As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's Party Thyme in the [PLANTS] Thread!

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    1dtz6r9kfc7a.png

Begonia, you beautiful beast, it's time to trim you down and actually pinch you back properly so you bloom. I've seen the weird alien flowers your clone brothers make when mom doesn't let you get all leggy and wild like this.

jv1kubic5ja1.png

Godspeed, old friend. We'll not see your like again.

3n9koq3hqupn.png

Oh, wait. What I meant is that you propagate from clippings like a methed-up hydra and I'm already making four more of you to hand out to my friends.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    i'm getting ready to harvest the last fo my summer veg and work on the winter veg.

I've got 3 broccoli going and 5 brussels sprouts. Looking at getting some more potatoes in for Winter and maybe some radishes

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    I need to read up on how to propagate a few plants...I'm nervous - I've never done it before, but it seems pretty easy...?

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I need to read up on how to propagate a few plants...I'm nervous - I've never done it before, but it seems pretty easy...?

It's surprising how many plants you can get away with "hack a bit off, shove it in the dirt".

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    I've got a pineapple slip that I've been trying to get to form roots for nearly a month with little success. It's still decent looking so I hope it's just being slow.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    vBHkqkth.jpg

CxcWX4Lh.jpg

IT BEGINS

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    5 brussels sprouts plants and 3 broccoli plants are in soil.

going to go grab some radishes and more seed potatoes today. trying to lay in the winter garden.

• Options
    Oops.

I bought some cauliflower plants and radish seeds.

And bulbs. So many bulbs. They had a *fill a paper bag for $20" bin of daffodil bulbs at the store.

Oops.

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    ...so I had $100 gift certificate to the local nursery

2020-03-07%2017.18.13.jpg

Okay: So I have bought three peace lilies from this nursery in the past, all smallish ones. Two died, but one is thriving. My original assumption was I had overwatered two of them (although really I watered them all the same...) but when I threw them away they didn’t have root rot, then later I used one of the pots for a plant at work and that plant died too, so now I think there was something in the potting soil I used.

Anyway, since I don’t think it was my fault they died I bought another peace lily, but a giant one this time. That’s top-left in the photo.

My existing peace lily (top right) has some very healthy new growth!

I bought a philodendron (bottom left) and a leprechaun Chinese Evergreen (bottom right)

2020-03-07%2017.18.37.jpg

Three of these are cat damaged plants that are in plant hospital!

Top left: tooth marks in my pinstripe plant, oops.
    Top right: through a mix of cat and too much sunlight, this fern was almost completely killed. But all of this green is new growth and it is recovering! Yay!
    Bottom left: Mori’s mom gave me a maidenhair fern that her cat had eaten. You can see some new growth on this one, too!
    Bottom right: this isn’t cat damaged. I just wanted to show off the string of pearls’s growth!

2020-03-07%2017.20.37.jpg

I repotted more plants!

The beautiful glossy plant with a hint of deep red is a different variety of philodendron.

There’s also jasmine, purple passion, a tiny lipstick plant (since my one at work is growing so well) and a couple of others there.

The bottom photo is a prayer plant that Mori’s mom gave up on and which seems to like my house better.

• Options
    I don't want to panic you, but you've got a bird in your house.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    That's just Gerald. He's cool.

• Options
    I actually went into the zoo's gift shop a couple of days ago in hopes of purchasing a house hippo to put in one of my plants.

They had none. But the area they would have been was all jumbled and poorly labeled, so it took me some time to establish this.

So from the perspective of the cashier, a large bearded gentleman came into the shop on a Thursday morning, glared at the plastic animal figurines for several minutes, and then left without speaking.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    So I have more plants than I have spots for plants

This will require a restructuring of the insides of my house today

• Options
    One of my tomato plants has sprouted. The rest of these bastards need to catch up.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    I saved some jalapeno seeds from my crop last year. I'm thinking of trying to germinate them to get them ready for summer. I won't be able to plant them outside until around mid-late may. I do have a decent LED grow light though, so i can give them a good head start.

Also my legal weed plants are doing hella good, i have 3 flowering right now

One is purple :D

Al_wat on
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    One of my tomato plants has sprouted. The rest of these bastards need to catch up.

Why I oughta...

• Options
    Woke up this morning to a lemon balm peeping out. Also I think I goofed with the cat grass. I probably should have spread all the seeds in a single larger pot. Good excuse to go back to the nursery this week.

This was also the first morning I turned the grow light on before sunrise and my house was illuminating the street when I left for work.

• Options
    Came home to green onion sprouts! That's six out of twelve of my plant types.

HURRY UP CATNIP I WANT MY CATS TO GET HIGH

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »

Also my legal weed plants are doing hella good, i have 3 flowering right now

One is purple :D

Would you say they're growing like weeds?

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    I got my cat on video rolling around and sniffing our catnip this weekend.

• Options
    Um

I might have gone overboard with the butter head lettuce seeds. There are so many sprouts that they're lifting up a sizable chunk of potting soil with their leaves.

• Options
    Quid wrote: »
    Um

I might have gone overboard with the butter head lettuce seeds. There are so many sprouts that they're lifting up a sizable chunk of potting soil with their leaves.

Guess it's butterhead lettuce from here on out, buddy

butterhead lettuce forever

• Options
    eJaukREl.jpg

So yeah. Butter head germinates very easily. I learned something new!

• Options
    LAVENDER

BOOM

• Options
    My Radishes are sprouting!

I'm so excited!

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    And bulbs. So many bulbs. They had a *fill a paper bag for $20" bin of daffodil bulbs at the store.

Oops.

