As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Formula One & motorsport] Le Mans 24 Hours: Please stop crashing into Sophia Flörsch

• PolarisPolaris I am powerless against the sky. Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Drive to survive s2
    The Niki episode was devastating

Polaris on
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Drive to Survive
    I was kind of surprised that there was no mention of Charly Whiting before the Australian GP.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Drive to Survive S2 is fantastic, guys.
    The mic on Steiner after Magnussen and Grosjean took each other out.

Jesus.

And Pierre Gasly losing his seat to Albon.

This series is incredible.

I had forgotten that
    Haas decided to go back to the original spec on Grosjean's car and then literally the first race they're comparing they crash into each other and have to retire.

steam_sig.png
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    So 7 F1 teams released a pretty scathing letter today about the FIA/Ferrari deal. McLaren, Mercedes, Red Bull, Renault, Alpha Tauri, Racing Point and Williams all signed the letter. So basically all the non-Ferrari engined teams.

Full text:
    We, the undersigned teams, were surprised and shocked by the FIA’s statement of Friday 28 February regarding the conclusion of its investigation into the Scuderia Ferrari Formula 1 Power Unit.

An international sporting regulator has the responsibility to act with the highest standards of governance, integrity and transparency.

After months of investigations that were undertaken by the FIA only following queries raised by other teams, we strongly object to the FIA reaching a confidential settlement agreement with Ferrari to conclude this matter.

Therefore, we hereby state publicly our shared commitment to pursue full and proper disclosure in this matter, to ensure that our sport treats all competitors fairly and equally. We do so on behalf of the fans, the participants and the stakeholders of Formula One.

In addition, we reserve our rights to seek legal redress, within the FIA’s due process and before the competent courts.

McLaren Racing Limited
    Mercedes-Benz Grand Prix Limited
    Racing Point UK Limited
    Red Bull Racing Limited
    Renault Sport Racing Limited
    Scuderia Alpha Tauri S.p.A.
    Williams Grand Prix Engineering Limited

More info at The Race plus some other articles about it:

https://the-race.com/formula-1/ferraris-rivals-could-seek-legal-action-over-fia-settlement/

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Not doing a good job of dispelling the "Ferrari International Assistance" nickname there, FIA.

The optics are bad. I think in reality what the FIA was trying to do was say to Ferrari "we know you were cheating, but if you help us plug the loopholes for 2021 forward, we'll sweep it under the rug"...but that was never going to fly.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    edited March 2020
    The Bahrain Grand Prix has banned fans from attending because you know why.

Wouldn't surprise me if more followed suit, but I appreciate Bahrain is one of the easiest races at which to do this for various reasons.

Jazz on
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    The Australian officials have come out to say that such limitations won't be imposed at this weekend's GP.

Probably a good idea to head down and fence any spare toilet paper you have though

steam_sig.png
  • KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Is Australia hoarding toilet paper as well? WTF people.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Ferrari, who are based in the area locked down by the Italian government quarantine, are trying to get special dispensation to attend Australia, apparently a good amount of equipment and crew were already there

but if Ferrari can't attend (it's unclear what threshold counts as "this team is present") then the race would not award points (and presumably not take place since nobody is going to put miles on their engines for 0 points)

edited March 2020
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Is Australia hoarding toilet paper as well? WTF people.

It's masks and hand sanitizer here in America...even though masks don't help and you should be washing your hands with hot water and soap, not just splurting hand sanitizer all over them. People do hysterical things when group think sets in.

That would suck if the season doesn't start this weekend because Ferrari is quarantined...but public safety always comes first.

GnomeTank on
    OP updated with 2020 F1 driver/team line-up and calendar.

I cannot find anything similar to the picture of all the cars for this year; if any of you guys has the time and inclination to put one together, I'd be grateful :)

And in brighter news, Frontier Developments (makers of Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster, Jurassic World Evolution, etc) will be creating officially-licensed F1 management simulators (but the first isn't scheduled until 2022): https://www.racefans.net/2020/03/10/f1-appoints-elite-game-developer-to-create-new-series-of-official-management-sims/

Also, Codemasters extended their contract for the F1 racing game series until 2025.

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I would keep a close eye on https://spotterguide.cool/ this person has done one for the last 4 years so I would expect another pretty soon. At least I hope so because they are fantastic

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    F1 2019 is 70% off on Steam for the traditional opening-race-of-the-season sale. All the DLC's on sale too. I may have grabbed a couple of the more awesome horse armors race suits.

Also, if you have Humble Choice (formerly Humble Monthly), it's one of this month's games so grab it from there for even less money!

Two team members from Haas and one from McLaren are in self-isolation after being tested for coronavirus at the Australian Grand Prix.

The personnel were tested in a medical centre at the Albert Park circuit after showing symptoms of the virus. They are staying in their hotel rooms as a precaution.

precaution only. the virus presents like the flu, and every F1 paddock member has been working quadruple shifts in northern europe over the past 2 winter months

some dudes are gonna have the flu

Seriously hope that's all it is.

• jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    F1 2019 is 70% off on Steam for the traditional opening-race-of-the-season sale. All the DLC's on sale too. I may have grabbed a couple of the more awesome horse armors race suits.

Also, if you have Humble Choice (formerly Humble Monthly), it's one of this month's games so grab it from there for even less money!

It's also $17.99 on the Playstation Store at the moment... think I'm finally gonna jump on a F1 game... it's been way too long since I've put time into a racing game...

The more I read the coronavirus thread, the more I'm becoming convinced that having spectators at the Australian GP is a bad idea. But it's in the middle of Melbourne, it's not exactly as isolated as Sakhir in Bahrain, so how you'd stop that even if you wanted to I have no idea.

I'd hate for the race to be remembered as a coronavirus spreader. The state of Victoria has 23 cases right now, apparently.

I bet we see more than just Bahrain run with no spectators this year.

• DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    The more I read the coronavirus thread, the more I'm becoming convinced that having spectators at the Australian GP is a bad idea. But it's in the middle of Melbourne, it's not exactly as isolated as Sakhir in Bahrain, so how you'd stop that even if you wanted to I have no idea.

I'd hate for the race to be remembered as a coronavirus spreader. The state of Victoria has 23 cases right now, apparently.

If there was ever a case for F1TV, I think this is it.

But yeah, any unnecessary large grouping of people should be avoided.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
    Drovek wrote: »

If there was ever a case for F1TV, I think this is it.

But yeah, any unnecessary large grouping of people should be avoided.

I saw one of my favourite bands in the world, Delain, last month, before this really kicked off over here. Glad their UK shows were then, I'd be nervous about going now. It was only a 1,500 capacity venue, but still. They aren't a huge band and they aren't rolling in money. I can't help but think of them (and, by extension, other musicians reliant on touring for income), and hope they aren't too severely impacted by show cancellations and suchlike; not to mention when shows do go ahead, their constant exposure to audiences of various sizes, and often in more cramped venues, night after night.

At least it's possible for the F1 teams and drivers to keep their distance a bit more from fans at the races. Driver meet-and-greets are already being replaced by drivers doing an on-stage presentation instead.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Ricciardo's helmet looks fantastic niv88a1zdajk.jpg

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Red Bull postertacen8qm7bww.jpg

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Get em Albon

edited March 2020
    Australian GP: Lewis Hamilton is 'very surprised' F1 continues amid coronavirus outbreak - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/51848193

Asked why F1 is continuing, Hamilton said: "Cash is king".

Oof.

Also Vietnam says it will refuse entry to anyone who's been to Italy in the last 14 days. That includes Antonio Giovinazzi, personnel from Ferrari and Alpha Tauri, and tyre supplier Pirelli. Chase Carey is in Vietnam trying to make sure the race goes ahead.

Jazz on
    Meanwhile:

MotoGP: First four races of 2020 season cancelled because of coronavirus - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/motorsport/51834975

World Superbikes: Spanish round scheduled for March postponed until October because of coronavirus - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/northern-ireland/51845794

edited March 2020
    Shit is really kicking off today down under.

A few days ago we were laughing at dickheads stockpiling toilet paper, now a massive federal stimulus package has dropped and there are calls to shut down all schools right now.

The head of the Victorian state government has been talking very soberly about shutting down large scale events (the AFL seasons starts soon and if you know anything about AFL and Melbourne this is CAPITAL B BIG news), so I would not be surprised if the GP situation develops tonight

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
    Stay safe down there, @TeeMan.

I was at the track today and if not for the occasional handwash station and the lack of driver autograph sessions you'd be forgiven for thinking nothing was up. Thousands in attendance.

• evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    McLaren withdrawing from race after a team member tested positive. Haas members who got tested don't have it.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

It's 11pm local over there - gonna be a loooooooong night

steam_sig.png
    TeeMan wrote: »
    It's 11pm local over there - gonna be a loooooooong night

Literally awake in my hotel room wondering if I should just go ahead and rebook my Monday flight to leave tomorrow

tldr looks like no news until 7am Melbourne time

Yeah, she's done like a dinner.

steam_sig.png
    TeeMan wrote: »
    Yeah, she's done like a dinner.

I need to remember that one. :+1:

edited March 2020
    Honestly, waiting this long to cancel is so much worse. Presumably tickets will be refunded but flights and accommodation are shit out of luck.

Dhalphir on
    edited March 2020
    Apparently I can get $197 back on my Airbnb if I cancel remainder of trip tomorrow. Still out $600 + same again for flights.

Apparently team principals are meeting right now to decide course of action. They of course don't have the authority to unilaterally declare the race on, but they can do the reverse and cancel it by all pulling out. So they're meeting right now, government meeting 7am.

Dhalphir on
    no matter what the championship points are off

the FIA already said that if one team doesn't race, then they don't award points

unless they also vote to add another engine token or something, I don't see them racing

Jasconius wrote: »
    no matter what the championship points are off

the FIA already said that if one team doesn't race, then they don't award points

unless they also vote to add another engine token or something, I don't see them racing

That was said in the context of a government banning a team from entering the country. A team voluntarily pulling out is not quite the same situation. Though I think Zak Brown is well respected enough that the other principals will show solidarity.

This discussion has been closed.