As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Resident Evil] Are you a bad enough dude to save the President's daughter... again?

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    No just secret corporate labs beneath scary houses in the woods with puzzles dumb.
    We're talking about a pretty clear spectrum of dumbness.

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Doing a Minimalist run on Claire A to finish up my RE2 cheevos - any recommendations for which weapons to grab, which to skip?

Claire is perfectly finishable with just the starting revolver, the grenade launcher and sparkshot.

• ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    No just secret corporate labs beneath scary houses in the woods with puzzles dumb.

I dunno, a secret bioweapons lab created by eccentric architects and mad scientists that goes out of control is more believable than giant forest trolls and punching boulders or whatever happens in RE6. Like, I kind of expect there's some weird secret bioweapons lab hidden out in some middle America forest. Maybe not with giant snakes and zombies, but still, at least the 'evil pharmaceutical company' angle is believable

• DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    All the stories are incredibly campy.

5 had the boulder punch qte but is a lot of fun coop. I’d def recommend playing it.

6 just took the action up a lvl, it kinda lost me there. I don’t think I finished it to be honest.

I feel deprived of an actual bad RE movie in the vein of the original game's FMV.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    WHAT.

What is this?
    STOP! Don’t-open-THAT-door!

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I feel deprived of an actual bad RE movie in the vein of the original game's FMV.

Now hold on. There has to be a cornball fan-made production on youtube or something.

You'd have higher production values with cosplayers.
    RE FMV had rubber puppets for Cerberus dogs, now you'd probably have some CGI or something. Which of course is totally unacceptable.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    rubber puppets for Cerberus dogs

When you say that, I can only think of
    09f207b4de6853e882e33c046ed90bde.jpg

• ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    I always thought the rumored Romero version of RE1 sounded cool, basically a haunted house movie like the game, compared to what we actually got as live action RE movies (even though I’m a huge Milla Jo fan)

Zavian on
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »
    I always thought the rumored Romero version of RE1 sounded cool, basically a haunted house movie like the game, compared to what we actually got as live action RE movies (even though I’m a huge Milla Jo fan)

First movie's alright as a side-tale of the RE-verse. Then the rest of the movies become more and more the producer's vehicle for 'look how cool my wife is!' though it's really the last movie that was too much for me.
    Seriously Paul? You're gonna 'Dick Jones' freaking Wesker, one of the franchise's most iconic characters for round two of your 'OC no steal' Birkin substitute? And at the end of the day, Alice doesn't even kill him! It's his holier-then-thou copy that does it and then the zombies kill him!

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

I dunno, a secret bioweapons lab created by eccentric architects and mad scientists that goes out of control is more believable than giant forest trolls and punching boulders or whatever happens in RE6. Like, I kind of expect there's some weird secret bioweapons lab hidden out in some middle America forest. Maybe not with giant snakes and zombies, but still, at least the 'evil pharmaceutical company' angle is believable

If I was getting to run a secret biological research facility in the middle of nowhere with unlimited funds and basically no oversight, you can 100% bet your ass I'm going supervillain with that shit. Moats. Snake traps. Statue puzzles. Eerie music piped throughout the facility. The works.

What's the fucking point in running an evil research facility if you don't go crazy with it?

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »

First movie's alright as a side-tale of the RE-verse. Then the rest of the movies become more and more the producer's vehicle for 'look how cool my wife is!' though it's really the last movie that was too much for me.
    Seriously Paul? You're gonna 'Dick Jones' freaking Wesker, one of the franchise's most iconic characters for round two of your 'OC no steal' Birkin substitute? And at the end of the day, Alice doesn't even kill him! It's his holier-then-thou copy that does it and then the zombies kill him!

