As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Borderlands] Wonderlands! I Pull Out My Robe and Wizard Gat.

• KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    BL3 finally coming to Steam, sell me on why to buy now instead of just waiting for the much cheaper ultimate edition to come out in X months/years.

Karoz on
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »
    BL3 finally coming to Steam, sell me on why to buy now instead of just waiting for the much cheaper ultimate edition to come out in X months/years.

Well 50 bucks for everything is probably as cheap as itll get on steam seeing as they don't have the handsome collection

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    A $50 season pass vs $30 base + $20 season pass is tempting but I'm hesitant to spring more money if the content is so-so.

Karoz wrote: »
    A $50 season pass vs $30 base + $20 season pass is tempting but I'm hesitant to spring more money if the content is so-so.

So far the one dlc has been better than the entire main game storywise.

Good to hear, still undecided on picking it up, thankfully I have till the 20th.

Thanks for the info though, I do appreciate it.

edited March 2020
    No problem. I was gonna double dip untl 2K fucked over my only way to play it on PC

The other benefit of the steam version is the fan mod community will probably undo a lot of the nerf hotfixes

King Riptor on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I quit following the news and patch cycle for Borderlands 3. I basically quit right around the time of the Halloween event.

So I'm not sure what sort of class balancing has been done lately. I know they nerfed the mech girl's grenade build into the ground. And that was her only viable build back then. Did they ever actually make the mech good, or give her a viable build after completely destroying all the good grenades?

What about the pet guy? His pets were pretty much all useless, and his strong build was the stealth-crit build, which also got heavily nerfed. Repeatedly. Like every single patch they nerfed it more. Did they ever fix his pets or do anything to compensate for the super aggressive nerfing on his stealth build?

Was Zane's shield ever made good? Most every build I saw for Zane was using the decoy and the drone, and the shield was pretty much ignored. Maybe that's just a perception thing. I never tried Zane myself. But just as a casual observer, that's what I saw. Ignoring the shield. And his other actives weren't that great either.

I was an Amara main, and Amara actually felt pretty good to me.

• ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    There is an infinite shield build using his Freeze skill.

Looked nifty but not sure how it does with bosses.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • RiboflavinRiboflavin Registered User regular

Freezy Zane was my first build. Shield/Clone

3 freeze weapons + 1 odd ball weapon for the cold resistant.

When I froze something with my shields and health full it would reset the timer for my clone and shield. Clone was freezing stuff because it had a duplicate of my gun. I never maximized it via searching the web but DANG my shield would stay up for a loooong time. I did considerably less damage however.

So in summary its great for teams of 4. We used it a bunch for circles of slaughter. I provide the domed shield(one of the upgrades) and the rest would hang out in or around my shield killing things. (it gets too hectic to hang out in the shield sometimes but its a great spot to run to to let your shield regen+I had the power where you do more damage shooting through the shield) In boss battles the shield was awesome and protected against spammy boss attacks. Red circles on the ground? Dome shield protects. Giant black balls filling half the screen? Dome Shield provides.

TLDR:I would not solo with it due to the reduced damage output compared to other builds but great for teams.

• DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I quit following the news and patch cycle for Borderlands 3. I basically quit right around the time of the Halloween event.

So I'm not sure what sort of class balancing has been done lately. I know they nerfed the mech girl's grenade build into the ground. And that was her only viable build back then. Did they ever actually make the mech good, or give her a viable build after completely destroying all the good grenades?

What about the pet guy? His pets were pretty much all useless, and his strong build was the stealth-crit build, which also got heavily nerfed. Repeatedly. Like every single patch they nerfed it more. Did they ever fix his pets or do anything to compensate for the super aggressive nerfing on his stealth build?

Was Zane's shield ever made good? Most every build I saw for Zane was using the decoy and the drone, and the shield was pretty much ignored. Maybe that's just a perception thing. I never tried Zane myself. But just as a casual observer, that's what I saw. Ignoring the shield. And his other actives weren't that great either.

I was an Amara main, and Amara actually felt pretty good to me.

I use grenade Moze at mayhem 4 and it's pretty unkillable. But you need a very specific set of gear to make it work. And Bear gets popped just to make use of his splash damage to refill my grenades and activate anointment bonuses.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    There's a specific Zane build (Chain Zane) that is top-tier, but requires a class mod from the DLC. The class mod procs all kill skills as a percent chance for every shot, so you max out the good kill skills and synergize with permanent drone and shield (while in combat to keep it going). Pair with Redistributor and it's pretty insane (guys doing the M4 Takedown without a shield or grenade even equipped.)

