As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures] Finn is a Big Deal

• ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Another Store Champ in the books. Here is my brand new A-Wings list! So the plan here is simple, leverage Zari when possible and basically shove her into the fray. If the enemy bumps, that's awesome. If they don't they had to take some suboptimal plays, and that's great too. She kind of makes a little no zone. Try and get blocks, and make sure we're engaging as a closed fist on a single target instead of limping in or spreading damage. I'm going to divide the board into places that correspond with the numpad to try and make the descriptions a little more clear.

Game 1: Kylo/Holo and 2 generic SFs
    Okay, so it's like I'm being haunted by the list I could have taken. So I figure I need to dive in on the SFs and try to sneak away with points. If I can punch Kylo or (preferably) Holo in the mouth, I'll take it but especially Kylo is far from guaranteed points. I set up in the 2-1-2 like I always do and he sets up the SFs in the middle, the aces in the 9 corner. He slow rolls it out and I speed down the left side and veer away from the big boys on the other side. The plan actually goes pretty well to start. I do some long range damage to an SF at about 5/8 and then on the second turn follow it up with putting Zari at range 0 of the SF and then deleting it while it has one defense die. That feels good. He manages to plink away at Ronith I believe, and then I squeak away half points on Kylo. At this point I need to get the hell out of here, but there's a pretty big scrum. He manages to get his whole squad onto Zizi with Holo and Kylo at range one, double modded. She actually almost limped away with one health except for blanking out on the final shot from the SF. I am a math person and I know the odds on heroic but I blanked out twice on defense and I can't help but feel like the math gods were laughing at me. Two ships down, my three ships are not nearly as good as his three, or really his two. Kylo and Holo keep on murdering, he got three ships and half points on two.

I didn't hate how I flew this one, I did feel like I should have tried to get out of there, but I don't think there was a really good opportunity and he really pounced on me before I could get into runaway mode. We were really bogged down in the 8 or 9 area for most of the game and my ships were facing to the right at the time, limiting my options. His ships are actually much better at tiny tight turns overall, Holo has blue 1 turns. Further, there would have been about a third to half of the game left, that's a long time to run. I think this is a poor matchup overall. Not unwinnable, but they're just as tricky, get the benefit of moving last, and they hit much harder. Maybe just spend more time shooting from farther? Gotta be the jouster I think.

Game 2: Separatist Swarm
    So I have never played against this and it's kind of been a mental boogeyman so this is a very intimidating setup. I basically try to clump the rocks or spread them apart as much as possible since I don't want to deal with the struts. I play a little cagey and do a new setup from my 2-1-2, just grouping them in the bottom right while he does the same in the top left. I end up sending Zari, Ronith, and the BSR out to the right in a long loop with Zizi and Greer going around the left, ready to bug out as needed. Eventually I move Zizi and Greer to the top right corner of the 1, his forces are around the 4/7 border, and my lower initiative pilots are around 5/6. I take a 50/50, assuming he's going to go for the three targets, and Zizi and Greer start to go fast for the flank, while I bring in the other As, Zari screaming in to do her job, the others following behind a little conservatively. Thankfully he does go that way but Zari just misses the block.

It's very nice to have almost all of your squad shoot first against the separatists. The seps have only two green and the A-wings are consistent damage, you can make them spend their calculates and give them very little to shoot back with, at which point I've got three green dice. I manage to alpha strike one vulture off with the three while my two flankers the board in exchange for 3 damage on Zari. Not a wholly terrible trade. The next turn Zari runs up the gut, managing to ram into a techno union bomber. That's great, that's a high point target, I mean, for Separatists. We vaporize the bomber, it's tough having one die, and get some more incidental damage on the other droids. He finishes off Zari, but she got damage in on two targets and was instrumental in killing another so I think it's overall a wash.

