As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The First Rule of [Cook Club] (Cook-along Week 46: Okonomyaki)

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    It's a busy short week because I'm going out of town this weekend, so I think I'm going to go with this "rent week gnocchi" from Bon Appetit:

https://www.bonappetit.com/story/rent-week-store-bought-gnocchi

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    So because Mrs Mittens is lactose intolerant and not a big fan of Indian spices (:sad:) we ended up making a Thai red curry instead. I basically threw it together without following a recipe.

Dicded onion, sauteed until starting to char a bit, add 1.5 lb chicken breast, cubed, with salt and pepper. Add some color and cook partway, then added 75 g red curry paste which we bought at the Asian supermarket and was much spicier than the stuff at the regular grocery. I liked the heat but it was too much for her so I ended up eventually adding 2 cans of coconut milk to cut the heat in the sauce. Added ~1 cup of chicken stock, 2 slivered bell peppers and some julienned carrots. I forgot to add the garnish to our dinner (and the picture below) but also had some sliced lime, basil and cilantro to top it. Apologies for the terrible and kind of unappetizing photo; I snapped a picture very shortly before eating because it smelled SO GOOD so I didn't bother with any food styling.

Rp1VAZO.png?1

We also learned that the baby loves Thai curry and can handle spicy food much better than her mother :biggrin:

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Chef John has a few couple of gnocchi recipes
    https://foodwishes.blogspot.com/search?q=gnocchi

I will probably be making one of his, unless I find something in my Better Homes & Gardens cook book

I said this was going to be a quick one:

wZYYwrj.jpg

Recipe and process here: https://imgur.com/a/E8eMwZp

Turns out frying stuff in butter is delicious.

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    The curry is better two days later.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Curries and chillies are better two days later, it is known.

I would like to add sushi rolls to the list, there are lots of ways alternate ways to do them...also it might get people into pickling which everyone should get into.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I would like to add sushi rolls to the list, there are lots of ways alternate ways to do them...also it might get people into pickling which everyone should get into.

Speaking of, I’m gonna start making some giardiniera tonight, if all goes well.

Now that I think of it in conjunction with sushi, I want to pickle some ginger root I got recently.

Enlong on
  • SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    Apologies for the delay, gnocchi is up on the first page and I've finished updating last week's participants--we hit a new record for cookalongs, good job team!

I may be able to catch up some day, but a family emergency followed by a vile bout of food poisoning has severely set me behind :lol:

I recall making gnocchi several years ago--the Serious Eats ricotta version, but with the sage butter sauce from their potato version: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/03/light-tender-potato-gnocchi-recipe.html

It was incredibly incredibly good but also so rich I died

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Night 3. I have noticed that the chicken tikka is more fragrant and enticing when I pull it out of the fridge than most of my meals are after they've been heated up.

I blame the fenugreek.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    I left a burner up a tick too high and burned the shit out of my rice, and had to spend like twenty minutes scouring carbon out of the bottom of my small saucepan. All while curry smell was permeating the kitchen and my stomach was growling.

This is the worst thing that has ever happened to anyone.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    Fuck I left the rice on the lowest setting but on the wrong burner and I carbonized it again.

That's it, I'm done with rice. Next time we do a dish with rice I'm buying a machine that does nothing but cook rice. This is the pits.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    I haven’t cooked white rice in a pot since 1995 and I’ll never go back.

The only rice I use a pot for is con gri, and that finishes in the oven, not on the stove.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    the thought of trying to cook rice without a rice cooker, that is not just some big rice porridge....

no, no thank you.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    the only time I've ever burned rice was using an sst pot without oil or butter and I left it too long

Like, I remember being young and that we cooked rice in a pot.

I have no memory of how it was done, I just remember that everyone hated it and the day we got a nice Zojirushi rice cooker for this-was-most-likely-stolen cheapie was like everyone in the house breathed a sigh of relief and rice was never a problem again.

I'm excited to make gnocchi this Saturday

quick question: do I need a potato ricer or can I just make mashed potatoes?

I've cooked rice in a pot a decent amount over the years, I got pretty good at it. I do not recommend it.

I don't know if I've ever made rice on the stovetop; we've always had a rice cooker. (Well, now I have an instant pot which serves as a rice cooker on top of being a pressure cooker.)

People sometimes remark about how a rice cooker isn't necessary but if you regularly eat rice it's such a time saver! And it's not a unitasker either, especially if you get it in the form of an instant pot :P

Xaquin wrote: »

Apparently the ricer does something particular? (release the steam/liquid more effectively? I'm really not too sure). But you can apparently use a grater instead! https://smittenkitchen.com/2007/04/saved-by-a-grater/

signature.png

Yeah, grater seems to be the preferred workaround, it just takes longer.

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    If I'm making rice for just myself, I use the microwave since I don't have a dedicated rice cooker.

Took a little experimenting to ensure that it produces decent rice, but it's now far more foolproof for me than using a pot.

• shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Fuck I left the rice on the lowest setting but on the wrong burner and I carbonized it again.

That's it, I'm done with rice. Next time we do a dish with rice I'm buying a machine that does nothing but cook rice. This is the pits.

I burned the hell out of the bottom of my saucepan when I cooked the rice for the chicken tikka masala last Saturday. Most of the rice turned out OK, but the pan was nearly a lost cause. I'm terrible at stovetop rice, but do not have the cupboard/counter space for a rice cooker. It sucks.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I made gnocchi once before... because it’s one of the recipes on the Nintendo DS game “Personal Trainer Cooking”.

Q17MdFQ.jpg

As you can see, I made this recipe in 2010 and my verdict was “not terrible”.

eHLlSvT.jpg

I’m going to try this exact recipe again. My note says to use parmesan cheese instead of gorgonzola but 2010 me probably doesn’t know what she’s talking about.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    That would be a lot of parm.

The one time I made gnocchi & cheese I used a mix of meunster and provolone and I intentionally burned the shit out of the sides of the casserole to get that burnt cheese crust and it was really fantastic, but the gnocchi ended up really gummy by the end.

• TayaTaya Registered User regular
    yFVMSjW.jpg

I followed the Personal Trainer Cooking recipe and the gnocchi turned out pretty good. I made a lot of it. Most of it I put in the freezer for the future.

JWTmZKO.jpg

The gorgonzola sauce was pretty good but past-me was right, I would have preferred a cheese that was less tangy. When I cook the rest of the gnocchi, I’ll try something different. Maybe mozzarella or an alfredo sauce or butter and garlic.

Also, gorgonzola costs $8.00 for 150 grams!

I forgot how much I liked using Personal Trainer Cooking.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    That's...$30 a pound? Yikes, why is gorgonzola more expensive than havarti, the superior cheese?

You ever tried to milk a Gorgon?

GDdCWMm.jpg
    my dough is mealy and doesn't want to stick together at all =/

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    my dough is mealy and doesn't want to stick together at all =/

Add more egg. (actually more egg never hurts in any kind of pasta)

I had already added an extra egg!

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2020
    MORE

gettyimages-182717335-30-355069be313ad674537c51219c269b654d5fc05a-s800-c85.jpg

EGG!!!

edit: actually you can dribble in some milk if it's just a bit on the crumbly side, but I wouldn't add more than about a tablespoon per cup of flour

tynic on
    alrighty

fresh gnocchi

I brute forced flavor into it with butter, cream, and parmesan cheese

turns out I just don't much care for gnocchi lol. everyone else had seconds though so it all got eaten

sl72pln5ajzf.jpg

I decided to go with the Roman-style semolina gnocchi, because I had some leftover semolina flour from an ill-fated flatbread experiment. I did take the advice of one of the commenters on that recipe and add a dash of nutmeg.

tcdgeqm37tsa.png

This was an exciting one! I have seldom started making a recipe with less of an idea as to what it would taste like when I was done. Midway through the stovetop portion it felt less like cooking and more like a science experiment where I was trying to produce a non-Newtonian fluid. That I was about to drop half a wedge of parmesan into.

5uxz8frqenj2.png

Hell, yeah, non-Newtonian cheese.

dqqushkr0rle.png

It was...good. I mean, of course it was good, it's ten pounds of dairy in a five-pound batter, it's basically baked dopamine. It kind of reminds me of an extra-thick layer of the bechamel sauce off the top of moussaka, or my sister's cheesy baked grits that she does for holidays.

In fact, probably the best place for this dish would be as a side at a random potluck, so people could enjoy it without knowing the terrible cheese crimes lurking within.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    Is that shrimp?

I want to go to there.

Doodmann wrote: »
    Is that shrimp?

I want to go to there.

mine had shrimp, yes

they were delicious!

• BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Managed to fit one more of these in. Classic potato recipe from the OP. Didn't have a ricer, so used a potato smasher instead. Wasn't thorough enough so still had some chunks when I was making the dough, but pushed on anyway.

EQfBhUQ.jpg?1

Made the sauce from scratch and was my first time using leek. Store sold them in pairs so I now need something to do with the second one.

s8si59N.jpg?2

Ended up tasting fine, but now I have a whole bunch of frozen gnocchi that I'll need to use up over the next month.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
    leek soup is divine!

you can also use it in socca!

Oooh, wow, they all look so pillowy and soft

Jedoc, I'm so happy someone tried the semolina one!!!!

I also made my gnocchi tonight:

s8yaedwdhe25.png

Here it is doused in some Serious Eats slow-cooked tomato sauce, accompanied by my sister's green beans

w9noz40nd20z.png

signature.png
  • DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    I'll fully admit that I'm too lazy to try gnocchi, but I'm very much enjoying everyone else's results. Cheering you on from the sidelines!!

edited March 2020
    good avatar to go with that comment

edit: gumbo next?!

awwww hell yeah!

gonna make my own andouile and everything!

Xaquin on