As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Resident Evil] Are you a bad enough dude to save the President's daughter... again?

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    My preferred playing order
    1-3 remakes ( a little presumptive I know)
    0 ,CV and 5/6 dont add anything of impotance to the series.
    None of the new characters ever come back and the Wesker plot lines are the worst stuff in the series imo

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    Yeah but the Wesker punch lines in Mercenaries are some of the best stuff in the series. And by punch lines I mean the way that when he punches an enemy they'll fly thirty feet back in a straight line.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Yeah but the Wesker punch lines in Mercenaries are some of the best stuff in the series. And by punch lines I mean the way that when he punches an enemy they'll fly thirty feet back in a straight line.

Thats in 4 though so you're good

Edit
    I dont mind Wesker being alive but his end game plot doesnt make any sense to me

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I dont mind Wesker being alive but his end game plot doesnt make any sense to me
    This is why I don't complain about them killing the villains in superhero movies. Keep a bad guy around for long enough and they either become toothless one-trick characters, or just escalate/degenerate into generic destroy/conquer the world for the lulz, bwahaha.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Super Wesker was fine. As was his chosen one motivation.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Screw the haters, Wesker was the heart and soul of the series to me. It's why I have a soft spot for CV, with the entire ending sequence involving Chris and Wesker. 5 as well, though I'll admit that near the end, the pot started to boil over if you catch my drift. If they ever do a CV remake though, they have to get his old VA back, or it's just not going to be the same.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    When I was a teenager I sure thought trenchcoat wearing, glasses-inside super soldier Wesker was cool. Now I wish he'd just died at the hands of his own creation in RE1. The ever increasing escalation and super soldiers and mind control and boulder punching was so awful. It's meant to be human versus well designed monsters. Birkin doesn't do flippy shit, his design is great because you can see the gradual absorption of a man by his own mutating cells.

I'm just going to say that if your brilliant master plan to take over the world includes steps like 'fake my death by being stabbed by my own creation purely through my own arrogance when it would have taken a maximum of four extra 9mm bullets to get rid of anyone who knew anything that would necessitate me faking my death', it may not actually be that masterfully planned.

When I was a teenager I sure thought trenchcoat wearing, glasses-inside super soldier Wesker was cool. Now I wish he'd just died at the hands of his own creation in RE1. The ever increasing escalation and super soldiers and mind control and boulder punching was so awful. It's meant to be human versus well designed monsters. Birkin doesn't do flippy shit, his design is great because you can see the gradual absorption of a man by his own mutating cells.

At least it makes Umbrella's super solder bio weapon program make SOME kind of sense. Since as others have pointed out like SBF, if you're a Birkin, your plan is to turn into a giant goo monster? And not change back? THAT'S your plan? At least Base-Wesker could make the case he's an evolved human. One with delusions, but still.

• HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
    Birkin only turned into a goo monster because Umbrella broke in and tried to steal his research. He got shot and injected himself to survive. Goo monster was a nasty side effect.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Not according to the remake - the notes very much imply goo monster was the end goal. Complete with mindless incest reproductive drives.

Oh brilliant
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    do they ever explain how exactly they control some of the monsters while others are mindless and will attack anything?

The uncontrollable ones are generally from outbreaks, everything they make deliberately either works or gets destroyed.

• darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    The uncontrollable ones are generally from outbreaks, everything they make deliberately either works or gets destroyed.

"works"

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    darunia106 wrote: »

"works"

Mr. X and Nemesis do a pretty damn good job, they just come up against the immovable objects that are Leon, Claire and Jill.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Even then, p.sure stuff like Tyrants and Hunters are only viable bioweapons because they've had surgical stuff done to them, computers shoved in their brains and such. They don't just get sprayed down with a virus and out pops a compliant kill machine.

I do wonder how programmable those things are. Like Mr X's instructions are presumably just "kill any witnesses left in the RPD" but it's smart enough to add Leon to a list and continue after him after he has left the RPD.

Oh brilliant
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    The whole kill witnesses thing is funny to me, it’s like oh man there was a biological outbreak that’s crazy, I’m sure Umbrella, the worlds leading manufacturer of biological nonsense that had a base and massive presence in the city has nothing to do with it. I mean there’s no evidence or witnesses left alive. I super wish we could question all these people who’ve been torn in half about what made all these giant man shaped holes in all the walls, but of all the luck they’re all torn in half

Prohass on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    An uncontrollable weapon isn't necessarily a design flaw, either. The idea behind them is probably just that you drop them or whatever virus creates them in hostile territory and let god sort them out. It's a cruel strategy, and how fast these things are shown to spread and reproduce makes it rather short sighted, but they're not the good guys here.

edited March 2020
    It sounds like the same problem with landmines, but worse. How do you make sure the uncontrollable bioweapons stay in the hostile territory, and what happens when they've killed all the enemies and you want to move in and take their stuff?

