As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Star Wars Outer Rim PbP - Perform rim jobs for credits

MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
edited March 2020 in Critical Failures
pic4967654.jpg

"Find a crew, find a job, keep flying."
-Totally Star Wars

Star Wars - Outer Rim

Rules

1-4 Players compete in a race to become the most famous rogue in the (original canon) Star Wars outer rim and stand above the other scum & villainy.

Goal- Become the first to reach 10 fame points.

Turn
Planning step-
Move (up to your ship's hyperdrive value)
OR
Recover all character & ship damage
OR
gain 2000 credits
OR
special card action (will say "planning" on card)

Moving- Move a number of spaces up to your ship's hyperdrive value. Must STOP on red (maelstrom) spaces, or spaces with patrols (npcs) belonging to a faction you do not have positive reputation with.

Patrol ships move after a player buys a market card, and the replacement card denotes movement. Move the listed faction patrol that many spaces toward the player.

Action step-
Perform any or all of the following actions, up to once each

Trade: trade cards with any player on your space (credits may be exchanged regardless of locations)
Market: if on planet, may buy card from market deck
Deliver: drop off bounty/cargo card on planet
Resolve action ability: resolve card that denotes "action" on it

Encounter step-
Resolve single encounter in your space

Buying from the market
(optiona) discard the top card of one of the market decks (place the card facedown on the bottom of the deck). Then reveal the top card of that market deck and place it on top of the deck. This allows you to cycle cards in the deck to either find cards you want to buy or deny your opponents.

You may then choose to buy one card. It can be the card on top of any market deck. After you buy a card, reveal the top card of that market deck and place it on top of the deck. Each market card has a credit cost in the top right corner (sometimes 0 credits). To buy a card, simply spend the amount of credits listed here (see “What Are Credits?” on the left). Then place the card under your ship sheet or player board in a slot that matches the card’s type. For example, if you buy a cargo card, tuck it partially under one of the “Cargo” slots on your ship. Each slot can hold one card. If you do not have an empty slot of that type, you may discard one of your cards to make room.

Cards in the ship market deck are usually new ships. When buying a ship, retrieve its ship sheet from the supply of unused ships. Your current ship sheet is returned to the supply, and the new ship is placed with its “Ship Goal” side faceup (shown on the left side of the sheet). Remove all damage from your ship, and keep all cards such as cargo, crew, and mods, placing them in the appropriate slots of your new ship.

When buying a card, you may discard any of your cargo, gear, or mods to reduce the cost by the discarded cards’ cost. Place the discarded cards on the bottom of their market deck.When buying a ship, you always barter your existing ship and use its cost (shown in the upper left corner of the ship sheet) as a discount toward the ship you are purchasing. You cannot gain credits back when bartering, you can only reduce the cost to a minimum of 0 credits.

Encounter step
Player must choose one of the following encounters

Encounter a Patrol: Fight a ship combat against a patrol token in your space. If you have negative reputation with a patrol in your space, you must choose to encounter it and you cannot perform other types of encounters.

Encounter Your Space: Draw an encounter card matching your space.•

Encounter a Contact: Reveal and encounter a contact token on your planet. This will let you resolve a specific databank card that often provides crew.

Resolve an Encounter Ability: Some card abilities are preceded by the bold word “Encounter.” Simply resolve the ability on the card.

Combat
You and your target both roll dice equal to your combat value (ship's if in space, character's if on planet). Player takes damage to hull (ship) or health (character) equal to number of hits (crits count as 2) the enemy rolled. Non-players have no health values. Win/loss is determined simply by which side rolled more hits. Attacker wins ties. (note: level 4 patrols automatically defeat players. The faction is now throwing around firepower that a simple rogue can't hope to match. No more local local bulk-cruisers, mind you. I'm talking about the big Corellian ships now).

A player is defeated when his health/hull hits zero. Flip your piece to its side and lose 3000 credits. Your next turn, you must use your planning step to recover damage.

Personal Goals
All characters and ships start with a personal goal. When completed, collect the reward and flip the card, giving you access to a new ability.

Reputation tracks
Each player has 4 tracks to show his reputation with the factions, with 3 positions each track:.

Positive
Neutral
Negative

Certain effects will denote + or - to a reputation track, moving it up (+) or down (-) one space, i.e. + moves neutral to positive), or negative to neutral

Dice are d8
1-2: blank
3-4: eye
5-7: hit
8: crit

081t1n45gmi9.png

MrBody on

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Signup to 4. Each player choose a starting character, then one of the 2 starter ships.

(red= combat dice
    yellow = health)
    (Han's skills are piloting and tech)
    nx3vw9bhevh0.jpg

(green = hyperdrive value)
    b4vp92mslgcp.jpg

MrBody on
  • Options
    People can just choose their starters as they sign up. I don't think it's a big deal and it'll save time.

• Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    I've never played, but looks interesting!

So, Sign Up!

