As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Streaming Services] You love them, you hate them, you have them all.

• Options
    notyanotya Registered User regular
    Ok, so do they like... shoot paint rounds or something?

Because even if everybody is in tanks, they're shooting at each other with tank cannons. And machine guns. Both of these are notorious for being able to easily kill, well, any multicelled complex organism that has ever lived on planet Earth.

Which seems less than ideal for a school sport.

often they're riding with their heads popping out of the top of the tank and shells are whizzing by their faces.

No one dies though. they should. but they don't.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Girls Und Panzer is delightful and the movie is actually a good animoo series movie, lots more tank fighting. The tanks are built to not hurt the passengers and just pop out white flags when they're destroyed, and they do battle in towns where they can run around and destroy whatever and it doesn't matter because it'll be repaired for free and the townsfolk watch it all at a big concert like event. Plus the stereotypes of all the different schools being different countries is what we need more of, Saunders #1 always. The only downside is on Netflix they have the series and the movie, but not the OVA that has Oorai fighting Anzio, the italian school. It's worth a watch as it's part of the tournament but you'll have to find it online.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    notya wrote: »
    Ok, so do they like... shoot paint rounds or something?

Because even if everybody is in tanks, they're shooting at each other with tank cannons. And machine guns. Both of these are notorious for being able to easily kill, well, any multicelled complex organism that has ever lived on planet Earth.

Which seems less than ideal for a school sport.

often they're riding with their heads popping out of the top of the tank and shells are whizzing by their faces.

No one dies though. they should. but they don't.

8a6sbsx0juzu.jpg

• Options
    Finished Castlevania S3. Like everything Netflix, 6 episodes at most of material stretched into 10 on top of Ellis' own escapades with decompression, with the final episode being the only standout. It actually felt less like Ellis and more like Mark Millar, with only one of the four main plots actually being good throughout. Whole season spoilers

Let's start with the good:

-final episode fight was classy, not as polished with the rotoscoping like S2 E4 but good action and techniques and going rough with Trevor's double whip at the end they should use more of that to make it more fluid
    -Trevor and Sypha and Saint Germain to a lesser extent were the highlights and saving grace for the season. It was nice that Trevor and Sypha didn't have any forced friction between them, they didn't do that annoying thing of lead action couples of downgrading Trevor to make Sypha stand out more or have to keep saving him, they worked well together and there was no jealousy or love triangle shit.
    -Jamaican Ship Captain and him basically being neutral with Isaac, equal parts entertaining the madman and trying to give us some more character development in a refreshing way
    -at least they didn't bring back Dracula

That's really about it for the good. Other things ranging from meh to bad:

-Isaac, I'm just neutral on his story. He's not redeemable as a character but the conversations with people are interesting even if he's just completely oblivious to the idea of walking around with monsters won't create hostility.
    -It really felt like Ellis finally watched Evangelion or something and wanted to put that into the show with the demon resurrection thing, even those Angels with the tridents (although those were sort of similar to what I've seen in the games).
    -Way to ruin the Judges character for lazy 14 yr old clever twist, that's what really made me cement this was more Mark Millar in approach than Ellis.
    -Alucard's whole story was cringey and pointless and you could get the same effect by having people show up to the castle next season and see skeletons outside and just infer he's got trust issues and is slowly becoming like daddy, the twins were weird and creepy and the show tried to gloss over how creepy that shit was with the three way.
    -Hector, simp. Simp! But really the whole "shit on Hector" got old at the end of last season, and I just don't care if he's ever gonna be redeemed or just eat shit his whole life. And what made it annoying is you knew Lenore was doing something the whole time and you're just waiting for it, because these days always going for the twist is so predictable her just having puppy love would have been better than crazy cat lady
    -Magic feels broken now. Forgemaster was this Iron Man Frankenstein type necromancy of having to cobble things together but now it's just stab and replace, that's low tier JJ Abrams shit. And then that fight between Isaac and the Wizard becomes less a chess match between pawns and more Green Lantern vs. dude with lil' knife and the power of plot armor, and I just don't care anymore.
    -Episode 9 thought it was being deep with the constant shifts between fights and poorly made sex scenes with the Priory fight being the only standout, but the end result was terrible tonal whiplash.