At this point it's a total cluster. He does manage to hit my generic with a discord but I'm able to barrel roll it off the next turn only taking a damage as he flees the fight, guns facing backwards. Greer and Zizi manage to basically cut through the swarm over three turns, shots from downtown turn one, point blank into the rear of the formation, and then flying past and rotating guns. Ronith keeps dancing, finding holes and making himself useful. The A-Wings are too agile, he can't cover everywhere they are and they're only two dice ships, so each ship is getting hit by maybe one, except Zizi who I can be risky with. The A-Wings feast on the ancient droid ships. He kills a whole Zari, half points on two ships and I end up killing about half of his list and getting half points on another couple. I win 60 something to 120 something.

I think this was a pretty favorable matchup for the As. I get to shoot first and my two dice guns are VERY reliable damage against his two agility dice. They just can't keep up with my ability to be anywhere and rear arc him for damage. It makes him spread the kill boxes too big.

Game 3: Luke/Lando/Ten Numb
    Okay, so this is a similar list to what my friend plays, trading a Y and B Wing for Lando. The config only on Ten is a really good idea, it's a cheap way to get him double modified and it saves points on the cannon which is potentially a bit of a trap. He sets up in the 7, I set up in the 2-1-2 and we go at it. In my head, I want to light up Lando or Ten. Both of them are weak to my constant two dice damage and Luke is especially hard to kill. He sends Lando banking down into 8 while I go pretty fast on the lower initiative ones and very slow on the left. I don't want to engage Ten and Luke with two A-Wings. We trade long range shots on the second turn with my ships in at the top of 1 and Luke/Ten around the top of 4, the rest of the As moving towards 5 from 6. At this point the reasonable thing for me to do is probably turn Zizi and Greer right into the obstacle field and rotate arcs, but that means just eating his B-Wing and Luke which, again, I don't want to do. Instead I bank them to the left, getting pretty close to the board edge with Greer and focus boost. I'm hoping Luke cuts in, but even if he doesn't he'll probably bump. He does bump Greer and takes shots on Zizi, one shield comes off. He turns Ten in and trades shots with the other A-Wings and takes a couple damage for nothing in return.

The next turn I read him like a book and Ten flies into Zari. I collapse the entire formation on it except for Ronith who's in a bad position to get guns on Ten and he bugs Lando instead. I turn Ten into space dust. I am now winning by a lot and Lando is at 8, banking into 6 kind of out on the periphery of the fight. I feel good. At some point I get a couple damage on Luke and I sense blood in the water. Lando is leaving, Luke is wounded he's taken two shields, even half points on Luke would salt this away for me. He can't catch me if I run. I have three or four ships at one damage, I've done a good job of making sure he doesn't get multiple shots on the same turn or good follow ups on consecutive turns so he has no points.

Buuuuut it doesn't go that way. The dice take a turn for the worse for me and Luke becomes his standard unkillable self and I spend many turns killing myself on him. All of my ships that were one point away from half health just go to half health. He manages to kill Greer, already wounded from earlier in the fight and get almost half on all of my ships. The very last turn is me desperately trying to finish Luke off with one damn health. I get it, but he blows Zari up first. I lose this game 120 to 112. Ouuuuuch.

I should have run and let Luke chase me. Maybe that's a silly idea given the positioning because Lando is out there taking up a lot of space but I probably could have tried to bug out to the right side of the board and regrouped. I didn't get amazing shots on him down the stretch and he just started rolling well enough. Dealing on average one damage a turn to Luke while he's shooting back is not really a winning position for me because Luke really punches hard and he can take red maneuvers and have mods. He also has unlimited defensive force.

Game 4: More Rebels, ABBX
    More B-Wings. Well, at least B-Wings are something I know well at this point, and my friend has been practicing with almost this exact list. I win the roll off for first player, which is pretty huge. Zizi is a legit ace versus the B-Wings, their worst nightmare, and having Greer move after them ain't bad. I want to kill B-Wings. I can win this game by killing them, and I should spend exactly ZERO time fighting Jake.

