As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hades] Supergiant Roguelite. Out now! (Switch/Steam/Epic)

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I really hope they don’t, because the basic attack combo’s speed is the only reason the weapon works. If you can’t get in, hit 5 quick times, and dash out, the weapon itself is a massive liability.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Chance wrote: »
    The fact that this thread is only five pages long is an affont to all that is good and righteous in the world.

My PC-playin' podcast buddy was talking up Hades early access all last year, so I bit on it once I upgraded my PC and look, I'm really looking forward to Doom Eternal and Dying Light 2 and TLoU 2 and Ghost of Tsushima and Cyberpunk 2077 but it is entirely possible that once I've put each of those to bed I'll still be playing Hades.

It is, by a huge margin, the best thing Supergiant's ever done. And Supergiant made fucking Bastion.

Hades is awesome and if you haven't tried this Early Access, lemmie tell ya - ya gotta!

Theres another thread for it in SE++.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Hades is awesome and if you haven't tried this Early Access, lemmie tell ya - ya gotta!

We're waiting for it to be done! :P

In the mood for a Transistor replay tho.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular

As somebody who beat and enjoyed Transistor... Hades is already a more complete and way better game at this point. It being a rogue-lite means that beating it once isn't the end by a long shot anyways, and there are more than enough reasons to keep beating it at this point. It's far more than ready to be released as a full game, but I'm guessing it has just sold well enough in early access that they can push hard on continuing to make huge updates before it hits 1.0.

• Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    So uh, the fists are amazing feeling. Though I think they're gonna tone down the attack speed on them because you can do some ridiculous stuff.

Well, on the one hand I just beat Dad 1st try with 'em - which I've never done with a new weapon before. On the other hand, it's also the first time I maxed out an Aspect the first time I tried a weapon (Zag). Oh let me weave the tale!
    Out the doors of the House, my first boon is a legendary...!
    7mogbf7xkrwb.png

To add insult to injury, for the rest of the run I got all the of buffs you want on your Poseidon knock-back - it knocks twice, it does +300 damage, it creates an explosion, they're ruptured - without having Poseidon on any ability save my call, later in the game.

With just Zeus on my fists I go into the Temple of Styx, I'm dealing pitiful damage with my fists, and I roll some dice and get Poseidon on a door... and end up with Poseidon on my special.

Suddenly, my uppercut is the World Cracker for the rest of the Temple. I'm walkin' around like One-Punch Man exploding dudes off of walls, but I know Zeus + Poseidon will both be pretty low-DPS on Dad, so I don't have high expectations. Which made it pretty cool to beat him - it was close and rough, like playing with a Chaos hazard hanging over you.

As somebody who beat and enjoyed Transistor... Hades is already a more complete and way better game at this point. It being a rogue-lite means that beating it once isn't the end by a long shot anyways, and there are more than enough reasons to keep beating it at this point. It's far more than ready to be released as a full game, but I'm guessing it has just sold well enough in early access that they can push hard on continuing to make huge updates before it hits 1.0.

I agree. But yeah, it's also not complete and finished and polished up edit: Wait. It's polished as heck. Scratch that. /edit. so if you really wanna' wait for that, I get it.

But it's absolutely awesome right now. It's a contendah.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    Oh also - in comparing it to Transistor...

Transistor was so, so stupidly deep in how all its skills and abilities combined but - yes - it took so long to do a run-through that it was hard to feel incentivized to do it, just to experiment with your shit for a run. Hades is as stupidly deep, but that total exploration of a build takes 45 minutes ish.

In Hades, you will experiment with your shit for a run because we are not giving you Demeter or Athena at all today and you will take what you get. And 45 minutes later you're like "goddamn, Aphrodite + Ares - who knew?"

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    I know it's been said, but this level of polish for something described as early access is obscene.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Oh also - in comparing it to Transistor...

Transistor was so, so stupidly deep in how all its skills and abilities combined but - yes - it took so long to do a run-through that it was hard to feel incentivized to do it, just to experiment with your shit for a run. Hades is as stupidly deep, but that total exploration of a build takes 45 minutes ish.

In Hades, you will experiment with your shit for a run because we are not giving you Demeter or Athena at all today and you will take what you get. And 45 minutes later you're like "goddamn, Aphrodite + Ares - who knew?"

