As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This Thread Will Go Down in [History]

• GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    it is a real good channel. I especially like when it covers poorly functioning weapons and why they were made and why they sometimes had long lifetimes in spite of glaring flaws.

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Sten guns were made out of repurposed pot lids and they forgot to put a handle on and they still beat Hitler

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Sten guns were made out of repurposed pot lids and they forgot to put a handle on and they still beat Hitler

Sten: for when you absolutely positively need to murder approximately 80% of the people* in (or near) the room for a unit cost of 30 shillings or less.

*Contents may vary. Some settling may occur during shipping.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    the sten is one of the best guns in return to castle wolfenstein

• GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Having my video game firearm misconceptions corrected has been a pretty fun experience, all in all. Probably the biggest one is people think that shotguns only have a tiny effective range which is super not true for most kinds of shotguns and shot.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    people use shotguns to hunt birds

birds fly in the fucking sky! they're not usually very close!

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Shotguns are extremely versatile weapons, yeah

Almost all videogames drastically reduce the range of shotguns

And pistols too

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular

And pistols too
    Though video games also usually drastically reduce the range of engagements, too.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »

And pistols too
    Though video games also usually drastically reduce the range of engagements, too.

their depictions of hells armies are spot on

The Doom shotgun is one of the ballerest guns in the annals of game guns because it'll still tear shit up way across the room

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular

And pistols too

it isn't any fun to get killed by an opponent who takes up all of 8 pixels in the corner of a window across the map.

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »

And pistols too

it isn't any fun to get killed by an opponent who takes up all of 8 pixels in the corner of a window across the map.
    I mean depends on how you handle it, but most of the time probably, yeah. I bring that up just because unless you want to solve that design problem, then having realistic weapon effective ranges in your games would mean there'd be no reason to use a weapon with longer range than like, a carbine at most. Metas would probably be all SMGs all the time.

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I vaguely recall reading it on these boards, that a good while back, some programmer changed target hitboxes to be player-sized, and players complained it was too hard to hit. Then, iirc, they changer player hitboxes to bot-sized, and players complained that the bots hit them too easily.
    Does that sound right/familiar to anyone else?

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    sounds like gamers

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Play ARMA. Or hell, play PUBG. The shotguns are definitely video game shotguns in PUBG, but everything else is fairly true to life. There's nothing better than killing a player from hundreds of metres away. With any weapon, but my favourites were the VSS (because it's low speed meant that you had to arc the bullets a lot) or the Winchester (because it had no scope [it has a scope now]).

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Year 536 Was the Worst Year to Be Alive - What Happened? 11:39
    https://youtu.be/s3YTfhJmh1I
    Was the year 536 AD the worst ever? The 6th century boasted many exceptional events, people, and historical contributions. The exception, however, was one year that was particularly burdened with a level of tragedy and strife most historians say surpassed any other moment in history: 536 CE. This was the worst part of the Dark Ages.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Daaaaaaaaaaamm.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    Daaaaaaaaaaamm.

To clarify, nobody is calling into question the provenance of the actual Dead Sea scrolls at this time. The fragments were purchased by the idiots who own Hobby Lobby, and they seemed pretty dubious from the start.

Half the stuff in the Museum of the Bible is probably fake, because it's not an actual museum collection. It's the personal collection of a bunch of cowboys who have spent the last few decades hanging out a shingle saying "Will be swindled out of massive amounts of cash for fake Bible shit."

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    This would be the Hobby Lobby museum. Fuck them.

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Allow me to amend: BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Hobby Lobby is easily the stupidest source of income to ever appear on the books of the cursed Daesh or so one certainly certainly imagines

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Can we all get in on grifting the hobby lobby family out of money with fake artifacts?

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    Can we all get in on grifting the hobby lobby family out of money with fake artifacts?

they got sued and sanctioned for doing that

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobby_Lobby_smuggling_scandal

Only if you are less evil than the cursed Daesh

• ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Here's another tweet/thread on the Robby HobbyHobby Lobby scroll fiasco that goes into rather more detail about the scope of the fraud and its implications for biblical scholars:

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    People who hide behind their religion to deny healthcare benefits to their workers while taking their immense fortune and using it to loot archaeological treasures around the Middle East lost millions of dollars?