It turns out I am very good at shooting Ten Numb. If you name your kid Ten Numb, keep him away from me, I may just take them out on accident apparently. I get him to half very quickly and continue to harry, blocking and trapping. I get him down to one health and kill him on the first shot that round and shoot at Luke some because he was there and I deal three damage to him, which is basically the game. I manage to get Zizi in his side point blank and I get hit hit crit, and he gets blank blank. Ouch. I spend the last half of the game in "please don't fuck this up mode" and for what it's worth he gets a lot closer than he should, Braylen is seriously scary. I still get him and Jake to half health just taking attacks of opportunity with a lot of unmodded shots and I'm able to be nimble enough to only take bad shots from him, usually with a defensive mod and he can't get both guns on someone. I win 150 something to one whole A-Wing and two at half, one of which, Greer only had one hitpoint and was pretty close to dying a couple times.

There isn't a ton to talk about on this game, but it really was spent with a lot of nerve wracking decisions and me just trying to find the best spot to place my A-Wings. With A-Wings, even when you're ahead you're sweating bullets.

Overall thoughts:
    So, 2-2! That's worse than my other tournament but I did play my friend and someone who was very new last time, so I think it's very arguable that this was a more impressive performance. I was very happy with everything, how I flew and the games I played. Really only the first one felt bad with some inopportune blank outs on defense but I think that match was always going to be a bit of an uphill climb.

The A-Wings, or maybe my dice, really redeemed themselves today and I felt I was adequately rewarded for flying well. I don't think I had amazing dice (well, except when I murdered Luke on that blank out) but I got pretty average dice, which I can deal with. I can slowly bleed some damage as long as I don't just get wiped out in one turn. Bleeding lets me run, forces them to chase me if they want their points. Dead dramatically reduces my firepower and my options. I felt good about my game planning and I feel I've come a long way from where I started in basically all aspects. I think tactically I really improved from Tuesday to today. I took a lot more evades than I normally would, and I think it's because I became a little better at identifying when it's unlikely that my I1 or I2 would really get shots. If it's iffy that they'll shoot back, the evade is much safer and protects your points. Honestly, sometimes you get lucky with two (or three!) dice unmodded, especially if your other ships have peeled off the defensive mods. Heck, there were times when I evaded and boosted into range 1 just because I'd rather live. I was also much better at fighting with more room. I was going a bit too fast the other games and you need to give yourself space to maneuver. Flying near the edge can halve your options, making you much easier to catch and negating a major strength of the A-Wings.

I do think some of the power of A-Wings comes from them being a little uncommon of a list. I got the impression that many opponents were not used to them and I think I caught them off guard with the mobility and the ability to rear arc them effortlessly. It really exponentially multiplies the decision space your opponent has to consider. I also think this is the best version of the list. Zari didn't necessarily come up a lot, but when she did it was usually pretty big. Her ability is just nice too. Sometimes you get blocked and you just say "great, focus rotate" and then you shoot their buddy. Or you just focus and shoot something in front of you. Or you focus and boost bank and say peace out! Fun fact: if you are in base contact with a small base, there is always a direction you can 1 bank to clear that base. It literally always works no matter the configuration of bases. It was nice to have another I5 in Tali but her ability is blank and honestly you just don't need the initiative that bad. You're never going to win the bid against scary fives.

So, what's next? Well, I have about two months before the next tournament, the Campaign Against Cancer. Between the time gap and the fact that that tournament is extended this kind of feels like the end of chapter 1 of my journey to NOVA. I'm going to take a break from the As. My top contenders are some sort of FO, since I would like to build my confidence to play aces with a lower ship count, or maybe a Republic Jedi list. You know, now that I could play Nien with Pattern Analyzer, that might keep Resistance in the mix since I find him really fun and rewarding to fly. A-Wings will always be the list in my back pocket when the chips are down and if I want something I feel confident in with little prep. Walking back to the car I told my buddy I felt my A-Wing sails were filled again with wind and he groaned at the prospect of having to play more. I don't think I'll play them for a good long while though, barring me panic picking them again before the next tournament. It is, however, a fine list and there's no need to overreact after one bad night that was a little random and my fault in other cases.