Season 4, just see what you can do with 5 episodes, just make it about Trevor and Sypha, and make it monster of the week with quality animation. And maybe not make everyone unlikable too k thx 5/10 for the season.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Castlevania S3:
    Yeah, I'm not really sure how Forgemastering is supposed to work anymore.

When Isaac made that one giant demon to fight that huge globe of people I was like... why doesn't he just make all of his demons huge like that? Can he choose how the demon will look? Did he just... decide to go for a really big demon or was that just a lucky grab from Hell at just the right moment?

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Finished Castlevania S3. Like everything Netflix, 6 episodes at most of material stretched into 10 on top of Ellis' own escapades with decompression, with the final episode being the only standout. It actually felt less like Ellis and more like Mark Millar, with only one of the four main plots actually being good throughout. Whole season spoilers

Let's start with the good:

-final episode fight was classy, not as polished with the rotoscoping like S2 E4 but good action and techniques and going rough with Trevor's double whip at the end they should use more of that to make it more fluid
    -Trevor and Sypha and Saint Germain to a lesser extent were the highlights and saving grace for the season. It was nice that Trevor and Sypha didn't have any forced friction between them, they didn't do that annoying thing of lead action couples of downgrading Trevor to make Sypha stand out more or have to keep saving him, they worked well together and there was no jealousy or love triangle shit.
    -Jamaican Ship Captain and him basically being neutral with Isaac, equal parts entertaining the madman and trying to give us some more character development in a refreshing way
    -at least they didn't bring back Dracula

That's really about it for the good. Other things ranging from meh to bad:

-Isaac, I'm just neutral on his story. He's not redeemable as a character but the conversations with people are interesting even if he's just completely oblivious to the idea of walking around with monsters won't create hostility.
    -It really felt like Ellis finally watched Evangelion or something and wanted to put that into the show with the demon resurrection thing, even those Angels with the tridents (although those were sort of similar to what I've seen in the games).
    -Way to ruin the Judges character for lazy 14 yr old clever twist, that's what really made me cement this was more Mark Millar in approach than Ellis.
    -Alucard's whole story was cringey and pointless and you could get the same effect by having people show up to the castle next season and see skeletons outside and just infer he's got trust issues and is slowly becoming like daddy, the twins were weird and creepy and the show tried to gloss over how creepy that shit was with the three way.
    -Hector, simp. Simp! But really the whole "shit on Hector" got old at the end of last season, and I just don't care if he's ever gonna be redeemed or just eat shit his whole life. And what made it annoying is you knew Lenore was doing something the whole time and you're just waiting for it, because these days always going for the twist is so predictable her just having puppy love would have been better than crazy cat lady
    -Magic feels broken now. Forgemaster was this Iron Man Frankenstein type necromancy of having to cobble things together but now it's just stab and replace, that's low tier JJ Abrams shit. And then that fight between Isaac and the Wizard becomes less a chess match between pawns and more Green Lantern vs. dude with lil' knife and the power of plot armor, and I just don't care anymore.
    -Episode 9 thought it was being deep with the constant shifts between fights and poorly made sex scenes with the Priory fight being the only standout, but the end result was terrible tonal whiplash.

Season 4, just see what you can do with 5 episodes, just make it about Trevor and Sypha, and make it monster of the week with quality animation. And maybe not make everyone unlikable too k thx 5/10 for the season.

I'm pretty sure you and I will only ever see eye to eye on the Paddington movies.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Girls Und Panzer is delightful and the movie is actually a good animoo series movie, lots more tank fighting. The tanks are built to not hurt the passengers and just pop out white flags when they're destroyed, and they do battle in towns where they can run around and destroy whatever and it doesn't matter because it'll be repaired for free and the townsfolk watch it all at a big concert like event. Plus the stereotypes of all the different schools being different countries is what we need more of, Saunders #1 always. The only downside is on Netflix they have the series and the movie, but not the OVA that has Oorai fighting Anzio, the italian school. It's worth a watch as it's part of the tournament but you'll have to find it online.