Oh I’m not getting Demeter or Athena?

Lemme just pull out some keepsakes rull quick here

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    The Judge wrote: »
    I know it's been said, but this level of polish for something described as early access is obscene.

Yeah it's not comparable to (almost) any other indie.

It's like parts of a finished Klei game or... well no, if Drinkbox made half this game it'd be the best thing they'd ever done.

And I love Drinkbox. Who's another triple-A indie?

...Capy? Um...

I honestly can't think of anyone other than Klei. And it's Klei at their very best presentation.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    God damn, Arthur's blade is just raw fookin' power. I also got Athena's boon so the giant sweeping swings reflect everything.

• Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    Oh, boy! new content! time to start this again!

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    I'm just so torn on starting up Hades, despite buying it on Steam during the end-of-2019 sale. Despite the fact that the only Supergiant game I've completed is Bastion (bounced completely off of Transistor and dropped Pyre a dozen hours in), I'm really looking forward to playing it. But I don't know how I feel about playing games in Early Access - with Dead Cells, I started playing late into the Early Access phase but only played enough to complete a couple successful 0-rank runs before dropping it. Since then, there was a rehauling of enemy stats and speed rewards but I didn't feel incentivised enough to go back into the fray.

If Hades is the same way, and I only muster enough energy to just see the ending, I wonder if that energy is wasted on building my weapons and abilities up now, before things are complete. I also looked at the 10 GB download size and felt uncertainty towards potentially large downloads with each Major Update. But that action roguelike energy is so tempting...

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Honestly the only reason i havent gotten Hades yet is that i've not been able to budget for it. Else i'd be all over it

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    MrBlarney wrote: »
    I'm just so torn on starting up Hades, despite buying it on Steam during the end-of-2019 sale. Despite the fact that the only Supergiant game I've completed is Bastion (bounced completely off of Transistor and dropped Pyre a dozen hours in), I'm really looking forward to playing it. But I don't know how I feel about playing games in Early Access - with Dead Cells, I started playing late into the Early Access phase but only played enough to complete a couple successful 0-rank runs before dropping it. Since then, there was a rehauling of enemy stats and speed rewards but I didn't feel incentivised enough to go back into the fray.

If Hades is the same way, and I only muster enough energy to just see the ending, I wonder if that energy is wasted on building my weapons and abilities up now, before things are complete. I also looked at the 10 GB download size and felt uncertainty towards potentially large downloads with each Major Update. But that action roguelike energy is so tempting...

Honestly I've been enjoying the dripfeed of new content, nice incentive to come back to it. And the game already has a ridiculous amount of content.

As for patch sizes. Well this last one was 2GB and that includes a ton of extra voice work. I doubt they'll be much larger then that except maybe the actual release build.

• Options
    WhelkWhelk Registered User regular
    I bounced off of Dead Cells despite enjoying it a lot. Hades has that extra something that makes you look forward to playing it. There's plenty of micro-goals. They also didn't put the ending in, so that's coming with the full release. I am enjoying the story in it way more than I expected for a roguelite. Supergiant really never fails to deliver on that front.

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    Malphon is pretty fun

Obviously the fast attack speed lends itself to primary attack boons like zeus, dionysus, demeter

But looking at the hammer upgrades and certain aspects you could do some special based builds that would probably also be bonkers

• Options
    KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    I haven't played for a bit so I thought I'd boot it up and check out the latest patch, maybe do a quick run if I felt like it with the new weapon.

I look at the clock a short time later and it's 2am.

Korror on
    Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Did Than get a buff? Seemed like his attacks were resolving faster than usual. Only won by one and only then thanks to being able to snipe the souls after Than did the heavy lifting.

• Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    Road Block wrote: »
    Did Than get a buff? Seemed like his attacks were resolving faster than usual. Only won by one and only then thanks to being able to snipe the souls after Than did the heavy lifting.

Sounds probable. His events were far too easy to beat him by a huge margin, so that's a welcome change.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Finally got this. Digging it a lot. Mainly using the shield so far, couldnt stand the bow at all. Still need to unlock the Spear, and havent seen any other weapons yet. Have made it to Asphodel.

It's fun!

• Options
    Finally got this. Digging it a lot. Mainly using the shield so far, couldnt stand the bow at all. Still need to unlock the Spear, and havent seen any other weapons yet. Have made it to Asphodel.