I only picked up the game recently with the deluxe version on sale at GMG, so played the DLC at level 14 on my way through the game and got that class mod. Made the entire game super enjoyable (compared to what I hear Zane used to be like). Playing with all the +movement speed skills made it feel like playing a cracked out oldschool UT game or something.

• yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    On my Zane I picked up a legendary rocket launcher that’s basically a mini nuke. I don’t even use the thing, just equip it and then pop my clone which proceeds to nuke everything in sight while I do nothing. Right now my clone can solo some bosses and his splash damage doesn’t hurt me.

"I see everything twice!"

edited March 2020
    Yeah a lot of Zane builds would love to have that capstone skill. Theyll hopefully raise the cap after mayhem 2.0 launches since everyone will need to farm again anyway

King Riptor on
    Does Borderlands 3 support any sort of save cloud?

I'm pretty sure I was able to move characters back and forth from Borderlands 2 and TPS between my PS3 and my PC. Wondering if I can do the same thing with 3. Like move my Amara from PS4 and load her into Steam?

Riboflavin wrote: »

When I froze something with my shields and health full it would reset the timer for my clone and shield. Clone was freezing stuff because it had a duplicate of my gun. I never maximized it via searching the web but DANG my shield would stay up for a loooong time. I did considerably less damage however.

So in summary its great for teams of 4. We used it a bunch for circles of slaughter. I provide the domed shield(one of the upgrades) and the rest would hang out in or around my shield killing things. (it gets too hectic to hang out in the shield sometimes but its a great spot to run to to let your shield regen+I had the power where you do more damage shooting through the shield) In boss battles the shield was awesome and protected against spammy boss attacks. Red circles on the ground? Dome shield protects. Giant black balls filling half the screen? Dome Shield provides.

TLDR:I would not solo with it due to the reduced damage output compared to other builds but great for teams.

How does it do with Cryo grenades?

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Well, I'm sad to report that platform cross play does not mean you have a single pool of characters. My EGS characters (and all my guardian points) are not accessible from Steam, even logged into SHiFT.

Oh well. The very definition of a first world problem.

Nice to see some more PAers playing now that it's on Steam and with a healthy Steam-launch discount in any case. :)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Can you not copy the save files over?

Pretty half ass, first they tout cross play between PC's like it's something to be proud of and then you can't use your characters?

edited March 2020
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Can you not copy the save files over??

Oh, that's a smart thing to wonder!

Yes, you can move your save file! :)

Linked from a larger FAQ Gearbox put out about crossplay.

EDIT: VICTORY!
    0rP0BAU.jpg

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    There's been a ton of balance fixes to the game. Iron bear build for moze is mayhem 4 viable, especially with the raging bear mod. The vanquisher rocket pods (with no extras) are the best for overall damage. There are also various splash master or green monster com builds that work for moze, but since they nerfed hex functionality with vampyr, a purple atlas grenade (cloning maddening tracker) is essential for the builds.

Zane is in a great place for mayhem 4 with the DLC class mod (seeing dead), he is my go-to character for the maliwan takedown (free raid content). The chain zane build mentioned is fantastic.

Amara was always super powerful and there are a bunch of mayhem 4 builds that work great for her. Her builds revolve typically around the spiritual driver com or the phasezerker com. Personally I much prefer phasezerking with the ties that bind action skill. Unfortunately it doesn't seem possible to make a viable melee build for mayhem 4, even on amara who is the strongest melee character.

Fl4k is also perfectly viable at mayhem 4. He is my least played character but my current build revolves around megavore in the red tree and using action skill end anointed weapons, shields and grenades. The wedding invitation is a great gun for fl4k, but since it was a time limited item it's no longer available if you didn't get it earlier during its event.

Gearbox have buffed a ton of weapons in recent weeks so there are way more fun ways to shoot stuff now. I am slightly afraid of Mayhem 2.0 coming soon which looks like a repetition of the OP levels from BL2. I never played OP levels. I much prefer the current mayhem 4 level.

People keep saying IB is viable but the Mod actually isnt that great. Moze is better off using IB to trigger annointments

People keep saying IB is viable but the Mod actually isnt that great. Moze is better off using IB to trigger annointments

I respectfully disagree. Sure it may be more efficient to use iron bear to trigger anoints only, but if you want to stomp around in your mech wrecking stuff it is doable in mayhem 4.

Did they up the legendary drop rates? I have so many gold weapons now, on all characters. It feels like maybe they saw how shit Anthem was and realized how much people love good loot.