Yeah... Nooo. I saw the youtube vids on the last page. The girls should have kidney damage, neck damage and concussions... and that is just for driving these things. WW2 tanks did not have anything resembling modern suspension and there is no way room to install it without creating a completely different vehicle. No seatbelts either. The girls would be bouncing around inside those things like ping pong balls as it goes over rough terrain. Even the top speed of tanks of that era was on flat ground, not tokyo drifting through hills and forrest. Even modern tanks have trouble with this shit, there is a reason that tankers wear padded helmets and stuff.

That clip of a tank rolling over to its side and two girls immediately climbing out and trying to right it was ridiculous. In real life that crash was ambulance worthy for the crew.

I mean go with rule of cool as an explanation, but don't even try to talk realism on this.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    So how is this NBC Universal thing going to work? They're releasing movies to stream but I can't find anything to say where and how. Is it only Comcast customers? Peacock looks like it's not coming till April.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    I enjoyed the Avenue 5 finale, the series did pick up a bit as it went along. I'd still call it good not great, but I'm curious enough to see where a Season 2 goes with it.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    So how is this NBC Universal thing going to work? They're releasing movies to stream but I can't find anything to say where and how. Is it only Comcast customers? Peacock looks like it's not coming till April.

You mean the movies in theaters?

They're just offering you the ability to rent them for 20$ via Comcast.

https://www.inquirer.com/health/coronavirus/coronavirus-covid-19-nbc-universal-trolls-the-hunt-streaming-when-friday-march-20-20200317.html
    Comcast’s Peacock streaming service is due to launch widely next month. In the meantime “movies will be made available on a wide variety of on-demand services for a 48-hour rental period at a suggested retail price of $19.99 in the U.S. and the price equivalent in international markets,” the company said. The announcement was made by NBCUniversal CEO Jeff Shell.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Watched Girls und Panzer. Realism has no place here. The show knows it's a total joke, though, as evidenced by the fact that the reason "tank club" exists is to make girls more ladylike. It's basically just a really silly reason to pit a bunch of weird tank matchups against each other, without exploding everybody inside because yeah, all these girls should be suuuuuuper dead from a variety of tank-inflicted damage. Just from driving them badly, really, nevermind the tanks getting hit with bigass shells.

More importantly, the competition rules are really stupid. A new team gets like a month to learn to use the mismatched handful of rusty shitpiles just sitting around their boat-town, everybody else has years of experience using their matched sets of well-maintained tanks that outnumber them like 2:1, at a minimum. Oh, and if you're Russia, you get Russian Winter on your side which is just massive bullshit. Oh, and you can handily outweigh, outnumber, and outgun your opponent and still be allowed to field
    a 200-ton monster tank that is basically invincible to the entire enemy armament.
    Honestly, the rules of this so-called "competition" are a travesty.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Watched Girls und Panzer. Realism has no place here. The show knows it's a total joke, though, as evidenced by the fact that the reason "tank club" exists is to make girls more ladylike. It's basically just a really silly reason to pit a bunch of weird tank matchups against each other, without exploding everybody inside because yeah, all these girls should be suuuuuuper dead from a variety of tank-inflicted damage. Just from driving them badly, really, nevermind the tanks getting hit with bigass shells.

More importantly, the competition rules are really stupid. A new team gets like a month to learn to use the mismatched handful of rusty shitpiles just sitting around their boat-town, everybody else has years of experience using their matched sets of well-maintained tanks that outnumber them like 2:1, at a minimum. Oh, and if you're Russia, you get Russian Winter on your side which is just massive bullshit. Oh, and you can handily outweigh, outnumber, and outgun your opponent and still be allowed to field
    a 200-ton monster tank that is basically invincible to the entire enemy armament.

I'm sure there's probably some sort of max tonnage or something in the rules, but they're definitely the scrappy underdog team. Not really much different from real high school athletics, when you think about it. Some high schools just have way more funding for sports than others.

Looks like there's a league set max number of vehicles: https://gup.fandom.com/wiki/Rules_of_Sensha-do
    Each team may not field more vehicles than the number designated by the League.

However, it is possible to field fewer vehicles than the designated number.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    The rules sound like the League basically picks any arbitrary number they like, which isn't much of a limit.