It's fun!

When you unlock weapon aspects, the bow gets good

• Options
    I'll take your word for it. I've made it to the mid boss in Elysium once do far, by channeling the power of Punch

Which suits me just fine. Just unlocked the Demeter aspect for it though I'm yet to meet her in game yet

• Options
    I didn't beat the game till I unlocked aspects and poured a buncha titan blood all over the spear. Aspect of Hades FTW.

• Options
    I like the Guan Yu aspect best

• Options
    I'll take your word for it. I've made it to the mid boss in Elysium once do far, by channeling the power of Punch

Which suits me just fine. Just unlocked the Demeter aspect for it though I'm yet to meet her in game yet

Aspects are pretty transformative in terms of how you use a weapon

One of the bow aspects makes it so that when you shoot an enemy with a basic attack, your special flurry homes in on that enemy and they all hit

Now initially, it decreases the number of arrows your special fires pretty substantially, but when you max out that aspect, it goes almost back to normal

Think about getting Dionysus’ Special, where every special arrow that hits adds DOT stacks to enemies

Think about getting Artemis’ Special that imbues every arrow with a chance to crit, combined with some of her nastier crit modifiers and duo boons that give her crit bonus effects, and then think about the fact that almost every time you hit an enemy with your special, you’re going to proc crits

It’s bonkers

• Options
    That's my favorite bow Aspect. It's ridiculous, but in a fun way. One I can't really land on is the spear. I just haven't found a playstyle I like for it. I haven't tried Guan Yu yet, though.

• Options
    EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    Guan Yu aspect is definitely the strongest aspect of the spear currently, imo.

Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    I love Chiron aspect
    The only thing that annoys me about it is that I'm pretty sure Zeus special boon has a cap or something on how often an enemy can be struck by lightning or something so the one time I tried to do that I wasn't putting out nearly as much damage per special as I thought I would

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

Aspects are pretty transformative in terms of how you use a weapon

One of the bow aspects makes it so that when you shoot an enemy with a basic attack, your special flurry homes in on that enemy and they all hit

Now initially, it decreases the number of arrows your special fires pretty substantially, but when you max out that aspect, it goes almost back to normal

Think about getting Dionysus’ Special, where every special arrow that hits adds DOT stacks to enemies

Think about getting Artemis’ Special that imbues every arrow with a chance to crit, combined with some of her nastier crit modifiers and duo boons that give her crit bonus effects, and then think about the fact that almost every time you hit an enemy with your special, you’re going to proc crits

It’s bonkers

Or get a debuff that applies on your normal arrow shot, and another debuff that applies on your special. You now instantly always have the two-status damage bonus from the mirror active.

Bonus points if the special attack boon is Demeter and you also get the boon that detonates your target whenever they reach 10 chill stacks, you're rolling that explosion every 2-3 specials.

• Options
    I also like the weak on primary with poison on special and Dionysus/Aphrodite Duo Boon. You can actually maintain 8+ poison stacks that way.

• Options
    Grrrr. I'm pretty consistently making it to the final boss, but i'm yet to down him - there's some real hitbox dissonace it feels like. Very frustarting when i suddenly die with no real tell on what just killed me with him - especially when it hows the final boss a mile away.

Do have to say i'm not sure how i feel about the meta progression mechanics - it feels honestly sort of... distracting? Like i'm constantly going "argh, do i focus on meta power or trying to make this run a winner". Seeing stuff like needing a bunch of diamonds, or the lack of titan's blood to upgrade my weapon is pretty demoralizing.

Other than those issues, having a blast.

• Options
    Grrrr. I'm pretty consistently making it to the final boss, but i'm yet to down him - there's some real hitbox dissonace it feels like. Very frustarting when i suddenly die with no real tell on what just killed me with him - especially when it hows the final boss a mile away.

Do have to say i'm not sure how i feel about the meta progression mechanics - it feels honestly sort of... distracting? Like i'm constantly going "argh, do i focus on meta power or trying to make this run a winner". Seeing stuff like needing a bunch of diamonds, or the lack of titan's blood to upgrade my weapon is pretty demoralizing.

Stick with it, those eventually cease to be concerns. Once I got a win I got a ton in a row, and now I have more Ws than Ls.

