As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Nioh: Onimusouls Action Available on Feb 7!

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    I'm not liking fighting in this spirit realm shit.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • taco543taco543 Loser CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    I'm not liking fighting in this spirit realm shit.

I'll be honest I hated it at first, but it adds another layer of difficulty, I kinda enjoy it now. Really forces you to learn your enemy or get wrecked in the process.

I think the tells for the second boss are pretty obvious, it's just you can't do much reacting because you'll be out of stamina. At least that's what it feels like.

• DacDac Registered User regular
    I hated the spirit realm, but then I learned to love it. You build special meter SO FAST there. Equip a good R2-square or triangle move and blow those losers away.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
    Anyone got a hot tip for the Nure-Onna? They're just such an incredible pain.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    It took me a while to figure out burst counters, but dodging backwards and then burst countering seems to help a lot. The enemy has to touch the image you leave behind but if you just counter right through them that rarely happens.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    I mainly bought nioh 2 for the character creation.

Spent a few hours on it last night.

Still haven’t decided on the appearance I want to go with

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    If you put two elements on an enemy and give them the chaos debuff right as their meter is empty they won’t be able to do the youkai realm thing until the debuff has cleared.

Viskod on
    I see the buff/debuff stacking is as effective as Nioh. Which is to say really good.

Steel Skin to up defense and devigorate to debuff the attack of the enemy, and suddenly hits that would take off over half your health or kill you are doing.. maybe a third? A quarter?

edited March 2020
    Oh my god what a botch on my part! I had been waiting for a Yokai Kurishigama, got two, and used the wrong one for Soul Matching. It also looked insanely sweet. . .

EDIT: Lemons out of Lemonade - I found that I have a Nippon-Datara hammer. Time to rock and roll (loved hammers in the first one).

ED! on
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Heatwave wrote: »

The character creator is so awesome. My GF got caught up watching me/helping me make my guy for WAYYY too long.

Also I want to say thank you for the devs for actually allowing BODY TATTOOS.

Almost every game with tattoos only allows face tattoos which well... those aren't exactly the most possible.

But my dude has rad sleeves and chest tattoo and it looks so great.

I'm pretty underwhelmed with the Fist talismans in this game. They were very potent in the first. I remember unlocking them and being able to punch/kick half of an enemy's life in a single blow. But in Nioh 2... no. It takes ages to kill a single basic-bitch enemy. And note that I do have the bare-handed skills from the Samurai tree.

Combined with not being able to ki burst and you seeming to also have a greatly reduced Anima build up rate with fists, it's an incredible bummer.

• HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Heatwave wrote: »

The character creator is so awesome. My GF got caught up watching me/helping me make my guy for WAYYY too long.

Also I want to say thank you for the devs for actually allowing BODY TATTOOS.

Almost every game with tattoos only allows face tattoos which well... those aren't exactly the most possible.

But my dude has rad sleeves and chest tattoo and it looks so great.

I've been going full weeb on the character creator.
    From Naruto
    ep69JnG.jpg?1
    cm3YYpp.jpg?1
    qjYb7TS.png?1

From Demon Slayer
    3fby3ud.jpg
    Tanjiro looks terrible! :lol:
    PbVbkL8.jpg

Also is there an easier way to upload PS4 screenshots?

I've been putting my on my activity feed and saving onto my phone from the Playstation App.

I don't want to flood my friend's activity feed with my character creations

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
    Doing better with the fist talismans. Joining the proper clan once it unlocked helped a lot. But now I am running into a bit of a bug - at least it seems like a bug. Sometimes, when I apply the fist talisman, the damage increase just... doesn't go through. Or will drop completely while the effect is still ongoing. No idea what the deal is, still testing.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    So how is this game compared to the first one, difficulty-wise? I kinda want to give it a look since now there's a character creator fixing the major problem of the first game, but also I was literally incapable of defeating the first boss in the first game so I haven't played more than an hour of it.

I feel like it's about the same. There's been a lot of swearing at the screen the last couple days.

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Dac wrote: »
    I feel like it's about the same. There's been a lot of swearing at the screen the last couple days.

The level design has me cursing a blue streak. Lots more places to drown or fall off a cliff compared to 1. The environment has killed me more than anything else.

