As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Warhammer - Age of Sigmar] The New Fantasy

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    TheGerbil wrote: »
    Khraul wrote: »
    This is still acceptable

Mostly because it'll be padding for all my big dinos.

You could do the 8 STEGADONS* list that is up on the Warhammer community website as well.

*Contains at least 1 bastiladon.

Honestly, I think it's possible to build a list with Carnosaurs, Stegadons as battleline, and then a couple bastiladons. I think there is a decent monster mash list in there.

Good luck trying to explain why a 1+ save means you ignore rend to your opponent though.

• KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »
    Khraul wrote: »
    This is still acceptable

Mostly because it'll be padding for all my big dinos.

You could do the 8 STEGADONS* list that is up on the Warhammer community website as well.

*Contains at least 1 bastiladon.

Honestly, I think it's possible to build a list with Carnosaurs, Stegadons as battleline, and then a couple bastiladons. I think there is a decent monster mash list in there.

Good luck trying to explain why a 1+ save means you ignore rend to your opponent though.

Yeah, I read that 1+ save thing and still don't really understand how it works.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    It's extremely unintuitive and will almost certainly be FAQd, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

It's extremely unintuitive and will almost certainly be FAQd, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Yeah, I fully expect it to be errated so the bastiladon has a 2+ save and reduces rend by 1.

• TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    I feel like in a lot of ways the old bastiladon was tankier.

3+ save ignore all rend and 4++ feel no pain.

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    The rule of 1 means the 1 always fails a save, right? Why is that complicated? it's basically a built in 'ignore rends of -1' like the army had on a bunch of models, right?

steam_sig.png
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    The rule of 1 means the 1 always fails a save, right? Why is that complicated? it's basically a built in 'ignore rends of -1' like the army had on a bunch of models, right?

It would have made more sense to just give it a 2+ save with a rule that let it ignore rends of -1 instead of doing some weird anti-game stuff.

See, this is the problem with it.

A natural one, always fails.

But because rend lowers the roll on the dice, and one is the minimum, a natural one is the only way to fail a save.

So an example.

Geoff the bastilladon takes a wound. You roll the save. You get a natural one. He loses a wound.
    He takes another, this time with -3 on the rend. You roll a 3. The rules state a lowest the dice can do is a 1. So you deduct three, to get a roll of a one. But its not a natural one. Its a modifed one. The big turtle fucker has a 1+ save, so RAW, makes it.

Anyone know which underworlds warbands are actually good in their respective armies? A lot seem really overpriced (points wise) and very underwhelming.

• Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Gashrak's Despoilers are the gold standard, with a +1 to hit spell that applies to any Chaos units. The kharadron arent horrible either cos they have basically all the KO keywords in one squad. Most of them are just flavourful little squads though, yeah.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I believe the Briar Queen is fairly nice independent spell caster, even if you have to bring the chaff with her.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    I remember people playing around with the Briar Queen when Nagash could use her spell and cast it off of a bigger footprint, for sure.

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    I'd just use them as stand-ins for something else.

Sic transit gloria mundi.

I do use Skritch as a stand in for a clawlord since his model is much nicer.

Will likely end up using the Tzeentch Magister as the same since he as a character doesn't seem that great.

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

Will likely end up using the Tzeentch Magister as the same since he as a character doesn't seem that great.

Using a tzeentch magister as a clawlord is a novel choice :P

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    How about Corvus Cabal? Are their AoS rules any good? And if not, is there a neat 'counts-as' option for them?

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    Most of the warcry bands are a bit weak in AoS, with the notable exception of the untamed beasts who are an awesome screening unit. The issue with proxying them is that they're all on different base sizes within the same unit and come in unusual unit sizes. If you can get them on 25s they'd make cool marauders. Or just run them as is and stick them on an objective if you dig the models.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Most of the warcry bands are a bit weak in AoS, with the notable exception of the untamed beasts who are an awesome screening unit. The issue with proxying them is that they're all on different base sizes within the same unit and come in unusual unit sizes. If you can get them on 25s they'd make cool marauders. Or just run them as is and stick them on an objective if you dig the models.

Ah, shame. Thanks for the advice, though.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png

Using a tzeentch magister as a clawlord is a novel choice :P

But also just as planned... Yes-yes.

• NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    I like the Splintered Fang for summoning as a Ravagers player. It's ten models, one of which is effectively a two wound bullet soak that comes back every turn, and they cause mortals on unmodified 6s to hit.

I also like Theddra because her spell really helps keep StD units alive just a little bit longer. I wish they would have FAQed her and the Darkoaths to be Undivided so they could benefit from Aura of Chaos, but eh... minor quibble.

The fact that none of the war cry stuff and like half the darkoath stuff can't take marks (or doesn't at least have undivided) makes them far less palatable to take since they don't interact with the main allegiance ability.

Anyone know which underworlds warbands are actually good in their respective armies? A lot seem really overpriced (points wise) and very underwhelming.

