As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hades] is King of the Scythe and the Sword

• AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Helps with the duo prophecy

• GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    The Judge wrote: »
    I must suck at this game. While I've arrived at the final fight a couple of times (and been a sliver off), I'm on try sixty-something and still haven't escaped.

Nowhere NEAR the amount of blood needed to do anything other than a single upgrade per weapon.

I should just cave and look at specific build examples rather than do what feels right at the time.

EDIT: Also . . .

Quote of the Patch

'Nyx, whom the Romans called Nox, is a scarcely personified abstraction... Alone she spawned a large and generally unpleasant brood that included Moros (Doom), Thanatos (Death), Hypnos (Sleep), the Fates, and Nemesis.' ~Crowell's Handbook of Classical Mythology (E. Tripp)

Have you considered playing in God Mode and getting scaling damage resist as you die? Nothing else changes about it, you're just a little tougher.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Whoa Nyx got hot

Got?

steam_sig.png
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Unf this game is so fucking good

Sad the keys are basically useless vendor trash though, now that I have every weapon unlocked

• Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Dang, just lost my 13 clear streak. I blame the terrible Arthur blade build I ended up with and swapping over to all the new mirror perks. Losing the double dash seriously sucks.

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Excalibur fucks.

I ate an engineer
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    Excalibur fucks.

I just have basic bitch Excalibur and can confirm this sword porks

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I crit something for 3360 damage.

I ate an engineer
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Whoa Nyx got hot

Got?

She was a generic cloaked figure last time I actually played this!

2x39jD4.jpg
    Whoa Nyx got hot

Got?

She was a generic cloaked figure last time I actually played this!

Thatsthejoke.jpg

steam_sig.png
    I had enough darkness to max all but the reroll darkness sink option at the bottom, so I turned them all on, and got that prophecy taken care of in one run. Not sure how I feel about all of them.
    The obols one is better overall, but only if you never hit up shops.

steam_sig.png
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Hey y'all

This game's a blast

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I had enough darkness to max all but the reroll darkness sink option at the bottom, so I turned them all on, and got that prophecy taken care of in one run. Not sure how I feel about all of them.
    The obols one is better overall, but only if you never hit up shops.

I like it for runs where I’m using the Convenience Fee pact, as I tend to avoid/reroll gold reward chambers and save what gold I do get gold until Styx unless forced into a shop sooner.

You only need to carry a total of 666 (lol) in total forward, split across all 3 biome transitions to break even.

The original get 100 moneys buff is useful if you are having trouble early game for some reason

But I think I got to Elysium on my 3rd run so clearly I'm not that person

edited March 2020
    azith28 wrote: »
    I must suck at this game. While I've arrived at the final fight a couple of times (and been a sliver off), I'm on try sixty-something and still haven't escaped.

Nowhere NEAR the amount of blood needed to do anything other than a single upgrade per weapon.

I should just cave and look at specific build examples rather than do what feels right at the time.

Well, what gives you the most trouble? what weapons have you unlocked?

Every weapon unlocked. Been to Hades with four of them - think I'm missing the rail gun.

I know you can trade for Titan Blood, but the option never rolls in when I have the right material.

Mirror is maxed on everything that matters. Maybe I just need to take boss fights slower. Twice against Hades, I've had sliver-of-health-vs.-sliver-of-health and said fuck it and charged and got rocked.

@The Judge

Quid's tips for beating Hades:

- Use the bow and try to get flurry shot from a hammer. You lose the power shot but get a much more consistent rate of fire and damage as well as don't have to stand still to shoot. Hera aspect is especially useful. Otherwise this lets you keep out of his range of most of his attacks.
    - Try to grab the Hermes dash boon. Hades' spin attack can be tough to dodge with only two dashes.
    - Focus on upgrading the attack damage for your bow. Athena's especially. It's not as much damage as the other boons but it means you can spam arrows that reflect the skulls he throws.
    - The other boon to look out for is Dionysius's festive fog for your cast. With Hera's aspect on the bow your arrows effectively become a tactical nuke. Another good one is Aphrodite's boon which lets you turn its short range attack in to a long one.
    - Once you have your damage set, focus on increasing and keeping your health. Hearts, chaos boons, shops selling hearts and health, etc. In that same vein, the lucky tooth is a very useful keepsake to take in to the fight.

All in all, a Hera's aspect bow with the right boons and upgrades is a broken, glorious sight to behold.

For the battle environment, know that when a skull explodes it can't reach the whole map from one side. Try to keep yourself positioned withing dashing distance to the small alcove on the left since it's the easiest to hide behind during his beam attack.

Quid on
    edited March 2020
    I almost always take the broken spear point to Styx, it is so unbelievably useful against poison and beams, both of which are abundant on that floor (the final boss spams beams too!)

joshofalltrades on
    Ugh, I usually don't have much trouble with Hades, but twice now I've gotten wrecked while trying to get the clear with Ruthless Reflex on. It's so much harder dodging his big attacks with only a single dodge that doesn't have the range to get away

Steam ID
  • The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

Giving this a ride now. No aspect, but took Orph's trinket for distance, the special is now a 300% charge hitter, got Dio's festive cast, Poseidon on the dash, and Ares chipping in on the 'if your attack or special kills something, the next target is toast' bonus.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Ugh, I usually don't have much trouble with Hades, but twice now I've gotten wrecked while trying to get the clear with Ruthless Reflex on. It's so much harder dodging his big attacks with only a single dodge that doesn't have the range to get away

While this is true, Ruthless Reflex + Hermes extra dashes boon is niiiiiiiice

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Did my first escape!