Sounds like a good start.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    If you're genuinely curious or interested in learning more about the bastard that founded Hobby Lobby and funded Isis, Behind the Bastards podcast did a two-part show on him.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    [60 fps] Laborers in Victorian England, 1901 5:40
    https://youtu.be/5HbElEqm1TQ
    Upscaled with neural networks footage from the dawn of film taken by Mitchell and Kenyon in North England, 1901. In the video various films taken in 1900-1901 displaying some of the grittier nature of work in those days. As you can see, source quality is really important to make a descent upscale video

This actually feels pretty surreal as heck

• MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Oh hey history thread!

Ian has (finally) organized a bunch of the Forgotten Weapons videos into playlists, so if you want to know something about, say, firearms from Ethiopia while you're working from home, you can just click that specific playlist and go.

I'm not really a gun guy, but these videos are great little fifteen-minute bits of history about the context behind why and how a given weapon was created that nearly entirely avoid typical gun-nut canards. (Ian is a collector, so he does sometimes grouse for a sentence or two about the AWB, but that's about as far as it goes.)

uH3IcEi.png
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    How Iran Threw the World's Greatest Party In a Desert 30:09
    https://youtu.be/6aF0UqC0J48
    In 1971, Iran threw an extravagant and exclusive party to commemorate the 2500th anniversary of the Persian empire. The party had a grandeur never seen before in the world's recorded history. It had delicious food from the world's best restaurant, exquisite drinks, luxurious accommodations, medieval European style decorations, and more importantly - the party had the most decorated guestlist - heads of states from 65 different countries, emperors, kings and queens, princes and princesses, sheiks, sultans, and business figures of all kinds from 5 different continents. The venue of the event was not some ancient castle or a seven-star hotel, instead, everything was organized from scratch, in the middle of a desert, by building plastic tents.
    The cost of all of this? Not a million dollars; Not a billion dollars; this party almost cost a dynasty. It proved to be a stepping stone for the rise of the Iranian revolution and the fall of the Iranian Monarchy that changed the country forever.

Wow

Nice of them to at least throw a party instead of buying a bunch of ads for a wet fart presidential campaign.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    speaking of Forgotten Weapons, this is a fun pair of videos

A WW2 French light mortar:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxxBbH-6_2w

and a WW2 German light mortar:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnQkLt3VJF8

Just very interesting to see how two different manufacturers from around the same time period made different choices designing a simple machine that does a simple job

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    If you're genuinely curious or interested in learning more about the bastard that founded Hobby Lobby and funded Isis, Behind the Bastards podcast did a two-part show on him.

Yeah, I was going to mention that in buying antiquities, real or not, Hobby Lobby was majorly funding terrorism. A lot of people suffered and died because these holier-than-thou monsters wanted to be the holiest-than-thous.

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    What's HL's take on the discovery? "Fake news?"

I gotta hand it to the museum for being so forthcoming, but I wonder if they're all gonna get fired by their boss soon.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Remarkably open and frank with a lot of "we knew nothing and were duped". Although this should be credited to the testers for insisting on a public test. The fragments have also fooled genuine experts.

Gvzbgul on
    Three Historical Accounts of the Dog-Headed Men // Marco Polo, Ibn Battuta and Sir John Mandeville 7:12
    https://youtu.be/DMAC8Pc0QDA

Somewhere in the distant seas past India, these three famous explorers from completely different backgrounds came across a race of men called the Cynocephaly: a remarkable people with the "heads of dogs". Though Sir John Mandeville's account (and very existence) is heavily questioned by historians, quite what brought the otherwise reliable Marco Polo and Ibn Battuta to corroborate the ancient legends of the Dog-Headed Men is less clear...

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Saint Christopher is often depicted as being a dog-headed man!

The Ides of March - All the Roman Conspirators Who Took Down Julius Caesar 13:48
    https://youtu.be/KlEG_VvmnZI
    The Death of Julius Caesar...What does the saying "Beware the Ides of March!" mean? It refers to the day - March 15, 44 BCE - on which Gaius Julius Caesar, a one-time dictator of ancient Rome, was murdered. His grisly assassination was legendary. But just as infamous were the conspirators behind one of the most well-known deaths in history. So just who had Julius Caesar killed?

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I read a book by one of the leading scholars on Germanic religion

I already knew that much of our information comes from authors who saw everything through the lens of Christian and Greco-Roman religion (with its more or less well-defined pantheon of gods), but it's still surprising just how weird and alien actual belief systems must've been

This discussion has been closed.