was from a local company. It was Champions of Midgard. I've been mulling that one recently, so now I'm even more tempted. :3

Champions is fun. Its easy to teach, with a little bit of randomness, a lot like Lords of Waterdeep if you are familiar with that game.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    Dashui wrote: »

Champions is fun. Its easy to teach, with a little bit of randomness, a lot like Lords of Waterdeep if you are familiar with that game.

Champions of Midgard is legit, and worth a try.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Speaking of which, I played my third game of Maracaibo tonight. First two games I scored 183 each time. Third game I scored 265, which felt pretty good. Focused on tons of income, capped the VP track twice, played 51 points worth of cards... Yea that game feels really good when it's comes together. It's too long for me to probably play it too much though.

• WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Champions of Midgard has an odd similarity with Lords of Waterdeep, in that they are good-great games, whose expansion elevate them to greater enjoyment. The Valhalla expansion (WITNESS ME!) and the Skullport expansion (Corruption for everyone!) opens up an extra layer of strategy for Midgard and Waterdeep.

If my god damn Planet Apocalypse doesn't ship soon I'm gonna start punching furniture

• crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    That's not a very nice way to treat your games

I picked up pandemic legacy season 2 last weekend!... We have to finish season 1 still. And we have an ongoing game of the 7th Continent, so it's still some ways out.

The Edge is showing up Monday!

All of it.

50 pounds!

I'm gonna be honest I completely forgot I ordered this thing.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    The what-now?

edited March 2020
    EXACTLY
    This is roughly half of what's showing up
    [img][/img]nxj2n7r3gqeg.jpg

Magic Pink on
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    What is going on in that picture?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular

God Munchkin is awful.

I think Betrayal is a flawed but often fun experience. All my Munchkin experiences have been a miserable slug that took way too long until it staggers to an end to most’s relief.

My eldest son liked Munchkin and we'd play it just to humor him. Something his mother and I learned is that most of the time you can't even deliberately quickly lose on purpose just to end it.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

God Munchkin is awful.

My eldest son liked Munchkin and we'd play it just to humor him. Something his mother and I learned is that most of the time you can't even deliberately quickly lose on purpose just to end it.

I played a game of munchkin so long that i was able to get drunk, then sober up again before I finally threw in the towel. It was a miserable experience.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    Munchkin is a totally fine 15 minute game that instead lasts 2 hours

edited March 2020
    38thDoe wrote: »
    What is going on in that picture?

he has no pants on

Magic Pink on
    It was a miserable experience.

yes this is munchkin

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

God Munchkin is awful.

I played a game of munchkin so long that i was able to get drunk, then sober up again before I finally threw in the towel. It was a miserable experience.

I think 3 of us worked through an entire vodka-soaked watermelon (and not a small one) one night several years ago over the course of a single game of Munchkin. My recall on the details is - perhaps understandably - not great.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Gf and I tried a rematch of Woodland Alliance vs Eyrie, and this time I took it just barely at the end, 32 to 28.

I'm confident she could have comfortably taken the game this time too, if she were more aggressive and better able to evaluate combat outcomes. WA probably just isn't super well suited to a 1v1, at least not against a big, action-efficient faction. Seems very dependent on cards dealt in setup, because a second turn base is crucial.

• tyrantula22tyrantula22 Registered User regular
    Our shared group memories are more along the lines of "Remember the last 3 games where the traitor missed one rule, couldn't ask others any questions, and it turns out it broke the scenario and rendered the whole thing a waste of time? Let's never play that again."

Yeah we played one game that lasted more than an hour and left someone without a decision post-haunt. We've never considered playing again really. Very poor fit for our group.

Yeah or another time when some witch turned someone into a toad who could only hop one space each turn. He failed two once per turn rolls to change back, then just checked out and went over to lie on the couch and play with his phone, telling us to just move and roll for him each turn. Couldn't blame him at all.

I understand the niche the game is meant to fill, but Mansions of Madness fills it just fine and is a MUCH better game. It technically has a lot fewer scenarios, but what's better: half a dozen decent scenarios, or 40 scenarios where you have to hope you randomly hit one of the half dozen that aren't crap, imbalanced, or poorly written?

I understand and sympathize with the guy getting bad roles with the toad. However I'd be fairly annoyed if a player just dropped out like that as well. It's not like it's going to take 15 minutes or more to get back around to you. Most other people don't really do "that" much more than roll and move either by that point in the game, they just are getting to do something more effective than try to not be a toad. Again, that still sucks, but still kind of a crappy move to just drop out like that and it can really sour any good times anyone else might have been having up to that point.

Battletag: Tyrantula22#1623
    Steam ID
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    It occurs to me that, typically, each player gets to make perhaps one meaningful decision per game in Betrayal, and it's what they do for their first turn after the haunt begins. Everything else before and after that is typically autopilot.

• sullijosullijo mid-level minion subterranean bunkerRegistered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »

For all of its numerous faults, this is occasionally also one of BGG's most useful features.

What do you see are some of BGG's faults? (This is a serious question from someone who, 15 years after creating an account, is starting to do more than just catalog games on the site.)

When I was driving once I saw this painted on a bridge:
    "I don't want the world, I just want your half"
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    sullijo wrote: »

What do you see are some of BGG's faults? (This is a serious question from someone who, 15 years after creating an account, is starting to do more than just catalog games on the site.)

The same faults as most online social media, especially gaming-related ones.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • sullijosullijo mid-level minion subterranean bunkerRegistered User regular

Got it; thanks.

When I was driving once I saw this painted on a bridge:
    "I don't want the world, I just want your half"
    The Edge is showing up Monday!

All of it.

50 pounds!

I'm gonna be honest I completely forgot I ordered this thing.

Im v curious about your thoughts on this one you get into it. I like the designer a lot, but this one was way too far into the Kickstarter excess realm for me to seriously consider it.

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular

This is such a non-answer that I'm actively annoyed.

There's a LOT of casual misogyny, racism and homophobia. They have a separate forum to keep the women in. It's probably one of the most ludicrously entitled group of people I've ever seen short of the forums on Steam.

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Woah, man ...
    To the first thing, sure, I guess? I'm involved in numerous sub-communities on BGG that are far more liberal and self-policing. I wouldn't fault BGG for "being a place where humans exist." and would personally feel there are more people with reasonable views than the inverse.
    To the second claim, "They have a separate forum to keep the women in" sure is a way of saying "there's a dedicated forum for women in the hobby." It's also boggling to me that a designated safe space / community hub is indicative of a problem with the site. :|