Daffodils are starting to sprout here and I'm so excited. There was a giant overgrown clump of daffodils by the house, too tightly packed to bloom, where I when I dug them up to separate I was pulling up upwards of 30 bulbs a shovelful. I ended up scattering a few hundred around the area.

I've also seen crocuses blooming though mine are still just coming up.

I'm usually a wildflower person but I do very much appreciate spring bulbs after the winter.

• Options
    i'm just going into autumn/winter down here. so I've a few months to wait.

but I'm going to be very excited when they start to surface, I tell you.

• Options
    I talked to my plants this morning and told the ones that hadn't sprouted yet that if they didn't catch up to their siblings soon, there would be consequences.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Look at my baby jalapeno, I love it and will kill for it.

K4S6p1Kl.jpg

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Gaaaah I have so many plans and I need the weather to hurry up (and also more time/money)

- want to curve out the beds in my front yard more and edge them. I’d like to try my hand at roses and there’s a sunny spot I think would be perfect for them.
    - In the back yard I have garlic that’s growing well. I trimmed back the mint and lemon balm. My shady bed needs weeding and I need to fill it with more plants, probably more bleeding hearts and fuchsias.
    - My blueberry bushes have lots of buds. I only planted them last fall so the plan is to not let them grow berries this year so I end up with sweeter berries next year.
    - I pruned the raspberry bush to encourage it to branch more.
    - I dug out a new bed and scattered wildflower seeds and poppy seeds in it.
    - Wisteria is still doing excellent. My fig tree is still tiny but budding.
    - I’m getting an enormous cedar bed from my inlaws as well as 9 large bags of soil for it. Gonna be getting carrots and potatoes and also lots of tomato plants from my inlaws, too.
    - This weekend my MIL is picking up: Douglas aster, Indian plum, kinnikinnick, Salal and wild ginger from a nearby bare roots native plant sale and she’ll share with me.
    - I’m going to start a ton of zinnias and sunflowers indoors.

• Options
    I'm waiting for spring, too. I need to divide and repot my biggest plants, and I absolutely cannot do that in my kitchen sink like I can with the smaller ones. :razz:

• Options
    I've got cilantro today. At this point I think all that's left is the catnip, jalapenos, and parsley.

• Options
    They do best in sunny but will still grow in partial shade, just not as big.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    Gaaaah I have so many plans and I need the weather to hurry up (and also more time/money)

- want to curve out the beds in my front yard more and edge them. I’d like to try my hand at roses and there’s a sunny spot I think would be perfect for them.
    - In the back yard I have garlic that’s growing well. I trimmed back the mint and lemon balm. My shady bed needs weeding and I need to fill it with more plants, probably more bleeding hearts and fuchsias.
    - My blueberry bushes have lots of buds. I only planted them last fall so the plan is to not let them grow berries this year so I end up with sweeter berries next year.
    - I’m getting an enormous cedar bed from my inlaws as well as 9 large bags of soil for it. Gonna be getting carrots and potatoes and also lots of tomato plants from my inlaws, too.
    - This weekend my MIL is picking up: Douglas aster, Indian plum, kinnikinnick, Salal and wild ginger from a nearby bare roots native plant sale and she’ll share with me.

Roses are great, and they're tough as hell. If you decide you've pruned them completely wrong you can, for example, just cut the whole lot off near ground level and wait a while, and a new rose bush will grow from the little stump you left.

• Options

Roses are great, and they're tough as hell. If you decide you've pruned them completely wrong you can, for example, just cut the whole lot off near ground level and wait a while, and a new rose bush will grow from the little stump you left.

Is there a "right" way to do rose pruning? I've mostly just heard the above but not like what you should be doing before you fuck it up.

I like to ART
  • Options
    Doodmann wrote: »

Is there a "right" way to do rose pruning? I've mostly just heard the above but not like what you should be doing before you fuck it up.

Unless you're pruning it to a 'standard' shape (ball on a stick), you just want to keep it to a size you are comfortable with, prevent it from choking itself out and becoming a spindly sticky tangled mess, and ensure it flowers as much as possible to maximise the colour and scent you get from it. Always prune directly above a bud or minor branch that is growing in the direction you want (leaving excess past the bud or branch will result in a dead brown stick which is ugly and leads to that spindly sticky mess I mentioned before), and be sure to "dead-head" (cut off all the dead and dying flowers) your roses at least fortnightly (preferably weekly) during flowering season.

As an example, my parent's rose garden out the front of their house had become a horrible overgrown mess over the last few years after my Dad's stroke, and last month I went over there and absolutely hammered it. Fucking massacred every bush down to about a third of it's previous size and thinned them WAY out, to just a few major branches growing in the directions I wanted so that they could "bush up" again and flower as prolifically as they used to. I should have taken pictures before and after, because the difference was stark. However, this Spring and Summer they will grow very aggressively, and next Spring and Summer they will flower like they're on crack, and the garden will be back to it's previous splendour and state of easy care.

• Options
    Kamiro wrote: »
    I need to find some partial shade plants.

and by partial, I mean no sun after 2pm. unless maybe summer sun works a lot different?

If they're getting sunlight from dawn until around 2:00 that's not bad.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    I thought my shaded bed was fully-shaded until summer hit and it turns out it gets quite a bit of afternoon sun in the summer months!

Where do you live, Kamiro? I can tell you what’s grown well in my shaded beds but I’m in PNW so my recommendations may not work for your area.

Janson on
  • Options
    Anyone know what this might be?

sp6R4Ph.jpg

I like to ART
  • Options
    It looks like a sunflower.

Which is also what my plant identifier app said!