As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A very big [house] in the country

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    There's two types of bidets. There's the "European Style" that is basically a basin you fill with water and you wash your butt with your hands. Then there's the "Modern Style" which is the pressure washer sprayer that sprays right into your chocolate starfish and hooks into your toilet's water supply and sometimes has an electric warmer or a separate feed from your sink's hot water.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Wet wipes are also a good way to get a clean butt.

sig.gif
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    but you can't flush them

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    but you can't flush them

You can flush them. But you shouldn't.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    but you can't flush them

I mean, that's like saying you can flush marbles, or that you can flush Kleenex tissue. There's a lot of things you *can* flush if you really have your mind set on ruining your plumbing.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I will die not understanding how anyone has strong feelings on bidet vs. TP.

They both work. They both clean your ass (presuming you have even the slightest clue what you're doing). Use what ya got!

• Options
    Cambiata wrote: »
    but you can't flush them

I mean, that's like saying you can flush marbles, or that you can flush Kleenex tissue. There's a lot of things you *can* flush if you really have your mind set on ruining your plumbing.

If you use them as intended, they are safe for flushing. Nobody uses them as intended, though.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I don't think that's true, they don't dissolve properly.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Yeah, I definitely made my post in the wrong thread . . .

• Options
    https://www.today.com/series/one-small-thing/are-flushable-wipes-really-flushable-t151945

I know that's probably not, like, the most super duper accurate source for information, but it sounds like a couple brands flushable wipes are fine, and a bunch of other brands call their shit flushable when they aren't, and "septic safe" doesn't mean anything at all and people flush those and ruin municipal sewage collection, and in a court of law, basically unprovable as to what caused the damage.

Before I got my bidet, I would break up my wipe with a toilet brush before flushing because I'd read somewhere that was the proper way to do it. No idea if that actually does anything.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    but you can't flush them

You can flush anything.

Even a pie.

If a god or some time travelers don't intervene, it can't be that bad of an idea.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    The reason why people's sewage lines clog up with wet wipes is they don't dissolve quickly enough (tp dissolves in water) and people use a ton of them at once instead of one or two, then they flush them and boom you got yourself a shitberg.

Drains can definitely handle 1 sheet of a wet wipe without clogging unless you live in a house built in the 1600s.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Saying “it’s just one” or “how much damage can I do” is how we ended up with global warming. They come in their package soaking wet, they are not designed to break down in wet environments.

• Options
    edited March 2020

Yes there wasn't a lot of regulation on what "flushable" meant before sometime around 2014, so people were legitimately flushing woven cloth wet wipes. The article mentions the change in legislation and regulation it looks like. The ones in 2020 are a tad different, but you also still can't flush a huge wad of them down at once.

There are still also a huge chunk of them that are just wet wipes and aren't actually flushable at all, still being sold next to the toilet paper. And people are idiots.

Also people still dump fucking 12 ounces of bacon grease down their pipes every week, even though they're not supposed to.

bowen on
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Saying “it’s just one” or “how much damage can I do” is how we ended up with global warming. They come in their package soaking wet, they are not designed to break down in wet environments.

Right. It's not just my own pipes, I'm sending this down to the sewer. Even if "just one" won't hurt anything, well if everyone's sending down their 'just one' it will help create fat bergs in the sewer. So my personal plumbing is clear, now the city just has to deal with it! Fuck that. Toilet paper literally dissolves in water, even the most flushable of flushable wipes does not. Don't flush 'em.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

Yes there wasn't a lot of regulation on what "flushable" meant before sometime around 2014, so people were legitimately flushing woven cloth wet wipes. The article mentions the change in legislation and regulation it looks like. The ones in 2020 are a tad different, but you also still can't flush a huge wad of them down at once.

There are still also a huge chunk of them that are just wet wipes and aren't actually flushable at all, still being sold next to the toilet paper. And people are idiots.

Also people still dump fucking 12 ounces of bacon grease down their pipes every week, even though they're not supposed to.

What kind of a fucking imbecile would throw away bacon grease?

You cook other things IN that grease to impart extra flavour! God! Does nobody know anything?!?

• Options

What kind of a fucking imbecile would throw away bacon grease?

You cook other things IN that grease to impart extra flavour! God! Does nobody know anything?!?

People do weird/dumbshit things every day. If I could answer why I might be able to solve shit.