It would be like soccer (or football, for the rest of the world) where one side gets five people because that's how many uniforms they could afford, but every team they play against fields 15-50 people at once because they've been around longer.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular

Did you check out the sequel movie?
    They had no intention of letting that school win and were deliberately stacking the deck against them.

• Options
    I didn't check out the movie, but the reasons for the cheating and one-sided fights was pretty obvious.

But it's some major popcorn-grade anime, so I didn't really care. In the end, I was mostly just there for tanks with funny animal names. The whole show is the utterly, utterly standard pile of anime tropes, dipped in tank sauce. It marginally held my interest through a single short season and I can't possibly see any reason why I would force myself through any more than that; there's no stakes in the setting I care about out in the least, and the running joke of the tank club only goes so far.

• Options
    notyanotya Registered User regular
    I didn't check out the movie, but the reasons for the cheating and one-sided fights was pretty obvious.

But it's some major popcorn-grade anime, so I didn't really care. In the end, I was mostly just there for tanks with funny animal names. The whole show is the utterly, utterly standard pile of anime tropes, dipped in tank sauce. It marginally held my interest through a single short season and I can't possibly see any reason why I would force myself through any more than that; there's no stakes in the setting I care about out in the least, and the running joke of the tank club only goes so far.

the movie has the best action scene (+ music) in the entire show.

• Options
    A lot of animoo sucks when using 3D models but G&P uses it really well for all the tank stuff and the movie is even better. Roller coaster tank drifting like what!

• Options
    edited March 2020
    notya wrote: »

the movie has the best action scene (+ music) in the entire show.

Meh. My suspension of disbelief only goes so far, and the show thoroughly expended that with flipped tanks and half-exploded tanks and MG fire and the worst injury was a broken pair of glasses. I was at my limit when everybody is driving around within a hundred feet of each other and somehow nobody could manage to shoot an enemy tank, even with both teams crammed into city streets.

I enjoyed some of what I saw, but there's just not much to the premise and I have no interest in watching the show for more anime tropes. The mix of 3D tanks and animated everything else was well-done, though, and at least the show was an actual show instead of another Netflix original anime where they use the same corner-cutting, soulless, shitty 3s CG-style animation for everything again.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    LostNinja wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    kime wrote: »
    kime wrote: »
    If you haven't heard yet, Frozen 2 is now out on Disney+, several months earlier than planned just because of how many people (kids especially) are stuck home recently

And a few hours later, I can now reliably say that if you haven't seen Frozen 2 yet, you should.

The music isn't as good as the first one, but it's a better movie.

Lost in the Woods is a better song than Into the Unknown. This is fact.

I watched it yesterday (bought the UHD blu-ray last week, no regrets) and I agree with this entirely. The music overall wasn’t as catchy (and thus won’t haunt me in my dreams), but I liked the movie better.

I liked Frozen 2, though not as much as the first, largely because the soundtrack in the first is stellar.

But 2 is gorgeous, and the part with Elsa in the ocean is one of the most visually striking animated sequences I've ever seen. The reason it's not THE most striking is because Into the Spiderverse is a thing that exists.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Aphostile wrote: »

https://www.inquirer.com/health/coronavirus/coronavirus-covid-19-nbc-universal-trolls-the-hunt-streaming-when-friday-march-20-20200317.html
    Comcast’s Peacock streaming service is due to launch widely next month. In the meantime “movies will be made available on a wide variety of on-demand services for a 48-hour rental period at a suggested retail price of $19.99 in the U.S. and the price equivalent in international markets,” the company said. The announcement was made by NBCUniversal CEO Jeff Shell.

On the one hand, if I'm watching a movie with one other person, I'm breaking even.

On the other hand, if I'm watching a movie on my television instead of a giant movie screen, and I have thousands of films to pick from, and most of them rent for $5 or so...

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Aphostile wrote: »

On the one hand, if I'm watching a movie with one other person, I'm breaking even.

On the other hand, if I'm watching a movie on my television instead of a giant movie screen, and I have thousands of films to pick from, and most of them rent for $5 or so...

Yeah, that seems high.

I think the price of a standard cinema ticket is fine, plus they’ll have essentially a captive audience for the few months.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    It's per TV, not per person, so higher makes sense in some ways.