If you read all this and all my other posts, I hope it was mildly entertaining, and thanks.

ChaosHat on
    Oh, tiny update. I saw the results for the event posted on Facebook by the game store afterwards. The guy I lost to game 1 took 4th place overall, and the guy in game 3 was 2nd place, AND he won the other store championship I went to. So both of those players are obviously pretty good and I held my own against them, nearly winning one, which I feel maybe calibrates where my skill set is overall. Now, obviously it's hard to extrapolate from a best of one series, but in football terms I feel like I can be that 8-8 wild card team that can at least contend on any given Sunday.

It makes my overall performance feel a little better, while making that narrow game 3 loss feel more excruciating. I didn't realize I was a game out of playing for something in the top 4. Granted, my 2-1 opponent is likely better than the opponent I faced at 1-2, but at least you're in the mix and not on the outside looking in.

• TheDrifterTheDrifter Registered User regular
    That 8-8 wild card team speaks to me.

I know its a sample size of 2, but interested in Sep swarms losing both our games. I think Init 1 really hamstrings them. I felt like I could consistently get one off the board every turn before they got to their guns.

It is a weakness but also an asset. They can set blocks AND guarantee they get their actions off while doing that, which is critical with networked calculations. Without a bevy of calculates 2 agility 3 hull ships vanish into thin air. You can get ships off the board, or at least force them to spend those tokens so they don't have anything to fire back with. I think it also helps that we took swarmier lists. If you're flying three ships or something, you can blank out on offense or they can get natties on defense, saving a lot of those tokens. With five A-Wings or a bunch of TIEs you're going to force them to spend tokens, or alternatively, it improves the odds that they will be the one to blank out, and when you're removing ships the swarm loses power not linearly, but exponentially since they're losing those shared calculates, they're losing the ability to block, and to cover more space with guns.

I do think the As have an extra advantage in their total unpredictability due to how damn good that dial is and the ability to fire out the rear. There were numerous times on Saturday where I took my red boost action in 50/50 situations because the stress literally doesn't matter to me most of the time. I consider myself pretty good at the template game and would be like "ehhh I'm pretty sure that doesn't fit but why not because it would be amazing if it did." Like how are you going to block me if I can go 2 straight, keeping guns in front or do a 5 straight, a 2 turn, or a 3 bank and turn the guns around?

Okay, chapter two part one: what list?!

Of course, 5A remains my escape valve, my backup chute if I can't get confident with something new by Campaign Against Cancer. But, I might as well experiment, especially given it's extended format. So, where does that leave us? I think aces is probably a more natural fit. They're very evasive like the A-Wings are but they kind of have a better late game plan and I think it's a category I would just like to be good at playing overall. I could also see a bit of a mixed strategy being something I would be interested in, like a couple Jedi and ARCs, or Kylo and some FO/SF salad could be a backup because it would also translate whatever ace skills I picked up.

The best ace factions are probably Imperials, First Order, and Republic overall, so which of those appeal to me? Imperials have a lot of variety and options, between Vader, Duchess, Whisper, Grand Inquisitor, and Soontir, you can probably find some combo that works with you.

First Order seems a little shaky. Kylo is pretty tanky for an ace and is definitely one of the best single ships in the game, but who to pair him with? Blackout maybe? Quickdraw lacks the double reposition innately, and I'm not confident in how good the Baron pilots are in the grand scheme of things.

Then there's the Republic. You have Anakin and Obi-Wan who are definitely amazing, high force aces but they're pricey in the 7B config. They're also pretty limited in variety. You're going to be running Ani/Obi/Ric most of the time, maybe dropping Ani down to Plo or something if you want more upgrades, and all of the deltas will fly similarly.