I like using Garrek's Reavers as a 60 point throwaway unit to sacrifice with a Slaughterpriest to get Blood Tithe points faster.

Magore's Fiends are nice to have since Riptooth is pretty fast and is one more model that can deny spells if you're up against a magic heavy army. Also, having more Blood Warriors never hurts.

The Stormcast ones are all pretty ok, but are also good as fillers to break up your army if you have a lot of ETB dudes. Also, Steelheart's Champions gives you two special weapons if you need them for Liberator squads.

I have a bunch of other warbands, but don't have the armies to run them with.

I like using Garrek's Reavers as a 60 point throwaway unit to sacrifice with a Slaughterpriest to get Blood Tithe points faster.

Magore's Fiends are nice to have since Riptooth is pretty fast and is one more model that can deny spells if you're up against a magic heavy army. Also, having more Blood Warriors never hurts.

The Stormcast ones are all pretty ok, but are also good as fillers to break up your army if you have a lot of ETB dudes. Also, Steelheart's Champions gives you two special weapons if you need them for Liberator squads.

I have a bunch of other warbands, but don't have the armies to run them with.

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Choosing what kind of base to do is difficult. I'm not feeling the cracked earth look I did on my test plague monk anymore so I'm trying to figure out what would look good and Skaveny. Kind of want to use something I can add grass tufts to.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2020
    Question for those playing Warcry - I built my terrain different than on the terrain cards (because GW’s instructions don’t match that for some reason)

How big of a deal do you think this is? I still have the same number of pieces, roughly the same size (1 of them actually matches exactly too).

Worth trying to break the glue bonds and reassemble? It’s already primed and partially painted.

My gut is no as given the alternative terrain generation methods in the Tome of Champions. I never do matches play either, all campaign so it seems like I could always translate the battlefield cards if needed.

Thoughts?

Vanguard on
    I have never used the terrain cards, just set it up in a way that looks cool and everyone's happy with, I wouldn't worry about trying to break stuff apart and reassemble just to match the cards.

The cards a just a way to randomise a board in the usual way. You'll muddle through.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    So talking with a friend of mine in wow about things to do outside the game. They got into AoS last year because of like me they wanted to play a certain army but found it silly with how it was in Warhammer. The Fyreslayers.
    So they asked about what I had for the DoK. in telling them and what I plan on getting sometime down the road. They remarked I only have two cauldrons one I was going to turn into the medusa shrine. I also have the old pushcart one. But they recommended I get another cauldron so I can run two in a game. I plan on getting 3 more witch boxes and 3 more medusi.
    Just I never thought of when I get my army fully built running two caldrons

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Thanks @Jam Warrior and @Halos Nach Tariff

Follow up question. My main gaming partner just moved away so I'm going to try and introduce my boardgame/rolepaying crew to Warcry as it kind of sits in the middle of the two. I have enough factions that I could just bring whatever, but I'm trying to think about how to modify the game for multiplayer. Anyone have resources for this? I have some basic thoughts (for games of 4+ need two boards, all symmetrical missions played as FFAs whereas the other mission cards could be team based).

There’s a bunch of 3-4 player rules already in the core rule book.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Cross-posting from the painting thread.

Finally done with this shit. Only one more of these to do and I'm not looking forward to it.

Spoiler'd for big shitty pictures
    N2rimhu.jpg
    61B1jhM.jpg
    QdEirvp.jpg
    JPNMM6I.jpg

Sorry, meant to say beyond those. Definitely enough there to get them started but thinking about the long haul here.

Vanguard wrote: »

Sorry, meant to say beyond those. Definitely enough there to get them started but thinking about the long haul here.

How about using the campaign rules?

Vanguard wrote: »

How about using the campaign rules?

That’s kinda what I want guidance on - how to handle group play using campaign rules. Converges probably need to be 2 players no matter what, but it would be cool to see a similar thing in group play.

Maybe I’ll home brew that.

Anyway, I based my Chimera this morning and just sprayed that as well as the Crusher and Arkham the Black for my Bonereapers, got a ton of hobby projects while I’m quarantined.

I've not played enough warcry to really help you out with suggestions, but the convergence campaign missions are definitely geared towards 1 vs 1 play, you could probably hack them for multiplayer though, the rules seem pretty flexible for that sort of thing. Games above 4 players might get a little clunky, you may need to experiment to see which mission types/deployments work best in that scenario, or have two games running simultaneously if you've got enough terrain and stuff I guess.

Anything above 4 players would probably require some serious tweaking to not just fall apart mechanically. Even at 3-4 players it's not perfect.

So... Preview #1 is this Saturday. Any predictions?

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    More lumineth is a safe bet, I think. New blood bowl team maybe.

Probably at least a teaser for the much rumoured Sons of Behemat in some form or other.

• McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    I'd sure love some giants. That old kit is so good but the rules are so bad, and they're one of the only allies I can take with ogres (the other being trolls, which are just... worse ogres).

website_header.jpg
This discussion has been closed.