As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Sea Fox merchants buy PGI lostech using Terra-based shell company

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Iolo wrote: »
    I scraped together cash to buy three parts of a Star League Marauder from the store. It's a heat sinking monster, of course. I think I like the extra autocannon hardpoints too much to give up the stock model...? Anyone got a SL Marauder build they like (in BATTLETECH)?

I wanted to get a Griffin too when I saw one, but couldn't scrape together 30 million. In my careers these days, I am a filthy pirate-appeaser. Here in this campaign, though, they are not too fond of me. :wink:

* Gauss Cannon++, 2 tons of ammo
    * 2x ER PPC++ (+10 damage) or 2x Large Pulse Laser++ (+10 damage)

Heatsinks and exchangers to taste (IIRC I have just one...edit: 20% exchanger). Re-balance armor to better protect the side torsos. Probability of single salvo headshot kill against unprotected targets: 70%. Best when matched with a second Marauder built for maximizing number of shots (e.g. 3x UAC/2++, 4x MLas++, 2x ER SLas++) to clean up the targets in the treeline.

Alternately, if you can get your hands on 4 Large Pulse Laser++ (+10 damage, -1 ton), you can go 4x LPulse, though the number of salvos you'll get off before overheating is...limited.

The ER PPC build has the advantage of being a true sniper. You can reach out and touch someone as long as you have LOS to them. The range is also long enough you'll have 95% probability of connecting against most enemies. You only get a few salvos on martian biomes however.

Orca on
    Also I just got a Star League era Griffin, and holy cats! I can comfortably fit 2 PPCs on it without overheating. 2 PPC +10 damage and an SRM6 makes for nasty weapons fit. If I had enough Large Pulse Laser++ or ER PPC++, I'd use those instead and turn it into a bunny-hopping head-shot machine for those scenarios where I'm restricted to lights. Oh well, most of the firepower of an Awesome in a medium mech is nothing to sneeze at.

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    It's been a while since I've posted one of these for MWO:
    6 kills and 952 damage in an SRM Arctic Wolf
    g2l2euk3lfd6.jpg

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Whoa, they totally changed the...
    "try to rescue Darius" mission.

Different start point, different OpFor, different stay-in-this-spot parameters at the end. I guess they got complaints about that one, or looked at player data that people were bouncing off the game there. It was challenging, in that last phase, where quite a bit of tonnage came down on you while your lance was pinned to that area to "get the data transmission." I think it's quite a bit easier now. Definitely caught me by surprise.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020

Different start point, different OpFor, different stay-in-this-spot parameters at the end. I guess they got complaints about that one, or looked at player data that people were bouncing off the game there. It was challenging, in that last phase, where quite a bit of tonnage came down on you while your lance was pinned to that area to "get the data transmission." I think it's quite a bit easier now. Definitely caught me by surprise.

You didn't need to stay in the data transmission area. I never did. All that happened was the clock stopped ticking down but I preferred to just kill the OpFor and then wait in peace, a fair bit easier like that. It was hard enough even that way though - my lance always got noticeable structure damage in the mission.

Mirkel on
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Someone may have posted this already, but ...

https://characters.battletech.com/search?query=oosik

Teehee. :D

From the latest backer update, there's a new website where people who bought canon characters from the Clan Invasion kickstarter can search to see their details. It's not 100% complete yet, as things are getting uploaded in batches, but it's still pretty damn sweet. Gotta get my notes section fixed, though.

Elvenshae on
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Someone may have posted this already, but ...

https://characters.battletech.com/search?query=oosik

Teehee. :D

From the latest backer update, there's a new website where people who bought canon characters from the Clan Invasion kickstarter can search to see their details. It's not 100% complete yet, as things are getting uploaded in batches, but it's still pretty damn sweet. Gotta get my notes section fixed, though.

Just coming here to post this! Six Oosiks so far!!!

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.

Attack and Defend is now quite a bit easier. I've done a bunch of them, and so far no hostile turrets, ever, and the first reinforcement lance drops something like 12 turns out instead of 5. So if you're quick about killing, it's no longer as nasty.

Target Acquisition is less irritating as well--you still need to move fast, but you aren't getting pounded by 2+ lances at a time. Definitely need at least two mediums to make your deadline though on most maps. Even better, in the retreat phase, it's not LOL GAME OVER if you don't make it to the extraction point; you just get a reinforcement lance hounding you until you get there.