The whole bioweapon army thing would make a lot more sense if they had some kind of kill switch weakness built in, so you let them clear out everything, then spray the area with BOW-kryptonite gas.

Tyrants make sense, but the cost-benefit analysis doesn't pan out unless you can make more tyrants than your enemy has rocket launchers. I'm betting Mr X cost several dozen rocket launchers to make.

klemming on
    klemming wrote: »
    It sounds like the same problem with landmines, but worse. How do you make sure the uncontrollable bioweapons stay in the hostile territory, and what happens when they've killed all the enemies and you want to move in and take their stuff?

The whole bioweapon army thing would make a lot more sense if they had some kind of kill switch weakness built in, so you let them clear out everything, then spray the area with BOW-kryptonite gas.

Tyrants make sense, but the cost-benefit analysis doesn't pan out unless you can make more tyrants than your enemy has rocket launchers. I'm betting Mr X cost several dozen rocket launchers to make.

I think ultimately using a tyrant is as silly an idea as Jurassic world trying to justify using Raptors as military weapons. Yeah if there's a zombie apocalypse going on around it then your local forces probably wont stop it, but a melee based tyrant isn't going to last all that long against a military force. It made more sense when the creators were trying to achieve immortality, or just obsessed like birkin with their perfect creation.

Tyrants make more sense as enforcers than super soldiers.

klemming wrote: »

It's almost like the concept is in itself very stupid!

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    If Resident Evil ain't stupid, then I don't wanna play it.

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    RE3 demo is up on US PSN

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Turns out I'm very much not into the stress this is putting on me right now. Outside circumstances, I'm sure.

The dodge move is cool though. Will definitely keep this on the "to buy" list.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Where the fuck mah PC demo already

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Where the fuck mah PC demo already

@SyphonBlue it's out, I'm downloading it now.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    If I played the original RE way back on PS1, do I need to play REmake before starting 2? The story is still dumb enough that it’s unnecessary, right?

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    You'll be fine going straight to RE2.

• RamiRami Registered User regular
    If I played the original RE way back on PS1, do I need to play REmake before starting 2? The story is still dumb enough that it’s unnecessary, right?

no it's great, play it

REmake is a fantastic game

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Here's the plot of RE1 as it relates to RE2:

Umbrella Corporation made a virus that turned a bunch of people into zombies and monsters.

Chris Redfield sat in a jail cell while Jill Valentine dealt with the zombies and monsters.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I mean I will probably do it at some point anyway just because I do own it

But I kind of want to get acquainted with the newer remake before 3 comes out

edited March 2020
    Guys.

Guys.

Guys.

This is real fucking good.
    Nemesis completely fucking blindsided me, he's so much faster than Mr. X it's ridiculous. And he has a ranged attack! Jesus.

Going to take a while to get used to grenades and knives not being sub-weapons, as well.

Burnage on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I saw a wooden box sitting there, taped up with some yellow tape. Actin' all innocent.

Yup, it had goodies inside of it.

• XerinkXerink Registered User regular
    After playing through the demo: yep, Nemesis is going to be rough depending on how active he is throughout the game. Even the few minutes he's present during the demo changed the dynamics so much.

I'm both excited and terrified for the full game.

PSN: darkhart0
    3DS FC: 2234-7230-2712
    Battle.net: Kriese#1709
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    Chris Redfield sat in a jail cell while Jill Valentine dealt with the zombies and monsters.

Or visa-versa. Depends if you like more pocket space or not.

Owenashi wrote: »

Owenashi wrote: »

The canonical result of what happened in RE1 is a combination of both scenarios. Since Rebecca does not appeart at ALL in Jill's story and she's not only alive later, she had her own game in RE:0.
    Every now and then someone will say, "no this one was canon." But it was actually both.

I think the demo glitched out on me. I am unable to progress.

(Minor Spoilers)
    I got the shotgun, the fire hose, and the bolt cutters. When I go back up the metal staircase and to the door that's supposed to take me back to the other side, the door is stuck. It's making a weird clanking sound as if it isn't shutting all the way. I can't get back to the first area to use the fire hose, because I can't get past this door that won't open.

Lucascraft wrote: »
    I think the demo glitched out on me. I am unable to progress.

(Minor Spoilers)
    I got the shotgun, the fire hose, and the bolt cutters. When I go back up the metal staircase and to the door that's supposed to take me back to the other side, the door is stuck. It's making a weird clanking sound as if it isn't shutting all the way. I can't get back to the first area to use the fire hose, because I can't get past this door that won't open.

That's intentional.
    Go through the donut shop.

Ahh thanks. I was right there too.

• never dienever die Registered User regular
    Demo spoilers:
    the moment Nemesis leapt in front of me, I knew I was fucked. I pulled out the shotgun, and sprinted my ass through the map, ripping through zombies as they appeared.

Did anyone else, using their slider, end up with the game being too fucking dark? Like much darker than even 2 was all the time.