As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Updates on [Coronavirus] Thread

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Docshifty wrote: »
    https://www.in.gov/coronavirus/

6 more cases and a second death for Indiana.

The first death was someone over 60 with respiratory problems already.

This kind of stuff makes me super scared of it. I have severe asthma... Granted I'm not in the age range of it being dangerous... Still.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    All restaurants and bars in NC are closed as of 5 pm Tuesday except for takeout and delivery.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/coronavirus/article241245211.html

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    The White House is going to hold another update press conference presumably any second now. I wonder how many days in a row they're going to do these...maybe we can coin a new phrase for them something that incorporates them being press briefings, and that they happen daily. Wouldn't that be something?

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    NHS has cancelled all non-urgent surgeries for 3 months in order to free up 30,000 hospital beds.

I'm supposed to be having surgery next month. At a private clinic, but something tells me it's not going to happen anyway.

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    All restaurants and bars in NC are closed as of 5 pm Tuesday except for takeout and delivery.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/coronavirus/article241245211.html

Welp. We were down to the occassional restaurant pick up as it is. This seals it.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    The White House is going to hold another update press conference presumably any second now. I wonder how many days in a row they're going to do these...maybe we can coin a new phrase for them something that incorporates them being press briefings, and that they happen daily. Wouldn't that be something?

He's probably trying to prove he isn't dying of Covid 19.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Chanus wrote: »
    Also don't take a lot of Tylenol.

Who needs a functioning liver, really? Though naproxen is the true superstar at kicking the shit out of your lymphatic system while treating minor aches and pains.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Apparently the Imperial College London believes the US could see as many as 2.2 million deaths if we don't switch from mitigation to suppression.

https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-report-us-uk-strategies-e45bc5d4-d2f1-40e2-825e-429b2b7c1b50.html

I don't know how respected the college is, but quite a few news sources are running with this, some claiming the report was given to Trump.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    we already have

at least most states

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    The Imperial College report is one of the things that convinced the UK government to (in a half-arsed way) step up their suppression measures and tell people to stay home, not go out to social events or places and practice social distancing. It's a well respected college and its report should be taken seriously.

• Options
    This press briefing so far has mostly just been ridiculous bullshit they could have put out in a statement rather than have the President, Vice President, Treasury Secretary, and at least three of the typical background health officials all standing around for the duration of the thing as a few of them take turns talking. It's pathetically transparent.

The only real notable thing is that the White House seems very interested in getting money to people quickly on top of the payroll tax cut that he wants. Talking like they're going to give out lump sums in excess of the $1,000 dollars that has been floated.

The most ridiculous thing has been that when people have asked about restaurants being forced to close down and resort to take out orders and delivery but that not being enough business to keep them open, Trump and Mnuchin seem to think that this only means fast food places, Trump talked about how he contacted McDonalds, Wendy's, and Burger King and told them to stay open and thinks that's a great way for people to eat, and considers them small businesses due to franchisee's.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    The Imperial College report is one of the things that convinced the UK government to (in a half-arsed way) step up their suppression measures and tell people to stay home, not go out to social events or places and practice social distancing. It's a well respected college and its report should be taken seriously.

Yeah, I was going to chime in that I'm not sure how their hard science staff stacks up, but they are hella respected in liberal arts and I've had some minor correspondences with a couple of their history professors.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    The health system where I work has just erected a quarantine tent in the parking lot

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Senior Fellow at New America and general policy wonk, Vicki Shabo, has a nice breakdown of the changes the Senate is making to "fix" the House Bill. The short version...they're stripping a lot of things out or adding more loopholes. And the original Dem bill in the House was much better before they had to water some stuff down to get the GOP on board...and yet they're STILL wanting to strip out more protections.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Apparently the Imperial College London believes the US could see as many as 2.2 million deaths if we don't switch from mitigation to suppression.

https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-report-us-uk-strategies-e45bc5d4-d2f1-40e2-825e-429b2b7c1b50.html

I don't know how respected the college is, but quite a few news sources are running with this, some claiming the report was given to Trump.

There’s a detail here I want to pull out:
    The report notes that this strategy could have to be in place until a vaccine is developed, which could take 18 months — saying it is "the only viable strategy at the current time."

