As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Translating a short email from english to italian?

Indie WinterIndie Winter die KräheRudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
so I recently bought a product from a small business in italy and had a rough time getting it through italian customs. The business in question were tremendously helpful and attentive throughout the whole process and we're finally in the last stages of getting the thing delivered.

They speak perfectly serviceable english and we've had no problem communicating, but I want to show my appreciation for their efforts when the thing finally gets here by composing a nice email in italian and sending it to the people I've been in contact with. I have no problem paying for a translation service, but for some reason the general marketplace I know for such services (Fiverr) does not accept AMEX cards, which is all I have at the moment.

Does anyone know of a service or of a freelancer that can translate a short email from english to italian? as I've said, payment is not a concern and I'd be happy to discuss rates if and when appropriate, I just need a recommendation for a reliable translator.

Thanks!

wY6K6Jb.gif

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I'm not familiar with Fiverr, but could you put some money on a prepaid Visa card and use it?

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    that would work but would require me getting that sort of card which is, a whole deal

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Have you tried Google Translate? Seems like that would do a good job for a business email.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I don't know how it is with Italian, but when it comes to English, German and French, I find DeepL does a very good job, in most cases clearly better than Google Translate.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Do you have Discord? I know the China discussion server offers translations, there might be something similar for Italian.

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    These services are usually better at translating stuff into English than the other way round, because English is not a highly inflected language.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    That's generally right, but my experience with DeepL and English --> German, English --> French and German --> French is very good. It's obviously not equal to professional translation, but it's a far cry from Babelfish or Google Translate five years ago.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods