As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

City of Heroes or Villains or Rogues

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Yeah it's been a big blow-up today about it, all the content creators are either quitting or moving to other servers. Unfortunately the 4chan server is seeing a lot of popularity :/

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Dac wrote: »
    I mean, that's okay? But everyone gets to 'I ain't dyin'' levels with a suite of support.

But yeah, I would pin it on it being too simple. Tanks manage aggro and position to herd enemies, Brutes basically do the same with additional Fury management, Stalkers have a combo system that lets them crit Assassin Strike mid-combat, etc. Even Blasters have consistently high damage that they can spike with their Nova abilities, and I can't emphasize enough how much fun the Snipe changes have added, practically giving Blasters a ranged Assassin's Strike.
    Well, I sort of figured "and I ain't dyin'" was implying that it was in situations where most other classes would die. Like, eat some candy, lower the difficulty (have support debuf them, be incarnate, etc etc) and any AT can win a fight, but that's not really a meaningful statement.

I also don't find stuff like fury management to be anything of the kind? What's there to manage, you keep fighting until you endurance runs out, then you lose it as you recover, the play style is exactly the same as any other melee class. This isn't DMC where you can use your range attacks to keep the combo meter high (if only). If you have enough resources to use your attacks to keep fury going then you would have been doing that as Scraper also.
    Basically, every damage class in this game can be played as "keep doing your most effective damage chain until your health or endurance runs low", the only real differences are about positioning and whether or not you can take the alpha or need to avoid it, there are precious few actual choices to juggle.

At the end of the day, I like them as compared to Brutes because I like doing consistently high damage. Non minions in this game always kind of feel like damage sponges (unless you're a Blaster), so hitting a target and always doing a chunk is rewarding for me.
    And Stalkers are great, but anything they do better than Scrappers they also do better than Brutes, they're just in a really good place right now.

Glal on
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Yeah it's been a big blow-up today about it, all the content creators are either quitting or moving to other servers. Unfortunately the 4chan server is seeing a lot of popularity :/

Had a bad moment there until I realized you didn't mean members of the actual HC team.
    IMO, streamers are not "content creators". They aren't creating anything, just recording and broadcasting themselves playing what someone else has made.
    But then, I'm an oldbie from the Before Time.

Commander Zoom on
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    You may also know them as influencers. Or screamlords.

uyvfOQy.png
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    I mean, that's okay? But everyone gets to 'I ain't dyin'' levels with a suite of support.

But yeah, I would pin it on it being too simple. Tanks manage aggro and position to herd enemies, Brutes basically do the same with additional Fury management, Stalkers have a combo system that lets them crit Assassin Strike mid-combat, etc. Even Blasters have consistently high damage that they can spike with their Nova abilities, and I can't emphasize enough how much fun the Snipe changes have added, practically giving Blasters a ranged Assassin's Strike.
    Well, I sort of figured "and I ain't dyin'" was implying that it was in situations where most other classes would die. Like, eat some candy, lower the difficulty (have support debuf them, be incarnate, etc etc) and any AT can win a fight, but that's not really a meaningful statement.

I also don't find stuff like fury management to be anything of the kind? What's there to manage, you keep fighting until you endurance runs out, then you lose it as you recover, the play style is exactly the same as any other melee class. This isn't DMC where you can use your range attacks to keep the combo meter high (if only). If you have enough resources to use your attacks to keep fury going then you would have been doing that as Scraper also.
    Basically, every damage class in this game can be played as "keep doing your most effective damage chain until your health or endurance runs low", the only real differences are about positioning and whether or not you can take the alpha or need to avoid it, there are precious few actual choices to juggle.

At the end of the day, I like them as compared to Brutes because I like doing consistently high damage. Non minions in this game always kind of feel like damage sponges (unless you're a Blaster), so hitting a target and always doing a chunk is rewarding for me.
    And Stalkers are great, but anything they do better than Scrappers they also do better than Brutes, they're just in a really good place right now.

Ok

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
    Crippl3 wrote: »

Had a bad moment there until I realized you didn't mean members of the actual HC team.
    IMO, streamers are not "content creators". They aren't creating anything, just recording and broadcasting themselves playing what someone else has made.
    But then, I'm an oldbie from the Before Time.