I'm level 16 on my new Steam version of the game, and I've found 4 legendaries so far. That seems like more than I found on PS4 by that same level.

I forget the name of it now, but I found a pistol at like level 12 that just melts everything. I killed Captain Traunt in like 6 seconds. It's kinda ridiculous how strong this pistol is. Of course, being level 12 it will become obsolete very quickly.

Did they up the legendary drop rates? I have so many gold weapons now, on all characters. It feels like maybe they saw how shit Anthem was and realized how much people love good loot.

Possibly.
    TEKL57h.png

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Holy S.

I’ve gotten at least two from random junk piles on the ground. My record is three in a chest. Oddly enough, never seen a single atlas legendary gun.

edited March 2020
    There has been a serious increase in legendaries in bl3 compared to bl2. But this is compensated for by the anointment system. For mayhem levels after you beat the game you need to farm for the right anointments on the required items, which can take a long time.

envoy1 on
  • RiboflavinRiboflavin Registered User regular
    Riboflavin wrote: »

How does it do with Cryo grenades?

Great. I had a bouncy cryo that would leave a "Mine" everywhere it bounced. My clone would toss grenades and I had a chance to auto toss after I reloaded on the first shot. It was a glorious screen of spam. Still, not a solo build. At least for me. Our beastmaster would snipe frozen targets which was fun.

edited March 2020
    The drop rate in BL3 is just generally better than BL2 for sure and even BL1. It's been a key driver of fun for me as I've played it. The game is just less stingy, and it's very satisfying to get a new gun (orange, purple or even blue) that is good enough to use for a while or even better than what you've been running with. Dopamine hit, check!

It does feel like a dial got turned up recently, though. Last night I was taking my main Amara through the end of the TVHM storyline. I think 5-6 oranges dropped in a couple hours of playing. Whoa.

Then this morning I was running Zane through the end of the normal story. No oranges dropped when I killed the final story boss, but then I got an orange Atlas assault rifle from the vault. And after that I pulled that crazy four orange chest I pictured above. All in less than an hour.

<3

EDIT: On that 4x orange chest I did have a moment of panic. I'd moved to the side to let the NPC do his/her thing. But I moved to the wrong spot and when they stood back to let me access the chest I was pinned to the wall! No amount of crouching, running, shooting or jumping would get me unstuck. I could only spin in pace.

Fortunately I was able to reach all four oranges from where I was. Then I closed out to desktop and back in and kept on trucking. Whew!

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    First twelve minutes of the new dlc is floating around. Nothing notable drops as its a level 22 dev monitored playthrough

• CorsiniCorsini Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Is there a community patch for BL3? My googling is inconclusive.

Corsini on
    steam_sig.png
    Steam Badger A greasemonkey script for better gifting and peering
    Corsini wrote: »
    Is there a community patch for BL3? My googling is inconclusive.

No, not yet. Presumably steam will speed up development now.

First twelve minutes of the new dlc is floating around. Nothing notable drops as its a level 22 dev monitored playthrough

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZEwtMiN1kI

XBL - ArchSilversmith

That video makes me angry we aren’t getting Gaige as a playable dlc character.

Seeing as I accidentally played the Eridium slots and got my first gold (Grenade Mod: Fastball) yeah I'd say the drop rate is up.

Didn't Gearbox explicitly say "no DLC characters for BL3"?

I thought they said that with each character having 3 action skills and tons of fairly significant customizations, that the game really already has like 12 classes in it. Or something like that.

• EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »

Didn't Gearbox explicitly say "no DLC characters for BL3"?

I thought they said that with each character having 3 action skills and tons of fairly significant customizations, that the game really already has like 12 classes in it. Or something like that.

I believe they said it at launch l which is super annoying but not the biggest problem the game has unfortunately. That said krieg game super late into bl2 so I’m sure it’s a possibility depending on how much money they think they can make.

• bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Anyone got a good VH break down. I'm trying to decide who to run.

If it matters:
    I played BL1 as Lillith, Brick and Rolland
    I played 2 as Zer0, Kreig and Gaige.
    I played TPS as Athena.
    My first play throughs were Lillith and Zer0 (run and hide characters)
    My most recent runs where Rolland and Gaige, both rocking shotgun focus builds.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Someone over at a game-rumor Reddit posted a split video that seems to indicate an updated version of Tales From The Borderlands is coming. The update would add creator commentary, a 'codex' and most importantly a 'mini-episode' that picks up after the ending. Not sure how legit this is but we do have (at least) two DLCs for BL3 to go and giving Tales some new attention would make sense if one of those were to follow up a certain ECHO from Atlas HQ.