As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Resident Evil HD REmake and Resident Evil: Zero HD released, REmake 2 announced!

199100101102103105»

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Give Sheva a sniper or magnum and you'll never have to worry about anything ever again.

• BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Give Sheva a sniper or magnum and you'll never have to worry about anything ever again.

I beat it around release, but it just isn't good by yourself, imo.

• ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    RE5 kind of felt like generic arcadey coop; Revelations 2 actually had a more RE appropriate coop where one player was more of a support mechanic. It added to the tension and atmosphere IMO. Also, it has Barry and Moira Burton. Can't go wrong with Rev 2. I'm hoping they're going to make a coop Rev 3 one of these days

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular

Oh absolutely. The game is 100x more fun with a friend (preferably locally). But giving her those weapons makes the game incredibly easy.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Revelation 2's actual control set immediately struck me as a huge step backwards after RE5 and RE6. Deliberately so, for the sake of "tension" or something. Maybe I should give it another try.

The SVD is the way to go. Until you actually unlock the unlimited ammunition option for the Light Hawk, etc., magnum ammo is too rare to give it to the AI.

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    RE5 in coop is incredibly fun. I played it when it was relatively new and Xbox Live was buzzing with people looking to play, but I ended up playing through it multiple times to unlock infinite ammo weapons and just have a good time. Also, Sheva's great.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    RE4 has the most oh shit oh shit oh shit moments out of probably all of them. Also it's so, so delightfully cheesy. Just a classic.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    RE4 is definitely when the series took a wide turn into campy nonsense. Like, you fight a giant troll and some Spanish Napoleon kid. RE1-3 were way more grounded, but 4-6 just went off the rails with silliness. Not that it's a bad thing, I enjoyed 4 as well, but they're really more of a separate franchise almost. I'm glad 7 course corrected to a large extent, and the remakes of 2 and 3 certainly lean more towards what made the franchise special in the first place. I'm hoping 8 continues that trend.

There's always room for punching boulders and matrix meleeing zombies though, just hope it's in the form of DLC/side series

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular

They also improved it with patches and some of the DLC. I too played RE5 right at release and I bounced pretty hard off of it. I was playing solo and it was a miserable experience with Sheva's AI back then.

But if you play the Gold Edition of the game now, with all the patches and stuff, she's actually fairly competent. I enjoyed RE5 way more last year when I replayed it before RE2R came out.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »
    RE4 is definitely when the series took a wide turn into campy nonsense. Like, you fight a giant troll and some Spanish Napoleon kid. RE1-3 were way more grounded, but 4-6 just went off the rails with silliness. Not that it's a bad thing, I enjoyed 4 as well, but they're really more of a separate franchise almost. I'm glad 7 course corrected to a large extent, and the remakes of 2 and 3 certainly lean more towards what made the franchise special in the first place. I'm hoping 8 continues that trend.

There's always room for punching boulders and matrix meleeing zombies though, just hope it's in the form of DLC/side series

When RE4 first came out it was exactly the shot in the arm the series needed. Of course, Capcom seemed to learn all the wrong lessons from RE4's success. Hence RE5 and RE6.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Yeah.

I want a new RE4. Give me a creepy eastern European village, but make it a lot darker and spookier. Remove all the campiness of classic RE4. Make the villain guy in the castle to be not so much of a cartoon character.

Basically, change the entire tone to match the tone of RE2 Remake.

• BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »

They also improved it with patches and some of the DLC. I too played RE5 right at release and I bounced pretty hard off of it. I was playing solo and it was a miserable experience with Sheva's AI back then.

But if you play the Gold Edition of the game now, with all the patches and stuff, she's actually fairly competent. I enjoyed RE5 way more last year when I replayed it before RE2R came out.

I tried replaying it a couple years ago and had the opposite reaction. I thought the flaws were even more pronounced. I made it to the first fight with Wesker (which is really janky) and decided I'd had enough. Then I moved on to 6 and immediately had more fun. That only lasted as long as Leon's campaign, but still...