I mean, they are making content, but whatever :rotate:
    Regardless, hoping that stuff like this helps out other servers besides the shitty one, like Rebirth where I made some characters on last night just to try it out. It's weird playing the vanilla game again, Issue 24, as opposed to the new expanded super-streamlined and easier Issue 26. Like, there were costume parts locked and no P2W vendor, it was weird getting used to it again lol

(and before you try to blame it on me being a kid or something, I'm almost 32 and I've been watching streams and youtube for years)

Streamers create plenty of attraction and attention, and signal boost games.

I can understand why they are doing this for the moment, because NCsoft must be treated like a delicate flower ("What?! You're letting people earn money on twitch streaming OUR game?!"), but it should be a rule that gets struck the instant they obtain the license, because what the fuck are you doing, otherwise.

• guruslothgurusloth Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Streamers create plenty of attraction and attention, and signal boost games.

I can understand why they are doing this for the moment, because NCsoft must be treated like a delicate flower ("What?! You're letting people earn money on twitch streaming OUR game?!"), but it should be a rule that gets struck the instant they obtain the license, because what the fuck are you doing, otherwise.

they've basically said as much, that the rules regarding VODs and streaming are only planned to be in effect while the rights negotiations are ongoing

gurusloth on
  • TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    it should be a rule that gets struck the instant they obtain the license

The problem there, of course, is the assumption that they'll get the license. I don't see anything good coming out of these talks.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
    Well, the servers have been public for a year not been taken down yet, if that's all the talks are getting us then that alone is a pretty good prize.

• TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    On another subject, beta patch also now integrates asymmetrical gloves and boots, woo!

image.png.5a8c73d6154064a5244214ab6153501b.png

Is done with a toggle and it doesn't break existing costume files, unlike the work at OuroDev. Spoilered for size:
    asym-3.png.14b9491fdc92f33a4373a4027a6393b6.png
    Yeah yeah double peglegs (that apparently everybody wants) are coming on the next beta build.

TryCatcher on
    Excellent. My personal pet wish is a better colour picker. The default one is 80% full saturation clown choices, and the skin one is more limited besides. The damned thing is, the colour is already stored as RGB (well, GRB or something) in the costume file, the main limiting factor as far as I can tell is that the costume creator can't handle managing them.

TamerBill wrote: »
    it should be a rule that gets struck the instant they obtain the license

The problem there, of course, is the assumption that they'll get the license. I don't see anything good coming out of these talks.

Neither do I, because NCsoft is a big baby.

But the attempt should be made.

• knight11eknight11e Registered User regular
    Welp, I am playing this game again, god help me

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I highly doubt they are getting anywhere in their “talks”; I spose I could always be surprised but it seems like such a long shot

I can’t imagine cox has much of a stream audience anyway

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    I highly doubt they are getting anywhere in their “talks”; I spose I could always be surprised but it seems like such a long shot

I can’t imagine cox has much of a stream audience anyway

Given that NCSoft holds all the cards, the only reason why HC is still active is because if they start hitting servers the one left will be...ugh...the 4chan one. Because people sure want to play on the server that has a selling point of "You can say the n-word in chat" and can't support over 100 players.

Outside of the Internet Lawyer Talk, since I kinda just make chars whenever, running an Illusion/Time Controller through Praetoria, even though I've cleared Praetoria multiple times already.

Magical Fox kinda yakuza lady because, well, you can:
    1495c3255fe7473d786d83bec011c60e.png

• knight11eknight11e Registered User regular
    Is the PA group used to organize TFs and stuff? Or is it mainly for social stuff?

• Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    knight11e wrote: »
    Is the PA group used to organize TFs and stuff? Or is it mainly for social stuff?

I'm not sure how much we are all on. I'm on every other day or so, but crippling altitis keeps me from getting far. I use the PA SG as a fast travel location and resource storage bin.

Speaking of, all of the bins are pretty much full.

• see317see317 Registered User regular

It's mainly to get access to the base, the teleporters in the base and the stash of crafting materials for IOs.