Dodging Hades’ spin attack is the most important thing, because it wrecks face. He has a huge tell where he does an empty spin just prior, and then the real thing. Use your dodge i-frames to get the hell out of there when he does it.

I promise something will click and you will make it out! Just stick with it!

• Options
    Yeah, Hades kind of kicked my ass a few times before everything just clicked. He has tells for every attack, and you just gotta learn em.

• Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    Got around to trying the fists and oh boy these things are ridiculous. First run with them I set my best clear time without even trying! Some of it was just good luck with boons, but I ended up with primarily a dionysus/demeter mix on main/cast/dash attacks and artemis on special. Special was also further buffed by turning it into a seeking kick with AoE when it landed from hammer buffs. Stuff just melted. Looking forward to playing about with them a bit more as a great fast hitting melee option.

Unfortunately
    Zag didn't check both ways when crossing the road, and was run over by a chariot. Love the in-jokes about the game not being finished

• Options

Stick with it, those eventually cease to be concerns. Once I got a win I got a ton in a row, and now I have more Ws than Ls.

Dodging Hades’ spin attack is the most important thing, because it wrecks face. He has a huge tell where he does an empty spin just prior, and then the real thing. Use your dodge i-frames to get the hell out of there when he does it.

Indeed, i brought the foul fiend low. Nearly got him the second time, but got to quote the narrator, absolutely clobbered.
    09A274139F9AED7D1FE53575C1058151B14721E5

Ruthless Dodge is REAL GOOD, but dealing with hades with one dodge is a REAL PAIN. Currently working on upgrading my Fist with the aspect of demeter - that multihit on the charged special is vicious, especially if you can get something like Dinoysus, Artemis, Demter etc on it.

• Options

Indeed, i brought the foul fiend low. Nearly got him the second time, but got to quote the narrator, absolutely clobbered.
    09A274139F9AED7D1FE53575C1058151B14721E5

Ruthless Dodge is REAL GOOD, but dealing with hades with one dodge is a REAL PAIN. Currently working on upgrading my Fist with the aspect of demeter - that multihit on the charged special is vicious, especially if you can get something like Dinoysus, Artemis, Demter etc on it.

Yeah Demeter Aspect is real good for Attack/Special builds

The magnet one (can’t remember its name) is very good for cast builds now that I have it maxed out, plus it’s incredibly fun and satisfying to get Poseidon’s Special on it! Suck enemies into you with Special, then immediately punch them away again

• Options
    Poseidon low-key has the best Duo boons to get early

His Duo with Aphrodite makes all Poms give +1 level (I have gotten a boon up to lvl15 with this once, it was goofy)

His Dionysus Duo boon makes the minimum boon quality Epic, which if you get by Asphodel is just fuckin’ broken

• Options
    Poseidon low-key has the best Duo boons to get early

His Duo with Aphrodite makes all Poms give +1 level (I have gotten a boon up to lvl15 with this once, it was goofy)

His Dionysus Duo boon makes the minimum boon quality Epic, which if you get by Asphodel is just fuckin’ broken

I've got to admit, the more i play the more the metaprogression stuff is really bugging me- it's a: very grindy, and b: feels like anti-rewards pasts a ceartin point.

But the games balance is clearly not setup to handle you getting all in run-rewards. It just leaves a really unpleasant tension to things

• Options
    hushhush Registered User regular
    They attempt to turn them back into in-run rewards with varying degrees of success with some of the upgrades you can give them - also I felt like it was very grindy until they added fishing, now they seem pretty mild if you get 2-3 catches per run (so many rewards). If/when you can grab fishing you should see a pretty incredible uptick in gems/keys/nectar.

This is the future. This is what we built. This is what we wanted. It must have been. Because we all had the fucking choice, didn't we? It is only our money that allows commercial culture to flower. If we didn't want to live like this, we could have changed it at any time, by not fucking paying for it.

So let's celebrate by all going out and buying the same burger. -transmet
  • Options
    hush wrote: »
    They attempt to turn them back into in-run rewards with varying degrees of success with some of the upgrades you can give them - also I felt like it was very grindy until they added fishing, now they seem pretty mild if you get 2-3 catches per run (so many rewards). If/when you can grab fishing you should see a pretty incredible uptick in gems/keys/nectar.

Yeah, I've just picked those up.

Fishing honestly just feels irritating to me - One of the least interesting takes on a fishing mini game.