As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] Cardboard Action at a Distance

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Yeah, going through the deck now. Mickey's a bonkers card, which is fitty. Donald, Minnie, and Goofy are no slouches either. But I was quite surprised to see Oswald the Rabbit!

Instapurchase.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    In some positive Asmodee news, they announced yesterday that Asmodee USA was opening it's own full distributor to sell directly to stores, and swapping their sub-distributor to ACD instead of Alliance starting in July.

I've never heard a store owner talk positively about working with Alliance, so hopefully this is good news and makes product availability better?

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    In some positive Asmodee news, they announced yesterday that Asmodee USA was opening it's own full distributor to sell directly to stores, and swapping their sub-distributor to ACD instead of Alliance starting in July.

I've never heard a store owner talk positively about working with Alliance, so hopefully this is good news and makes product availability better?

who cares, i'm still not giving asmodee money.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Magic Pink wrote: »

who cares, i'm still not giving asmodee money.

I care because it shows improvement, or at least reading the market better.

Asmodee's been pulling some shit with their "platinum" stores lately, especially in the vein of release dates. Their international distribution has been especially horrible/spotty. By actually committing to a proper distributor model, hopefully it will help with those things. Plus things were so much better when FFG's product came through ACD, in terms of getting things on time and in quantity.

Edit: Hmmm. Reading the article, maybe I shouldn't be as positive as I was when I initially posted. The article clarifies that Asmodee is becoming a distributor of both its own titles and other titles, meaning it is going into full-blown competition with Alliance, ACD, and so on. Further, they are still keeping their tiered support that has screwed over my local store, and I bet now it's gonna get worse because they will split their orders and therefore won't get as high up the favorability chain.

Edit 2: Oh, just checked in with my local store, they are ecstatic, because they love working with ACD.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    if reading the market led to "mail your entire game back to get replacement pieces" then they're doing a shit job

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    if reading the market led to "mail your entire game back to get replacement pieces" then they're doing a shit job

I agree, that policy is horrid, especially for games that are sold out or the store doesn't have another copy of. Though on the bright side, the clarification out of GAMA is that the retailer doesn't need to return the game to the distributor to get credit back from Asmodee. Which may lead to a surplus of parts. :)

Trust me, I've been in a love/hate relationship with Asmodee for quite a while now, so I just keep hoping for the best.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Honestly, a easy tweak for this would be for a new copy to get sent directly to the customer from Asmodee after returning it to the store if they were out.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Honestly, a easy tweak for this would be for a new copy to get sent directly to the customer from Asmodee after returning it to the store if they were out.

And what if you bought it online? Shipping prices for games goes through the roof if you don't have some kind of corporate deal going

• Options
    A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
    Wow CMON is really trying to pull a fast one on their Marvel United KS. Just after the KS finished they offered backer the "perk" of paying double shipping to get the base game as the same time it hits retail (August 20), and the extras in March 21. If they only pay shipping once then you get everything March 21 when everyone else gets it August 20. You're still getting all the exclusives, but it seems so scummy to present this opportunity right after the KS finishes.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Wow CMON is really trying to pull a fast one on their Marvel United KS. Just after the KS finished they offered backer the "perk" of paying double shipping to get the base game as the same time it hits retail (August 20), and the extras in March 21. If they only pay shipping once then you get everything March 21 when everyone else gets it August 20. You're still getting all the exclusives, but it seems so scummy to present this opportunity right after the KS finishes.

Regardless of when the "opportunity" was offered that seems like the opposite of the kickstarter philosophy.

"Here's this thing! We already have a retail shipping schedule figured out but throw us your pre-order money and we'll send it to you 8 months later with some extra plastic for funsies!"

I'm as wary as the next guy of first-timer kickstarters but I feel like CMON is past the point where the kickstarter system makes sense for them, from a consumer-focused point of view. I was pretty underwhelmed by Marvel United so didn't back it but I think I'm going to be holding off on them for other reasons.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    CMON also just announced a 2nd edition of Sheriff of Nottingham that includes the expansions and fixes the snapping envelopes.

• Options

I have a ton of KS projects where I can pay double to get some sooner and the rest later or pay half and get it all at once later. This isn't anything new.

• Options

I have a ton of KS projects where I can pay double to get some sooner and the rest later or pay half and get it all at once later. This isn't anything new.

I’ve never seen one where retail release date wasn’t announced until the end, and the only way to get the game before retail is by paying double. What I found wrong was the timing of the announcement coupled with a retail release date that says the game is not only finished but probably in production.

When I’ve been in KS that offer pay double for early core delivery it’s usually been upfront.

• Options
    We tried The Edge last night and it's a pretty good game. Without experience in it the game just plays out like a slapfight but it's deffo one of those games that will get better as you become more familiar with your faction and the other factions you end up playing against.

Like, if you're against Demons? Never group up! Hit and run especially if they have their big boy out and swarm him with 0 VP goblins if you have any.

