As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Streaming Services] You love them, you hate them, you have them all.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    I've just started watching Ozark on my commute (you're welcome, people sitting behind me during the strip club scenes)

It's bloody good - I'm already on the second season

On balance, I'd say it's not as good as Breaking Bad, but it's hitting a lot of the same notes

Kind of like a rearrangement into a minor key with even fewer innocent characters

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Watched "I Am Not Okay With This". I have no idea where this is going but I am on-board for the voyage.

I watched it one sitting, and loved it.

The main actress is fantastic, as is the brother and neighbour guy.

Apparently based on a comic, which I might track down, as I cant wait for season 2.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Ugh, blew straight through Beastars! It was so fucking good! And way too short! I need season 2 now!!!

That hen tho. <3

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    I checked out Dave and its super good. Admittedly I like his music so I was already prime target audience, but its really good.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I've just started watching Ozark on my commute (you're welcome, people sitting behind me during the strip club scenes)

It's bloody good - I'm already on the second season

On balance, I'd say it's not as good as Breaking Bad, but it's hitting a lot of the same notes

Kind of like a rearrangement into a minor key with even fewer innocent characters

Series one was excellent and then it seems to suffer from not knowing how long it's going to run so the pacing ends up really strange

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Pacing seemed off to be from the start of Ozarks. They were as turbofucked from the start pretty much as Breaking Bad was toward the end.

Though never did finish season 1, come to think of it.

• Options
    I think that's one of the things I like about it

The Byrds just seem to be bouncing from one disaster to the next

(Late season one spoilers)
    "We can make the payments as long as the lady who gave us her savings to invest doesn't die"

Fine minutes later:

*Lady dies*

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Ugh, blew straight through Beastars! It was so fucking good! And way too short! I need season 2 now!!!

Yeah, I guess each episode was actually just about ~18 mins or so, huh? (Subtracting credit sequences)

I really enjoyed it, enough to just watch the whole thing in a sitting, though I was amused at how it was framed as though the initial crime (and the "solving" thereof) was somehow central to the show — which, uh, yeah, it's a catalyst, but mostly the show is about the moral & ethical complexities of eating or... fucking the rabbit.

I also really appreciated how, much like other strong contemporary anime (like Eizouken), it's not afraid to be wildly divergent in its styles from scene to scene, driven largely by how best to convey the internal emotional states of its characters.

I hope Legoshi's canidae-bros get a bigger slice of airtime in the future.

• Options
    Prime has seasons 2 and 4 of Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares up

So I can watch the Revisited episodes, where he returns to the restaurants he saw in seasons 1 and 3

Fuck's sake, Prime, show a little bit of fucking passion!

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Trying out The Protector. It’s interesting to see how different countries take on the sci-fi/fantasy genre. I also tried out Ragnarok but I’m not getting the urge to watch more after the second episode.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    If you haven't heard yet, Frozen 2 is now out on Disney+, several months earlier than planned just because of how many people (kids especially) are stuck home recently

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Nice of Disney to take advantage of the situation by giving kids a reason to pester their parents to buy Disney+ because they have no other choice.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Nice of Disney to take advantage of the situation by giving kids a reason to pester their parents to buy Disney+ because they have no other choice.

What kind of hypothetical kids do you think are somehow aware that Frozen 2 is coming to Disney+ early and will be pestering their parents to get it? How does a kid young enough to be that into Frozen 2 even find out that it's launching on Disney+ months ahead of time? It's not like they're going to be hearing about it from friends at school anytime soon.

Seriously, fuck off with this cynical bullshit. My daughter was begging me to buy Frozen 2 on Friday so that she could see it again. I told her we would wait for it to get to Disney+ (which we already have a 3 year subscription to) and endured the ensuing sobs. An hour later I saw the news about it coming to Disney+ in two days and told her and it made her night. It was a bit of blessedly positive news that left her ecstatic in the midst of a succession of negatives, and I'm grateful for it right now.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Any kid with access to the internet? So every single one?

I'm sure Disney is glad you could come out to defend the mega-corporation taking your money though.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Any kid with access to the internet? So every single one?

I'm sure Disney is glad you could come out to defend the mega-corporation taking your money though.

My kids are 5 and 8 and have zero access to the internet, outside of limited amounts in school. And that's not unusual at all for their age range, in my experience talking to fellow parents. Disney makes a whopping $3 a month from our Disney+ subscription, and I pay it gladly. But man, you sure are cool with your hot takes here.

Ketar on
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Kids 8 and under have access to the internet, Disney can use the situation to make money and be doing something nice at the same time and parents have the final say over if they get money.

So ends my hot take.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited March 2020

Yep, that sure is something a parent would do for a single movie before just, you know, buying it if their kid wanted it that bad.

This statement, and your subsequent one are needlessly pessimistic. Mega Corps tend to to good things for positive PR too, which is where this action squarely falls.

LostNinja on
  • Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular

So let's break this down. I can buy the movie for $20 or so, or get a Disney+ subscription for $7 a month for the one movie. This would be literally the worst business move ever if that was their plan since they are losing money in absolute terms and through a system that drains more of their resources. This is utter nonsense.

