As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The First Rule of [Cook Club] (Cook-along Week 46: Okonomyaki)

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    So whether or not I made proper gumbo, it still turned out really tasty! It's very flavourful. And now I have several containers of leftovers to get me through these uncertain times.

XEecIio.jpg

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    my andouille is not taking smoke and it's pissing me off

• Options
    not as thick as I usually make it, but DAMN is it good

kekceoruy7ym.jpg

• Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    Mmm, I feel like I can smell both of those dishes from here <3

I still have an abundance of tikka masala and pasta sauce, so I will postpone my gumbo until tomorrow. Wyborn and I went for a stroll today and passed by two grocery stores with crazily empty produce shelves. Really weird! Makes me wonder if it's people who don't usually cook at home? At any rate, I've got all my ingredients so cooking them tomorrow should go smoothly.

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    SilverWind wrote: »
    Mmm, I feel like I can smell both of those dishes from here <3

I still have an abundance of tikka masala and pasta sauce, so I will postpone my gumbo until tomorrow. Wyborn and I went for a stroll today and passed by two grocery stores with crazily empty produce shelves. Really weird! Makes me wonder if it's people who don't usually cook at home? At any rate, I've got all my ingredients so cooking them tomorrow should go smoothly.

It would be nice to think that this situation might lead to an increase in the number of people who cook from home.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    We made green curry this week and it’s deliiiiiiicious.

I think I just might make different curries every weekend forever until I die, now.

• Options
    796dy8238kx4.png

Turns out I had a bag of frozen okra in my freezer from who knows when. I added okra, roux, AND filé because I am an unconventional rebel

This time no shrimp as the giant pot we usually make this in was already full to spilling. This should see us through the next few days.

Apologies for not getting the next week's recipes up yet, Wyborn and I had a series of computer problems today! Is "make something with a root vegetable" laid back enough for these COVID times? I may swap around the next couple weeks to make sure they're easy for procurement too. Please recommend recipes for this week / alternative options for the next few. :)

signature.png
  • Options
    I'm down for whatever!

root veggies means cottege pie!

• Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    There was no okra, no file, no scallions and precious little cayenne, but my first ever crack at gumbo from scratch was a success. It will be nice to have a few servings of this in the fridge as I'm housebound for the next while.

A couple process pics:

qkk9veonziv3.jpg

lz1t2noxq1mx.jpg

The finished product

qmkh6yi24f20.jpg

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    Shalmelo, I'm proud of you! <3 That gumbo looks super rich and dark

Root vegetable recipes are up! Please enjoy~

Also note I shifted the next few weeks around a bit. Cinnamon rolls/swirl breads and roast chicken ingredients should be easier to acquire and make

signature.png
  • Options
    BACON Vinaigrette, you say...!?

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    I present to you... GUMBO

2c3t7tpe7i4z.jpg

uf1s7xzqabd2.jpg

8kpry1ngllz7.jpg

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Since it's root veg week, for those who are doing a mash of some sort (potato, turnip, carrot, parsnip, beets, etc) either as is, or baked, consider some goat's cheese. It's very good for that.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I'm going to try to find some Haggis and make Nips and Tatties, but to make it a little more interesting I'm thinking I roast the nips and mash the tatties instead of just mashing both.

This might all fall apart and I'll end up roasting carrots, I know a good tajin based cream sauce that works really well on roast veggies.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    SilverWind wrote: »
    Shalmelo, I'm proud of you! <3 That gumbo looks super rich and dark

Thanks! I dunno if I had the burner set too high or what, but I actually stopped cooking the roux several minutes ahead of schedule because it was already starting to look like dark chocolate.

Like most of the soup/stew-type things we've done, I'm super excited to try out a second serving now that it's had a chance to sit in the fridge overnight.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    that roux looks amazing

• Options
    I assumed finding haggis would be a little difficult...I was not expecting every store to be out of potatoes. Wild times we're living in.

I got a bunch of rutabaga though!