• Options

I’ve never seen one where retail release date wasn’t announced until the end, and the only way to get the game before retail is by paying double. What I found wrong was the timing of the announcement coupled with a retail release date that says the game is not only finished but probably in production.

When I’ve been in KS that offer pay double for early core delivery it’s usually been upfront.

It's a creepy move for sure but it just doesn't feel all that different from the other ones that have done the same. Only the timing is different really and that may just be because they decided to do it at the last minute.

Also, at some point, pigs will fly out of my ass.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Honestly, those sound like bad Kickstarters to be backing. <_<

Forgot to mention that we played Martin Wallace's Ships earlier this week.
    It's a game alright. The BGG rating of ~6-6.5 is probably accurate. I genuinely wouldn't recommend it unless you already know you're a big Wallace fan, in which case you've probably already played it. The best thing I can say is that I was allowed to play it very fast and loose and help push it to end fast so we could be done before midnight. I definitely appreciated that part of it~ But it's pretty damningly forgettable otherwise.

• Options

Nah, they just give you a chance to lower shipping costs. And it tends to be the rule for larger projects rather than the exception.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Finally got my copy of Photosynthesis to the table tonight. The aesthetic of the game is fantastic, and it hides a real number cruncher style of gameplay. Played with three players and it felt perfect. Four would be real rough, and i could see people not getting actions near the end game.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    If anyone gets Tang Garden and doesn't end up with the free Herbalist character, send me a PM with your address and I'll send you one free. They sent me 2.

Also, everyone go get Tang Garden it's farkin' beeyooteefull

kizt06hp9b9n.jpg

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Finally got my copy of Photosynthesis to the table tonight. The aesthetic of the game is fantastic, and it hides a real number cruncher style of gameplay. Played with three players and it felt perfect. Four would be real rough, and i could see people not getting actions near the end game.

Photosynthesis at 4 is evil. Two is a points race and crunching numbers. Three is a points race with some competition, and I agree the sweet spot. Really great board and becomes so beautiful as you play. There isn't really an issue with not getting actions. More of an issue that you just may be taking less optimal ones. My brother-in-law decided to lock down the central spot until 4 turns from the end because he knew that no one could plant and grow a tree in time to score it. It was terrible and genius.
    If anyone gets Tang Garden and doesn't end up with the free Herbalist character, send me a PM with your address and I'll send you one free. They sent me 2.

kizt06hp9b9n.jpg

Oh wow that is nice. Need to add that to the list. Did you get a chance to play it yet?

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    That looks beautiful. Something I'm sure my wife would enjoy playing...unfortunately it looks like it's nearly impossible to get a hold of right now. But it's 100% on my watch list.

• Options
    It just came out for backers this week so it'll be on shelves soon I'm sure

• Options
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Oh wow that is nice. Need to add that to the list. Did you get a chance to play it yet?

Nope.

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    I went to a new board game cafe in Brooklyn that I’ve never been to and played a game (Concordia) that I’d never played. It was a night of firsts! Both were great.

The cafe is interesting in that it’s in about the exact spot I was looking seriously at opening a board game cafe a few years ago. I got as far as the business plan and the initial phases of some of the permits before deciding it wasn’t the right choice for me. I hope this one succeeds.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    did the cafe have a cat

i said did the cafe have a cat

• Options

kizt06hp9b9n.jpg

Hell yeah! Local gaming store has some copies pre-ordered for release on May 4th. And one of those copies now has my name on it!

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

Photosynthesis at 4 is evil. Two is a points race and crunching numbers. Three is a points race with some competition, and I agree the sweet spot. Really great board and becomes so beautiful as you play. There isn't really an issue with not getting actions. More of an issue that you just may be taking less optimal ones. My brother-in-law decided to lock down the central spot until 4 turns from the end because he knew that no one could plant and grow a tree in time to score it. It was terrible and genius.

kizt06hp9b9n.jpg

Have you tried the optional rules? 4 rounds, and the other being you cant plant or grow if the space is in shadow?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular

kizt06hp9b9n.jpg

Have you tried the optional rules? 4 rounds, and the other being you cant plant or grow if the space is in shadow?

Not yet. I've only gotten it to the table a few times with new players each time. So while I've tried each of the player counts, and have personally played it the most in my group, I haven't gotten a group that can start to do some different rules on it yet. My wife's been on a Star Realms kick (and I can't blame her. She's 4-0 from the last two times we've played).

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options

It's a game alright. The BGG rating of ~6-6.5 is probably accurate. I genuinely wouldn't recommend it unless you already know you're a big Wallace fan, in which case you've probably already played it. The best thing I can say is that I was allowed to play it very fast and loose and help push it to end fast so we could be done before midnight. I definitely appreciated that part of it~ But it's pretty damningly forgettable otherwise.