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »

I'd argue any notion of grounded went out the window with Code Veronica. That was when the insane puzzles really said goodbye to reality.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    Since January I have actually been playing through all of the RE games chronologically on Steam, and I would rate them as:

1. RE2 Remake - Basically perfect game style. I would like a sort of quick step kind of dodge though, just a little bit more mobilty

2. RE4 - Still fucking awesome

3. RE HD Remaster - Playing this right after Zero makes it apparent how much better designed the original game is. It's fucking tense at every step, and it's just so well put together even the stuff that really should be frustrating (like not being able to see enemies in the same room because of the fixed camera) somehow isn't really. It's a true videogame classic.

4. RE0 HD Remaster - It's good but it just isn't as well put together as the original. Ironically I think it suffers for lack of item boxes. It's great you can put stuff down anywhere and pick it up again, but once I'd finished in one area and moved on to the next, I'd have to make 2-3 trips back and forth between them ferrying all my left over health and ammo. 1 item box in the start area of each hub location would have made it a lot less tedious. Also the bosses are pretty bad I guess.

5. RE5 - Only ever played solo but it's pretty bad. Real time inventory management, and for two characters at once! They removed the ability to use a herb off the ground forcing you to permanently discard an entire stack of ammo just to pick up a consumable that you immediately use! A lot of the game design here is disgraceful, it's a real shit show. And the AI! Fuck, it's like it was designed to do exactly what you don't want them to do at any given moment. They'll also burn through any ammo or health you give them near instantly, making the tiny inventory/item managment situation even worse. Story is also dumb as fuck, but not self-aware like RE4. This game also cements Chris as just dumb as shit, like the dumbest person alive.

6. RE6 - Let's take a journey through RE6!

Me, playing Leon's campaign: This really isn't so bad, why does this game have a bad rep? It controls well, I quite like the health pellets, and zombies! The UI design is pretty terrible though. Hmm wait, every area of this game just has infinitely respawning enemies, this kinda sucks.

Chris' campaign: oh no

Jake: ohh nooo

Ada: nooooooooooooooooooooo

I've never played Nemesis or 7. Rev and Rev 2 I played a couple of years ago and don't remember, but one of them was pretty bad and the other was okay (the one on the ship was the good one, I think). Code Veronica I played on the Dreamcast as a tiny child and don't remember enough about.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    I honestly keep forgetting that 7 exists. It's an extremely good game but it just doesn't quite register as "Resident Evil" when I think of the series.

• WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    The inventory system in 5 seems awful on first glance, but that's just inexperience talking. It's accessible during the ubiquitous i-frames, it has multiple hotkeys that speed up your actions dramatically, and it even permits you to skip reload animations entirely. I've played a couple hundred hours of RE5, mostly in co-op mercs, and at this point the only thing I can think of that would noticeably improve it would be to slightly streamline the give an item to/request a trade from your partner mechanic. Everything else works really well once you know what you're doing. Being able to eat a single green herb straight off the ground seems like an obvious QoL improvement, but, honestly, you've already made multiple mistakes if you're walking around with a completely full inventory and low health.

• FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    RE7 is the most Resident Evil game since the original, which ... yeah, I was not expecting that. It’s fairly meta, since it addresses questions like “who the hell built these ridiculous puzzle-locks, and WHY?” It also is the most unsettling of the entire series for me. I’m looking at YOU, person looking at me as I wander around! It is easily one of the best games in the series as well. It also has what is probably the most grounded and, dare I say it, “realistic” story. Not the individual elements of it, because lol yeah—no—but the idea of it all is easier to swallow than “creepy mansion holds secrets because *reasons*.” Absolutely play it if you have any interest in it whatsoever.

• mastertheheromasterthehero Professional Video Editor & Book Author Registered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »
    RE7 is the most Resident Evil game since the original, which ... yeah, I was not expecting that. It’s fairly meta, since it addresses questions like “who the hell built these ridiculous puzzle-locks, and WHY?” It also is the most unsettling of the entire series for me. I’m looking at YOU, person looking at me as I wander around! It is easily one of the best games in the series as well. It also has what is probably the most grounded and, dare I say it, “realistic” story. Not the individual elements of it, because lol yeah—no—but the idea of it all is easier to swallow than “creepy mansion holds secrets because *reasons*.” Absolutely play it if you have any interest in it whatsoever.