Laying it out like that, I think Imperials make the most sense. I'll be able to substitute elements until I find my favorite three, and they'll each fly with some variety, something I could probably use after running five of the same ship for about six weeks. For like one minute I thought about running this swarm list but I'll use so much time getting all of those ships to play nicely with their different dials and the ailerons on a medium base it'll take me a long time to even be able to play the list competently much less determine if I like it. I've always struggled to play Vader well, I don't know what it is about him, but I just can't put it together, so I guess I'll try to make that work if I can. I also think Whisper is a cool ship, and I bought a TIE Adv v1 around Christmas and then it became non HS legal so I've never flown it. So Oli Aces it is to start I think.

I think FO will be my backup pick either three aces or the Kylo salad. It scares me to have 91 points sunk into Anakin so I don't think I'll go with Republic. I think if I could find a viable list with the Jedi and some ARCs I would consider that but I don't know if any exist. I am not nearly confident enough in my skills to build a list from scratch. Honestly I've always been a netdecker. I've never really had the patience to learn if the list is bad or maybe I'm just bad. Going with known quantities always helped figure that out, and it's easier to find resources to help you if you need tips. Also, I don't really have the time to try a list, iterate on it, and eventually just dump it.

I don't delude myself into thinking Fly Casual is a perfect simulator or test but I think it's really good for idiot testing a list in a couple ways. First, you can just get used to the templates, the ability timing, the basic stuff. Just learn how to fly in a vacuum. In my experience, the digital translates to the physical pretty well. Secondly, there will be lists (5X, Focho, munitions alpha strike) that play similar to how the dumb computer plays. It's not going to fan out and trap as much, but it does a good job of just pointing arcs at your ships relentlessly and focusing and shooting. So, if you can't beat that, you are definitely not ready for prime time.

So I am fly casualing the aces and am I really bad at it. I think I've won two games out of seven or eight. I'm not sure exactly what it is. I think it is maybe the total lack of double repositioning, but I doubt that's it since you very rarely double repo with the As. I think it's the lack of boost. Vader can only boost at speeds 3+, Whisper can never boost. I dunno though. I feel like I keep getting caught and it's really difficult to wrestle back control of the game once you're losing it. It does have the high risk/high reward feel of the As but turned up to 11. Bad dice variance hurts on an A-Wing, but by god is it crippling on your 70 point Vader.

I'm thinking about changing it up but Vader in the stupid x1 is so iconic and I think it would be fun to be good at him. I've never understood how he works so now's a good enough time. I also really like Whisper a lot, although it is realllll depressing if you don't hit them to trigger her ability. Now I gotta spend my evade and I lose my cloak and all my maneuverability and it's real hard to recloak while you're in the scrum. My feelings on the TAP are mixed. Inquis' ability is neat, and it is the only one with a normal boost action but it definitely feels fragile. Maybe I should try Soontir, but my list is abusing passive sensors to get away with no bid for Vader so that would require reworking the whole dang list. Also I'm not sure I'm brave or good enough to fly three hull.

I also realized after the fact that I'm basically playing a Republic Jedi list. The three ships have six force between them. It's pretty silly. If anyone has tips for Imp aces, I'm all ears.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    So, uh ... What's Fly Casual?

Oh man let me blow your mind!

So Fly Casual is a simulator that has an AI, but you can also play locally with a friend hotseat style. Apparently online play is coming? It's all automated and has 3d models, works on windows and has an android app. It is a good substitute for the real thing and is a nice way to get some reps for the things I mentioned above. If you're just trying to get a feel for a list or want to experiment or whatever, it's great!

Again, it's no substitute for an actual human opponent but it's better than nothing, and it resets really quickly so if things go south and you want to try that again, it's very easy.

Okay, that's cool. Thanks!

Huh ... Cannot seem to get a squad to import into FC from a YASB export. Hints?

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    Oh man let me blow your mind!

So Fly Casual is a simulator that has an AI, but you can also play locally with a friend hotseat style. Apparently online play is coming? It's all automated and has 3d models, works on windows and has an android app. It is a good substitute for the real thing and is a nice way to get some reps for the things I mentioned above. If you're just trying to get a feel for a list or want to experiment or whatever, it's great!