Artemis on attack + Divine Dash, and that's a bow with the rapid fire upgrade. Made it easy to reflect those skull attacks for chunks of damage. Also had a lot of HP (300+) with Positive Outlook and reduced damage in festive fog. Didn't even need Skelly's last life. It also helps that I got like 4-5 Chaos upgrades thanks to some Charon shops and the Egg enabling back-to-back visits without risk.

YL9WnCY.png
    Fearghaill wrote: »

While this is true, Ruthless Reflex + Hermes extra dashes boon is niiiiiiiice

But up until that point it’s uuuuuugggghhhhh

• The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular

Giving this a ride now. No aspect, but took Orph's trinket for distance, the special is now a 300% charge hitter, got Dio's festive cast, Poseidon on the dash, and Ares chipping in on the 'if your attack or special kills something, the next target is toast' bonus.

Cleft-in-twain by The Minotaur after the 50th time I forgot I wasn't packing the shield and therefore had no block. But it was working before I was an idiot, so, yay?

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
    Having to decide between a chaos portal or daedalus hammer is painful

Steam ID
  • godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Why, did they finally make chaos portals good or something?

Chaos portals have always been good

If it’s between a chaos portal and a hammer I will always take the portal unless I haven’t taken any hammers and I’m in Elysium

The game will always give you 2 hammers per run, unless you intentionally keep skipping them or rerolling them

So as long as you have 1 by the end of Elysium, you’ll get the second in Styx for sure

Chaos boons can potentially break the game if you play your cards right!

Cleft-in-twain by The Minotaur after the 50th time I forgot I wasn't packing the shield and therefore had no block. But it was working before I was an idiot, so, yay?

OSC6MQC.png

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Chaos portals have always been good

If it’s between a chaos portal and a hammer I will always take the portal unless I haven’t taken any hammers and I’m in Elysium

The game will always give you 2 hammers per run, unless you intentionally keep skipping them or rerolling them

So as long as you have 1 by the end of Elysium, you’ll get the second in Styx for sure

Chaos boons can potentially break the game if you play your cards right!

So can hammers. You really, really want the triple dash strike with aspect of Guan Yu.

Unrelated, Artemis' seeking arrows fire with each punch when using the fists. Finally there's a weapon it's insane on.

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    The seeking arrows are great with the adamant rail too!

Punching+Hermes' attack speed+Pretty much anything that procs is phenomenal.

You don't even really need the Hermes part but it's super nice.

Punching+Hermes' attack speed+Pretty much anything that procs is phenomenal.

You don't even really need the Hermes part but it's super nice.

For when you really want to feel like one of those animes where the character punches so fast they don’t bother animating the arms, just a dust cloud with fists on the end

Also Chaos portals are great and 90% of my runs start with the Egg in Tartarus unless it’s like, a butterfly run or something

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    My hermes boons in order of 'gimme dat' are + dashes, then + % to dodge, then usually +% attack speed. While i agree that athenas dash is the best with this option, no matter my other options, more dashes are always going to be worth doing.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Fists + Aphrodite's attack boon makes you shoot pink hearts with your punches and getting to become Heartful Punch was not something I expected out of this game but I love it.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
    Has anyone progressed the orpheus/euc questline yet? I got to give both of them another nectar, which maxed them out to the 'keyhole' heart, but have had several runs since and seen no movement on the quest.
    Some things said by hades/nyx and the opening of the administration door probably means i will get the option to go into the room, find his contract and destroy it, but I'm wondering if there is a trigger im missing. every time i return, i check out every room, talk to everyone.

for an example of how gamebreaking the chaos boons can be, my current run just left Tartarus with an Epic Artemis Special (lv4. +20% crit, +108% damage), Epic Hermes Special (+30% speed) and a Chaos boon adding another +87% damage on top of that and I am just uppercutting through everything.

Not every Chaos boon is going to be great for every build, they won't ever make a bad build good, but they will absolutely push good builds into ridiculous.

azith28 wrote: »
    Has anyone progressed the orpheus/euc questline yet? I got to give both of them another nectar, which maxed them out to the 'keyhole' heart, but have had several runs since and seen no movement on the quest.
    Some things said by hades/nyx and the opening of the administration door probably means i will get the option to go into the room, find his contract and destroy it, but I'm wondering if there is a trigger im missing. every time i return, i check out every room, talk to everyone.

The contractor unlocks it for 3 diamonds. Dunno if there's an actual requirement to make it appear in their menu.

I forgot to mention that my winning run had +300% damage on distance enemies which is real good against bosses with a rapid fire bow.

YL9WnCY.png
    I've had a bunch of Orpheus-related events but no actual work order yet

I got Nyx's work order for 8,888 darkness though

Jesus Nyx, hope you enjoy your special time with mom... dad... them?

I've had a bunch of Orpheus-related events but no actual work order yet

I got Nyx's work order for 8,888 darkness though

Jesus Nyx, hope you enjoy your special time with mom... dad... them?

shit... well at least you can always just respec the mirror at the cost of a key and get all your darkness pack. i maxed out all but the fate options but don't think ill use a bunch of them.

Hade is a lot harder without a deflect. Yeesh.

Also, I finally switched Special from Q to Shift after a run with a beefed-up Fist Special. Really...hurts the pinky after a while.

YL9WnCY.png
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I have a sneaking suspicion a dev used a recording of their cat for the "purring" sounds the chariot enemies make while idling.