I loved RE7, and I agree that it felt more... believable. I also thought that the black slime was absolutely horrifying and I hated all my interactions with it. I can't imagine how much scarier that game would have been if I had a VR setup. Very fun. There were plenty of moments where I was like "f--- that, I'm not going in there."

hk52krrtzsf6.gif
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    I honestly keep forgetting that 7 exists. It's an extremely good game but it just doesn't quite register as "Resident Evil" when I think of the series.

That's ironic to me because RE7 feels perfectly like what you would get if you did a great job adapting the style of RE1 to the more actiony gameplay of RE2 and made it all an FPS. And RE7 even bothers to acknowledge the crazy-ass puzzles as well as justifying why they are there, so it's not a "why the fuck does this police station have secret door statues and colored keys and shit?" situation.

RE1, RE2, and RE7 (with the various remakes/rereleases) are the only ones in the series that I would actually consider Resident Evil games at all (I've never played RE3, so I can't comment on where that lands). They've all got that great mix of mystery-horror and puzzle-solving combined with enough combat to keep you engaged but without being unrelenting. RE7 in particular is up there for me because it still has the survival-horror thing, but without trying your hands with terrible controls like RE1; I definitely fucked up reacting to things more than once, but that was because the game genuinely caught me off-guard. But then they let you get an infinite saw with the right win conditions, and it's pretty dang sweet and cathartic just BZZZZZing your way through every enemy in the game from the start.

RE4 is fun, but it's just not an RE game for me; it's fun and campy, but the sense of danger is mostly from the annoying outdated controls rather than the game design. The resource management is also pretty laughable, since you end up absolutely swimming in gear almost as soon as you can start upgrading weapons. The whacky dialogues are great, though; pretty much zero scare value, but loads of entertainment. RE5 and RE6 had absolutely zero appeal for me, they were just bland, serious action games from every angle I could see.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I was talking about this in the steam thread but I’ve been playing two point hospital and it got me wanting a Resident evil Umbrella Corp themed management sim

I think the closest thing to what I’m thinking of would be like the recent Jurassic park game.

Tho Instead of showing off creatures to patrons tho you could get like terrorist groups and generals to come tour your facility, and they’d buy creatures or virus strains from you. And you’d have to train up like defense and biohazard troops for outbreaks and spills. Also espionage and like corporate backstabbing with your personnel betraying each other for promotions, killing, self injecting. Also avoiding hero’s exposing you etc

• ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I had a dream that they announced Resident evil 8 and the star characters were Rebecca and Sherry and now i'm sad because i feel like Capcom's never going to dig Rebecca out of whatever hole they stuffed her in.

Also i really hate the "Fan theory" that Rebecca died because Nemesis hunted her down off-screen.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    I was talking about this in the steam thread but I’ve been playing two point hospital and it got me wanting a Resident evil Umbrella Corp themed management sim

I think the closest thing to what I’m thinking of would be like the recent Jurassic park game.

Tho Instead of showing off creatures to patrons tho you could get like terrorist groups and generals to come tour your facility, and they’d buy creatures or virus strains from you. And you’d have to train up like defense and biohazard troops for outbreaks and spills. Also espionage and like corporate backstabbing with your personnel betraying each other for promotions, killing, self injecting. Also avoiding hero’s exposing you etc

Speaking of Jurassic Park and Resident Evil, I want a Dino Crisis remake so dang hard. The original was kinda simplistic compared to the RE series, but you just can't beat classics like having bloodthirsty raptor clones leaping up out of floor panels after you or having a jerk T-rex stomping around just determined to eat you and only you.

Barring that, a time-based open-world survival thing where you're trying to survive on a dinosaur island for a few days until rescue shows up. You can pick a place to hole up but predators will try to sneak/break in if they track you back home, and you have to go out and gather up supplies while avoiding getting eaten. You can find food, weapons, fuel for generators so you can power up fences/doors/vehicles, just a whole bunch of things to do with the idea.

• President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular

RE1, RE2, and RE7 (with the various remakes/rereleases) are the only ones in the series that I would actually consider Resident Evil games at all (I've never played RE3, so I can't comment on where that lands). They've all got that great mix of mystery-horror and puzzle-solving combined with enough combat to keep you engaged but without being unrelenting.