Again, it's no substitute for an actual human opponent but it's better than nothing, and it resets really quickly so if things go south and you want to try that again, it's very easy.

Oh heck yeah I'm so going to try the Android version.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    Elvenshae wrote: »

Occasionally I have had it throw out an error for certain squads. I'm not sure why.

Occasionally I have had it throw out an error for certain squads. I'm not sure why.

Huh. Can you see this one? If so, can you get it to import?

https://raithos.github.io/?f=Rebel Alliance&d=v8ZsZ200Z4X251WW5WW142Y48X125W69W54WWW156Y6X125W136W4WW142&sn=Focusing the Force&obs=coreasteroid1,yt2400debris0,yt2400debris1

Huh. Can you see this one? If so, can you get it to import?

https://raithos.github.io/?f=Rebel Alliance&d=v8ZsZ200Z4X251WW5WW142Y48X125W69W54WWW156Y6X125W136W4WW142&sn=Focusing the Force&obs=coreasteroid1,yt2400debris0,yt2400debris1

Ahah.

xdad0dioof0z.png

• hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    Wow, Fly Casual is amazing! Additionally, it’s already saved me whatever I would have spent on buying up my imaginary “all B-Wings all the time because they’re awesome!” list, by throwing five generic A-Wings at it and rubbing my snout in a messy pile of One Green Die Is A Big Liability, Actually until I, sobbing, snot-faced, and tabled repeatedly, begged to recant my heresy.

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
    hlprmnky wrote: »
    Wow, Fly Casual is amazing! Additionally, it’s already saved me whatever I would have spent on buying up my imaginary “all B-Wings all the time because they’re awesome!” list, by throwing five generic A-Wings at it and rubbing my snout in a messy pile of One Green Die Is A Big Liability, Actually until I, sobbing, snot-faced, and tabled repeatedly, begged to recant my heresy.

I mean I'm pretty fully in the camp that if you flew the B-Wings enough you would become very good at the matchup and be better able to overcome those matchups, and that for 90% of matches your experience would be better, especially compared to players who switch around a lot. That 10% is only going to come in at the top top tier where players are very evenly matched and playing optimally already. But I do agree that all Bs are suboptimal. Some sort of Rebel salad list is probably better overall, and you could still fly like, TWO B-Wings.

I think I am reaching the end of what Fly Casual can teach me about the list. I've become much better and I think I'm going to start hitting diminishing returns flying it there. I have learned a few things though.

Whisper is amazing! Maybe the best ship ever. The pre move barrel roll or boost is just super good and it gives Whisper really high time on target. You can usually barrel roll out and then turn back in to keep hitting your opponent, often from the side. It also forces a lot of 50/50s where you can go either right or left and your opponent can't cover both options. She also hits really hard, especially with Fifth Brother and passive sensors to give the target lock for kind of double mods. The list drops crits like crazy too. Fifth Brother is almost a guaranteed one, as is Vader. It's pretty crippling to the enemy. As always, the list remains terribly reliant on green variance. I can't count the times I've lost Vader to something like triple blank into blank blank focus.

One thing I think I could use improvement on is when to burn those all important afterburner charges, or trying to change. I'm always amazed at how aggressively mediocre some of these dials are. The Advanced V1 has blues only on the 1s and straights up to 3. The X1 has blues only on straights and banks and lacks 1 turns. I would kill for 1 turns, or blue 2 turns or something. It is really difficult to come about with the ship if you're stressed and you become really predictable after a tallon roll, k-turn, or linked red action. I think this is maybe the biggest disconnect between most Imperial ships in terms of how I perceive of them versus how they are. I imagine them to be very nimble ships that dance around, but they're really not. They lack boosts a lot and their blue maneuvers aren't really anything to write home about. Like even the standard TIE Fighter has bad blues. Granted, it rarely needs to stress, but still.

Maybe I should move to a Soontir list. I think he would fly much closer to my comfort level.