I watched all the live-action movies as lead-up to the release of the RE2 remake and I honestly say it's the only movie series I have both completed and completely regretted watching. It is phenomenally bad. And it really didn't help that the director seems to have some utterly bizarre fetish for murdering his wife in a variety of brutal and horrific ways, because holy shit does Milla get "killed" a bunch of times and ways. That really really creeped me out; I think it maxes out in the third or fourth film, where there is literally a bigass mass-grave ditch of dead Millas from the Umbrella experiments.

As somebody who loves a good bad movie, for the love of zombies do not put yourself through the misery of those movies.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    But the real question is will Jill finally realize the love of her life has been at her side the whole time?

Samurai Edge.

I dunno dude I say it’s a sandwich. There is some deep Jill sandwich lore in resident evil.

Yes many a have attempted to get deep in * user has been banned*

Also the mansion is deliberately designed as a testing site for the various BOW. Everyone in there was expendable

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular

If I was getting to run a secret biological research facility in the middle of nowhere with unlimited funds and basically no oversight, you can 100% bet your ass I'm going supervillain with that shit. Moats. Snake traps. Statue puzzles. Eerie music piped throughout the facility. The works.

What's the fucking point in running an evil research facility if you don't go crazy with it?
    This but for a zombie franchise is pretty much how Capcom approached the games.
    If you try to pinpoint an exact point where the series jumped the rails, I doubt you'd get much consensus with others.

Thinking about it, for all the talk of Umbrella making bioweapons, do they ever - like, ever - get seen being used as actual weapons by military forces, or anyone who'd actually have paid the trillion dollars or whatever that'd make the multiple massive underground labs cost-effective? Yeah yeah, it's actually a plan by Spencer to become a god or whatever, but that's not paying their bills.

I can draw a lot of parallels between Umbrella and Aperture Science in their approaches to business. In fact, Cave Johnson was probably the better of the two.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    klemming wrote: »

This but for a zombie franchise is pretty much how Capcom approached the games.
    If you try to pinpoint an exact point where the series jumped the rails, I doubt you'd get much consensus with others.

Thinking about it, for all the talk of Umbrella making bioweapons, do they ever - like, ever - get seen being used as actual weapons by military forces, or anyone who'd actually have paid the trillion dollars or whatever that'd make the multiple massive underground labs cost-effective? Yeah yeah, it's actually a plan by Spencer to become a god or whatever, but that's not paying their bills.

I can draw a lot of parallels between Umbrella and Aperture Science in their approaches to business. In fact, Cave Johnson was probably the better of the two.
    The CGI movies have them being used by militaries and terrorists. The CGI movies IMO are way better than the live action ones, but still pretty mediocre

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Is this one of those situations where it's technically on the 19th, but it's at like 11pm PST on the 19th, which basically means normal workin' folk won't get to play it till the 20th? Or does this mean available on the 19th during the daytime?

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Presumably it will be available at the normal "daily refresh time", which for PS4 is some point in the late morning/early afternoon. I have no idea how Xbox/Steam handle such things.

metaghost wrote: »
    Presumably it will be available at the normal "daily refresh time", which for PS4 is some point in the late morning/early afternoon. I have no idea how Xbox/Steam handle such things.

Steam's usual update time is 1800 GMT, which is 1100 PST/1400 EST. I'm guessing it'll be released then but who knows.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Maybe it's the interface, but I could never get anywhere with Resident Evil 0. Not on the Gamecube and not now on the Switch.

When I say "get anywhere" I mean that literally. I don't think I ever made it off the train in the introduction.

Any recommendations?

Also, I asked this before but I forget the consensus of responses: Should I play RE0 before RE1, or should I play them in order of release? I think I vaguely remember people saying that RE0 has "call-forwards" that won't make sense and/or will spoil later games since it actually came out later. Thoughts?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Also, I asked this before but I forget the consensus of responses: Should I play RE0 before RE1, or should I play them in order of release? I think I vaguely remember people saying that RE0 has "call-forwards" that won't make sense and/or will spoil later games since it actually came out later. Thoughts?

It's been a long time, but I feel like RE0 is absolutely intended as a post-RE1 experience, it may even be a post-RE3 experience (with regards to "call-forwards").