Still having a blast though.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    was fighting a souped up yokai realm enki in the second level, got him down to low health and dodged back into fire, dodged out into another, separate fire

was hopping mad but then i came back and the yokai realm was gone and was like haha fuck you too buddy you did the same thing i did

I'm on the tonfa train. Monstrous Ki damage and fast. Hammer definitely hits harder but with the tonfas easy recovery and the techniques. . . brutal.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    This game is like SO GOOD.

So far are the mechanics seem impactful in a way that has me caring a lot about them.

So really interesting build stuff.

I seem to be doing alright with the regular sword. I had an OP dual sword build last game. Wanted to try something new this time.

Also the DS4 back button attachment is great for this and games like it.

Just put the items/heals you use the most on it so you don't need to use your thumb on the dpad. Hit that heal while still moving.

DemonStacey on
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    I am waiting for the PC version, but I just want to say, the cutscene integration of your created character is FUCKING INCREDIBLE, and somehow every character not only emotes well, but also looks natural beside the normal cast, which is NUTS.

edited March 2020
    these side missions where you get stuck fighting a gauntlet of multiple enemies simultaneously in a broom closet suck shit

i'm still in the first zone, assholes, i'm not geared for this shit

Elendil on
    Sometimes this game is such bullshit.

"Ah, there's a room ahead with two guys, kind of unavoidable, don't have a lot of ammo. There's a friendly summon sign placed here, though, so I should be able to handle it. Okay, ally summoned, Sloth the first enemy - oh shit. A third guy just busted out of a wall that I couldn't have known was there before. Uh, uh, oh shit, two on me, uh. Oh god, taking a lot of damage, but - YES! I got them both down while my ally is engaging the third! I only have a sliver of life, though, time to chug an elix-"

*spider runs up from somewhere downstairs and tags, killing me. Where was it, considering I was down there and didn't see it? Why did it aggro now? Who knows!*

"Well FUCK YOU TOO, GAME."

• SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Game is amazing but, predictably, hard as balls. Maybe harder than the first one.

I’m on the 3rd level right now and I just cannot figure out these creepy serpent ladies. (Nore-unna?). No matter what I do they seem to fuck me up.

Also I went with the Kurisagana and am regretting it. It looked cool but it’s pretty darn hard to use and I only seem to have one combo.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
    I am in the fourth region and level 60-something and Nure-Onna still consistently fuck me up, so you are definitely not alone there. I feel like I have a handle on how to fight nearly every yokai so far, but Nure-Onna are always a crapshoot. Very tough, do shit-tons of damage, hard to read moveset, multiple disables and wombo combos. Fuck.

If someone knows the cheat codes for how to deal with them, I've got an Awesome for you.

Huh. Turns out I can just save screenshots to a USB stick. Cool.

Bargain Bin Brook
    0BWulxw.jpg

Looks more like the Sensei from Kill la Kill than Kamina from Gurren Lagann
    FM4B2VQ.jpg

I think I might give Sakura a go at being a protagonist in this game for now.
    7DOGsWC.jpg

Or at least until I've created a better character.

Forgot to screenshot my attempt at Shinobu from Demon Slayer, but it didn't look right anyway.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Thoughts on A vs B Agility here?

I forget in the first game but most stuff I read says it isn't usually worth A in Nioh 1.

But it feels p good in this one?

I had been A for most the game but after reading it doesn't affect iframes and stuff I decided to try out some more armor for my current level. Then I came to a revenant (I'm playing offline so I only have the official ones to fight) that gave me a harder time than any other fight in the game. I just kept getting hit trying to dodge around him. So then I switch back to A just to give it a try and boom first try. I could dodge straight through his attacks with ease. Not sure if they gave A more iframes or what but either way it felt way better. So I think I'm going to go back to pumping stamina now and staying in A agility.

• XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Dac wrote: »
    I am in the fourth region and level 60-something and Nure-Onna still consistently fuck me up, so you are definitely not alone there. I feel like I have a handle on how to fight nearly every yokai so far, but Nure-Onna are always a crapshoot. Very tough, do shit-tons of damage, hard to read moveset, multiple disables and wombo combos. Fuck.

