As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WAR] Deader than the Tomb Kings.

1454647484951»

• RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    What happened to Mythic turned out to be exactly what I feared when I heard that EA bought them out: they were going to be shut down and gutted eventually. The thing about WaR was that it was rushed and without several classes that were needed for balance.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2015
    I'm inclined to say that this wasn't entirely EA's fault. Old Republic had a similar horrible start, but they found their footing after a free-to-play transition. For whatever reason, Games Workshop insisted that WAR never go free-to-play, and instead the hail mary to save the game was a baffling standalone moba based on scenario gameplay that would have given players benefits for having a WAR subscription.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    GW *does* seem to have an irrational hatred of their own customers, but it's also possible that going free-to-play would trigger a change in the way GW got paid for the use of the IP.

Like, they only got paid a cut of subscriptions, but not any sort of in-game store. That would mean that one or both sides refused to rewrite the contract though.

• BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    For all its flaws, I miss this game. I was an Ironbreaker who would team up with my buddies Witch Hunter. Throw in a Warrior Priest and the three of us in PvP could do so much damage to 2x our number. It was a lot of fun.

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    For all its flaws, I miss this game. I was an Ironbreaker who would team up with my buddies Witch Hunter. Throw in a Warrior Priest and the three of us in PvP could do so much damage to 2x our number. It was a lot of fun.

Have you downloaded Return of Reckoning?

• BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »

I have. It's not quite the same as I remember, though, although it's nice to see the visuals / the feel of the world again. It's also probably just MY memory being faulty, but the PQs seem easier than I remember, too.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited August 2020

I was a witch hunter who ran into a korean ironbreaker. He could only really communicate with basic acronyms and single words of english, but it didn't matter. Both of us knew exactly how to play that team. We joined up initially because we ran into each other at a chokepoint in a big map and a fight broke out. I was supporting him, and in the middle of it he threw me a party invite. We proceeded to destroy basically everyone who came across us, probably killing about 15 people before we were finally ended. We ran back and did it again. How the renown flowed that day.

After that I would party with him and eventually got invited into his korean quickmatch team, and it was a ball of fun. I've never done better with any other team. I don't think i ever really spoke properly to any of them, but all of us knew how to play. And that was all that was needed.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • KendrikKendrik Lewisville, TXRegistered User regular

I have. It's not quite the same as I remember, though, although it's nice to see the visuals / the feel of the world again. It's also probably just MY memory being faulty, but the PQs seem easier than I remember, too.

Sorry to Necro, but I wanted to comment on this. The wife and I downloaded RoR and found a guild and played quite heavily again for awhile, but yeah, it just didn't have the same feel. Running as Kendrik the Chosen and Pistachio the Shaman with the PA destro guild was just SO damn fun. I'm still disappointed that WAR didn't stick around. Stupid EA and GW and whoever else screwed things up....

steam_sig.png
    For your own Steam Signature visit https://alabasterslim.com/steam-signatures/
    Guild Wars 2: Kendrik.5984
    Kendrik wrote: »

Sorry to Necro, but I wanted to comment on this. The wife and I downloaded RoR and found a guild and played quite heavily again for awhile, but yeah, it just didn't have the same feel. Running as Kendrik the Chosen and Pistachio the Shaman with the PA destro guild was just SO damn fun. I'm still disappointed that WAR didn't stick around. Stupid EA and GW and whoever else screwed things up....

Heh. I have this bookmarked because me and a friend both got into RoR back in March (we each played and were disappointed by live back in the day, but didn't know each other at the time) and played heavily for a few months -- multiple toons to 40 and enough ORvR grinding to get to 40/60. Obviously we enjoyed it a lot but the endgame just isn't there.

• bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    Did RoR ever add back in more of the pve dungeons past like, lvl ~30 (or annihlator equiv) or so?

akirasig.jpg
    Did RoR ever add back in more of the pve dungeons past like, lvl ~30 (or annihlator equiv) or so?

There were endgame dungeons when I was playing. Gunbad, I think?