Also this is almost certainly just a "make some money while we can" thing and they are very much not going to price this in any way that creates expectations about this kind of thing going on post-pandemic.

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    It looks like the EU is asking Netflix to switch to SD streaming to lessen congestion on the internet.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/19/tech/netflix-internet-overload-eu/index.html

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I only pop into this thread on occasion. I managed to give Sinner a shot and I'm still in the first season. Quite well done so far! The pace is starting to lag a bit; I'm on episode....5?

Is the second season worth a go?

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I only pop into this thread on occasion. I managed to give Sinner a shot and I'm still in the first season. Quite well done so far! The pace is starting to lag a bit; I'm on episode....5?

Is the second season worth a go?

I liked the second season more than the first.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    It looks like the EU is asking Netflix to switch to SD streaming to lessen congestion on the internet.

I hadn't considered that, but it makes sense.

AND PEOPLE CALLED ME A DINOSAUR FOR CONTINUING TO PURCHASE PHYSICAL MEDIA, WHO'S LAUGHING NOW MOTHERFUCKERS

• Options
    In less shouty news, the season one finale of Justified is fanfuckingtastic.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular

AND PEOPLE CALLED ME A DINOSAUR FOR CONTINUING TO PURCHASE PHYSICAL MEDIA, WHO'S LAUGHING NOW MOTHERFUCKERS

:Laughs at you in 16tb of network attached storage:

• Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    I have rewatched that show maybe 5 or 6 times. Raylan might be my favorite character from any show.

Also, been watching the Italian show Gomorrah As I am working from home at the moment. It’s pretty good - pretty much everybody is an asshole in some form.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    I really liked Justified season 1, but later seasons felt a bit too soap opera for me. It's not about anything any more, it's just a bunch of characters banging into each other. It's the same sort of problem I have with GoT.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Fast turn around on Harley Quinn season 2. April 3.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    I really liked Justified season 1, but later seasons felt a bit too soap opera for me. It's not about anything any more, it's just a bunch of characters banging into each other. It's the same sort of problem I have with GoT.

Season 2 is better than season 1.

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    I could sit and watch Raylan and Boyd chew scenery all day! Pepper in a bit of Wynn and Dickie just for funsies.

Banzai5150 on
    50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited March 2020

It's not just that they asked, netflix agreed to it.

I really want someone to shove this in the executives faces from google and MS who said at E3 last year "nah, ISP's will get out of the way of (game) streaming" when questioned about viability considering caps/speed limits/last mile, and other things. Yeah gamestop is collapsing, streaming is the future, we probably wont be buying games by the 'end' of this next gen, but man the attitude about this seems very short sighted unless they are just going to buy up the ISPs.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »

My client is not required to answer where he obtained the 16tb of content as part of these proceedings.

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »

Only one drive? https://www.newegg.com/seagate-exos-x16-st16000nm002g-16tb/p/N82E16822184808

But the real reason I came into the thread - I watched The Letter for the King last night and found it rather enjoyable as a Friday night escape. At 6 episodes, some of the subplots were a bit rushed, but overall B+ solid effort.

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Mortal Kombat is coming to Netflix in April.

https://youtu.be/EAwWPadFsOA

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Mortal Kombat is coming to Netflix in April.

https://youtu.be/EAwWPadFsOA

This movie is second only to Tron: Legacy for best soundtrack.

• Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Huh, there's an Altered Carbon anime now

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Yeah, but its in that weird quasi-3d cgi like the Dragon Prince... Honestly what is wrong with straight up regular 2d animation powered by cgi? Like you get the cost benefit while still having the 2d visuals that look nice. Instead you get weird golem like things that don't resemble real people but give you the uncanny valley hebi-jebies.

For a show that does it right watch Kipo and the Age of the Wonderbeasts. I came over it recently and its pretty fun. Its set in a post-apocalyptic world where humanity is hiding in underground vaults while the surface is taken over by sentient Mutant creatures. Like Timbercats; Half kittens, half lumberjacks. Or Hummingbombers, half hummingbirds, Half Crazy bomthrowing loons. What is not to like?

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
This discussion has been closed.