As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The thread for things with more/less than two legs (NSF ento/arachno/ophidiophobes)

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Are Australian spider hunting wasps as scary as the ones in Africa? The ones in Africa will aggro extremely easily if you get near them while they have a spider and have been known to chase people substantial distances to sting them.

They also make a very distinctive, loud noise when flying, so it's easy for them to make an entire group of people panic just by flying past.

Even though the article is from my hometown, I actually don’t recall ever encountering hunting wasps. Most of our native insect species aren’t terribly aggressive, but I know very little about the larger wasps.

• Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    By far and large, spider hunting wasps are solitary animals without a hivemind. They usually aren't as agressive as they value their own survival above a (nonexistant) hive. I do not know about these specific African hunting wasps.

Africanized honeybees are terribly agressive of course, but i don't think you would mix those up.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    African honeybees are totally chill. It's only the mix of them and American bees that produces the rage.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    African honeybees are totally chill. It's only the mix of them and American bees that produces the rage.

They're not very chill at all. The East-african lowland bee (which africanized bees are hybridized from) have the same defensive response as africanized bees with wider defensive radius, overkill response and long pursuit.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Well, the African bees I encountered were chill. I guess there's more than one kind of African bee.

• Options
    Well, the African bees I encountered were chill. I guess there's more than one kind of African bee.

If so you probably encountered stingless bees (melipones) as the western honey bee (of which the east-african lowland bee is a subspecies) is the only apis (honey bee) species outside of Asia.

Melipones is a much more varied clade, with several hundred different variants that can be found all over the earth (although they rarely produce enough honey that they attract honey-raiders, human or otherwise).

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    I definitely encountered stinging bees, but thanks for assuming I don't know what I'm talking about. I assisted with a project testing whether fixing beehives to trees would prevent elephants damaging those trees. Had to go up to the hives and pour pollen on top to feed the bees in winter. Hazardous, but no scarier than if I'd been doing it with English bees.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    English bees get mad if you're late with tea.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Dirtyboy wrote: »
    English bees get mad if you're late with tea.

They're still very polite about it though.
    "Pip pip, cheerio, sorry about the sting ol' chap. Guess that'll serve to remind you what time tea is. Now, I best get along with perishing and all that rot."

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I definitely encountered stinging bees, but thanks for assuming I don't know what I'm talking about. I assisted with a project testing whether fixing beehives to trees would prevent elephants damaging those trees. Had to go up to the hives and pour pollen on top to feed the bees in winter. Hazardous, but no scarier than if I'd been doing it with English bees.

Well you have the whole wicker man thing for English bees which is a bit trickier to deal with

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited January 2020

Africanized implies they are not regular African bees. I am of course referring to the africanized western honey bee.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
  • Options
    Mating frenzies, sperm hoards, and brood raids: the life of a fire ant queen - Walter R. Tschinkel 5:18
    https://youtu.be/RNdouBNrnM0

• Options
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Went to a beach today. Saw dozens and dozens of washed up Portuguese Man of Wars.... Portuguese Men of War?
    po01z4au2sn0.jpg

They were really tiny so I guess we witnessed a baby massacre?
    2vmgglnq8dzc.jpg

There were also lots of snails which seemed to be eating them
    5mcl7rms4pqs.jpg

Nature is so weird

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Huh. I've heard about how sea turtles eat Man of Wars, but I guess I can add snails to that list now.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Huh. I've heard about how sea turtles eat Man of Wars, but I guess I can add snails to that list now.

I'm pretty sure that a snail will eat anything that sits still long enough for the snail to take a bite.

• Options
    Have you ever heard of Tortoise beetles? They're a subfamily of Leaf Beetles known for their often translucent and absolutely crazy carapaces.