I'd probably suggest playing RE0 after RE1 and 2, there are a couple of characters that make (relatively brief) appearances in 0 who won't make much sense without knowing the plot to those games. It does also spoil a fairly big twist in RE1 if you're not already aware of it.

On the other hand, there isn't actually a huge amount of consistency between 0 and the others characterisation-wise, so it probably doesn't matter too much.

Maybe it's the interface, but I could never get anywhere with Resident Evil 0. Not on the Gamecube and not now on the Switch.

When I say "get anywhere" I mean that literally. I don't think I ever made it off the train in the introduction.

Any recommendations?

Release order, always.
    When you say interface, do you mean the control scheme? I think they added a camera-relative alternative to the old tank controls to the RE1 HD release, I'm guessing that made it into the Switch version too. I don't know if RE0 got the same thing.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »

But I want it NOW

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    edited March 2020

Any recommendations?

The only parts that are roadblocks IMO are the end of the train section timed puzzle, which helps to have an online guide/solution for, and inventory management for when you need to use the hookshot in certain sections. Luckily everything you pick up and then drop will be available for pickup later (make sure you pick up everything in the train, even if you just drop it afterwards!). Also, items you drop will appear on your map. Besides the end of the train timed puzzle and hookshot sections, I never had a hard time with RE0 really. I enjoyed it a lot personally, though not as much as REmake. And yes, RE0 spoils something about Wesker in RE1, so if you don’t know who Wesker is it would be a big RE1 spoiler

Zavian on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

I know. This country is DANGEROUS!

It’s a Coronavirus! It’s REALLY POWERFUL, especially against living things!

Any recommendations?

The only parts that are roadblocks IMO are the end of the train section timed puzzle, which helps to have an online guide/solution for, and inventory management for when you need to use the hookshot in certain sections. Luckily everything you pick up and then drop will be available for pickup later (make sure you pick up everything in the train, even if you just drop it afterwards!). Also, items you drop will appear on your map. Besides the end of the train timed puzzle and hookshot sections, I never had a hard time with RE0 really. I enjoyed it a lot personally, though not as much as REmake. And yes, RE0 spoils something about Wesker in RE1, so if you don’t know who Wesker is it would be a big RE1 spoiler

I thought there was one noticeable difficulty spike:
    the bat boss in the church, although that's more of an issue with the camera and aiming than anything else.

edited March 2020
    Burnage wrote: »

Any recommendations?

I thought there was one noticeable difficulty spike:
    the bat boss in the church, although that's more of an issue with the camera and aiming than anything else.

That fight was super easy for me by just...
    pointing up with grenade launcher until it died. It takes 5 incendiary rounds to kill it, so make sure you save some rounds. It makes cheesing it really easy, though you have to aim up and out of camera towards it, though there’s a save point right before the fight

Zavian on
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Is this one of those situations where it's technically on the 19th, but it's at like 11pm PST on the 19th, which basically means normal workin' folk won't get to play it till the 20th? Or does this mean available on the 19th during the daytime?

Looks like it's going to be 12AM on Xbox and 1PM for PS4/Steam (eastern time).

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Here's what I think Capcom should do, long term, with the RE franchise.

Do a remake of RE1 in the same style of RE2 and RE3 remakes. I think at this point we can all agree that the GC RE1 Remake needs to be remade again. That old style of fixed camera angles is archaic and a product of the limited hardware of the PSOne. Remake the game with fully rendered 3D environments just like RE2 and RE3. That's step 1.

Then, the more controversial step, but one that I believe needs to be made for the long term health of the series, is to do a Star Trek 2009 divergent timeline. And basically give RE its own "Kelvin Timeline." Use the remade 1, 2, 3 as the baseline for the new timeline. Ignore the pre-existing RE4, and try to keep the series much more grounded in the T-Virus outbreak and the events of raccoon city. For as great as the gameplay is in RE4, that is when the series really went off the rails pretty hard. The introduction of Las Plagas, plus all of the more actiony moments and huge setpieces, and also the fact that the main villain guy in the castle is a muppet, all of that is where the series went wrong. And it only continued to go wrong from there.