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    The Penny Arcade chat channel is what you need to talk to us awesome folk no matter what

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    Moridin889 wrote: »

I'm not sure how much we are all on. I'm on every other day or so, but crippling altitis keeps me from getting far. I use the PA SG as a fast travel location and resource storage bin.

Speaking of, all of the bins are pretty much full.

I think I'll make a list of the commonly wanted salvage, and get rid of anything not used for the basic generic IO stuff.

I've been keeping the IO bins topped up with 25s, but to be fair I'm usually the one emptying them to slot up my alts. (or Glal. Or one of our usual playgroup)

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
    Ringo wrote: »
    The Penny Arcade chat channel is what you need to talk to us awesome folk no matter what
    Well, your Location just had me dig up and reread that thread again. Thanks.
    Not being sarcastic, it's the best.

edited March 2020
    MassivelyOP has the details about a very possible reason of why HC deployed their no streaming rule:
    It’s likely that the new policy stems from the incident earlier this year when a popular streamer used Homecoming servers to recreate The Hulk and other copyrighted characters, resulting in action from NCsoft (and it’s no wonder NCsoft is touchy about this, given its history of litigation with Marvel). Readers will recall that the servers already block copyright-infringing characters and had previously told players that they streamed at entirely their own risk, suggesting they avoid it entirely while negotiations with NCsoft took place (which is why we put a halt to ours). It is our understanding that negotiations are still ongoing.

This is why we can't have nice things. And the flavors of "How dare people to want nice things, we should all roll on the filth and like it" sure don't help, though they are just a loud minority.

TryCatcher on
    So, been playing quite a bit of City of Heroes on the weekend. My troller is at level 32, got all Task Forces but Numina and got the Atlas accolade. Did some costume changes, picked the flying pool so wanted something a little more flowy:
    a6ca3fd59793cda4438774539648b9d4.png

Here she is with everything on, powers are green and orange:
    64e298e7d684f6761ffa0498699fa6a9.png

OK the April Fool's gag on Homecoming is pretty good.
    You should log in and try hitting something with Brawl :)

YR8WGPh.png

only one of these is a lie

• GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    Also, Experimentation and Electrical Affinity are both live. That latter is a real source of stress if you're still running missions where Clockwork exist. It's all "Agh! Friend sparks or foe sparks? I CANNOT SAY!"

Probably a bit of a pain against Freakshow too. Or Arachnos. If you want to try it, make it orange, yellow, or green maybe? Or bright purple. Or pink.

Or maybe hold off a month and start one of the other support people you've been meaning to try out? Teams will appreciate the diversity.

edited April 2020
    Glazius wrote: »
    Also, Experimentation and Electrical Affinity are both live. That latter is a real source of stress if you're still running missions where Clockwork exist. It's all "Agh! Friend sparks or foe sparks? I CANNOT SAY!"

Probably a bit of a pain against Freakshow too. Or Arachnos. If you want to try it, make it orange, yellow, or green maybe? Or bright purple. Or pink.

Or maybe hold off a month and start one of the other support people you've been meaning to try out? Teams will appreciate the diversity.

On the other hand, right now is a very good time to get stuff done since for once you can get teams filled with support instead of the usual overdosis of melee.

On updates, got to level 36 and have Task Force Commander. An important thing is the Nemesis Plot event going on, it works like this:
    • Nemesis attacks a location. Is broadcast on Global, so you can see it.
    • Go in, ask for a League, find the place on the location where the Nemesis enemies are spawning.
    • Kill Nemesis until the Giant Monster Nemesis spawns.
    • Kill it and....
    1fefb4eb43b7b61e74aa81aae2171c66.png

Is theoretically a good place to kill Fake Nemesis for the badge, but god damn things take a while to spawn so other methods are still faster.

TryCatcher on
    edited April 2020
    A small change that had to be segmented on it's own feedback thread:
    2f3c041694e1dd27843d092a092e1b02.png

Thread on the General Forums is at 32 pages or so of very stalwart defenses of trickle-down economics because their imaginary money output got reduced. Is hilarious. "But I will have less money to give away". Uh huh.