I like to ART
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Im hoping there's some ground beef or something at the food store. Cottage pie sounds very appealing right now. I've got the potatoes.

• Options
    that's what I'm making on Friday =)

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Some sheperd’s Pie variant sounds nice.

I mean, technically I’ve aleeady done a root vegetable dish this week; frittata with sweet potato base. But I still want to do that pie.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    there was, in fact, no mince.

but i did pick up a beef roast.

• Options
    I made like 3 pounds of egg scramble today for brunch.

My girlfriend’s working form home and my morning class was canceled so I clambered out of bed around 9:30 and did up some bacon, onions, and shrooms then threw 5 scrambled eggs on top, cooked those up a bit then sprinkled on the Colby jack and stirred it around so it got all gooey, then dumped it all on a plate and loaded on a few more handfuls of cheese.

We were both very full and very happy and I really think this girl who bought property with me is starting to like me a little bit.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Root vegetables, I thought. Who do I know who has a nigh-fanatical appreciation for root vegetables? And do they have any recipes?

I snapped my fingers. "Brian Motherfuckin' Jacques," I said, startling the lady in front of me in line at the bank.

So I tracked down a recipe for Friar Wopple's Deeper 'n Ever Turnip 'n Tater 'n Beetroot Pie.

wcst20vu54sm.png

Happily, I was able to track down just about everything in the recipe, except my store was slap out of mushrooms and parsnips. C'est la pandémie. I did manage to snag the last two leeks in the store, which made me feel like a proper looter. I also picked up some goat cheese to top the pie with. Because while there are no goats in Redwall, I have the utmost faith that anthropomorphic moles would go buck wild for baked goat cheese.

qoidmdgrewj8.png

Woo! Root vegetables!

4lpgdeyrgqa4.png

Woo! Pie! (Nobody tell my grandma about my jank-ass crust. She taught me better than this, but the prep time was longer than I expected and at that point I was too hungry to crimp.)

ibq9wamfmkun.png

This one is definitely going into the rotation. It takes a lot of chopping, but it's extremely filling and savory, like a good roast beef dinner. But instead of being filled with saturated fat, it's all kinds of vitamins and fiber with goat cheese on top.

Also, it's another dish that would travel very well for Thanksgiving, if you assembled it and then did the final bake at your destination.

Thanks, Brian Jacques! I'm still not super jazzed about how racist you were toward ferrets, but this was a really good dish.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    ooh erm that lookee likeum fine pie mmhmm

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Oo arr.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I would have loved to try something new, like taro, but in these difficult times I decided to make my comfort food: mashed sweet potatoes. And I’m going to use my cooking DS games as much as possible.

T8jvITH.jpg
    WiwI68K.jpg

The trick is to cook the sweet potatoes in butter and cream instead of boiling them in water. I served it with some of the leftover beef burgundy from before. It was absolutely delicious.

DsUjMcp.jpg

And speaking of previous things we’ve made, I also make bread.

DRd7qMs.jpg

• Options
    Cottage Pie turned out amazing!

en5wtayicdba.jpg

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Shepherd's/cottage pie are, like, top tier foods. It's just so good. One of those things I only make very occasionally since it's a guaranteed ticket to very large portions town, population: me.

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    Neeps and tatties and haggis! I used rutabaga to make it Scottish, heavy cream for the potatoes which made them creamy a hell. The sauce was... interesting because we kind of made our own quick mustard?

Honestly the whole thing came out pretty good!
    And I got to gross out the people I cooked for.

37PzPZV.jpg

Details: http://imgur.com/a/noRWUUG

I like to ART
  • Options
    I've been fighting a cough due to changing seasons for about 2 weeks.
    I've been without a voice for over 1 week.

But I'm starting to feel better, and so I made effort in making dinner. But, my root vegetable was just potatoes.

Beef bolar roast that went into the slow cooker for a long time i have no idea how long. cooked with onions, celery, carrots, green bell pepper
    braising liquid was tomato paste, brown mustard, garlic, beef bouillion, onion soup mix (seriously, these things are essential for slow cooker!), and some light brown sugar, thyme, bay leaf, rosemary, sage, salt and pepper.