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Courtesy of the local farmers market, a fancy way to handle bacon grease:

rAdL8TZ.jpg

(I asked, and they were pretty adamant that putting a can in there is the way to go)

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I didn't think I needed a Winnie-the-Pooh hunny jar labeled "fat" on my countertop, but we all learn about ourselves as we go.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I didn't think I needed a Winnie-the-Pooh hunny jar labeled "fat" on my countertop, but we all learn about ourselves as we go.

Just think of all the different fats you can fill it with! Bacon, duck, ghee, leaf lard...

• Options

Just think of all the different fats you can fill it with! Bacon, duck, ghee, leaf lard...

I wonder what combo bacon and duck fat would taste like... it must be divine.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular

cook up some french fries in it

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »

cook up some french fries in it

Just like putting a foil packet of wood chips in a gas grill, could you add a (metal?) cup of greese to an air fryer for extra flavor?

• Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Does the fat go bad after a while though? I don't think I'd use the fat in near enough quantities to justify keeping it around indefinitely

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    You can render fat into lard, which is long-term (though not indefinite) shelf stable

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Does the fat go bad after a while though? I don't think I'd use the fat in near enough quantities to justify keeping it around indefinitely

Keep it in the fridge. Itll last a month or so. I rotate through a couple small containers and when a batch is almost out ill cook up a pound of bacon and start over.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    webguy20 wrote: »

Keep it in the fridge. Itll last a month or so. I rotate through a couple small containers and when a batch is almost out ill cook up a pound of bacon and start over.

You can actually freeze it, too. Which should extend the lifetime by quite a large amount, I feel?

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

You can actually freeze it, too. Which should extend the lifetime by quite a large amount, I feel?

Oh i bet. I just go through enough bacon that it’s never been an issue.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular

Absolutely.

Though just keep in mind that any fat (particularly in the fridge or freezer) should be well sealed/wrapped. They have a tendency to pick up whatever other odors or flavors that are cruising around in there and it's not good a time once they do.

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    About how much will having a power outlet installed near the toilet run me?

Going to Japan ruined me as regards the bathroom experience. My whole life I've been pooping wrong and I didn't even know it!

• Options
    About how much will having a power outlet installed near the toilet run me?

Going to Japan ruined me as regards the bathroom experience. My whole life I've been pooping wrong and I didn't even know it!

Is there one in the room nearby? Probably ~$400.

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    In the guest bath, nearest would be the GFCI outlet about six feet over. However there's likely plumbing in the way--shares a wall with the kitchen and fridge is right in that vicinity.

Master bathroom is closer, there's a GFCI on a shared wall, though there's also a pocket door in said wall.

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yeah I cook potatos with bacon fat and ghee butter. They are incredible.

Melt some cheese over them as well and you are set. I do want to get an air fryer though, I'd like to be able to make fries.

• Options
    In the guest bath, nearest would be the GFCI outlet about six feet over. However there's likely plumbing in the way--shares a wall with the kitchen and fridge is right in that vicinity.

Master bathroom is closer, there's a GFCI on a shared wall, though there's also a pocket door in said wall.

pipes being in the way is no big deal

Assuming the circuit isn't maxed it should be relatively cheap, though you'll have to clean it up and repaint or whatever once they're done.

• Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    So, I happened to take my lunch to scalp the dead grass while working from lunch and now have a huge pile of brown stuff to compost.

If I just start a pile in my backyard, how likely am I to tick off the neighbors if I just compost dead clipping and like, veggie scraps? I had thought about buying a tumbler, but this is a LOT of brown stuff that I don't really wanna waste.

Although is does seem like the tumblers are faster.

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Anyone know the code for low voltage speaker wire in basement ceilings going next to insulation?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Anyone know the code for low voltage speaker wire in basement ceilings going next to insulation?

You want in-wall rated cabling, I think CL2? It needs to be in wall rated in most jurisdictions and insurance adjusters will fuck you if you skimp pennies and there's a fire if they find non in-wall rated cable. Some locales require conduit or plenum rated cables, check local building codes or reach out to the local building inspector for guidance there.

Something like this usually complies with code:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=3846

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    I was reading in one of these threads about hospital towels being used as reusable paper towels. Anyone recall seeing anything like that? My googling isn't helping here, and I can't recall what thread it was in (thinking it was a house thread though).

PSN: jfrofl