So my suggestion is, make a brand new RE4 that has absolutely nothing at all to do with Leon's adventures with Las Plagas.

If they wanted to try to preserve some of the concepts, that's fine. Set it in a spooky eastern European village. That's fine. Heck, even a spooky zombie castle is fine. The parts that aren't fine are the parts where it becomes a big budget action movie with cheesy oneliners, and all of that. And make it about zombies and the T-Virus.

I don't agree with RE1 needing another remake - I think the current one still holds up pretty well - but yeah, I'd be down for CV-6 getting a mostly complete do over.

I really don't think they need to remake any more after this. Maybe Code Veronica, but all the others have aged pretty well. The old PS1 characters and SD backgrounds made them a headache to port to HD, but that doesn't affect the newer games.

Honestly, after this I'd like to see where they go from here.
    I would like to see more third-person stuff rather than just sticking with 7's scheme forever (I just prefer it, and it lets you have actual characters with a look and personality. Ethan is pretty much a blank for me), but if they were going to make a brand new RE4 without Leon and the Plagas, wouldn't it just piss off far less fans if they just called it RE8?

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    I'd kinda be interested in seeing if they'd do a new, original game with the mechanics they've created for 2/3 remakes.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Personally, I think the second they left the small American town style setting it lost something. The original RE2 is one of my all time greats, and I think the setting is a big part of it. RE3 I like for the same reason. Code Veronica goes too far into non-descript foreign area where the only losses are prisoners and scientists. Compared to an entire city lost, it doesn't have the same impact. And I'm one of those for whom 4 just wasn't my style. I'm not a fan of 5-6 either and while I get people adore 7, again it's too generic for me, especially the plot. RE2 might be generic nowadays but at the time, things like Birkin's transformation cutscene left me in awe.

Hopefully, they will switch over to some of their other great titles lost to time like Dino Crisis.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Code Veronica needs a remake because that Claire model is awesome and needs to be used again

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I'd probably suggest playing RE0 after RE1 and 2, there are a couple of characters that make (relatively brief) appearances in 0 who won't make much sense without knowing the plot to those games. It does also spoil a fairly big twist in RE1 if you're not already aware of it.

On the other hand, there isn't actually a huge amount of consistency between 0 and the others characterisation-wise, so it probably doesn't matter too much.

Is the big twist “you will definitely run out of ammo by the end of the game and will be unable to finish it because you are an idiot and suck at Resident Evil games”?

Because if so, RE1 already sprung that twist on me in the original PSX era.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

Is the big twist “you will definitely run out of ammo by the end of the game and will be unable to finish it because you are an idiot and suck at Resident Evil games”?

Because if so, RE1 already sprung that twist on me in the original PSX era.
    Presumably it's that Wesker is a bad guy.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Minimalist run on RE2 complete! Also finally got the Record in game cheevo thing for knocking Claire's final boss off the wall as it's climbing up, so I 100%'d that list.

...but not the cheevos themselves, I am one short, it seems. They added a new one!
    "Find a letter from Jill"

Gonna do a Leon B run, hope I can find it. Guessing it's in the RPD somewhere?

Oh brilliant
    Minimalist run on RE2 complete! Also finally got the Record in game cheevo thing for knocking Claire's final boss off the wall as it's climbing up, so I 100%'d that list.

...but not the cheevos themselves, I am one short, it seems. They added a new one!
    "Find a letter from Jill"

Gonna do a Leon B run, hope I can find it. Guessing it's in the RPD somewhere?

If you just want the cheevo without the warm happy feeling of finding it yourself:
    It's in Kendo's gun shop, so you have to be Leon to find it.
    I'm pretty sure it's in both A and B scenarios.