After the beef was thoroughly done in the slow cooker, I still needed to cook the potatoes.
    Cut the potatoes and mushrooms into decent chunks, tossed in olive oil and a roast veg seasoning salt (i really need more of that) and put them in the roasting pan with the Beef. I then made a glaze for the beef, like I would if I was making a corned beef.

Tomato paste, brown mustard, worcestershire sauce, and brown mustard

Glazed that on the beef roast and then cooked in the oven for about 30 minutes while finishing the gravy (from the braising liquid with butter and flour), and steaming the broccoli.

So. Good.

I"m looking at another weekend coming up being stuck with the Kid since there's no swim or gymnastics lessons coming up.

• Options
    Amazing, everyone--great work!

I'm doing the roasted root vegetables, something super simple. I wanted to sample some vegs I've never tried before / tried very little of (celery root, kholrabi (in unpickled form), parsnips)

Though the recipe called for cumin, I uh.. accidentally reached for the same looking bag and doused it in garam masala instead. Should still taste awesome though!

signature.png
  • Options
    xckjvzhaxlhp.png

Here's the end result. Not very pretty at all, but very tasty! I really enjoyed sampling a bunch of different root vegetables, though in the end it was a bit difficult to tell them apart :lol:

Gonna update and put the swirly dough recipes later this afternoon! I was thinking pinwheel cookies, cinnamon or other buns, and... swiss rolls? Rugelach? Maybe everything

signature.png
  • Options
    Recipes are up!

It's a weird theme again, but that should mean we can be really flexible with what we make. Can't wait to see everyone's creations!

...I am probably going to do the rugelach, with nutella

signature.png
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Hah!

I have not been on the forums much for the last week and change but I coincidentally decided to make a Danish coffee cake over the weekend.

hfIIvlVh.jpg

Filled it with black tea and scotch soaked raisins and currants, and a mix of some cocoa and espresso powder, brown sugar, shaved almonds and chocolate chips

So it's a laminated yeasted dough because I thought of doing something easy for once and was like lolno

I basically used the new Joy of Cooking's Danish coffee cake recipe, with an off-the-cuff filling

Had to work EXTREMELY fast on the laminations - even with the aircon on in the living room in a kitchen in Singapore it heats up fast. So my first turn was problematic because the butter was a bit too cold still because I left it in the fridge overnight - and the second turn was problematic - some butter leaked through - because I didn't shove it in the fridge in between (Joy of Cooking said I could manage two turns between refrigerations and this is when you realize that it was not written for the tropics). Instituted fifteen minutes between turns after that though and it went fine.

My biggest issues were in execution of the final steps - the measurements for rolling out the dough at the end were to go for a 29"x11" rectangle, and I marked that shape out on my countertop but the final result was NOT long enough to easily coil into a circle and connect. I think it probably should have been at least 12", possibly 13" - will probably do 24"x13" next time. The difficulty in coiling the dough after rolling it meant the outer layer tore in two spots as it was being handled.

The final product was baked through just right and has very nice visible layers but was a bit too done on top obviously. Might turn down the heat a bit if I do it again.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Whoa, incredible!

I haven't tried anything with lamination yet and I'm a little intimidated. It looks delicious though!

signature.png
  • Options
    since I can't bake for crap, my GF is taking over this week and will make gluten free cinnamon rolls!

• Options
    I like to ART
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Oooh, the pinwheel cookie recipe looks fun!

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Maybe I'll try my hand at some brioche. Homemade brioche into homemade French toast seems like adequate quarantine food.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I have been bad in previous weeks because of travel and then coronavirus (it wasn't a big deal when I was travelling in the before-times of PAX East, I swear!), but I got around to cooking for this week! Root veggie gratin!

osRyOHUh.jpg

AsDcTDCh.jpg

Very tasty, even if it kinda feels like it turned out as more of "pile of ingredients that taste good" and less of a dish.

I ate an engineer