18 months is a long time, but I also wonder if we aren’t being optimistic with that figure. As far as I know, though some animal-affecting coronavirusus have vaccines, we haven’t successfully developed any that address known human coronaviruses. I imagine the resources and efforts now are (hopefully) beyond any prior effort, but it still doesn’t seem like a given.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular

Well good to see my own expectations aren't wrong.

Depressing to see they're right though.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Human testing has apparently already started on one vaccine in the US. And they still say that it will take at least one or two years.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    We can't even distribute tests nationwide I don't see how we'd be able to get vaccines out

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Elections in Ohio (scheduled for today) which were on, then off, then back on, are now off until June 2. I'm annoyed that the request for an absentee ballot requires generating a PDF with your information, printing it out, signing and sending to the BOE. If I can file my state taxes 100% online, why can't I also request a ballot the same way?
    Rhetorical question. I know they want to make paying them money as easy as possible and giving votes as difficult as possible

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    m!ttens wrote: »
    Elections in Ohio (scheduled for today) which were on, then off, then back on, are now off until June 2. I'm annoyed that the request for an absentee ballot requires generating a PDF with your information, printing it out, signing and sending to the BOE. If I can file my state taxes 100% online, why can't I also request a ballot the same way?
    Rhetorical question. I know they want to make paying them money as easy as possible and giving votes as difficult as possible

I’m annoyed at this too.

I understand why it’s a bad time to vote, but the inconsistency in the information sucks, which is a shame cause I think Ohio has been handling things pretty well on the whole. So far.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    The health system where I work has just erected a quarantine tent in the parking lot

Do we work in the same place?

We're watching a video on ventilation of multiple patients using a single machine and working out the supplies we need to rig it.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Unsure if it was all of Iowa or just my city (Des Moines), we are doing the restaurant/bar closing stuff, and group cap down to 10, effective in about 7 minutes from this post.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    KhildithKhildith Registered User regular
    Texas Governor says to expect an exponential increase to Coronavirus cases.

At this point an exponential increase is just realistic, but its nice to see an official who acknowledges that this is going to get worse before it can get better.

He also goes on to claim that every Texan who needs a test will be able to get one by Friday, claiming they'll be testing 10,000 people a day. This sounds familiar but I don't know enough about the actual underlying issues to know for sure if we actually have the capacity for real widespread testing.

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    I work in a uk government office, and we've just had vulnerable people sent home, people who have had cancer, etc.

No official email or notification, though, so it may just be a local decision.

UK cinemas shutting down too, so we do seem to be about 10 days behind Italy and Spain in terms of what we're doing.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I hate the like, constant feeling of anticipation I've been feeling lately. It's like waiting for the other shoe to drop when your upstairs neighbor only has one leg or something.

• Options
    This press briefing has been going on for an hour and a half. I guess its convenient that none of these people have anything better to do than stand around behind the President while he defends calling it the "Chinese Virus" and attacking anyone who is critical of how he's handled this.

• Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular

The report notes that this strategy could have to be in place until a vaccine is developed, which could take 18 months — saying it is "the only viable strategy at the current time."

18 months is a long time, but I also wonder if we aren’t being optimistic with that figure. As far as I know, though some animal-affecting coronavirusus have vaccines, we haven’t successfully developed any that address known human coronaviruses. I imagine the resources and efforts now are (hopefully) beyond any prior effort, but it still doesn’t seem like a given.

I assume that if we finally got testing up and running properly, we could ease up a lot on the quarantine measures. Still wouldn't be a return to normal, but could help.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    TL;DR on the press briefing:

We don't understand that we started taking actions two months late, and we don't understand that we completely lack useful data. We're gonna insist that we're doing fuckin great here though.

Man at this point you just gotta hope that their ability to be the luckiest motherfuckers of all time works out for all of us, that our snail pace response was somehow sufficient, and that we don't have a massive death toll in the coming months.

Oh also ended the press briefing by saying the tests everyone else is using is a bad test which is why we didn't want them. Also saying that they were never actually offered to us.

Sleep on
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »

We don't understand that we started taking actions two months late, and we don't understand that we completely lack useful data. We're gonna insist that we're doing fuckin great here though.

