As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Learning winter sports in your mid-30s ?

2»

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    Also - when you're thinking "maybe just one more run...." That means you're done. Nearly all of my injuries come from end of day runs where the muscles are too cooked to respond.

Yeah my worst skiing injury was a combination of 'maybe just one more' and 'yeah let's do this jump to finish off the day'

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    We usually go a few times a year. There is a risk of injury but that goes with any sport.
    There is a small chance you will break a wrist or blow out your knee. I've broken a collar bone and once had a small hairline fracture on a femur. My step mom tore her ACL this year.

You should still do it. Also, people ski in their 80s. Mid 30s is not old.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    My dad learned to snowboard in his mid 40s, when me and my sister got snowboards

he got wristguards, because one occasionally does break a fall too hard with your wrists when the snow is hard, and there's a lot more kinetic energy with a 2 metre tall middle aged man than in a ten year old. And it's really hard not to break a fall on a snowboard with your wrists compared to skiing.

I took to wearing them too after a while, on days where the snow was extra, er, english term for hard icy crust on snow, it's just more comfortable even if I didn't feel I was really risking breaking my wrists.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    BasarBasar IstanbulRegistered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    My dad learned to snowboard in his mid 40s, when me and my sister got snowboards

he got wristguards, because one occasionally does break a fall too hard with your wrists when the snow is hard, and there's a lot more kinetic energy with a 2 metre tall middle aged man than in a ten year old. And it's really hard not to break a fall on a snowboard with your wrists compared to skiing.

I took to wearing them too after a while, on days where the snow was extra, er, english term for hard icy crust on snow, it's just more comfortable even if I didn't feel I was really risking breaking my wrists.

Thanks and agreed, any recommendations on the wrist guards?

i live in a country with a batshit crazy president and no, english is not my first language

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Basar wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »

Thanks and agreed, any recommendations on the wrist guards?

the specific models I remember are ancient, but something with hard plastic in them, generally a la

128298_11341.jpg

(which is a more or less randomly chosen GIS result for the kind of wrist guards in the same category)

so I can't really help with a specific model, except suggest that a snowboard or skating shop - they're usually the same kind of place - will have just the thing.

A lot are also like this

rekd-wrist-guards-eo.jpg

which I think are more meant for skaters - since that bulge is excellent for wear and tear against asphalt, but just an annoyance to get gloves over. The first one seems like they make it easier to use your hands relatively normally, which is good since there's some fiddling to be done with snowboard bindings.

so if you've got a store nearby, I'd recommend just going there and bringing the gloves and jacket you wear and see how they fit with it.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    Also - when you're thinking "maybe just one more run...." That means you're done. Nearly all of my injuries come from end of day runs where the muscles are too cooked to respond.

this is the most important thing

just quit while you're ahead, it's always wise

that's how i hurt my knee

and also how last week i caught an edge on a flat cat track and gave myself a mild concussion (it wasn't the steep stuff and the trees that did it, it was just being fatigued and careless on an easy bit)

poo
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Ok, what brand of helmets are y'all using? My Boeri is in need of a replacement because after 10 years of non-use apparently my head is more oval than it used to be so I have a pressure point at my front hairline.

I'm trying to avoid dropping $200 on one, but I may hunt for sales over the next month. To be clear, if it gets any use this season, it'll be maybe one day.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Ok, what brand of helmets are y'all using? My Boeri is in need of a replacement because after 10 years of non-use apparently my head is more oval than it used to be so I have a pressure point at my front hairline.

I'm trying to avoid dropping $200 on one, but I may hunt for sales over the next month. To be clear, if it gets any use this season, it'll be maybe one day.

I use a K2 Diversion. I got mine heavily discounted, for like $50? It's a real comfortable helmet, though

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    I like the Bern stuff, fun colors and modern looks.

But if you want to be the king of the mountain: https://protecbrand.com/collections/full-cut-certified/products/full-cut-skate-gold-flake-certified-2017

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »

Whatever fits your head. Each has a bit of a different shape

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    If you find your front foot getting sore earlier than everything else, that's a good sign you need to tighten your boot.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    BasarBasar IstanbulRegistered User regular
    Don't want to bump an old thread and annoy the moderators but last week I went for my 2nd snowboarding trip! 3 days last year, 3 days this year, and I am officially snowboarding without too many falls, hehe!

So IT'S DEFINITELY DOABLE. If there are any other 35+ year olds, don't be afraid. Just take a few lessons from a good snowboard instructor! And I am a big guy, so anyone shorter/slimmer than me should have it much easier!

Here's my slow ass snowboarding: https://streamable.com/bhh21z

:)

i live in a country with a batshit crazy president and no, english is not my first language

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    This is the best kind of bump.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Video lacks a good yakkety sax moment, but awesome that you got out there and are doing it!

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    I learned to snowboard in my 30s. Poorly. Going to try skiing when they turn the Apocalypse off.

I advocate for anyone learning a sport, young and old, to have a copy of How to Become a Supple Leopard by Dr. Kelly Starr. It tells you how to safely stretch and massage every body part, and nurse just about every physical therapy injury on your own. My physical therapist and personal trainer both use the book. Listen to him on everything except his one-size-fits-all squats.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767