As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Animal Crossing: Putting the "social" back in "social-distancing."

StericaSterica YesRegistered User, Moderator mod
edited April 2020 in Games and Technology

I felt we were long overdue for a new thread.

What is Animal Crossing? It's a small-town life simulator from Nintendo, and it's an open-ended game where you pretty much set your own goals. Make mad cash on the Stalk Market and get the biggest house. Collect all of the wildlife for your house, or donate to the local museum! Collect furniture sets, or mix and match to unleash you inner decorator. Or become the ultimate control freak, curating who lives in your town and taking meticulous control over every square inch of the landscaping. Your imagination is the limit. In the last game I had my character transition over the summer. And that's not even getting into multiplayer! It's fun, low-key kind of game, and it typically only demands about a half-hour of your time each time. You certainly can go longer than that, but Animal Crossing is definitely more of a slow burn, expecting you to play over a little bit each day over a long period of time.

TyF9qHd.jpg

But first, some history:

Dōubutsu no Mori
N64
The very first Animal Crossing game, this never saw an English release until the GameCube version a few years later. I really miss the weird horned-hair kids the game had for Villagers in this one.
uIecD5G.jpg
Lookit that cute dork! Why wasn't this a Smash skin???

Animal Crossing: Wild World
Nintendo DS
Game number two introduced online play, along with new features like haircuts (RIP Horned Villagers). Also removed holidays which was...not well-received.

Animal Crossing: City Folk
Wii
The third game had a city portion that you could visit with expanded shops and characters.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf
3DS
Fourth in the series made you the mayor, introducing a number of quality-of-life features. You got a bit more control over the town, and there were useful city ordinances that could let you do things like shift the town's hours to be later to accommodate your real-life schedule. Also redesigned the villagers to give them more human proportions (taller, longer limbs). Also introduced Isabelle, the single most popular new character, who quickly took over as the franchise's mascot. They added her to Smash Bros.! Had a major update halfway through its lifespan that added a bunch of features such as amiibo support.

Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer
3DS
The first spinoff game, in which your job is to design homes for various villagers. Introduced an easier way to move furniture, which was added as an unlockable feature in New Leaf.

Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival
Wii U
The second spinoff game, and the only one for the ill-fated Will U. It was created after demand for a game that required and heavily drew upon amiibo for its gameplay. So, what people wanted was Skylanders, and what they got was somehow worse Mario Party. The game only uses Animal Crossing amiibo, and since you are just moving around the board and collecting bells or Win the Game Currency, there is no reason to require amiibo. They just determine your character and are required to roll your dice, which just makes the game more annoying to play since you have to pass around the gamepad. A boring, terrible game that won't even hold a young child's interest for long. Still worth buying since it's a very cheap way to get Isabelle and Digby amiibos (aka the only reason people bought this game).

Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp
Mobile
The third spinoff, this is more like a traditional AC game, except everything is covered in a slimy layer of micro-transactions. Enjoy features such as "grinding for currencies to unlock items" and "buying special currencies to make items build faster." Seriously, this game is pretty bad. But good news!

Y7WZTtu.jpg

Animals Crossing: New Horizons
Switch
The fifth main game, and the focus of the thread. Here's the new stuff:
  • You are on an island!
  • Skin tone is now an option. Uh...better late than never?
  • Hairstyles are now all unisex, so no more unlocking for the other gender.
  • You can choose how the seasons progress (Northern or Southern hemisphere)
  • Best Friend option means you can determine which visiting players can make lasting changes to your town.
  • Nook Miles are a new currency that is harder to grind than Bells and will offer unique rewards.
  • Camera mode for those sweet selfies with your favorite villagers.
  • Inventory tweaks: more space, better stacking, etc.
  • New accessories like purses and backpacks
  • More granular movement with furniture. Still a grid system.
  • The NookPhone has a bunch of apps, such as altering the landscape of your island. Need a bridge? Waterfall?
  • You can finally create paths instead of laying down patterns like a crazed artists.
  • And more!

5dVobiv.png

I will expand this with more guides and tips once we have our hands on the games. Check the Switch thread for friend codes!