Man at this point you just gotta hope that their ability to be the luckiest motherfuckers of all time works out for all of us, that our snail pace response was somehow sufficient, and that we don't have a massive death toll in the coming months.

Oh also ended the press briefing by saying the tests everyone else is using is a bad test which is why we didn't want them. Also saying that they were never actually offered to us.

Yeah this one jumped out at me. Trump (and the doctor lady?) said that the WHO test had a 50% false positive/false negative rate. The doctor clarified to "47%" I guess to make it seem more accurate, but that seems like a pretty huge failure rate to just be hearing about for the first time, coincidentally from the administration that insisted on developing its own tests.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

Yeah this one jumped out at me. Trump (and the doctor lady?) said that the WHO test had a 50% false positive/false negative rate. The doctor clarified to "47%" I guess to make it seem more accurate, but that seems like a pretty huge failure rate to just be hearing about for the first time, coincidentally from the administration that insisted on developing its own tests.

Which were faulty.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I’m not optimistic about America reopening for usual business until September at the earliest. I know people in general are thinking things will go back to normal in, like, April. But I think once we start seeing the death toll rise, it will be difficult to convince people they need to go out in public.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    I’m not optimistic about America reopening for usual business until September at the earliest. I know people in general are thinking things will go back to normal in, like, April. But I think once we start seeing the death toll rise, it will be difficult to convince people they need to go out in public.

We aren't even going to see the effect of the current restrictions for another few weeks. Then it'll take more time to actually beat down the case load.

Even if things go perfectly we're looking at probably end of May ish. At best.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited March 2020

It'll go the opposite way. After a few weeks of being stuck inside people will be tired of this shit and want to return to normal.

Honestly, I doubt any non-authoritarian state is capable of maintaining this kind of lockdown for too long.

shryke on
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

Well, if we end up developing a good vaccine on a coronavirus, maybe we'll be able to more quickly combat the next one, which could be important. Imagine this, with MERS level fatality rate. Bad times now, but they could be worse, and may very well be in the nebulous far future.

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    I work in a uk government office, and we've just had vulnerable people sent home, people who have had cancer, etc.

No official email or notification, though, so it may just be a local decision.

UK cinemas shutting down too, so we do seem to be about 10 days behind Italy and Spain in terms of what we're doing.

Just checked, its government wide.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

It'll go the opposite way. After a few weeks of being stuck inside people will be tired of this shit and want to return to normal.

Honestly, I doubt any non-authoritarian state is capable of maintaining this kind of lockdown for too long.

Yeah once summer rolls around the only thing that's going to convince people to stay inside is if people they know personally are dropping dead

• Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    State of Florida finally doing something more than zero. Governor ordered all bars and clubs closed starting at 5 PM today. To remain so for 30 days. Restaurants are not being ordered to but “recommended” to operate at 50% dine in capacity and have 6 ft separation between seating. They are also encouraged to move to take out/delivery as much as possible and employees have to be screened before working, whatever that means. It’s not nearly enough but it’s something at least.
    https://www.wjhg.com/content/news/Governor-Bars-nightclubs-to-close-at-5-pm-568863681.html

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »

Well, if we end up developing a good vaccine on a coronavirus, maybe we'll be able to more quickly combat the next one, which could be important. Imagine this, with MERS level fatality rate. Bad times now, but they could be worse, and may very well be in the nebulous far future.

Oh absolutely. I guess I’m just wondering whether the development of a human-coronavirus vaccine is more of a medical breakthrough than a given, which seems like something people are taking for granted.

Like, all these “Trust in science” memes are fine and I think well-intentioned, but science is about a process that leads to a lot of (incredibly useful!) dead ends. It’s just not clear to me where the confidence that we can accomplish this at all is coming from, and I am generally very bullish on what humanity can accomplish with attention and resources.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Dallas County just reported 5 more cases, with 3 of them being 20 to 30 year olds.

Not surprising since up to this weekend the bars were still crowded from what I saw on my social media feeds. Restaurants and bars are now closed down, but Ft Worth is still allowing them to operate and half maximum capacity.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular

IIRC, it was fairly well known that the tests other countries were using had a fairly high false negative rate (I'm not aware of there being a false positive problem), which is why every person was tested multiple times simultaneously.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
This discussion has been closed.