Disney is absolutely trying to get your money. They are doing it by filling a need for a parent in a way that will increase good will. It is not a coincidence that a movie scheduled for release over summer break got released over a different break, but it's also not a way to force their subscriptions on people.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I signed up for Hulu again for a free month because of work from home, and the UI got even worse than 2 years ago. Holding down things to actually get to real menus, the episode selection on things like King of the Hill all the way at the bottom and then divided up, what the fuck, Disney.

I wanted to send my info to my parents so they'll have something to watch too but I can guarantee they're going to look at the main screen and go "I keep scrolling down and all these shows don't make sense why is Saturday Night Live next to Lego Masters"

I guess I'll just watch King of the Hill and Seinfeld over and over

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I signed up for Hulu again for a free month because of work from home, and the UI got even worse than 2 years ago. Holding down things to actually get to real menus, the episode selection on things like King of the Hill all the way at the bottom and then divided up, what the fuck, Disney.

I wanted to send my info to my parents so they'll have something to watch too but I can guarantee they're going to look at the main screen and go "I keep scrolling down and all these shows don't make sense why is Saturday Night Live next to Lego Masters"

I guess I'll just watch King of the Hill and Seinfeld over and over

Searching always throws me off, you click in the search bar which opens a new search bar which I then have to click in because I kept clicking search expecting to be able to type my search requests in what looks like a search bar. Who designed this?

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    kime wrote: »
    If you haven't heard yet, Frozen 2 is now out on Disney+, several months earlier than planned just because of how many people (kids especially) are stuck home recently

And a few hours later, I can now reliably say that if you haven't seen Frozen 2 yet, you should.

kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Also, the DVD has been out for awhile. If you as a parent were gonna buy it, there's a decent chance you already did.

I certainly still collect a Disney BluRay collection because pre-Disney+ it's availability on streaming services was far from stable plus Disney+ might not be the best deal plus sometimes the internet is down.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

And a few hours later, I can now reliably say that if you haven't seen Frozen 2 yet, you should.

Hard disagree.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    The other night my wife wanted us to watch a movie together, "NO ANIME, NO WESTERNS." Why even bother? Anyways, started to flick through things, "Too long" etc, was said. Eventually when she looked away I put on the first Lord of the Rings - it's the extended edition no less. "THREE HOURS!"

"It's ok, it's just the first third, the whole thing is really 9+ hours, so it's relatively short."

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

The music isn't as good as the first one, but it's a better movie.

Lost in the Woods is a better song than Into the Unknown. This is fact.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »

It doesn't have any character arc or growth! There's tons of plot threads that are brought up and then just... aren't addressed any more! They introduce yet another black man who is the captain of the guard!

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

It doesn't have any character arc or growth! There's tons of plot threads that are brought up and then just... aren't addressed any more! They introduce yet another black man who is the captain of the guard!

i don't understand what this is referencing outside of the movie. help me

• Options
    First prequel flick at least.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Pailryder wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

i don't understand what this is referencing outside of the movie. help me

It's a thing that keeps happening.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular

I watched it yesterday (bought the UHD blu-ray last week, no regrets) and I agree with this entirely. The music overall wasn’t as catchy (and thus won’t haunt me in my dreams), but I liked the movie better.

• Options
    What's the first frame from?

• Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Live action Cinderella I think.

• Options
    madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    The other night my wife wanted us to watch a movie together, "NO ANIME, NO WESTERNS." Why even bother? Anyways, started to flick through things, "Too long" etc, was said. Eventually when she looked away I put on the first Lord of the Rings - it's the extended edition no less. "THREE HOURS!"

"It's ok, it's just the first third, the whole thing is really 9+ hours, so it's relatively short."

Extended editions? More like 11.5 hours no kidding

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »

I watched it yesterday (bought the UHD blu-ray last week, no regrets) and I agree with this entirely. The music overall wasn’t as catchy (and thus won’t haunt me in my dreams), but I liked the movie better.

Yep. I mean, neither is as good as Moana, but it's better than the first.

Also Tangled is still the best.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    madparrot wrote: »

50+ if you watch the blu-ray/DVDs and run through all the commentary tracks. I've done this twice.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Finished Girls Und Panzer, easily the feel good young girls driving tanks movie of the spring.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    madparrot wrote: »

Yeah, extended edition for the whole trilogy? May as well LARP the thing realtime and to scale, it'll be shorter.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Finished Girls Und Panzer, easily the feel good young girls driving tanks movie of the spring.

I still need to see the movies and OVA. But yeah, definitely a fun little show. Tankery as a school sport is such a fun idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRcZ_IP9uEU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaFkzrAD7Pg

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Ok, so do they like... shoot paint rounds or something?

Because even if everybody is in tanks, they're shooting at each other with tank cannons. And machine guns. Both of these are notorious for being able to easily kill, well, any multicelled complex organism that has ever lived on planet Earth.

Which seems less than ideal for a school sport.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Ok, so do they like... shoot paint rounds or something?

Because even if everybody is in tanks, they're shooting at each other with tank cannons. And machine guns. Both of these are notorious for being able to easily kill, well, any multicelled complex organism that has ever lived on planet Earth.

Which seems less than ideal for a school sport.

This is the anime-verse, a tank cannon is no less dangerous than a baseball.

Which isn't saying its not dangerous, just that even a baseball can explode you into a fine mist in anime.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
This discussion has been closed.