Say hello to Aspidomorpha sanctaecrucis, the Golden tortoise beetle.
    Screen%2Bshot%2B2011-03-29%2Bat%2B7.36.07%2BPM2.png

This little fella looks even crazier when viewed from above.
    61511866._B8I46492.jpg

But believe it or not, goldie over there isn't the only supermodel bug in the family, many other tortoise beetles are just as stunning.
    Imperial Tortoise beetle
    uybemarb6xi41.jpg

The aptly named, Golden Target Tortoise beetle
    tumblr_p5njoqcZN61wr1e48o1_500.jpg

Golden Tortoise beetle (Charidotella sexpunctata). Like a lady beetle went lady gaga.
    ULRZELLZ1LMRHH0R3Z2RQH2R3Z2R1L0ZZHQRFZ0R3ZRZCLERHHPRALFLAL7ZZHPRRHERHHQZSH5ROZRZJZIR6LFLAL.jpg

Acromis sparsa is pretty colourless and transparent under normal light. Under UV light it's a completely different deal.
    26118338447_22a3b50d2c_b.jpg

As you might have noticed, the acromis genus is known for its funky-looking elytra. This handsome devil being an Acromis spinifex
    12844553213_5f85b08f1a_b.jpg

• Options
  • Options
    Went to a beach today. Saw dozens and dozens of washed up Portuguese Man of Wars.... Portuguese Men of War?
    po01z4au2sn0.jpg

They were really tiny so I guess we witnessed a baby massacre?
    2vmgglnq8dzc.jpg

There were also lots of snails which seemed to be eating them
    5mcl7rms4pqs.jpg

Nature is so weird

You back in the uk or still in Africa? Those look like bluebottles - the Southern Hemispheres‘s close relation to man’o’war, which are quite a bit smaller. (or maybe they’re babies)

My dogs also eat them, because they’re dumb as butts.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    there was a wee little jumping spider on my wall the other day so i coaxed them into a cup and took them outside but then spent a good... oooh... ten minutes or so trying to get them out of the cup. i must have looked pretty interesting if any neighbors were watching. just some big doofus shaking a cup around in their garden and then looking inside it and then shaking it around some more until they suddenly went YEAH THERE YOU GO BUDDY and raised their fist in triumph before crouching down to just stare at some fuckin leafs or whatever for another few minutes before going back inside.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Video of today’s very cool fat snake which I’m putting in here in case people get freaked out about snakes

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    dang must be ground squirrel babies nearby or something that's crazy

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Yeah they nest in the rocks so I assume it had babies around or something. It kept running back to one spot and then coming out again to harass the snake.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
  • Options
    cbdo90yuashx.png

Good news! The spider friend who lives in the emergency exit nook has successfully overwintered in their tiny little spider tent.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Glasswing Butterflies Want To Make Something Perfectly Clear | Deep Look 5:24
    https://youtu.be/LYxTyMF9k_4

Ever wanted to be invisible? The elusive glasswing butterfly knows just how to do it. Its transparent wings, covered in an anti-glare nano-coating, help it hide from its predators in the rainforest. We dedicated this episode to Debbie Ford, the mother of butterfly researcher Aaron Pomerantz who we see in this episode. Aaron’s mother passed suddenly shortly before the episode was completed.

• Options
    Guys i just read about the panamese pet frog-keeping tarantulas!

Or the panamese pet tarantula-keeping frogs...

Anyway i had no idea this symbiosis existed!

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    My daughter got some pet beetles.
    The blue death fainting beetle is Mr fuzz ball. The darkling beetle is either Lucilla or Lingo. Lucilla is bigger, but I can't tell without their counterpart which is which. The other one is under the log.
    vgwmp2ljqwo7.jpg
    jja8gyrnbn1t.jpg

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
  • Options
    1kz5xk9pgkxr.png

The tiniest, babiest praying mantis I've ever seen is currently on the roof of my shed.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    bwanie wrote: »

I've seen photos, and I'm pretty sure it's the tarantula that's keeping the frog in this relationship.

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Cicada coming out of its shell above my door:

emKfPVQ.jpg

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    i like how the little leg bits look like the cicada is going TA-DA!

• Options
    see317 wrote: »
    bwanie wrote: »

I've seen photos, and I'm pretty sure it's the tarantula that's keeping the frog in this relationship.

I know, i was joking since the frogs also reap multiple benefits.

Yh6tI4T.jpg