YL9WnCY.png
Sterica on

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Tom Nook is not a capitalist and I will die on this hill.

liEt3nH.png
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Tom Nook is secretly gearing the island up for a Most Dangerous Game type situation, so while he seems benign now just wait...

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Tom Nook is not a capitalist and I will die on this hill.

3spqslq0dqyr.png

• Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    So to satiate my intense need for New Horizons, I loaded up my old save in New Leaf. Spent a long while pulling weeds and rediscovering my town. Somehow the clock got screwed up and it was January first 2012, and Resetti gave me what for. I have realized the thing I like least about Animal Crossing is the villagers. I don’t want them to go away, but most of the time I just ignore them.

Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    Still trying to figure out what to name my town...

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    So to satiate my intense need for New Horizons, I loaded up my old save in New Leaf. Spent a long while pulling weeds and rediscovering my town. Somehow the clock got screwed up and it was January first 2012, and Resetti gave me what for. I have realized the thing I like least about Animal Crossing is the villagers. I don’t want them to go away, but most of the time I just ignore them.

Odd, mine did this too. It then proceeded to crash time and again until the game was unplayable so uh... Beware.

• RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Is “social distancing” supposed to be the PC way of saying “quarantine”?

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Still trying to figure out what to name my town...

I will just pick whatever comes to mind when I get it. I named my town on the 3ds Lizards my other town was There

My Japanese 3ds has this problem I will not play it for a few days the time will reset back to Jan 2012 but my Japanese new leaf town hopped forward a year

• earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    I have been playing a lot of intense game lately Dead Cells/Hollow Knight/Zelda, I think this may be what the doctor ordered.

I was kinda on the fence about it for awhile because I feel like a lot of Nintendo series have been way too samey...AC,Pokemon ECT but I guess it's kinda like Smash in that it's not broken, so they ain't fixin to fix it.

Is “social distancing” supposed to be the PC way of saying “quarantine”?

Eh, it's just saying don't go out and socialize if you can help it to prevent the spread of the virus. So it's more like quarantine lite

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Quarantine is a lockdown. You don't leave, and almost nobody is allowed in. This is when you are actually infected or likely to be infected.

Social distancing is minimizing social interactions. The goal is reduce the chance of catching the disease by staying home.

Getting off-topic though.

YL9WnCY.png
    So has anyone picked and island name yet? This tends to be something I struggle with so I try to decide well in advance. Going for any island themes? Although I might play it by ear I can see myself going nuts with the Japanese garden stuff.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    I used to always name my town Ramen, because I was in college when we were playing NL and all we could afford was insta noodles.

Isla Nublar

With a name like that, what could go wrong?

YL9WnCY.png
    edited March 2020
    I always go with a different name for my town. I try to come up with something semi-original. I’m not super creative, but not so boring that I’m going to name my town Hyrule.

Last time I wanted to name my town Sanctuary but it exceeded the character limit. Hopefully they bumped it up this time.
    Sterica wrote: »
    Isla Nublar

With a name like that, what could go wrong?

A character limit.

RidleySaria on
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    So has anyone picked and island name yet? This tends to be something I struggle with so I try to decide well in advance. Going for any island themes? Although I might play it by ear I can see myself going nuts with the Japanese garden stuff.

My city/town is always Glosta, the local pronunciation of my RL hometown, Gloucester. Bonus for NH: the bulk of Gloucester is technically an island (which it shares with all of Rockport).

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Ahh, new thread smell.

I can’t think of anything better than my last town’s name: Boros.

Double meaning for me as a MTG guild and a place in Firefly.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    akjak wrote: »
    Ahh, new thread smell.

I can’t think of anything better than my last town’s name: Boros.

Double meaning for me as a MTG guild and a place in Firefly.
    Triple meaning: boozy in Hungarian.

I usually go with something cheesey like "Coolsville" or "Radtown" but this time something maybe more mature

Like... Awesometon

• LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    my partner and i always name it after a location in legend of mana.
    so far lumina and polpota have had their turn, so we've decided on madora for this one.