If someone knows the cheat codes for how to deal with them, I've got an Awesome for you.

They are weak to Lightning, and their attack pattern is:
    1. Move close, attack combo
    2. Big move (throw, stare, slam)
    3. Dodge 180 degrees
    4. Attack combo OR goto 2

Their dodging patterns are really predictable, and they only have one attack combo of only 1-3 hits. You can just wait to attack until they dodge and you're set. Dodge through them. Use lightning talisman. DO NOT try to parry their eye rays unless you are using Brute, technically it works but the timing is far too precise for the others.

Xagar on
    edited March 2020
    double post

Xagar on
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Finally loaded this up today and beat the first area. So far, it feels a little more difficult up front than Nioh 1 did, which I chalk up to the sheer amount of front-loaded mechanics compared to the original. Still really enjoying it though.

I'm kind of iffy on the new weapons though.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
    this game is hard as hell

i was losing my shit on the kamitaichi level

edited March 2020
    Absolutely loving the game so far, just wrapped up the first region. Nioh 1 was the most absorbing thing I played the year it came out, and this one seems even better. This is the series that got me into Souls-likes, I thoroughly recommend it to anyone wanting to dip their toes into the Souls waters.

This time around I'm going for a heavy Ninjutsu build with the Kusarigama with my lead weapon. I don't think I'm quite at the point where Jutsu is particularly powerful (I'm lvl 20 but I think I squandered a lot of my skill points), but it is mighty useful at least. The Kusarigama has taken some getting used to, but I've gotten into a good rhythm with it in High Stance. I have however picked up the Yokai Counters really quickly and those are into my muscle memory.

Much like the first game, I'm not changing stances at all and I'm not using Block, it's just a bit too much for my tiny brain to handle / remember. I don't really get Block, actually - why use it instead of dodge?

Spaffy on
    Blocking is actually good in this game, if your armor has enough Toughness stat. It's not like Dark Souls 2/3 where blocking is a quick trip to death. You can also hold block while dodging and you'll block whatever you don't dodge.

• GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Does anyone know if the respec book cost increases follow the model from the first game?

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
    Elendil wrote: »
    this game is hard as hell

i was losing my shit on the kamitaichi level

That one's kind of a brick to the face, yeah. I eventually learned the attacks enough to only really be afraid of one of them: the mixup after the tree attack where instead of doing a red attack he'll jump and do that flying spin. I could NEVER get the timing for the dodge on that and it was infuriating.

Then I asked myself why I was trying to dodge that when the block button was right there, and I got him down. Eventually.

Side observation: I have lots of Sloth talismans, but I almost never use them on actual kills. For me, they're mostly for learning a boss' moveset. I find that they screw up the timing on my dodges way too much, especially on red attacks. And also find that they can encourage me to make really stupid aggressive plays that get punished instead of playing it safe.

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    After getting a feel for the combos and the outrageous ki damage they can do, I've taken to maining hatchets.

When I'm in a good groove, it makes me feel like this:

https://youtu.be/_kZ4SHVKlRA

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    I was kinda disappointed to see tonfa get replaced with hatchets in the beta.

Glad you can axe your enemies the same question to help bury the hatchet.

wtf is up with this yoshimoto dude in the submission

absolutely trivial fight in the main mission, becomes an unstoppable juggernaut with infinite poise when attacking, the ability to block out of combos and the ability to do a burst move out of stagger state

i'd unload a combo right into his health bar and i would get punished for it

Just finished the first region, I'm level 38. The recommended level of the ludicrously difficult Sub-mission I just gave up on was lvl 20.

lol

There are patch notes out there, should be live pretty soon. There's no official English, but it looks like there are a few important things people have been complaining about that have been fixed.
    -Proficiency gain increased for weapons that aren't your most proficient
    -Proficiency requirements down for some dojo missions
    -Gaki and Yoki damage down
    -Adjusted recommended levels for some missions
    -Hatchet high stance throw now tracks enemies instead of missing
    -Divination talisman actually works now
    -Some bug fix for the big black spider cow boss
    (You can't prematurely destroy the dam with a jump attack, only the boss running into it will destroy it, I think?)
    -A bunch of other stuff that's difficult to understand due to all the localized names