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Just wanted to pop in and thank you all for pointing me at Fly Casual! This is a waaaaay nicer program than I was expecting, and I'm very into deep diving on some star ship games for research right now, so the timing is *chef's kiss*.

Also, I flew five X-Wings against eight Tie fighters. It did not end well!

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    I would imagine 5X would have a pretty decent matchup against the TIEs. In a straight joust you could probably pick off one or two of the TIEs before they can shoot depending on variance.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Sadface. I didn't get picked for the initial set of limited edition Naboo N-1s.

Not that I was ever expecting them, as I wasn't going Adepticon. And everyone who registered for Adepticon's events were guaranteed the ship. So who knows how many extras there were.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    They had planned to sell them online during Adepticon anyway, so I imagine it was a good amount more than those that were going.

Didn't know those existed, they look really awesome.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    qAJHvFK.jpg

Long story short I'm friends with the guy who does all the art for the Star Wars Black Series toy line. I made an off-hand remark in my SW collecting focused Discord server about how it would look cool if Maul's Sith eyes were colored-in on his Force FX packaging. 5 minutes later Greg (the artist) comes in the chat with the above image. About 20 minutes after that I had another friend from an X-Wing discord community design this custom card for me. When everything settles down he's going to make me a physical copy.

Rad.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    I was also not selected for the chrome N-1, email came in this morning. sadface

qAJHvFK.jpg

Long story short I'm friends with the guy who does all the art for the Star Wars Black Series toy line. I made an off-hand remark in my SW collecting focused Discord server about how it would look cool if Maul's Sith eyes were colored-in on his Force FX packaging. 5 minutes later Greg (the artist) comes in the chat with the above image. About 20 minutes after that I had another friend from an X-Wing discord community design this custom card for me. When everything settles down he's going to make me a physical copy.

Rad.

Can I be your friend so I can say I'm friends of a friend who does the art for the Star Wars Black Series toy line?

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Betsuni wrote: »
    qAJHvFK.jpg

Rad.

Can I be your friend so I can say I'm friends of a friend who does the art for the Star Wars Black Series toy line?

Yes

Edit: I thought we were already friends!
    I was also not selected for the chrome N-1, email came in this morning. sadface

Me either, apparently my insider connections do not extend to Fantasy Flight Games.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Hey X-Wingers, got a quick question. I'm looking through stuff on X-Wing for research, and I stumbled across the Quadjumper while looking at maneuver dials.

What's up with its 1's row? I get the Left Turn/Forward/Right Turn, but those other three? Are those reverse moves? I literally don't see those symbols (red line that end in a box, like a Stationary maneuver) on any other dial I can find.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Nips wrote: »
    Hey X-Wingers, got a quick question. I'm looking through stuff on X-Wing for research, and I stumbled across the Quadjumper while looking at maneuver dials.

What's up with its 1's row? I get the Left Turn/Forward/Right Turn, but those other three? Are those reverse moves? I literally don't see those symbols (red line that end in a box, like a Stationary maneuver) on any other dial I can find.

Correct. It's a tug, so it can go backwards. Should be in the 2.0 rules reference.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Say you were going to buy someone a separatist droid fleet as a birthday gift. Suggestions for purchases?

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Say you were going to buy someone a separatist droid fleet as a birthday gift. Suggestions for purchases?

How much are you looking to spend?
    I'd think that starting with the Squadron pack ($40) and a Vulture droid ($20) would be a good start for a swarmy faction. Would get you three Vultures and a Belbullab.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I’d say “standard tournament-sized list. Bonus points if we’re not getting duplicates of the same pack to give them some variety.” 100-150 US price range?

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    I don't know much about how Seperatist faction plays and haven't played a game of X-wing since 2 came out. I remember reading they're very swarmy so having multiple Vultures isn't a bad thing.
    I'd still recommend starting with the Squadron pack because it's the best value ship wise, and an additional Vulture to get the upgrade cards that aren't included in the Squadron. More vulture's means more calculate flexibility.
    After that, I'd choose between the Sith Infiltrator ($40) to get a big ship or a pair of Hyenas ($20 each) to get some bombers to switch play style up.