Instead of using an existing fictional name for my island I thought I might use a real island name. Did you know there is a real Saria island? I can’t use that name since that’s what I always name my character.

I might go with Bikini Island. It’s kind of a quirky name because that’s where they did nuclear tests.

• SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    I think I usually name my town Hampton because it sounded nice and peaceful.

Somebody posted this island designer earlier and I'm not sure I want to invest too much time into it before getting to play around with the game proper, buuuuut the urge is rising.

https://eugeneration.github.io/HappyIslandDesigner/

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    I have no idea what I'm gonna name mine. I suppose I will just go with what comes to mind at the time :P I think I usually am boring and just pick video game locations (IIRC my first AC GC town was "Hyrule") so odds are I'll probably just give it some Fire Emblem name :P

Getting tempted to take Friday off.. getting too hyped :3

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Is it known how your character appearance is set in this game? Do I need to look up an FAQ on how to answer the start-of-game questionnaire to look a certain way, or will I be able to just design my character?

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    wonderpug wrote: »
    Is it known how your character appearance is set in this game? Do I need to look up an FAQ on how to answer the start-of-game questionnaire to look a certain way, or will I be able to just design my character?

As far as I've heard, it's literally just a character designer like I believe Pocket Camp uses. No more random ass questions thank god.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    On reflection, I may name mine Rippletide after the pretty seaside town in Octopath Traveller.

Warlock82 wrote: »
    wonderpug wrote: »

As far as I've heard, it's literally just a character designer like I believe Pocket Camp uses. No more random ass questions thank god.

Also you’ll be able to change it whenever you want via any mirror.

• rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    So hyped for this. Aaaaand... we just got mandatory work from home this week. Silver lining and all, but I'll take it.

edited March 2020
    Unfortunately there’s no way I can work from home during this crisis. Emergency services have to be out in the field. No staying home for Animal Crossing unless I actually get infected. No, I love ya Animal Crossing but not that much.

RidleySaria on
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Anyone found any reviews that go into detail on multiplayer sharing an island? All the glowing reviews seem fairly solo focussed.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    So, I haven't played an Animal Crossing game since Wild World, and I am super stoked for New Horizons. And, while I am super uncreative when it comes to naming my places, there's something about the name "Pochinki" that calls to me as being the right one to go with for my island (yes, I know the actual map is called Erangel and Pochinki is just a place in Erangel...but Pochinki just has memories for me).

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular

Since my New Leaf town was called 'Suplex City', I'm going to keep my wrestle motif and call my island 'Parts Unknown'.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular

Since my New Leaf town was called 'Suplex City', I'm going to keep my wrestle motif and call my island 'Parts Unknown'.

10 character limit. Prts Unkwn at best.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    TamerBill wrote: »

Well, that is a bummer.

Gonna need a new wrestle location to keep AC continuity

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
    I think I will let my niece name my island.

...(she’s three years old)

YL9WnCY.png
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    TamerBill wrote: »

Well, that is a bummer.

Gonna need a new wrestle location to keep AC continuity

FFFunHouse
    ThsVryRing
    Compound (gotta change catch phrases to "DELETE")
    WWE PC (why not; everything else is there this month)

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Sterica wrote: »
    I think I will let my niece name my island.

...(she’s three years old)
    Given what you know of her personality, do you think it's more likely to be named something like "Squirrel", or something like "Buttbuttbu"?

The “day 1” update is actually going to be available tomorrow at 6pm PST, for those who have it preloaded.

Is this an indication that big N might actually release early because we all need it so bad? My fingers are crossed, even if it’s a long shot.

Some European stores were breaking the street date, US places are canceling the midnight launches, and the Nintendo stores themselves are closed.

Chant with me: EARLY LAUNCH EARLY LAUNCH EARLY LAUNCH

• Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    Disney got some big time mainstream goodwill press for letting Frozen 2 out on Disney+ 3 months early because of Covid. Surely there is a slim chance Nintendo might give us AC a day early? Right? Maybe? Probably not.

Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    None of these companies are suddenly going to let digital releases get ahead of retail.

This discussion has been closed.