TryCatcher on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    it won't really change anything anyway; prices have barely moved on HC in a year despite dudes farming to their hearts' content. The way they've structured the economy makes it basically impossible for anything to be 'overpriced' (in the sense of costing more inf that you can easily get doing regular level 50 things.) Converters mean that almost all IOs settle at a low median price, with only purples, ATOs and pvp stuff costing more. And even those are buyable for 100 merits a pop, meaning the price of any IO on the market is effectively capped at about 25 million.

the really funny/sad thing is that according to some usage data the HC folks posted a while ago, the preponderance of level 50 playtime has kinda overwhelmingly been done by brutes/tanks with fire armor. It turns out the fire farm is just the gameplay people like, I guess

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Or they don't like it per se, but have been conditioned (by other games and/or the previous, live version of this one) to believe that they "need" to.
    Keep pecking that lever.

Commander Zoom on
    I just get merits doing content. >_>

ew9y0DD.png
  • DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    its not jsut for money. Take for example the recent electric affinity power. People are trying it. I'm trying it, its fun. However, leveling is slow the normal way doing missions, and it gets repetitive. So people log on to their second account that consists of a fire farmer and level themselves up. And level their friends up too, when their friends see them on their farmer.

And that happens pretty much every time some people make a new character.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
    I have 40+ alts and prefer playing lower level content (thus, the alts), so my merit and inf income is comparatively low for how much playtime I get logged. I ended up making a fire farmer a couple of weeks back, just to be able to kit out my stable when they eventually hit 50, or to buy that one unique that is just useful throughout.

I also have no problems with the double XP inf changes.

Electrical Affinity's rez has the best animation choice in the game.

ew9y0DD.png
    I dunno; the way 45+ stuff is on homecoming I’d probably just stay at 40 forever if I could finish builds there. Everything dying in a furball or judgment powers isn’t super exciting.

I typically make plenty of inf just from running the WST and selling converters, plus whatever minimal 50 stuff I happen to do

NREqxl5.jpg
    I honestly find I have way more fun in a team of 3-5 people, because at that level even incarnated 50s can have a fun challenge at x8/+4 if they're not super-IO-optimal.

Very much enjoying a 4-man team with my Rad/MA Tank, Glal's Rad/Sonic Defender, a BM/Rad Corruptor, and a Fire/Time Controller.

ew9y0DD.png
    So, updates:

First off, level 50:
    6059ada7a1105cfbac021184fba05e50.png

Overall, the leveling rate gets insane if you have multibox farming accounts or people willing to farm for you. Saw a Veteran Level 10 Electrical Affinity character around the 24 hour mark that said set got released.

Rest of us plebs, I managed to sneak on several +4 ITFs and PI missions/radios since last week and got there last night, and got Task Force Commander on the way. Also, stripped bare my Corruptor since pretty much don't play him anymore. Water Blast has great AoE, but the single target is pitiful and that was really, really annoying. Wouldn't recommend it without a secondary to fix that plug, like a Blaster secondary (hear that Fire and Time are good) or, I don't know, Poison or something. So my Controller also has all his purps too.

On a somewhat related stuff, the AH is still a pain in the arse to use. 10 stack limit is a joke when you are selling around 600-700 converters and the prices have a tendency to not load. But that's over and done with. To Incarnates!

TryCatcher wrote: »
    On a somewhat related stuff, the AH is still a pain in the arse to use. 10 stack limit is a joke when you are selling around 600-700 converters and the prices have a tendency to not load. But that's over and done with. To Incarnates!

You're part of the goddamned problem!!!!111oneone

ew9y0DD.png
    edited April 2020
    Eh, Purple enhancements aren't cheap, so got to do what you got to do, since is either that, even more interaction with the AH or farming.

3h and 14 min, but did Dr. Q's Wild Ride since is the Weekly Task Force aka you get 244 merits. Still got to buy Assemble The Team and the Mission Teleporter, but those are worthwhile investments on a main,
    ca9546e9e99b482d5bb9949f0c6cbe60.png

Still unlocking Incarnate slots, next ones are Lore and Destiny. Which are very important since is not only two massive cooldowns, but they also apply a Level Shift.

TryCatcher on