According to the wiki, base cost of the Vultures is 19 points, Hyena is 25, Belbullab starts at 35, Sith infiltrator at 51

So. three vultures and the Belbullab starts at 92 points which would give you some points for upgrades/pilots to get handily in the 100-150 range

Other ships are the Nantex starfighter that starts at 34 points, the C-ROC which is a huge ship and probably blows the budget and the Gunship which hasn't released yet.

@PMAvers

So a good list, depending on Hyperspace or Extended, is probably going to be like 6-7 vultures + thing, usually 1-2 hyena bombers or a belbullab. I believe 6 vultures and sith infiltrator is also pretty viable.

The nantex is not good at all right now, so keep that in mind. I know you wanted ship variety but they're a pretty linear faction and they don't have too many ships on top of that.

If you did the base box, 1-2 hyenas an infiltrator and then additional vultures to taste, that would be good. I would get separate vultures after the first base box and not multiple boxes. The discord missile upgrade only comes in the individual expansion and many lists run 3.

edited May 2020
    I joined an X-Wing 2.0 Discord server recently in an attempt to find someone who would teach me how to play the game. Not only did they teach me in no time flat, but a member who doesn't know me from a hole in the wall decided to send me all of this:

vd8p3nI.jpg

(Dials and bases included)

kSIvbmh.jpg

T67rojt.jpg

ssLYvQx.jpg

for free.

He wouldn't even let me pay for shipping. Yeah I couldn't believe it either. Is this what the entire X-Wing community is like? Or did I just hit the jackpot in terms of communities?

They're not the best pics, but here's some more shots of the Tantive IV because holy shit thats a good looking ship:

cczq2N0.jpg

ECytj1E.jpg

I thought I had picked the worst time possible for getting into X-Wing, but maybe I've picked the best?

Edit: And yes I realize that TIE pilot promo card is upside down, I just didn't have the energy to fix it.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    edited May 2020
    The X-Wing community is super great. They are on par with the Netrunner community as far as being a bunch of chill people who love the game.

It's definitely a good time to get into it, let me know if you'd like to play online or have any questions!

And yeah, even if you never play with it, the Tantive is just a good looking model. Hell, they all are. I have my collection displayed on a bookshelf because it all looks so damn good.

ChaosHat on
    The X-Wing community is super great. They are on par with the Netrunner community as far as being a bunch of chill people who love the game.

It's definitely a good time to get into it, let me know if you'd like to play online or have any questions!

And yeah, even if you never play with it, the Tantive is just a good looking model. Hell, they all are. I have my collection displayed on a bookshelf because it all looks so damn good.

I have only played one game with @Elvenshae and two games with my co-workers before this whole telework happened. I have a bunch of ships that I bought just to display because I view them as adult Micro Machines. Maybe one of these days I'll play with the cards and other things that came with the boxes.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I loved micro machines! I wonder if that's partly why I loved X-wing so much.

Also, they are apparently set to come back this fall.
    https://www.thedrive.com/news/31232/nostalgic-micro-machines-toy-cars-are-making-a-comeback-in-2020

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    ArcSyn wrote: »

https://www.thedrive.com/news/31232/nostalgic-micro-machines-toy-cars-are-making-a-comeback-in-2020

I forgot they were thinking of bringing those back. I do have a full set of the first series that my grandmother had on her wall (still in boxes).

I forgot to say that I'm super jealous of that Corvette @Handsome Costanza (and all the goodies). I can look at that all day.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    A full set?! Wow.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    ArcSyn wrote: »

Not Star Wars though, I emailed them about it. The SW Micromachine line had a brief comeback during the TFA to R1 era but didn't sell enough and were discontinued. I have....a fairly extensive Mircromachines collection, along with Action Fleet and the original Kenner Micro Collection line. I'll post some pics later.

Resident 8bitdo expert.