I'll take:
    Character: IG-88 (Robot bounty hunter!)
    Ship: G-1A Starfighter

• Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    I'm interested. Can I take Bossk and a G1A please?

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    Good thing Xerxes didn't get IG-88!

• Options
    I was waffling on signing up, but would have done IG if I'd signed up earlier. Networked Intelligences have a long history of not going genocidal.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    In lieu of Greedo, guess I'll play Han in a G9 Rigger

discrider on
  • Options
    Bossk is close to Greedo?

Yeah though, really weird they included him and not the green skinned bounty hunter who actually had a speaking part.

• Options
    Alright, that's 4!

I'll get this started tonight.

• Options
    I'm guessing he'll be a contact?
    Also looks like you can't get a bounty on starting characters too, which is no fun either.

• Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    That's good for the rest of you. Your frail bodies are more vulnerable when compared to this unit's capabilities.

• Options
    Starting order, 1-4 based on signup order.

geth roll 1d4 for 1st player
    geth roll 1d3 for 2nd player
    geth roll 1d2 for 3rd player

1st player:
    1d4 4 [1d4=4]
    2nd player:
    1d3 1 [1d3=1]
    3rd player:
    1d2 1 [1d2=1]

• Options
    I'm now contractually obligated to say 'Never tell me the odds' and roll exceedingly well, aren't I?
    'Never tell me the odds'

• Options
    1st Discrider 4000 credits
    2nd jdarksun 6000 credits
    3rd Chrysis 8000 credits
    4th AustinP0027 10,000 credits

• Options
    Woohoo, I'm rich! Sort of?

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Hpu3K0p.jpg

Market
    m4zu7pu0qbpv.jpg

Discrider 4000 credits
    oe8byiqd08xc.jpg

jdarksun 6000 credits
    zi8yj6dg96s5.jpg

Chrysis 8000 credits
    deap6et5978c.jpg

AustinP0027 10000 credits
    fvnklalttjy4.jpg

@discrider

MrBody on
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Had to split the board into 2 screenshots then paste them together. I hope the two connected paths in the middle is apparent to everyone?

And apparently the only red space (must stop on) on the board is to the left of Kessel.

MrBody on
  • Options
    What's the second word on Nal Hutta's deck?
    Credits and ?Bounties?

• Options
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    discrider wrote: »
    What's the second word on Nal Hutta's deck?
    Credits and ?Bounties?

Bounties, yes

MrBody on
  • Options
    Fly to Nal Hutta.
    Take the market action and discard the top card of the wrench deck @MrBody

• Options
    Damn, I wanted to buy that :)

• Options
    qtvococjpl7p.jpg

• Options
    Buy the shield upgrade.
    Encounter Nal Hutta I think. Probably get pinged for negative hutt

• Options
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    fv5sf2ptzndy.jpg
    @discrider
    bet amount (0 or 1000), then roll 1d8

new market for next player
    t2z10lm65dk1.jpg

MrBody on
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Never take money to a Hutt planet that you're afraid to lose.
    Geth roll 1d8 for 1000 credits

1000 credits:
    1d8 5 [1d8=5]

discrider on
  • Options
    I blame Get, eater of dice.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Can't do updates until tonight, but I think @jdarksun should be good to go. The market image three posts above is the current one

MrBody on
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    First time playing this game, but if I'm reading the rules correctly - where are the contact tokens? It says there are supposed to be one on each contact space on the map, but I'm not super clear on where those are.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    The 2 "mugshot profile" circular tokens next to each planet. If you choose a contact encounter, you pick one to flip over and resolve. They are secret until then. They also have different categories noted by the colored bar under them (to help narrow down tracking a certain target).

MrBody on
  • Options
    OK, I think I got it.

1. Planning Step - gain 2,000 credits
    2. Action Step - Market - skip discard, buy Food Supplies (cargo)
    3. Encounter Step - Encounter a Contact - Tatooine / Yellow

• Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    OK, I think I got it.

You also get to move the Hutt patrol 3 spaces towards you for buying Food Supplies.
    I think they only have to take the most direct route if they can reach you that turn, so you get to place it either in The Ring of Katrene or the nav point below it, by the looks of it.

• Options
    discrider wrote: »
    jdarksun wrote: »
    OK, I think I got it.

You also get to move the Hutt patrol 3 spaces towards you for buying Food Supplies.
    I think they only have to take the most direct route if they can reach you that turn, so you get to place it either in The Ring of Katrene or the nav point below it, by the looks of it.

I think that's based on the next card that's drawn.
    After you buy a card from a market deck, you must reveal the top card of that market deck. If there is a patrol movement icon on the revealed card, you must move that patrol. Note that you only move patrols using these icons after buying or gaining a card from a market deck, not after discarding a card.

• Options
    Yup, it goes by the replacement card drawn after a purchase (ignored for discards).

• Options
  • Options
    aaq3omdchucd.jpg

• Options
    edited March 2020
    We also need to flip the cargo deck, to see if there any patrol movement @MrBody

discrider on