As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Homeward

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited March 2020 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Homeward

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Shades of Calvin's dad here

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    shadowysea07shadowysea07 Registered User regular
    I do feel that unless kids are going into a field that will use any of the math they learn that it'd be better to just teach them how to balance their check book and call it a day.

• Options
    swaylowswaylow Registered User regular
    I really love the skull question mark in panel 3. I don't know why, exactly, but it makes me smile.

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    I do feel that unless kids are going into a field that will use any of the math they learn that it'd be better to just teach them how to balance their check book and call it a day.

While I might agree about something like calculus, geometry (and trig) is so basic that I think you might as well teach it. Everyone from carpenters to tailors to game programmers can make use of it.

Of course, ALL kids should be taught basic life skills as well.

• Options
    MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular

Everyone learns addition and subtraction. Anyone who has those and a handful of IQ points can balance a checkbook.

Do kids even have checkbooks anymore?

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    dennis wrote: »

While I might agree about something like calculus, geometry (and trig) is so basic that I think you might as well teach it. Everyone from carpenters to tailors to game programmers can make use of it.

I'd add Statistics. Even just Stat 1 helps make people more savvy about random "a study says this" reports.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited March 2020

I've heard people talk about balancing chequebooks all my life and I still don't know what it means

I haven't been hauled up in front of the magistrates or arrested by the banking police, so my only conclusion is that it either doesn't matter all that much of is some kind of quaint American tradition like cheese on apple pie

I also haven't written a cheque in at least five years

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    What's a chequebook?

• Options
    Like a checkbook, but for pounds shillings and d rather than dollars and cents

For when you have to pay your char lady her annual stipend of one guinea, or the scullery maid requires a tanner for the boot black, or it's Bob a Job week and you're low on shrapnel but you need your Anderson shelter tidied

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular

Trig not so much, but Geometry is legitimately something pretty much every trade uses.

15, 30 and 45 degree cuts and pipe angles. Severity of a curve. Solving for the other side of an angle across a plane. It’s a solid skill set for reading plans and specs.

• Options
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    I'd add Statistics. Even just Stat 1 helps make people more savvy about random "a study says this" reports.

Maybe wrap it up in "media intelligence" and cover how to spot hoaxes, conspiracy theories and general (*sigh*) fake news.
    zepherin wrote: »
    Trig not so much, but Geometry is legitimately something pretty much every trade uses.

15, 30 and 45 degree cuts and pipe angles. Severity of a curve. Solving for the other side of an angle across a plane. It’s a solid skill set for reading plans and specs.

By trig, I was referring to the very basics of geometry as it refers to triangles. Not really any advanced stuff.
    I've heard people talk about balancing chequebooks all my life and I still don't know what it means

It's an outdated term (like "dialing" a phone), but it really just means balancing your accounts and budgeting your expenses versus income. Know how much money you have coming in and going out so you live within your means and hopefully even build up some savings.

• Options

It's an outdated term (like "dialing" a phone), but it really just means balancing your accounts and budgeting your expenses versus income. Know how much money you have coming in and going out so you live within your means and hopefully even build up some savings.

Well, that's disappointingly mundane, but thanks for clearing that up

I thought it was something more, I don't know, accountingy

• Options
    edited March 2020

Well, that's disappointingly mundane, but thanks for clearing that up

I thought it was something more, I don't know, accountingy

Well, balancing accounts is kind of the bedrock of accounting, so there's that.

Edit: Wait, maybe it's that you're confusing accounting with something else. It doesn't involve capes and drinking the blood of the living, you know. Okay, maybe not the capes.

dennis on
  • Options
    It's not like compiling a set of t-accounts and an eight-column extended trial balance, I guess is what I mean

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    My grandparents used to have envelopes of inbound and outbound money - Coal, Ice Man, Pay, etc. and line them up so each was covered for the month.

Used to be a bigger deal before stuff was deducted instantly from the account.

It's a good skill, and can be as simple or complex as you want but opposite of weight loss, you ideally have more coming in than going out.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    It's not like compiling a set of t-accounts and an eight-column extended trial balance, I guess is what I mean

Back in the days when I bothered to balance my checkbook, it just meant taking the monthly statement I got in the mail from the bank and comparing it to the register in my physical checkbook. Ideally, the balance on the statement should match up to what you have written in the register. I suppose part of the reason it's fallen by the wayside is that I can go online and look up my account balance anytime I want, whereas back in the early 1990s when I first got a checkbook, the monthly statement in the mail was the most official communication of your current balance. The only other source you had to keep tabs on what you had in the account was your own scribblings in the register. So, if you were bad about forgetting to write down those trips to the ATM, you could easily think you have more money than you actually have, which can lead to overdraws on the account.

It was a good habit to have if you lived paycheck-to-paycheck. Fortunately, those days are behind me, so I don't keep a very close watch on my exact balance anymore.

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    Where I grew up, you kept it balanced EVERY check you wrote, so you didn't write a check that wouldn't bounce. It was a running total on the ledger that was the back few pages of each pack of checks. You went to a new pack of checks and you copied over the total.

• Options
    Where I grew up, you kept it balanced EVERY check you wrote, so you didn't write a check that wouldn't bounce. It was a running total on the ledger that was the back few pages of each pack of checks. You went to a new pack of checks and you copied over the total.

Yeah, that how it was for me too. At least, that was the ideal scenario. But when I was in college I didn't carry the checkbook with me everywhere I went, so if I took $20 out of the ATM at work it was quite easy to forget to record it by the time I got home.

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    Sometimes Penny-Arcade and its forums make me feel old.

But today, I feel young.

What did you guys use so many cheques for, purchasing mammoth steak at the grocery cave?

• Options
    Djiem wrote: »

But today, I feel young.

What did you guys use so many cheques for, purchasing mammoth steak at the grocery cave?

You know how you pay your bills online?

Imagine there wasn't an online.

• Options

But today, I feel young.

I've had a debit card since about 1991

• Options
    V1m wrote: »

But today, I feel young.

I've had a debit card since about 1991

Did it have internet?

• Options
    It obviated a chequebook

• Options
    V1m wrote: »
    It obviated a chequebook

I really don't get that, when so many places that sent bills for things didn't take debit cards and didn't have any kind of automatic payment for things so you still had to send out checks so you had to pay more attention to what your balance was going to be than what the ATM reported at any given time.

But okay, whatever. This is all pretty tangential.

• Options
    doompookydoompooky Wild (Let's Draw A) Horses Couldn't Drag Me AwayRegistered User regular

But today, I feel young.

I will do no such thing.

we7ek91hy97o.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I remember having to drive to my landlord to drop off the rent check.

And they still charged a convenience fee.

YL9WnCY.png