As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Coronavirus] Thread - SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

19495969798100»

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    It's a standard, meaningless line.

I'm located smack dab in the worst of it in my state right now. San Francisco and Santa Clara have an increasing number of cases, and people are coming down with COVID without any contact with known infected individuals.

My county is still telling people "the public’s risk of exposure is relatively low" with every single update, despite the walls obviously closing in.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    This is the current assesement:

For the majority of people, the immediate risk of being exposed to the virus that causes COVID-19 is thought to be low. There is not widespread circulation in most communities in the United States.
    People in places where ongoing community spread of the virus that causes COVID-19 has been reported are at elevated risk of exposure, with increase in risk dependent on the location.
    Healthcare workers caring for patients with COVID-19 are at elevated risk of exposure.
    Close contacts of persons with COVID-19 also are at elevated risk of exposure.
    Travelers returning from affected international locations where community spread is occurring also are at elevated risk of exposure, with increase in risk dependent on location.

Point 1 doesn't apply to either of you. Still a bit...over optimistic though. We don't have enough testing to be confident about exactly where it is.

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    So apparently as early as January of this year, Doctors in Seattle were attempted to test for the virus. But they were refused the ability to perform the test.
    Dr. Helen Y. Chu, an infectious disease expert in Seattle, knew that the United States did not have much time.

In late January, the first confirmed American case of the coronavirus had landed in her area. Critical questions needed answers: Had the man infected anyone else? Was the deadly virus already lurking in other communities and spreading?

As luck would have it, Dr. Chu had a way to monitor the region. For months, as part of a research project into the flu, she and a team of researchers had been collecting nasal swabs from residents experiencing symptoms throughout the Puget Sound region.

To repurpose the tests for monitoring the coronavirus, they would need the support of state and federal officials. But nearly everywhere Dr. Chu turned, officials repeatedly rejected the idea, interviews and emails show, even as weeks crawled by and outbreaks emerged in countries outside of China, where the infection began.

By Feb. 25, Dr. Chu and her colleagues could not bear to wait any longer. They began performing coronavirus tests, without government approval.

What came back confirmed their worst fear. They quickly had a positive test from a local teenager with no recent travel history. The coronavirus had already established itself on American soil without anybody realizing it.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I’m definitely a high-risk candidate

I head back into the hotzone for a six-day stretch tomorrow

Obviously if anything happens to me, @spool32 and @Belasco32 get all my games and books, divvying them between my niece and nephews as they see fit. Atomikid gets everything else.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Hm, I should hit up my manager tomorrow and see what stuff I need to do to be set up to telecommute. Probably gotta get remote access and a card reader at the very least. Should probably get it done before it hits and there's a rush on it.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »

Obviously if anything happens to me, @spool32 and @Belasco32 get all my games and books, divvying them between my niece and nephews as they see fit. Atomikid gets everything else.

You kid but I'm in there high risk abdnmay have been exposed. Smoker all my life, quit, but shitty lungs. I'm scared shitless. And my mom who's 63 and has lung issues.

Everyone has been acting like it's no big deal, I keep saying it is, now it may be in my house.

I'm scared as hell

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    RickRude wrote: »

You kid but I'm in there high risk abdnmay have been exposed. Smoker all my life, quit, but shitty lungs. I'm scared shitless. And my mom who's 63 and has lung issues.

Everyone has been acting like it's no big deal, I keep saying it is, now it may be in my house.

I'm scared as hell

I'd try not to think about it dude. Other than you need to to take reasonable precautions. The stress is going to weaken your immune system, aside from it being a miserable way to live. I'm not happy either, but we got no control over who lives and dies, other than hygiene and limiting contact with other people for a bit.

Giggles_Funsworth on
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »

I'm scared as hell

I'd try not to think about it dude. Other than you need to to take reasonable precautions. The stress is going to weaken your immune system, aside from it being a miserable way to live. I'm not happy either, but we got no control over to lives and dies, other than hygiene and limiting contact with other people for a bit.

I'm trying not to but I'm a wreck. Especially with everyone else acting like it's no reason to worry. I feel like my whole house should quarantine

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Reasonable worry is always proper.

I’d try to stay motivated like if you did get this there’s an overwhelming chance you’ll feel shitty and then be fine two weeks later. Even for you as a risk group person that’s the likeliest of likely paths. If you are a risk group person chances are you’ve survived worse recently.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    Reasonable worry is always proper.

I’d try to stay motivated like if you did get this there’s an overwhelming chance you’ll feel shitty and then be fine two weeks later. Even for you as a risk group person that’s the likeliest of likely paths. If you are a risk group person chances are you’ve survived worse recently.

This is actually worse than the flu by all accounts.

Still, we're kinda lucky, so far. MERS, another coronavirus respiratory disease, had a case fatality rate of 34%.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.