There's also a fun new mode where you get 3 consecutive lances dropped on you in short order and the win condition includes extracting all four of your mechs, but the hostiles generally have shoddy armor, so it's easy to wreck them. Might be more challenging early.

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    I always thought it a bit dumb that those Target Acquisition missions specifically mention overwhelming reinforcements are coming if you don't reach the extraction point in time, but rather than the game actually doing that, where you might still succeed at the cost of additional damage, it's just an instant loss.

I wish the game supported mission state tracking so you could have more interesting narrative things like a TA mission where pilots that didn't make the extraction window were captured which could trigger a follow-up rescue mission.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
    Remember how the previous patch seemed like it upped the AI difficulty? I think they lowered it back down in this patch. Generally speaking, unless I absolutely whale on a hostile with one mech, they'll all shoot at the closest mech to them, rather than the mech that's the most damaged, out of cover, etc.

Anybody else notice the same, or was the previous "AI difficulty" just bad luck?

edited March 2020
    Also, has the Black Widow always had this Widow's Kiss ability? It utterly cripples your movement and applies a big debuff to your accuracy :bigfrown:

edit: WTF, the Bounty Hunter can bypass your armor? :bigfrown: :bigfrown:

Orca on
  • SproutSprout Registered User regular
    The key to that mission is to head up on the ridge to the left of your spawn. That’ll give you high ground and put the Widow’s lance between you and the Bounty Hunter’s. You should only have to take on 2 of Kerensky’s mechs and by the time you’re done with those the remainder will have softened each other up nicely.

edited March 2020
    It’s not hard to beat—without real damage even—but the special abilities were an unpleasant surprise that caused more damage than I expected to take in the first time through.

Orca on
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Orca wrote: »
    Also, has the Black Widow always had this Widow's Kiss ability? It utterly cripples your movement and applies a big debuff to your accuracy :bigfrown:

Yes, and Yes.

And yes, they are both the hottest bullshit.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    Nips wrote: »

Yes, and Yes.

Ha, I though it was just the game saying, "Look you, with your called shot shenanigans and your tricked out mechs, this is what it feels like to fight you" :)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    edited March 2020

Yes, and Yes.

Ha, I though it was just the game saying, "Look you, with your called shot shenanigans and your tricked out mechs, this is what it feels like to fight you" :)

I could use a few more missions like that. Keeps you honest. :D

I went waltzing right into the middle of the two because hey, I have called shot and have done that against multiple lances before with nothing to show for it but 8 decapitated mechs on their side, and superficial damage on my side. No problem!

While I'm busy mulching mechs, the Bounty Hunter proceeds to blow the side torsos off both Atlases, taking out 4 gauss cannons and 4 Large Pulse Laser++. I mean, I finish the mission, but given how long those took to accumulate...RESET!

Orca on
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    When I ran that mission, I did exactly what @Sprout described.

Why put yourself between two packs of hungry wolves, when you can let the wolves eat each other and make wolf pelts from the remains?

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    When I ran that mission, I did exactly what Sprout described.

Why put yourself between two packs of hungry wolves, when you can let the wolves eat each other and make wolf pelts from the remains?

I'm pretty sure I did that the first time (when Heavy Metal first came out), but that was because I only had an 18% chance of getting a headshot, and I was going for pure headshots. So no problems back then.

This time when I first went in it was full of overconfidence because there's nothing the game can throw at me that a couple ER PPCs to the head can't fix, and an Atlas can take an unreasonable amount of abuse, so no problem!

I openly admit I was stupid this go-round. :D

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    MWO:

So who is available for Oosik Night tonight? I'm planning on firing up my reactors and shooting some robots.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    VoodooV wrote: »

The Internal Security Force has deemed this holovid as Subversive Propaganda created by the honorless Lyran Commonwealth in order to corrupt loyal Combine Citizens. To all citizens who have witness this fabrication please report to the nearest Bureau of General Indoctrination office for reeducation.

Remember, if it didn't come from the Bureau of Official Information then it is lies.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    MWO:

Oosik Night is now live. Since nobody is on right now I'm going to make the 3RAC2 Shadow Hawk.