RE3 was basically a mix of early RE1 and RE2 gameplay (the mansion, the streets and the early PD). It also had great replayability thanks to the randomness (item placement, path changes, special environmental action) and live choices mechanic. Storywise, it's as grounded as anything 1 or 2 had to offer. It could clock in a bit short and was a bit more action-oriented.

But RE1, RE2, RE3, and RE:CV - despite all their billing as survival horror - gave you more than enough ammo to murder everything. The RE2 Remake actually made me hunt for items and ammo on the first playthrough.

Prohass wrote: »

I like it, but you've got to throw in a system that has you design incredibly elaborate puzzles to get into certain places. You need two medallions to access the secret sewer entrance, and one medallion has been broken into three pieces. One is hidden inside a book, but the book is in the gravestone behind the train station, and can only be removed when you add the stone flower you took from the statue in the park, and so on.
    Each step slows the hero down and gives your facility Tyrant more time to catch up to them and punch their head off.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    haha I would love that, a “ridiculously contrived and elaborate puzzles and traps” skill tree. It would be nice to be the sick bastard on the other end of those for a change, forcing hero characters to schlep all over the place

Prohass on
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Based on Zero an umbrella mangement needs an in-depth dead mans shoes promotion system

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    Zunde wrote: »
    I had a dream that they announced Resident evil 8 and the star characters were Rebecca and Sherry and now i'm sad because i feel like Capcom's never going to dig Rebecca out of whatever hole they stuffed her in.

Also i really hate the "Fan theory" that Rebecca died because Nemesis hunted her down off-screen.

@Zunde Rebecca's fine in the canon, she's appeared in a few non-game stories. After the events of Zero and 1 she sensibly decided to stay the hell away from combat and went into research instead.

That's ironic to me because RE7 feels perfectly like what you would get if you did a great job adapting the style of RE1 to the more actiony gameplay of RE2 and made it all an FPS. And RE7 even bothers to acknowledge the crazy-ass puzzles as well as justifying why they are there, so it's not a "why the fuck does this police station have secret door statues and colored keys and shit?" situation.

RE1, RE2, and RE7 (with the various remakes/rereleases) are the only ones in the series that I would actually consider Resident Evil games at all (I've never played RE3, so I can't comment on where that lands). They've all got that great mix of mystery-horror and puzzle-solving combined with enough combat to keep you engaged but without being unrelenting. RE7 in particular is up there for me because it still has the survival-horror thing, but without trying your hands with terrible controls like RE1; I definitely fucked up reacting to things more than once, but that was because the game genuinely caught me off-guard. But then they let you get an infinite saw with the right win conditions, and it's pretty dang sweet and cathartic just BZZZZZing your way through every enemy in the game from the start.

RE4 is fun, but it's just not an RE game for me; it's fun and campy, but the sense of danger is mostly from the annoying outdated controls rather than the game design. The resource management is also pretty laughable, since you end up absolutely swimming in gear almost as soon as you can start upgrading weapons. The whacky dialogues are great, though; pretty much zero scare value, but loads of entertainment. RE5 and RE6 had absolutely zero appeal for me, they were just bland, serious action games from every angle I could see.

Yeah the scare factor of RE4 drops considerably with improved controls. The Wii version with IR pointer aiming is a breeze just popping skulls left and right. If you can digest the controls and not get annoyed by them, it's a very tense game, especially on your very first play. I think that goes for all the early RE games though.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    One thing I remember reading about RE4 was that the stand and shoot mechanic wasn't a development limitation; they had an initial version where you could move and shoot at the same time, but they found that it didn't play as well. Just like the earlier games, they wanted you to be making a constant choice between fight or flight, rather than doing both at the same time.

• Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Is there going to be a new thread before RE3make comes out?

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    I think someone should make one and we should tag Sterica or someone to close this one. This thread title hasn't been updated since before RE2make came out, so I'm unsure if Spaniard even checks the thread anymore.

KoopahTroopah on
    edited March 2020
    @Sterica New RE thread's up, please close this one.

Burnage on
This discussion has been closed.