Update for those who are interested. I backed this, received this email from CMON.
    We would also like to let our backers know that CMON is only in charge of the Kickstarter edition of Marvel United. This includes the myriad of expansions, heroes and villains unlocked for backers during the campaign, many of which are Kickstarter exclusives. The retail distribution of the game is under the care of Spin Master, who is releasing the Marvel United core box, and only the core box, around August. While there is still a ton of work to be done to produce the 46 stretch goals and 5 expansion boxes, it was important to us to offer our backers the opportunity to receive their core box in tandem with the retail release. The only way to achieve this was to split the shipments into two waves. Of course, shipping two packages is more expensive than shipping a single package, and that extra cost will vary from destination to destination, which is why we set up a system for each backer to decide for themselves how they want to receive their game. Whether you select 2-Wave Expedited Shipping or not, all of the exclusive goodies we were able to unlock throughout this campaign are still set to be delivered at the same time as originally estimated.

We understand for some it isn’t acceptable that a retail release of the core box will be available before the full Kickstarter edition arrives. If you would like to cancel your pledge, please drop us a ticket at http://support.cmon.com before next Wednesday, and we can refund your pledge inclusive of fees, as per our terms and conditions. We will be sad to see you go, and only ask that you consider picking up the game from Spin Master once it’s available in retail.

• Options
    we can refund your pledge inclusive of fees

my god those absolute assholes

• Options
    Inclusive means they're including fees in the refund. You get all your money back.

• Options
    I cheerfully withdraw my slur.

english is hard

• Options
    ironzerg wrote: »

Update for those who are interested. I backed this, received this email from CMON.
    We would also like to let our backers know that CMON is only in charge of the Kickstarter edition of Marvel United. This includes the myriad of expansions, heroes and villains unlocked for backers during the campaign, many of which are Kickstarter exclusives. The retail distribution of the game is under the care of Spin Master, who is releasing the Marvel United core box, and only the core box, around August. While there is still a ton of work to be done to produce the 46 stretch goals and 5 expansion boxes, it was important to us to offer our backers the opportunity to receive their core box in tandem with the retail release. The only way to achieve this was to split the shipments into two waves. Of course, shipping two packages is more expensive than shipping a single package, and that extra cost will vary from destination to destination, which is why we set up a system for each backer to decide for themselves how they want to receive their game. Whether you select 2-Wave Expedited Shipping or not, all of the exclusive goodies we were able to unlock throughout this campaign are still set to be delivered at the same time as originally estimated.

We understand for some it isn’t acceptable that a retail release of the core box will be available before the full Kickstarter edition arrives. If you would like to cancel your pledge, please drop us a ticket at http://support.cmon.com before next Wednesday, and we can refund your pledge inclusive of fees, as per our terms and conditions. We will be sad to see you go, and only ask that you consider picking up the game from Spin Master once it’s available in retail.

Is this how CMON usually handles distribution, or is it different because the expect this game to be more popular (Marvel)?

• Options
    ironzerg wrote: »

Is this how CMON usually handles distribution, or is it different because the expect this game to be more popular (Marvel)?

i back a lot of cmon stuff and this is the first i've ever seen them do it

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Welp, I finally fell pretty to SUSD's enthusiasm for a game and ordered Unmatched and the Bruce Lee expansion. Honestly I almost went all-in and picked up the other expansion, too, but had a lucid moment and decided to wait.

In fairness to SUSD, there's basically no way to stop me from investing in a game that features both Bruce Lee and (soon) a pack of velociraptors as playable characters. Also the idea of just having Robert Muldoon, acting independently of Jurassic Park, taking on Bigfoot or Medusa tickles the hell out of me.

• Options
    You know, it'd be nice if Unmatched does well enough that Restoration Games ends up doing a not-Heroscape as well.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    For once I am ahead of the curve as I got Unmatched for Christmas! As a one on one duel game it’s okay but I’ve been enjoying it much more as a 4 player free for all.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Got to play Cryptid for the first time the other night and the whole group got hooked almost immediately, playing 3 times in rapid succession.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    For once I am ahead of the curve as I got Unmatched for Christmas! As a one on one duel game it’s okay but I’ve been enjoying it much more as a 4 player free for all.

Part of what drew me to it is that I can sometimes have trouble getting a 2 player game off the shelf because the one-on-one, meeting-of-minds style game I think can be intimidating to people who just want to have a bit of fun. Part of the draw of multiplayer games isn't just that they can fit more people, but that they also allow folks who aren't very competitive to compete while being a smaller part of a whole experience.

That this game seems to be a bit silly and swingy (and quick to play) I hope will make it a much less daunting 2 player experience, and that it also supports higher player counts makes it a perfect fit for me.

Hopefully, in any case. We'll see when it arrives!

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I just read that Stoneblade Entertainment (aka the Ascension people) are making Ascension Miniatures. Supposed to be a miniatures deck builder. They’re going to put it on KS because it’s pretty expensive and ambitious.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page