@Erlkönig @TOGSolid @Elvenshae

oosik_betsuni.png
    Thank you for joining me @Erlkönig in trying to sync dropping. Too bad we only were on the same team once, but at least we had some funny matches running our Sun Spiders and ended with a Roughneck match up (which Erl took out my XL engine). He did take me out twice which was fun as well.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Crossposting from the Critical Failures (tabletop) Battletech thread:

Speaking of reddit, "A Mad Cat is just a Catapult with some Marauder arms bolted on"
    1vvy1yud9sg5.jpg

Favorite comments from the thread:
    Fine, I'll build my own Mad Cat! With blackjack and hookers!
    Kirsala wrote:
    Hookers? What kind of 'Mech is that‽
    It's exclusive to the Magistracy of Canopus.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I won't lie, that looks suspiciously like a Catapult with Marauder arms bolted on.

edited March 2020
    I won't lie, that looks suspiciously like a Catapult with Marauder arms bolted on.

We shall call it a Catamar! :razz:

Axen on
  • Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    Battletech and the DLC is currently on sale at gog.com

• TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    I had a mission go way south and lost two mechs (yes, Dekker was in one of them) so I'm looking for some loadout advice. What builds would you suggest for a Shadow Hawk SHD-2H and Centurion CN9-A.

Tertiee wrote: »
    I had a mission go way south and lost two mechs (yes, Dekker was in one of them) so I'm looking for some loadout advice. What builds would you suggest for a Shadow Hawk SHD-2H and Centurion CN9-A.

My preferred loadout in the 55 ton early game, assuming the equipment is available, is 760 armor, AC/5, Large Laser, SRM6, jump jets. Then just jump around the edges of the battlefield sniping fools and working for side and back shots. An alternative loadout puts a bunch of LRMs on the Centurion. The biggest problem with the default mechs is they don't put ammo in the legs, and their armor tends to be both too low and not optimized correctly (my usual is side torsos with more armor than arms, legs with maybe a little armor than the side torsos, center torso with the most armor, head maxed out, back armor in the 25-45 range). I find anything with less than 720 armor tends to get beat up pretty badly on a regular basis, so my norm is 720-760 in the medium era. In the heavy era, my preference is for a minimum of 920 armor, and prefer 1120.

If your lights are what you lost...well...yeah, that shit happens. Try to armor them up as much as practical, but they don't have the loadout and they're going to get pretty beat up unless you're clever and keeping fast. The latest updates to the AI seem to make it prefer the opponent that is closest, so don't make that a light, even if it has a shitload of evasion. Unless you're about to unload a righteous backshot on some fool.

MWO: PGI is giving away a free hero mech, mech bay and 14 days of premium time.

Code: STAY_SAFE_2020

https://mwomercs.com/news/2020/03/2396-free-hero-mech-bay-14-days-premium-time

oosik_betsuni.png
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »

You buried the lede.

They're not just giving away any hero mech (obviously)

They're giving away the Wolverine Quarantine hero 'mech.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    Tox wrote: »

You buried the lede.

They claim it is the best Hero medium mech in the game, but we all know that is the Yen-Lo-Wang.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

You buried the lede.

They claim it is the best Hero medium mech in the game, but we all know that is the Yen-Lo-Wang.

That's a funny spelling for Bounty Hunter II.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    Erlkönig wrote: »

You buried the lede.

Medium.

oosik_betsuni.png

You buried the lede.

Medium.

Pre-coffee brain believes Marauders are mediums.

...makes for weird Scouting matches.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    What? Marauders are barely heavy infantry.

The best mech for scouting is the Atlas, but even then, one Atlas isn't enough. Gotta be four of em for proper recon.

You buried the lede.

Medium.

I knew I'd catch someone when I said that (which is why I put in the word Medium). You just happened to be the one.

But we all know you are our filthy Clanner so we'll let it slide.

oosik_betsuni.png
    MechMantis wrote: »
    What? Marauders are barely heavy infantry.

The best mech for scouting is the Atlas, but even then, one Atlas isn't enough. Gotta be four of em for proper recon.

Indeed! Scouts always find the enemy first so you need to make sure they can handle themselves!

You buried the lede.

Medium.

I knew I'd catch someone when I said that (which is why I put in the word Medium). You just happened to be the one.

See, even restricting it to mediums, I think I'm more fond of the Arrow than the Wang.

edited March 2020

You buried the lede.

Medium.

See, even restricting it to mediums, I think I'm more fond of the Arrow than the Wang.

But... The... Wait...

More proof that Clanners do not have any sense of humor.

Actually I remember the Arrow being destructive on the battlefield with its 6 machine guns. Till the Arctic Cheetah and Mist Lynx did it better (and Piranha). I miss seeing the Arrow.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png